SV OU Band Ttar and Top 2

Here's the pokepaste cause I know half of you don't care what I have to say and just want the team. I got y'all

https://pokepast.es/25ac37f387597ae5

Hello guys, gals and non binary pals. With the recent drop of Tyranitar to RU I wanted to build a team around our boy to see if he still has a place in the meta game. With Tyranitars many weaknesses to most of the top mons in the meta game I knew that a defensive set was not the way to go and instead opted for a for a choice band wall breaker set. Let's get into the mons.

tyranitar.gif

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Tera Blast
- Stealth Rock

Tyranitar is the wall breaker of the team. With it's natural bulk it's able to come in on defensive mons like Gloking, Zapdos, Moltres (watch for Willow Wisp) and Heatran and threaten them with big damage. It's ability Sand Stream is also perfect for breaking Focus sash on leads like Samurott-Hisui, Meow, and Trick Room Hatterene, so I'll often lead with it and then switch out into one of the other defensive mons on this team.
Choice band kinda speaks for it's self on this mon. It takes it's already monstrous attack and pushes it through the roof. Crunch is the move you click most of the time, Stone edge does big damage and is no contact so it's great catching Zap and Moltres on the switch. I decided that Tera Blast Fly is the best third move due the big damage it gives against Great Tusk and the defisive utility it gives again Tusk as well. For the last slot I was stuck between earthquake for coverage but I found that this team needed some form of hazards (you'll see why soon) so I chose Stealth Rocks for the lat move. With Tyranitar's ability to force switches on defensive mons it's rather easy to get off a cheeky Stealth Rock.

great-tusk.png

Great Tusk @ Leftovers
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Spinner
- Bulk Up
- Rapid Spin

When thinking of how to make Ttar work the first thing that came to mind was "Why not pair it with the best mon in the tier?" Enter Great Tusk. This mon is the perfect mid or late game sweeper. I ran Stealth Rocks on Ttar to free this mon up so it could run a Bulk Up set. After Ttar has punched a hole the opponents team Bulk Up Tusk comes in to take advantage of the weakened mons. I opted for the basic set of max Hp max Speed jolly to be as bulky and fast as possible after one rapid spin. Bulk up is perfect for set up mons like Dragonite, Bax (after you Tera Water), and Kinggambit. If the opponent has any of those set up mons Tusk's only job is wait for them to come in and set up with them. Earthquake and Ice Spinner give you pretty good coverage against most things.

kingambit.png

Kingambit @ Leftovers
Ability: Supreme Overlord
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Kowtow Cleave
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

My next thought was why not take this even even further and put the next best mon in the tier on this team as well. Once the opponent is worn down by Ttar and Great Tusk, Kingambit comes in to clean up and finish the game. Kingambit does so much. It's a ghost and dark resists for the team, it's a late game sweeper, it's a wall breaker, it has priority, and it has the Tera surprise factor. I like Tera fairy for the fighting resist and overall lack of weaknesses. The set is just you basic swords dance with STABs and Sucker. I didn't want to worry about Low Kick for other Gambits because it's Tusk's job to take care of other Gambits, if you find yourself in an end game with your Gambit against another Gambit and you don't have Tusk you probably have done something wrong.

dragapult.gif

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

Looking the first 3 mons I realized that they're all physical attackers and all very slow, and 2 of them have 4x weaknesses to fighting. So I wanted to add a fast, speacial attacking ghost type to round out my offense. My first thought was Choice Scarf Zoroark-Hisui, but in keeping with the "pairing Ttar with top tiers" theme I opted for choice specs Dragapult instead. The set is just your cookie cutter, STABS plus Flamethower for Steels, and U-turn for momentum. Also Tera-Ghost for those super Shadow Balls in the late game. This mon is the perfect speed control and helps bring in Ttar and the 2 top tiers, because the defensive mons that want to come in on Pault can be easily chipped and worn down by the first 3 mons on this team.

rotom-wash.gif

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Next up we have the first part of the real defensive back bone of this team, Rotom-Wash. I mean what can I say that hasn't already been said? This mon is just a swiss army knife. It provides a ground immunity, a water resist and a fire resist. This mon is also a great check to a lot of offensive threats. Volt switch sets up the Volt-Turn combo with Pult and Moltres (we will talk about this god next), and Hydro Pump let's you weaken and KO ground type like Tusk, Ting Lu, and Lando T. Thunder Wave is perfect for crippling attackers and can be used to bait and counter suck punches from king Kingambit in a pinch. Once those physical attackers like Kingambit and Dragonite are Para'd they are pretty much set up fodder for Great Tusk. Protect is a no brainer due to lack of recovery moves due to it allowing you to cover enough HP to be out of range of a lot of attacking moves, and allowing you to scout for moves from choiced mons. I chose Tera poison to give you a fighting and fairy resit to counter/check Great Tusk, Enamorus, and some physical or mixed Iron Valiant Sets, and then threaten with a Thunder Wave, Hydro Pump or volt switch in a pinch. You could also opt for Tera Ghost or Steel is you're having trouble with Dragon Dance Dragonite, but I've found it's relatively easy to play around if you keep Rotom and Great Tusk Healthy.

moltres.gif

Moltres @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 244 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Flamethrower

The last mon that completes the defensive back bone and this team is Moltres. I called this mon a God before and I meant it. With full SpD and Flame body is checks so many mons. It counters most Iron Valiant and Enamorus sets and is usally my main switch in to either of those mons. Non choice specs Thunderbolt from Iron Valiant only does 39% - 46% and even if it is Choice Specs you can Tera Fairy in a pinch. With flame body you can cripple physical Iron Valiant, and Zamazenta. I also opted for a Careful nature because I didn't want to take away damage from Brave bird and I wanted full defense on both sides. With careful nature Brave Bird has an 87% chance to kill Iron Valiant from full and does 60% - 70% to Enamorus even if it wants to set up with Calm Mind. Also with a Careful nature Moltres still does 42% - 52% to fully Spdef Gholdengo. Moltres and Rotom have so much defensive synergy together so I also opted for U-turn over Willow Wisp to further the Volt-Turn combo on this team.

Well that's the team. As you can see I didn't want to reinvent the wheel with all of these mons. I just wanted to go with what's good to allow Tyranitar to shine as much as possible. Through my testing I've found that this team works best into other Balance Cores and some stall teams. I've also found that Ttar destroys Trick Room due to Sand Stream plus it's breaking power.

This team struggles against HO and can also easily be worn down by hazards due to the only hazard control being bulk up Tusk.

Some treats are Garganacl due to this team having no covert cloak. Set up sets are especially scary. If the enemy Garg starts setting up the best thing to do is go to Rotom and Tera poison and throw off some Hydro pumps. If they tera water you can Volt out into Dragapult and hopefully threaten a KO with Draco.

Another threat for this team is Baxcalibur. Rotom and Tera Water Tusk are a good checks for the Ice moves but Banded Glaive Rush can still destroy both if they're not at full HP or coming in on the switch. This team does not have a natural Fairy type so all powerful dragon moves can be very threatening.

The last annoying mon for this team is Amoongus. If this mon wants to put something to sleep it will and there's not much you can do about it. There's also not much that can threaten with a KO out right it's hard to revenge kill once it's put something to sleep. Your best bet is to let it put either Moltres or Rotom to sleep and then bring in Tyranitar to 2 hit KO with Crunch or maybe blow tera and catch it with a Tera Blast flying.

This team has gotten me to the 1500's so far but I'm planning on climbing higher. If there are any improvements please let know. Thank you everyone

:boi:

Hey there! I'll just say it here and now- it's been ages since I've rated. But I'll go ahead and give it my best shot.

:woop:Major changes :woop:

:Dragapult: --> :choice scarf: :Gholdengo:
This will give you a much better mu Vs the likes of :kingambit: with or without tera, helps you beat :amoonguss: ( which you considered a threat before) as well as all pult variants, which threatened you ( especially choiced variants seemed to give you some trouble ) and overall better speed control Vs a fast paced meta, since trick + :tyranitar: is great Vs stall. Also you're not lacking in momentum anyways tbh.

:Great tusk: --> defensive set.

You've already got a wincon ( one of the best in :kingambit:),so I found BU tusk a bit excessive. You've also awkwardly got rocks on :choice band: :tyranitar:, which makes them hard to get up, since you'll always have to swap out afterwards. This means you can run EQ on ttar for extra coverage ( helps Vs :heatran: and :garganacl: off the top of my head), and have an extra defensive Mon to support your main core.

:Rotom wash: + :moltres:

I'm just gonna ask why you're running Phys Def wash tom and spdef molt over the other way around? Phys Def molt just seems like a no brainer to me, since you check valiant and enam without spdef on molt, but I'll come back to molt later anyways.

:wo: minor changes:wo:

:Kingambit: tera --> flying

This one just seemed like a no-brainer to me, since unless you're running t-blast ( another option), you should probably just run flying to stop eqs, since fairy doesn't give you a lot of extra resists ( nobody's clicking dark moves Vs this man).

:Moltres: set

I'm thinking you should probably at least run hurricane. It'll be doing a lot more damage off of it's higher spA, and you don't have to run -SpA nature too. This means you can guarantee an ohko Vs valiant, and also ohko tusk ( I'm pretty sure), who you want to KO before you get knocked. It also means you ignore that nasty recoil, and get the cheese chance with confuse.

:Rotom wash: --> tera steel

You've already got molt for enam and the pretty rare offensive tusk who you can't even para, so steel will let you reliably para and chip Bax and d-nite, since Bax looks like a big problem for you.

:Kingambit: :leftovers: --> :heavy duty boots:

This last one is optional, and more of a side grade than anything else. While you lose slight recovery, the immunity to hazards ( especially with tera flying) is certainly useful. You don't have to run this, but it's more down to personal preference.

... Did you read all that?

Sorry if I rambled on for a "wee" bit, but I'll add an updated paste for convenience.

https://pokepast.es/015e31205d10da16

That's about all for now, ask me any questions you have about the team, and I'll be sure to reply as soon as I can! I hope this updated version helps you climb higher and good luck!​

Last edited:
Hey there! I'll just say it here and now- it's been ages since I've rated. But I'll go ahead and give it my best shot.

:woop:Major changes :woop:

:Dragapult: --> :choice scarf: :Gholdengo:
This will give you a much better my Vs the likes of :kingambit: with or without tera, helps you beat :amoonguss: ( which you considered a threat before) as well as all pult variants, which threatened you ( especially choiced variants seemed to give you some trouble ) and overall better speed control Vs a fast paced meta, since trick + :tyranitar: is great Vs stall. Also you're not lacking in momentum anyways tbh.

:Great tusk: --> defensive set.

You've already got a wincon ( one of the best in :kingambit:),so I found BU tusk a bit excessive. You've also awkwardly got rocks on :choice band: :tyranitar:, which makes them hard to get up, since you'll always have to swap out afterwards. This means you can run EQ on ttar for extra coverage ( helps Vs :heatran: and :garganacl: off the top of my head), and have an extra defensive Mon to support your main core.

:Rotom wash: + :moltres:

I'm just gonna ask why you're running Phys Def wash tom and spdef molt over the other way around? Phys Def molt just seems like a no brainer to me, since you check valiant and enam without spdef on molt, but I'll come back to molt later anyways.

:wo: minor changes:wo:

:Kingambit: tera --> flying

This one just seemed like a no-brainer to me, since unless you're running t-blast ( another option), you should probably just run flying to stop eqs, since fairy doesn't give you a lot of extra resists ( nobody's clicking dark moves Vs this man).

:Moltres: set

I'm thinking you should probably at least run hurricane. It'll be doing a lot more damage off of it's higher spA, and you don't have to run -SpA nature too. This means you can guarantee an ohko Vs valiant, and also ohko tusk ( I'm pretty sure), who you want to KO before you get knocked. It also means you ignore that nasty recoil, and get the cheese chance with confuse.

:Rotom wash: --> tera steel

You've already got molt for enam and the pretty rare offensive tusk who you can't even para, so steel will let you reliably para and chip Bax and d-nite, since Bax looks like a big problem for you.

:Kingambit: :leftovers: --> :heavy duty boots:

This last one is optional, and more of a side grade than anything else. While you lose slight recovery, the immunity to hazards ( especially with tera flying) is certainly useful. You don't have to run this, but it's more down to personal preference.

... Did you read all that?

Sorry if I rambled on for a "wee" bit, but I'll add an updated paste for convenience.

https://pokepast.es/015e31205d10da16

That's about all for now, ask me any questions you have about the team, and I'll be sure to reply as soon as I can! I hope this updated version helps you climb higher and good luck!​
Hey! I did read all that. Thank for the insight, I like everything you suggested and I'm going to test them out and see how it goes.

How do you feel about Ttar in OU?

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey! I did read all that. Thank for the insight, I like everything you suggested and I'm going to test them out and see how it goes.

How do you feel about Ttar in OU?
Underrated, but with the additional fairies and Dengo since pre-home its much harder to find reasoning it to have it outside setting up SS

Underrated, but with the additional fairies and Dengo since pre-home its much harder to find reasoning it to have it outside setting up SS
I feel that. In your opinion if I wanted a more serious team what would be a good mon to replace it on this build?

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I feel that. In your opinion if I wanted a more serious team what would be a good mon to replace it on this build?
I think it's fine to keep, maybe consider Tera Fire for all the Steel / Fairy moves that will be directed at it. I would say maybe consider HDB over Choice Band but that's more of a playstyle recommendation but I feel like it can easily work in this meta, your team members (which Moltres) is doing a solid job already will have to do some of the defensive carrying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)