SM OU Baton pass is back: 4.0 (need help)

Hello everyone and welcome to my 3rd S/M RMT.

This time, we will be exploring pokebank OU, cause, yeah, not much point in playing prebank anymore.

Now, I know I said I wouldn't be posting any teams for a while, but I still play on Sundays and I built this team to have a little fun. I do not have any intentions of climbing high on the ladder, and I do not have the time to search for flaws, test the team and improve it, so I am in need of help.

Also, this time around, I decided I wanted to bring baton pass (arguably the most hated playstyle ever, even more than stall), using Z moves in a way I haven't seen much (all people use are damaging moves, specially lando-T double dance). So perhaps that little taste of creativity will allos people to not hate me for using BP.

No peak this time, so, to the team, shall we?

My inspiration was ofc dEnIsSsS' TROLL PASS (BATON PASS 3.0) team, the one he built after the BP ban clause that limited bp to 1 mon/team.
Now, I cannot use geomancy, but the team was a great start.

First mon, Ninetales provided screens (both at once, OMG), as well as utility in encore and disable (it would be perfect if Ninetales had anything granting it to grab momentum, but you take what you get).

What is a BP team without a baton passer, right? This time around, I decided to try Mew over Scolipede, passing defense boosts instead of speed.

Next, I brought my recipient: Xatu. Its access to me first (boosting speed), miracle eye and stored power, as well as reliable recovery and amazing ability, made I chose it over the standard Espeon.

OU has an Uber mon running free: MMetagross. Its 4x resistance to stored power (and everything else going for it) turned it into a huge threat. So Dugtrio as a trapper could be really useful, weakning it, as well as providing me SR and a very good move in Memento. Fits perfectly.

I had 2 slots, so, looking for inspiration, I brought Denis' Whimsicott and another recipient: Clefable (from the original baton pass 2.0).

Now, the team itself:

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 21 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Memento
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Reversal
Starting with this amazing set, 201 to better take Chansey down, Duggy can also trap annoying Ttar (common switch in to Ninetales) and even Heatran, get SR and either die or use Memento, which is the perfect scenario, granting mew a free set up (shout out to Sharpteeth).

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aurora Veil
- Encore
- Disable
- Moonblast
Next, the most obvious screen setter ever: Ninetales-A.
Though Hail isn't the best thing to have going on, it allows me to annoy rain teams.
The combination of Encore and Disable is pretty cool, though we cannot prevent rocks with it.
Moonblast hits Sableye, hits dark types in general and break sashes, not making it taunt fodder/bait. Aurora Veil goes without saying.
Max speed, max HP, nothing too fancy there.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Timid Nature
- Barrier
- Calm Mind
- Baton Pass
- Substitute/Taunt/Seismic Toss/Roost
Oh Mew, probably my favorite mon ever.
Like I said, I decided to boost defenses, so I chose Mew over Scolipede. Its good natural bulk and speed, paired with screens and memento support allow it to pass reliably. Barrier protects me on the physical, CM on the SpD side.
The last move is up to your choice: Subs is pretty safe, specially after a boost or 2, protecting from the risks of getting crit, taunt counters a lot of stuff ((p)hazers), seismic toss allows us to not be taunt bait and roost for longevity. Seismic toss is probably the worst option, pick any of the other 3, though, since Fini and Toxapex are common, your best choice is most likely Taunt.
Max speed, max HP, nothing too fancy there.
Since OU has 2 very good Hazers, taunt is the way to go.

Xatu @ Normalium Z
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stored Power
- Roost
- Me First
- Miracle Eye
So, Xatu, right? A worse Espeon. Not so much.
Thoush Espeon could be here and I might consider bringing it, Xatu has pretty much everything we need, with more reliable recovery, ground immunity, a better +2 speed boosting move (Espeon has trick, Xatu has me first) and a nice gimmick that made me chose Xatu in the first place, which Espeon lack: miracle eye.
For those of you who don't know, miracle eye allows psychic moves to hit dark types. So, unless the opponent has 2 dark types, I can miracle eye it and something will get hit by stored power. Pretty neat, a nice gimmick way to get rid of dark types. Though I have never used it, in theory, works great.

Clefable @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stored Power
- Snatch
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
Another recipient to improve my match up odds: Clef. 1st, there is the fact that Clef beats dark types. It can also use CM to boost its stats further. Calm Mind is there, in case my opponent forces me to baton pass to Clefable early game. Calm Mind also boosts considerably Stored Power destructive capability, in case it needs to kill something really sturdy such as Heatran or Chansey. It can also boost its speed, thanks to snatch. I run enough spe EVs to outspeed base 130 mons such as Tapu Koko, the rest is bulk.
I also have to mention Clef's great ability.

Whimsicott (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Encore
- Memento
- Tailwind
Whimsicott's access to amazing support moves and Prankster make it an awesome team supporter. Thanks to Memento + Tailwind, it would be of huge help against powerful attackers.
I like to lead with it more often than not cause Whimsicott is honestly a plus, it is not needed, but it is good to have.
Tailwind helps ninetales v. Metagross, as well as memento.

It is not hard to think of things that can stop TR. Haze is probably the most obvious, with 2 very common users in OU - Fini and Toxapex. Taunt is the way to go.

MGyarados can hit incredibly hard both Mew and Xatu, so Clef is the way to go (hopefully, with Memento support). It depends on the game, cause duggy at full health can beat MGyara.

MMetagross hits like a train, beats Ninetales with easy, doesnt get 1hko by Duggy's EQ, is 4x resistant to stored power and threat both Xatu and Clef. Ban this beast, please, cause it looks like the new Talonflame to BP teams.

Mimikyu with red card destroys this team. It is that simple.

Spdef Celesteela can be annoying, cause i beats Clef and one needs many boosts to take it down.

Team overview
There isn't much feedback I can give you, which is a shame, but, at least on paper, it seems pretty solid, incorporating BP elements from previous succesfull BP teams.
Please, help me improve it!

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 21 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Memento
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Reversal

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Encore
- Blizzard
- Moonblast

Espeon @ Psychium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def
Calm Nature
- Trick
- Stored Power
- Dazzling Gleam
- Morning Sun

Mew @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Barrier
- Calm Mind
- Baton Pass
- Taunt

Magearna @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 80 SpA / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Aura Sphere
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Shift Gear

Whimsicott (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Encore
- Memento
- Tailwind

Last edited:
Here's the issue with miracle eye: your opponent can just swap out before tanking the stored power. This allows a dark type to get in 4 or 5 hits prior to you actually being able to hit him. At some point, this will mean screens being off and possibly a crit, ending your sweep. If your opponent happens to have 2 dark type, he can swap between the two indefinitely. Frankly, I recommend picking between air slash and HP-fighting for your second move (air slash is prolly better because mega sable exists and BP has always had a field day vs stall). Also, espeon gets miracle eye too (not that it really matters). Espeon might be worth considering anyway just cuz with a few defensive boosts, it's probably "fast enough" without a speed boost to avoid the ludicrous hard hitters (hoopa-U and the like), giving you an extra move slot to play with.

Also, if you really don't like hail, try duel screens memento Latios. It takes longer, but guarantees a free swap to Mew. You can also try Eject Button to switch out faster (but then counter lead priority becomes an issue, so prolly bad idea).

Also not so sure about z-snatch (or really snatch in general). What exactly is cleffy going to do at +2 speed? It's still slow af. I would also consider running unaware just to troll setup sweepers that use mew as setup bait. Megazard X is also a pretty solid backup sweeper, as +2 defense is all it really needs for DD zardx to troll his would-be revenge killers. (it also functions on its own, big plus!)

All in all, I think this team has potential. Outside of the glaring flaw of miracle eye xatu, nothing here seems obviously wrong. Have fun trolling the ladder!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)