Basculin (Update) (GP 2/2)

I take too long with skeletons usually, so to prevent that from happening this time, I'm doing it all immediately

MASCULINE

[Overview]

<p>Basculin's primary advantage over other Water-types in the tier comes from its useful ability, Adaptability. Because of its ability, Basculin's Water-type moves are noticeably stronger than those of other physically attacking Water-types in the tier, such as Samurott, Carracosta, and Floatzel. In addition to this, Basculin is fairly fast, and the ability to outspeed Jynx, as well as many other dangerous offensive Pokemon such as Sawk, is a valuable asset. Despite this offensive advantage, Basculin can be relatively easy to wall with the correct Pokemon due to its heavy dependency on its STAB moves. The aforementioned Water-types also have wider movepools than Basculin, giving them an advantage in coverage, and a few also have setup options. Overall, if you need a physically attacking Water-type, consider Basculin, but be sure to utilize its niche well.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Waterfall
move 2: Aqua Jet
move 3: Double-Edge
move 4: Superpower
item: Choice Band
ability: Adaptability
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The best way to use Basculin is by using a simple Choice Band set. However, prediction is necessary to make this set work&mdash;there are many Pokemon that can absorb Water-type moves in NU, including Jynx and Seismitoad, and allowing them to freely switch in could result in them using the opportunity to set up. As a result, Pokemon such as these must be dealt with via coverage moves or with other Pokemon before Basculin can freely use its STAB moves. Waterfall is its main STAB option; because it's powered up by Adaptability, it hits fairly hard. Basculin's Aqua Jet is the strongest in the tier thanks to Adaptability, and because of this, it is powerful enough to 2HKO frailer foes, such as Primeape and even Scolipede, which discourages them from switching in to revenge kill it. Double-Edge allows Basculin to get nearly perfect coverage, hitting every Pokemon in NU bar Cradily, Shedinja, and NFEs for at least neutral damage. Furthermore, it is powerful enough to 2HKO Pokemon that absorb Water-type moves, such as non-physically defensive Seismitoad and Mantine, while easily OHKOing Jynx. Superpower is mostly filler, but its high Base Power allows it to inflict massive damage to certain foes weak to the move, including Miltank, Lickilicky, Carracosta, and Cradily.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Despite the prediction that this set needs to be successful, a Choice Band is the preferred item for a few reasons. Basculin, especially late-game, rarely finds itself switching moves, meaning being locked into the move isn't as big of a deal. In addition, the extra power is needed for Basculin to have a chance at 2HKOing foes such as Scolipede and Seismitoad with Aqua Jet and Double-Edge, respectively, making a Life Orb slightly underwhelming. Jolly is the preferred nature for Basculin, as despite its access to priority, outspeeding Timid Jynx is one of Basculin's best traits in NU. Adaptability is heavily suggested for Basculin in order to give it the power it needs to rival its competition. In regards to moveslots, Toxic is a usable alternative to surprise Pokemon that wall it, such as Alomomola and Tangela, but having this move sacrifices coverage and being locked into a non-damaging move can be taken advantage of. Return can be used over Double-Edge if you dislike the recoil damage and do not mind the power drop, but missing out on certain 2HKOs, such as on Seismitoad, could potentially prove game-changing.</p>

<p>As previously mentioned, Basculin struggles against Alomomola and Tangela, as both have a very high Defense stat and resist Water. For this reason, Electabuzz is a great partner, as it has Vital Spirit to take a Sleep Powder from Tangela, and it has an Electric-type STAB in order to handle Alomomola. Grass-types that aren't Tangela can also prove to be annoying, as they resist Water. Due to this, Flying-types, such as Braviary and Swellow, can be good partners, easily OHKOing most Grass-types. Although Basculin can hit most of them hard, Pokemon that absorb Water-type moves, including Seismitoad and Jynx, along with Ludicolo, can easily switch into Basculin's STAB. To ease prediction, Electabuzz can help once again because it outspeeds them all and hits most of them hard in return. Eelektross makes a good partner as well, hitting all of them hard with the appropriate move. Eelektross also provides a slow U-turn or Volt Switch to allow Basculin to get on the field safely.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Basculin's rather pitiful movepool leaves it with few other options. Basculin has Mold Breaker, which can be useful because it can outspeed and OHKO most Stealth Rock leads, such as Golem, with its STAB, but it is otherwise inferior to Adaptability. Ice Beam can be used to surprise Tangela and Dragon-types, but its usage stops there. Taunt can be used to nearly shut down Alomomola, but this turns into a stalemate without Toxic, as Basculin has no prayer of actually defeating Alomomola directly. Crunch is Basculin's only way to hit Frillish, but it is rare enough to practically ignore. Basculin has access to Agility, but Floatzel's access to Swift Swim makes it a better Pokemon at boosting its Speed. An Expert Belt can be used to bluff a Choice set to surprise Pokemon, notably Frillish with Crunch, when they expect a free switch, but neutral targets are hit for relatively little damage in this case. Expert Belt also has the advantage of being able to surprise most Stealth Rock leads with a combination of Waterfall and Aqua Jet, preventing them from activating their Custap Berries, which is important if you don't want to use Mold Breaker. Finally, Final Gambit is an interesting option to take down just about anything, but it is extremely risky since Basculin will faint afterwards, and its HP isn't very high without investment. It also wastes Basculin's potential to clean up late-game.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Frillish is the definition of a counter for the Choice Band set, as it is immune to everything listed on the set, only fearing the rare Crunch. Aside from that, Alomomola does extremely well against Basculin, taking little damage from all of its moves and allowing it to stall out Basculin. Tangela also takes little damage from Basculin's moves and can easily dispatch it with a Giga Drain. Other Grass-types can also switch into Basculin's STAB moves easily; specific examples are Leafeon, thanks to its massive Defense stat, and Serperior, which can set up on it. Dragon-types, such as Fraxure and Shelgon, also resist Water, and their bulk can be further augmented by an Eviolite, allowing them to set up Dragon Dance against Basculin. Although Seismitoad, Ludicolo, and Jynx risk getting 2HKOed (or in Jynx's case, OHKOed) by a coverage move, their ability to absorb to Water-type attacks (or in Ludicolo's case, its 4x resistance) allow them to switch into Basculin's STAB move, forcing it to switch out. Finally, many Pokemon can revenge kill it, including Electabuzz and Choice Scarf Rotom-S, but note that many revenge killers take a surprising amount of damage from Aqua Jet and can't switch into a Waterfall.</p>

[Overview]
  • Adaptability gives it an edge in power over the other Water-types in the tier, making its Waterfall and Aqua Jet stronger
  • 98 Base Speed is pretty useful in a metagame where 95 base speed is considered to be good, with Pokemon such as Jynx being around.
  • Easy to wall with the correct Pokemon due to a high dependency on its STAB moves.
  • Lots of competition from Samurott, who packs Megahorn and Swords Dance, and Floatzel, who has better stats.
  • Overall, if you need a fast and strong physical Water-type, consider Basculin, but remember - it is fairly niche.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Pretty simple set - hit hard until you die
  • Actually, its not quite as simple as it may let on - you need to predict moderately well to prevent an unwanted switch in, such as Jynx or Seismitoad into your Water moves.
  • Waterfall is the main STAB, and hits rather hard.
  • Basculin happens to get the strongest Aqua Jet in the tier, meaning it can pick off weakened foes fairly well, 2HKOing frailer foes like Primeape to dissuade them from switching in at all.
  • Double-Edge gets good coverage with Water moves, getting perfect coverage in the tier other than NFEs and Cradily. It can also 2HKO Specially Defensive Seismitoad, a Pokemon that is immune to Water moves.
  • Superpower hits Normal-types such as Miltank and Lickilicky and stuff like Carracosta and Cradily harder than anything else.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • A Choice Band is preferred as Basculin won't switch moves often.
  • You could use a Life Orb as a substitute, but the difference is a bit noticeable and it wears down rather fast with it.
  • If you aren't using Adaptability, Basculin is rarely worth using over, say, Floatzel.
  • Jolly is practically needed, as if Basculin doesn't outspeed the foe, it can easily be OHKOed due to its fraility.
  • Toxic is usable to surprise things that wall it, but it sacrifices coverage.
  • Alomomola and Tangela are this thing's mortal enemies. Electabuzz makes a good partner, having Vital Spirit and an Electric STAB to take them on.
  • Actually in general Grass-types are pretty much jerks to Basculin. Due to this, Flying-types such as Swellow and Braviary make good partners, being able to take them on and smash them with Brave Bird.
  • Although Basculin can destroy them, Water immune Pokemon and Ludicolo can easily switch into the two main moves it will be using. To ease prediction, Electabuzz can help once again because it outspeeds them all and hits most of them hard, but Eelektross makes a good partner as well, hitting all 4 of them hard with the appropriate move. Eelektross also provides a slow U-turn/Volt Switch to allow Basculin to get on the field.

[Other Options]
  • This thing's movepool seriously sucks
  • Mold Breaker
  • Taunt means that some Pokemon won't wall it as easily. However, stuff like Alomomola still walls it pretty hard.
  • Ice Beam to surprise Tangela and Dragons.
  • Crunch to hit Frillish in any way whatsoever.
  • Final Gambit
  • Agility

[Checks and Counters]
  • Alomomola completely walls it and can just Toxic Stall it out.
  • Tangela also completely walls it and dispatches it with Giga Drain.
  • Leafeon's excellent physical defense allows it to take hits from Basculin as well, possibly setting up on it.
  • Although its uncommon, the listed set is completely walled by Frillish.
  • Serperior takes it on comfortably, outspeeding and OHKOing it with Giga Drain.
  • Dragon-types such as Shelgon or Fraxure can use it as set-up fodder, especially considering their resistance to Water.
  • Seismitoad and Jynx can be 2HKOed and OHKOed, respectively, by the appropriate move, but their immunity to Water means that they force Choice-locked Basculin off the field oftentimes.
  • Many Pokemon can revenge kill it, such as Choice Scarf Rotom-S, Electabuzz, and more, but note that Aqua Jet can do a surprising amount of damage to frailer revenge killers.

Crunch > Double-Edge. It can still do a decent chunk to SpDef Seismitoad, and you at least need SOMETHING that can even touch Frillish, despite how rare it is. Also, between Water/Dark/Fighting coverage, you still achieve perfect neutral coverage, so I definitely think you should use Crunch as the main slash and either put Double-Edge as a second slash or in AC.

Also, I think you should emphasize more in the Overview on how Basculin is pretty much a niche Pokémon, since Adaptability is the only reason to use it. If you're not focusing on that specific trait, you should probably be using something else.

Solid analysis otherwise though :)

Crunch > Double-Edge. It can still do a decent chunk to SpDef Seismitoad, and you at least need SOMETHING that can even touch Frillish, despite how rare it is. Also, between Water/Dark/Fighting coverage, you still achieve perfect neutral coverage, so I definitely think you should use Crunch as the main slash and either put Double-Edge as a second slash or in AC.
Normally, I would agree with you because I hate getting walled, but...

| 169 | Frillish | 0.45935% | 559 | 0.346% | 452 | 0.343% |

That's extremely rare. Like, almost non-factor rare. I would much rather have the chance to destroy Seismitoad than hit Frillish at all because...

| 27 | Seismitoad | 6.30659% | 8867 | 5.483% | 7847 | 5.952% |

In addition, according to the 1850 stats, Frillish is even rarer and Seismitoad is even more common. Also, Seismitoad is nearly an S-Rank threat, getting more common each month, and Frillish is getting rarer. In addition, other than Frillish and Shedinja, it gets perfect neutral coverage iirc.

I will emphasize the niche part a bit more though

If you aren't using Adaptability, Basculin isn't really worth using over, say, Floatzel.

idk Mold Breaker can be pretty cool to get the OHKO on Golem and sturdy leads. Not better than Adaptibility but it isn't bad at all.

Make sure your Overview follows the listed standards! No fluff or useless information

[qc]1/3[/qc]

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Add Toxic to Additional Comments as a move that can be used to surprise Alomomola, Tangela, or Frillish switch ins and cripple them. Mention how adding Toxic forces you to sacrifice either Double-Edge or Superpower.

[qc]2/3[/qc]

I implemented the above checks and also added Mold Breaker to OO in addition to that (implied but not explicitly stated)

I will get this written soon.

This is written.

I know I posted in the reservations forum, but there are so many analyses going on atm that I felt this bump was needed.

FireMage

Disgraced
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think that Return should still be slashed with Double Edge, If you're not running reckless and unless it misses out on important KOs on key 'mons - it should be worty of at least a slash.

I also Think that an OO mention of Expert Belt with Crunch should be appointed. I've used it myself and it works quite well alongside adaptability which also thengives you the freedom to change moves (Allowing you to easily KO unsuspecting Custap+Sturdy Mons) It's an option you might want to consider.

I think that Return should still be slashed with Double Edge, If you're not running reckless and unless it misses out on important KOs on key 'mons - it should be worty of at least a slash.
In my experience, Basculin does not last very long anyway so the recoil damage from Double-Edge isn't as big of a deal, especially considering the move should be used to get Water-resists out of the way as quickly as possible. Also, Seismitoad and one or two other important Pokemon that I don't remember are only 2HKOed by Double-Edge, but you honestly just want to hit everything that resists Water as hard as you possibly can so then you can finish them off with something else easier.

I did add it to AC though.

I also Think that an OO mention of Expert Belt with Crunch should be appointed. I've used it myself and it works quite well alongside adaptability which also thengives you the freedom to change moves (Allowing you to easily KO unsuspecting Custap+Sturdy Mons) It's an option you might want to consider.
Done.

"Return can be used over Double-Edge if you dislike the recoil damage and do not mind the power drop, but missing out on certain 2HKOs, such as one on Seismitoad."

I know this is more GP but it bothered me. "it misses out" or tacked onto the end "can be game-changing" or something along those lines.

Under OO you mention Final Gambit. Throw in a little mention that Basculin has the potential to clean up late-game with the set listed, and using Final Gambit completely ignores that, wasting Basculin's overall potential.

Otherwise, looks good. Pass it on to GP, my man.

[qc]3/3[/qc]

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hihi, amcheck.

This is a well-written analysis; very few mistakes. The only thing is that Pokemon isn't spelt with an è in these analysis.

-Sort of a subjective sort of thing as well, but when you mention that certain Pokemon (Jynx and Seismitoad) are immune to Water-type attacks, that sort of threw me off for two reasons: They itself aren't immune to Water-type attacks, but rather, that certain ability does, as not all Seismitoad will run Water Absorb, so you may need to emphasis that. Also, from my subjective judgement (may or may not be wrong), they aren't actually immune to it, they absorb the Water-type attacks. If a GP corrects me otherwise, then you can ignore those specific changes, but that's my logic on it.

Other than that, great job! =)
EDIT: sirndpt stamped my check, so make sure to add all my changes, as well as the additional ones they added in. Thanks!

Additions
Removes
Comments

Swamp-Rocket said:
[Overview]

<p>Basculin's primary advantage over other Water-types in the tier comes from its useful ability, Adaptability. Due to thisBecause of its ability, Basculin's Waterfall and Aqua Jet-type moves are noticeably stronger than other physically attacking Water-types in the tier, (AC) such as Samurott, Carracosta, and Floatzel. In addition to this, Basculin also is fairly fast, and with Jynx now beingin the NU tier, the ability to outspeed it, as well as many other dangerous offensive Pokemon such as Sawk, is a valuable asset. Despite this offensive advantage, Basculin can be relatively easy to wall with the correct Pokemon due to its heavy dependency on its STAB moves. The aforementioned Water-types also have wider movepools than Basculin, giving them ian advantage in coverage, and a few also have set-up options. Overall, if you need a physically attacking Water-type, consider Basculin, and be sure to utilize its niche well.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The best way to use Basculin is by using a simple Choice Band set. PHovever, prediction is necessary to make this set work however – there are many Pokemon that can absorb Water immune Pokemon-type moves in NU, including Jynx and Seismitoad, and allowing them to freely switch in could result in them using the opportunity to set up. (I'm assuming you meant — (&mdash;) instead od -, but ignore it if I'm wrong; wasn't sure about it.) As a result, Pokemon such as these must be dealt with via coverage moves or with other Pokemon before Basculin can freely use its STAB moves. Waterfall is theits main STAB option, and; since its powered up by Adaptability, it hits fairly hard. Basculin's Aqua Jet is the strongest one in the tier, also thanks to Adaptability, and due to this, it is powerful enough to 2HKO frailer foes, (AC) such as Primeape and even Scolipede, which discourages them from switching in to revenge kill it. Double-Edge allows Basculin to get Water/Normalnearly perfect coverage, which hits every Pokemon in NU bar Cradily, Shedinja, and NFEs for at least neutral damage or better. Furthermore, it is powerful enough to 2HKO Pokemon that absorbs Water immun-type Pokémonves, (AC) such as non-physically defensive Seismitoad and Mantine, while easily OHKOing Jynx. Superpower is mostly filler, but its high bBase pPower allows it to doinflict massive damage to certain foes weak to the move, including Miltank, Lickilicky, Carracosta, and Cradily.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Despite the prediction that this set required with the givenneeds to be successful, a Choice Band is the preferred item for a few reasons. Basculin, especially late-game, rarely finds itself switching moves, meaning being locked into the move isn't as big of a deal. In addition, the extra power is needed for Basculin to have a chance at 2HKOing foes such as Scolipede and Seismitoad with Aqua Jet and Double-Edge, respectively, making a Life Orb slightly underwhelming. Jolly is the preferred nature for Basculin, as despite the priority move, outspeeding Timid Jynx is one of Basculin's best traits in NU. Adaptability is heavily suggested for Basculin in order to give it the power it needs to use it overrival its competition. In regards to moveslots, Toxic is a usable alternative to surprise Pokéemon that wall it, such as Alomomola and Tangela, but having this move sacrifices coverage and being locked into a non-damaging move can be taken advantage of. Return can be used over Double-Edge if you dislike the recoil damage and do not mind the power drop, but missing out on certain 2HKOs, such as one on Seismitoad, could be something that could be's potentially game-changing.</p>

<p>As previously mentioned, Basculin struggles against Alomomola and Tangela, as both have a very high physical dDefense stat and resist Water. Due to this, Electabuzz is a great partner, as it has Vital Spirit to take a Sleep Powder from Tangela, and it has an Electric-type STAB in order to makhandle Alomomola feel the pain. Grass-types that aren't Tangela can also prove to be annoying, as they resist Water. Due to this, Flying-types, (AC) such as Braviary and Swellow, (AC) can be good partners, easily OHKOing most Grass-types. Although Basculin can hit most of them hard, Pokemon that absorb Water immun-type Pokémonves, including Seismitoad and Jynx, along with Ludicolo can easily switch into Basculin's STAB. To ease prediction, Electabuzz can help once again because it outspeeds them all and hits most of them hard backin return. Eelektross also makes a good partner as well, hitting all of them hard with the appropriate move. Eelektross also provides a slow U-turn or Volt Switch to allow Basculin to get on the field safely.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Basculin's rather pitiful movepool leaves it with few other options. Basculin has Mold Breaker, which can be useful because it can outspeed and OHKO most Stealth Rock leads, (AC) such as Golem with its STABs, but it is otherwise inferior to Adaptability. Ice Beam can be used to surprise Tangela and Dragon-types, but its usage stops there. Taunt can be used to nearly shut down Alomomola almost completely, but this turns into a stalemate without Toxic, as Basculin has no prayer of actually defeating Alomomola directly. Crunch is Basculin's only way to hit Frillish, but it is rare enough to practically ignore. Basculin has access to Agility, but Floatzel's access to Swift Swim makes it a better Pokemon at boosting its sSpeed. An Expert Belt can be used to bluff a Choice set to surprise Pokemon, (AC) such aspecifically Frillish with Crunch, (AC) when they expect a free switch, but neutral targets are hit for relatively little damage in this case. Expert Belt also has the advantage of being able to surprise most Stealth Rock leads with a combination of Waterfall and Aqua Jet so th, (AC) preventing they can'tm from activateing their Cutsap Berries, which is important if you don't want to use Mold Breaker. Finally, Final Gambit is an interesting option to take down just about anything, but it is extremely risky asince Basculin will faint afterwards, and its HP isn't very high without investment. It also wastes Basculin's potential to clean up late -game.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Frillish is the definition of a counter for the Choice Band set, as it is literally immune to everything listed on the set, only fearing the rare Crunch. Aside from that, Alomomola does extremely well against Basculin, taking next-to-nothinglittle damage from all of its moves, and Alomomola can then stall out Basculin. Tangela also takes little damage from Basculin's moves, (RC) and can easily dispatch it with a Giga Drain. Other Grass-types can also switch into Basculin's STAB moves easily, including Leafeon, (AC) thanks to its massive physical dDefense stat, (AC) and Serperior, which can set up on it. Dragon-types, (AC) such as Fraxure and Shelgon, (AC) also resist Water, and their bulk can be further augmented by an Eviolite, and can proceedllowing them to set up Dragon Dance in Basculin's face. Although Seismitoad, Ludciolo, and Jynx risk getting 2HKOed (or in Jynx's case, OHKOed) by a coverage move, their immunability to absorb to Water-type attacks allows them to switch into Basculin's STAB move, forcing out any Choice locked Basculinit to switch out. (I don't think Ludicolo is immune to Water-type attacks; none of its abilities permit it, so maybe re-word that?) Finally, many Pokéemon can revenge kill it, including Electabuzz and Choice Scarf Rotom-S, but note that many revenge killers take a surprising amount of damage from Aqua Jet and can't switch into a Waterfall.</p>

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Original
Due to this, Basculin's Waterfall and Aqua Jet are noticeably stronger than other physically attacking Water-types in the tier such as Samurott, Carracosta, and Floatzel.
Amcheck
Because of its ability, Basculin's Water-type moves are noticeably stronger than other physically attacking Water-types in the tier, (AC) such as Samurott, Carracosta, and Floatzel.
It's not too important, but make sure that for comparisons, you remain consistent in what you're comparing. In the above sections, Basculin's attacks are compared to Water-type Pokemon, which is strange ("moves... stronger than Water-types..."). Therefore, I think you should consider adding "those of" in between "than" and "other".

Possible change
Because of its ability, Basculin's Water-type moves are noticeably stronger than those of other physically attacking Water-types in the tier, (AC) such as Samurott, Carracosta, and Floatzel.
I'm really sorry if this isn't the right time, or if this seems too nitpicky. Please forgive me! I'll try and amcheck this too when I have time.

[Overview]

<p>Basculin's primary advantage over other Water-types in the tier comes from its useful ability, Adaptability. Because of its ability, Basculin's Water-type moves are noticeably stronger than those of other physically attacking Water-types in the tier, such as Samurott, Carracosta, and Floatzel. In addition to this, Basculin is fairly fast, and with Jynx in the NU tier, the ability to outspeed it, as well as many other dangerous offensive Pokemon such as Sawk, is a valuable asset. Despite this offensive advantage, Basculin can be relatively easy to wall with the correct Pokemon due to its heavy dependency on its STAB moves. The aforementioned Water-types also have wider movepools than Basculin, giving them an advantage in coverage, and a few also have setup options. Overall, if you need a physically attacking Water-type, consider Basculin, and be sure to utilize its niche well.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The best way to use Basculin is by using a simple Choice Band set. However, prediction is necessary to make this set work&mdash;there are many Pokemon that can absorb Water-type moves in NU, including Jynx and Seismitoad, and allowing them to freely switch in could result in them using the opportunity to set up. As a result, Pokemon such as these must be dealt with via coverage moves or with other Pokemon before Basculin can freely use its STAB moves. Waterfall is its main STAB option; because it's powered up by Adaptability, it hits fairly hard. Basculin's Aqua Jet is the strongest one in the tier thanks to Adaptability, and due to this, it is powerful enough to 2HKO frailer foes, such as Primeape and even Scolipede, which discourages them from switching in to revenge kill it. Double-Edge allows Basculin to get nearly perfect coverage, which hits hitting every Pokemon in NU bar Cradily, Shedinja, and NFEs for at least neutral damage. Furthermore, it is powerful enough to 2HKO Pokemon that absorb Water-type moves, such as non-physically defensive Seismitoad and Mantine, while easily OHKOing Jynx. Superpower is mostly filler, but its high Base Power allows it to inflict massive damage to certain foes weak to the move, including Miltank, Lickilicky, Carracosta, and Cradily.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Despite the prediction that this set needs to be successful, a Choice Band is the preferred item for a few reasons. Basculin, especially late-game, rarely finds itself switching moves, meaning being locked into the move isn't as big of a deal. In addition, the extra power is needed for Basculin to have a chance at 2HKOing foes such as Scolipede and Seismitoad with Aqua Jet and Double-Edge, respectively, making a Life Orb slightly underwhelming. Jolly is the preferred nature for Basculin, as despite the priority move its access to priority, outspeeding Timid Jynx is one of Basculin's best traits in NU. Adaptability is heavily suggested for Basculin in order to give it the power it needs to rival its competition. In regards to moveslots, Toxic is a usable alternative to surprise Pokemon that wall it, such as Alomomola and Tangela, but having this move sacrifices coverage and being locked into a non-damaging move can be taken advantage of. Return can be used over Double-Edge if you dislike the recoil damage and do not mind the power drop, but missing out on certain 2HKOs, such as one on Seismitoad, could be something that's potentially prove game-changing.</p>

<p>As previously mentioned, Basculin struggles against Alomomola and Tangela, as both have a very high Defense stat and resist Water. Due to this, Electabuzz is a great partner, as it has Vital Spirit to take a Sleep Powder from Tangela, and it has an Electric-type STAB in order to handle Alomomola. Grass-types that aren't Tangela can also prove to be annoying, as they resist Water. Due to this, Flying-types, such as Braviary and Swellow, can be good partners, easily OHKOing most Grass-types. Although Basculin can hit most of them hard, Pokemon that absorb Water-type moves, including Seismitoad and Jynx, along with Ludicolo,(comma) can easily switch into Basculin's STAB. To ease prediction, Electabuzz can help once again because it outspeeds them all and hits most of them hard in return. Eelektross also makes a good partner as well, hitting all of them hard with the appropriate move. Eelektross also provides a slow U-turn or Volt Switch to allow Basculin to get on the field safely.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Basculin's rather pitiful movepool leaves it with few other options. Basculin has Mold Breaker, which can be useful because it can outspeed and OHKO most Stealth Rock leads, such as Golem with its STABs, but it is otherwise inferior to Adaptability. Ice Beam can be used to surprise Tangela and Dragon-types, but its usage stops there. Taunt can be used to nearly shut down Alomomola, but this turns into a stalemate without Toxic, as Basculin has no prayer of actually defeating Alomomola directly. Crunch is Basculin's only way to hit Frillish, but it is rare enough to practically ignore. Basculin has access to Agility, but Floatzel's access to Swift Swim makes it a better Pokemon at boosting its Speed. An Expert Belt can be used to bluff a Choice set to surprise Pokemon, notably Frillish with Crunch, when they expect a free switch, but neutral targets are hit for relatively little damage in this case. Expert Belt also has the advantage of being able to surprise most Stealth Rock leads with a combination of Waterfall and Aqua Jet, preventing them from activating their Custap Berries, which is important if you don't want to use Mold Breaker. Finally, Final Gambit is an interesting option to take down just about anything, but it is extremely risky since Basculin will faint afterwards, and its HP isn't very high without investment. It also wastes Basculin's potential to clean up late-game.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Frillish is the definition of a counter for the Choice Band set, as it is literally immune to everything listed on the set, only fearing the rare Crunch. Aside from that, Alomomola does extremely well against Basculin, taking little damage from all of its moves, and Alomomola can then stall out Basculin. Tangela also takes little damage from Basculin's moves and can easily dispatch it with a Giga Drain. Other Grass-types can also switch into Basculin's STAB moves easily; including specific examples are Leafeon, thanks to its massive Defense stat, and Serperior, which can set up on it. Dragon-types, such as Fraxure and Shelgon, also resist Water, and their bulk can be further augmented by an Eviolite, allowing them to set up Dragon Dance in Basculin's face. Although Seismitoad, Ludicolo, and Jynx risk getting 2HKOed (or in Jynx's case, OHKOed) by a coverage move, their ability to absorb to Water-type attacks (or in Ludicolo's case, its 4x resistance) allow them to switch into Basculin's STAB move, forcing it to switch out. Finally, many Pokemon can revenge kill it, including Electabuzz and Choice Scarf Rotom-S, but note that many revenge killers take a surprising amount of damage from Aqua Jet and can't switch into a Waterfall.</p>
[gp]1/2[/gp]

amcheck LET'S GO

add
remove
comments

[Overview]

<p>Basculin's primary advantage over other Water-types in the tier comes from its useful ability, Adaptability. Because of its ability, Basculin's Water-type moves are noticeably stronger than those of other physically attacking Water-types in the tier, such as Samurott, Carracosta, and Floatzel. In addition to this, Basculin is fairly fast, and with Jynx in the NU tier, the ability to outspeed itJynx, as well as many other dangerous offensive Pokemon such as Sawk, is a valuable asset. Despite this offensive advantage, Basculin can be relatively easy to wall with the correct Pokemon due to its heavy dependency on its STAB moves. The aforementioned Water-types also have wider movepools than Basculin, giving them an advantage in coverage, and a few also have setup options. Overall, if you need a physically attacking Water-type, consider Basculin, andbut be sure to utilize its niche well.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The best way to use Basculin is by using a simple Choice Band set. However, prediction is necessary to make this set work&mdash;there are many Pokemon that can absorb Water-type moves in NU, including Jynx and Seismitoad, and allowing them to freely switch in could result in them using the opportunity to set up. As a result, Pokemon such as these must be dealt with via coverage moves or with other Pokemon before Basculin can freely use its STAB moves. Waterfall is its main STAB option; because it's powered up by Adaptability, it hits fairly hard. Basculin's Aqua Jet is the strongest one in the tier thanks to Adaptability, and dubecause tof this, it is powerful enough to 2HKO frailer foes, such as Primeape and even Scolipede, which discourages them from switching in to revenge kill it. Double-Edge allows Basculin to get nearly perfect coverage, hitting every Pokemon in NU bar Cradily, Shedinja, and NFEs for at least neutral damage. Furthermore, it is powerful enough to 2HKO Pokemon that absorb Water-type moves, such as non-physically defensive Seismitoad and Mantine, while easily OHKOing Jynx. Superpower is mostly filler, but its high Base Power allows it to inflict massive damage to certain foes weak to the move, including Miltank, Lickilicky, Carracosta, and Cradily.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Despite the prediction that this set needs to be successful, a Choice Band is the preferred item for a few reasons. Basculin, especially late-game, rarely finds itself switching moves, meaning being locked into the move isn't as big of a deal. In addition, the extra power is needed for Basculin to have a chance at 2HKOing foes such as Scolipede and Seismitoad with Aqua Jet and Double-Edge, respectively, making a Life Orb slightly underwhelming. Jolly is the preferred nature for Basculin, as despite its access to priority, outspeeding Timid Jynx is one of Basculin's best traits in NU. Adaptability is heavily suggested for Basculin in order to give it the power it needs to rival its competition. In regards to moveslots, Toxic is a usable alternative to surprise Pokemon that wall it, such as Alomomola and Tangela, but having this move sacrifices coverage and being locked into a non-damaging move can be taken advantage of. Return can be used over Double-Edge if you dislike the recoil damage and do not mind the power drop, but missing out on certain 2HKOs, such as on Seismitoad, could potentially prove game-changing.</p>

<p>As previously mentioned, Basculin struggles against Alomomola and Tangela, as both have a very high Defense stat and resist Water. Due toFor this reason, Electabuzz is a great partner, as it has Vital Spirit to take a Sleep Powder from Tangela, and it has an Electric-type STAB in order to handle Alomomola. Grass-types that aren't Tangela can also prove to be annoying, as they resist Water. Due to this, Flying-types, such as Braviary and Swellow, can be good partners, easily OHKOing most Grass-types. Although Basculin can hit most of them hard, Pokemon that absorb Water-type moves, including Seismitoad and Jynx, along with Ludicolo, can easily switch into Basculin's STAB. To ease prediction, Electabuzz can help once again because it outspeeds them all and hits most of them hard in return. Eelektross also(this is redundant with ''as well'') makes a good partner as well, hitting all of them hard with the appropriate move. Eelektross also provides a slow U-turn or Volt Switch to allow Basculin to get on the field safely.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Basculin's rather pitiful movepool leaves it with few other options. Basculin has Mold Breaker, which can be useful because it can outspeed and OHKO most Stealth Rock leads, such as Golem,(AC) with its STABs, but it is otherwise inferior to Adaptability. Ice Beam can be used to surprise Tangela and Dragon-types, but its usage stops there. Taunt can be used to nearly shut down Alomomola, but this turns into a stalemate without Toxic, as Basculin has no prayer of actually defeating Alomomola directly. Crunch is Basculin's only way to hit Frillish, but it is rare enough to practically ignore. Basculin has access to Agility, but Floatzel's access to Swift Swim makes it a better Pokemon at boosting its Speed. An Expert Belt can be used to bluff a Choice set to surprise Pokemon, notably Frillish with Crunch, when they expect a free switch, but neutral targets are hit for relatively little damage in this case. Expert Belt also has the advantage of being able to surprise most Stealth Rock leads with a combination of Waterfall and Aqua Jet, preventing them from activating their Custap Berries, which is important if you don't want to use Mold Breaker. Finally, Final Gambit is an interesting option to take down just about anything, but it is extremely risky since Basculin will faint afterwards, and its HP isn't very high without investment. It also wastes Basculin's potential to clean up late-game.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Frillish is the definition of a counter for the Choice Band set, as it is literally immune to everything listed on the set, only fearing the rare Crunch. Aside from that, Alomomola does extremely well against Basculin, taking little damage from all of its moves, and Alomomola can thenallowing it to stall out Basculin. Tangela also takes little damage from Basculin's moves and can easily dispatch it with a Giga Drain. Other Grass-types can also switch into Basculin's STAB moves easily; specific examples are Leafeon, thanks to its massive Defense stat, and Serperior, which can set up on it. Dragon-types, such as Fraxure and Shelgon, also resist Water, and their bulk can be further augmented by an Eviolite, allowing them to set up Dragon Dance against Basculin's face. Although Seismitoad, Ludicolo, and Jynx risk getting 2HKOed (or in Jynx's case, OHKOed) by a coverage move, their ability to absorb to Water-type attacks (or in Ludicolo's case, its 4x resistance) allow them to switch into Basculin's STAB move, forcing it to switch out. Finally, many Pokemon can revenge kill it, including Electabuzz and Choice Scarf Rotom-S, but note that many revenge killers take a surprising amount of damage from Aqua Jet and can't switch into a Waterfall.</p>

grammatically, most everything was sound. just suggested some changes to help make the analysis flow a little better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)