SV OU Basic BO Team

:sv/breloom: :sv/tinkaton: :sv/chi-yu: :sv/garganacl: :sv/dondozo: :sv/great tusk:

Breloom
:sv/breloom:
New Pokemon (Breloom) (F) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Seed Bomb
- Facade
- Swords Dance

Breloom can function as a decent lead or a safe switch after something dies. Toxic Orb obviously has good synergy with Poison Heal, and with Tera Normal Facade, Breloom here can be quite the offensive threat against everything that isn't ghost type. (So, basically everything in the meta game that isn't Gholdengo). Furthermore, against most things it can get Spore off as long as it can survive a hit, which will always give it at least one free turn to Swords Dance and heal a bit from whatever hit it took. Seed Bomb is mostly here as coverage move for taking out bulky water types and being able to hit Gholdengo at all.

Breloom's biggest weaknesses, at least that I've identified, are as follows (In no particular order):
Gholdengo
Chi-Yu
Gargancle
Dragonite
Quaquaval with Brave Bird/Ice Punch
Meowscarada with Play Rough

It can win most of these match-ups if it predicts a switch in and spores them (Except for Gholdengo and Gargancle), but it isn't something to be relied upon.

Tinkaton
:sv/tinkaton:
The Justice System (Tinkaton) (F) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Mold Breaker
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gigaton Hammer
- Play Rough
- Protect

Tinkaton is the most rigid Pokemon on this team, being able to do exactly one thing but doing it damn well. It switches in, Swords Dances, then alternates between Gigaton Hammer and Play Rough/Protect. Air Balloon allows it to safely switch in against Great Tusk, as Tusk's other STAB is only neutral damage. Since Great Tusk is very common, being able to switch in a set-up sweeper against them is important, but Tinkaton can switch into a good variety of situations and be safe.

Tinkaton's main weakness is fast fire types. The main ones that I've identified are as follows:
Iron Moth
Volcarona
Chi-Yu
Cinderace

Tinkaton lacks counterplay outside of out-damaging them.

Chi-Yu
:sv/chi-yu:
Harmless Goldfish (Chi-Yu) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beads of Ruin
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse
- Psychic
- Overheat

Just a stock Scarfed Chi-Yu. I tried doing something different, but it didn't work out, so I just went with the exact same basic set. Flamethrower, Dark Pulse, and Psychic are all good 100% Psychic moves and Tera Fire Overheat can take out anything that's giving me serious trouble.

Weaknesses:
Other Chi-Yu's, which it's also equally good at taking out.
Dondozo
Toxapex

Garganacl
:sv/garganacl:
Donkey Kong (Garganacl) @ Leftovers
Ability: Purifying Salt
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpD
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Body Press
- Salt Cure
- Iron Defense

My other "stock" Pokemon. Didn't really go for anything new and exciting here. Body Press does well with Iron Defense, and it's safe to Iron Defense because of Body Press. Water is a good defensive type and can help against pesky water types who are super effective against Garganacl. Tera Water is a good defensive type, and also resists other water types, making it a good pick for a defensive Pokemon weak to water. Salt Cure also works well against Gholdengo, who is immune to the other attack Garganacl has.

Weaknesses:
Pretty much every water type if Tera was used on another Pokemon.
Gholdengo, Salt Cure helps but is not a fast enough solution.
Breloom

Dondozo
:sv/dondozo:
Thoust Mother (Dondozo) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Liquidation
- Avalanche
- Rest

A slightly modified Curse Dondozo set. A good physical wall and attacker already, Avalanche gives extra coverage for flying, dragon, and ice types who resist its STAB. Furthermore, curse pretty much guarantees that Dondozo will move after its attacker, giving a free boost to Avalanche's damage. The one downside of this set is the loss of Sleep Talk, but after a Curse or two Dondozo should survive on decent health despite lost turns. Despite Chi-Yu being a physical attacker, Dondozo's health and water typing can still wall it, and it absolutely walls Chien-Pao.

Weaknesses:
Meowscarada Flower Trick
Special Rotom
Kilowattrel

Great Tusk
:sv/great tusk:
Normal Donphan (Great Tusk) @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Headlong Rush
- Knock Off
- Close Combat

A powerful physical attacker and the perfect counter to hazard setting teams. Rapid Spin gets rid of hazards, while Headlong Rush hits Gholdengo and Knock Off hits Air Balloon Gholdengo. Close Combat is just a good STAB move. Great Tusk can also take out Garganacles before they set up with both of their STABs being super effective. Something I don't see enough people doing with Great Tusk is if they switch into something that has low health, finish it off with a Rapid Spin whether or not there are hazards, as it's fast enough that the speed boost lets you outspeed anything but the very fastest Pokemon like Dragapult and Scarfed Chi-Yu. It's also good at taking out Scarfed Chi-Yu or Nasty Plot Chi-Yu that hasn't set up yet, although a Nasty Plot Chi-Yu that has set up or a Specs Chi-Yu can kill it with Overheat.

Weaknesses:
Some Chi-Yu
Quaquaval
Dondozo

Finally, even if you don't want to go to the effort of rating my team, please point out any weaknesses I have yet to identify! Knowing I have some serious weaknesses can be extremely valuable for how I play and change my team as time goes forward!

First off, I would look into using the below set for Breloom. Mach punch helps do serious damage to speedy mons while bullet seed will do more damage than seed bomb. With that said, you'll need technician to take advantage of these moves; and loaded dice will let you hit bullet seed for a minimum of 4 hits which is a big help against most if not all walls.

Breloom @ Loaded Dice
Ability: Technician
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed

Next, if you REALLY want to keep tinkaton then I can't help you there. But I suggest swapping it out for something else due to all the cons you mentioned and all the common checks that it does have. Speaking of checks, another thing you forgot to mention is that tinkaton doesn't have a good way around solid walls in OU, namely defensive garganacl, dondozo, pex, and others. Sad to say but I assume it'll be at the bottom of UU for the duration of its days. If you want a fast physical attacker, check out Dragonite (my suggestion), dragapult, or scarfed scizor. Scizor gives a priority steel-type move that is going to be doing roughly the same as hammer. You could use Chien-Pao but then you run the risk of being overtaken by a breloom or fast physical type. Maybe ape? I digress.

Lastly, try out protect on your garganacl instead of iron defense. You'll thank me later.

Good start. Solid team. Now get those dubs.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey!!!

That is a fun Breloom set, I will admit. It is not exactly optimal to any degree, but it certainly is fun! Are those 88 speed EVs there for any reason in particular? No speed investment still lets you outspeed standard Azumarill, who usually only runs 140 Speed EVs, standard Kingambit, who usually only runs 144 Speed EVs and standard Banded Scizor, who usually only runs 20. 88 Speed EVs doesn't cover you nearly enough to deal with SD Scizor, who usually runs Adamant 252 speed.

Obviously you know best why the 88 speed EVs are there and what they are used for, though I will admit it is not immediately obvious to me, and I just figured I'd bring that up.

I would consider swapping Spore with either Bulldoze or Close Combat. I know losing Spore sounds sacrilegious, but Breloom reaaaallllyy could use the extra coverage. Sometimes the *threat* of Spore is good enough, and players will probably switch out to their Spore check when Breloom comes in anyway. Said Spore check will probably be Gholdengo, who can not really be touched by this current set anyway. Bulldoze gives it a way to hit Gholdengo once its balloon is popped, and hits other Steel or Rock types that you might face as well.

First off, I would look into using the below set for Breloom. Mach punch helps do serious damage to speedy mons while bullet seed will do more damage than seed bomb. With that said, you'll need technician to take advantage of these moves; and loaded dice will let you hit bullet seed for a minimum of 4 hits which is a big help against most if not all walls.

Breloom @ Loaded Dice
Naive Nature
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed

Next, if you REALLY want to keep tinkaton then I can't help you there. But I suggest swapping it out for something else due to all the cons you mentioned and all the common checks that it does have. Speaking of checks, another thing you forgot to mention is that tinkaton doesn't have a good way around solid walls in OU, namely defensive garganacl, dondozo, pex, and others. Sad to say but I assume it'll be at the bottom of UU for the duration of its days. If you want a fast physical attacker, check out Dragonite (my suggestion), dragapult, or scarfed scizor. Scizor gives a priority steel-type move that is going to be doing roughly the same as hammer. You could use Chien-Pao but then you run the risk of being overtaken by a breloom or fast physical type. Maybe ape? I digress.

Lastly, try out protect on your garganacl instead of iron defense. You'll thank me later.

Thank you for the advice! I am testing it out currently on a copy of the team, but it's different enough that it will take some time before I get back to you on how helpful it ends up being. So far, it seems to be working pretty good, but I must say I'm not particularly excited to switch Brelooms sets. I understand the strengths of this one though, so if it drastically outperforms mine then I will switch it.

Hey!!!

That is a fun Breloom set, I will admit. It is not exactly optimal to any degree, but it certainly is fun! Are those 88 speed EVs there for any reason in particular? No speed investment still lets you outspeed standard Azumarill, who usually only runs 140 Speed EVs, standard Kingambit, who usually only runs 144 Speed EVs and standard Banded Scizor, who usually only runs 20. 88 Speed EVs doesn't cover you nearly enough to deal with SD Scizor, who usually runs Adamant 252 speed.

Obviously you know best why the 88 speed EVs are there and what they are used for, though I will admit it is not immediately obvious to me, and I just figured I'd bring that up.

I would consider swapping Spore with either Bulldoze or Close Combat. I know losing Spore sounds sacrilegious, but Breloom reaaaallllyy could use the extra coverage. Sometimes the *threat* of Spore is good enough, and players will probably switch out to their Spore check when Breloom comes in anyway. Said Spore check will probably be Gholdengo, who can not really be touched by this current set anyway. Bulldoze gives it a way to hit Gholdengo once its balloon is popped, and hits other Steel or Rock types that you might face as well.
To be perfectly honest, I made this Breloom set around midnight and only made changes to it afterwards. I'm as clueless as you as to why there's any speed investment at all. I have gotten rid of it. Out of the two options for moves you presented, I chose Bulldoze for the ability to hit Gholdengo. Thank you!

Breloom @ Loaded Dice
Naive Nature
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed

Having played around with your suggestions, I have come to the following conclusions:
I prefer my Breloom set. The Technician set is good, but it lacks good healing and is expected. Many people switch to a fairy type like Iron Valiant to handle the Mach Punches, or a fire type like Torkoal to take each Bullet Seed with ease. Neither are prepared for Facade. The things that resist or are even immune to Facade are going to fall to Bulldoze. The main advantage is the element of surprise, but it's also a good Pokemon on its own.

I really really want Tinkaton to be viable, but having played with Dragonite, I agree that it's much less restrictive in what it can do and does it better. As much as it saddens me, thank you for opening my eyes.

Protect Garganacl does better in some scenarios, Iron Defense in other. Iron Defense is usually more than enough when combined with Recover, and the synergy with Body Press is more than enough to be a viable set IMO. That being said, Protect has saved my ass a couple times, with Salt Cure against a wounded Dondozo or things like that. I may switch between the two regularly depending on how I'm feeling.

Having played around with your suggestions, I have come to the following conclusions:
I prefer my Breloom set. The Technician set is good, but it lacks good healing and is expected. Many people switch to a fairy type like Iron Valiant to handle the Mach Punches, or a fire type like Torkoal to take each Bullet Seed with ease. Neither are prepared for Facade. The things that resist or are even immune to Facade are going to fall to Bulldoze. The main advantage is the element of surprise, but it's also a good Pokemon on its own.

I really really want Tinkaton to be viable, but having played with Dragonite, I agree that it's much less restrictive in what it can do and does it better. As much as it saddens me, thank you for opening my eyes.

Protect Garganacl does better in some scenarios, Iron Defense in other. Iron Defense is usually more than enough when combined with Recover, and the synergy with Body Press is more than enough to be a viable set IMO. That being said, Protect has saved my ass a couple times, with Salt Cure against a wounded Dondozo or things like that. I may switch between the two regularly depending on how I'm feeling.
If you want to be a real pain, you could always give this set a try. Not sure how it'll do since I just made it a couple of minutes ago but it feels like the vibe you're going for...

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Leech Seed/ Swords Dance
- Substitute/ Swords Dance
- Facade
- Drain Punch

You'll be SOL when it comes to facing Gholdingo, but that's why you have Tusk and Chi-Yu.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)