Battle Mechanics Research

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Has anyone tested Power Up Punch in conjunction with Mega Kanga?

It mentions on the website that it gains 2 attack boosts (One from Mum and one from baby). Does the first attack boost give baby Kanga +1 on its hit and then gain a second attack boost after (its own hit)? Or does it only apply the attack boost at the end of the turn?

Not sure if it was always this way, but apparently when using u-turn, u will still be hit by pursuit. I'm wondering if it is the same for volt-switch and parting shot?

I can confirm that Knock Off does not do more damage when the target is holding an item. I used Knock Off with my Farfetch'd against my Pyroar in an in-game Double Battle. When Pyroar held an item, it did 66 damage. When Pyroar didn't have an item, 67 damage. So the in-game description is wrong.

This is incorrect! I must have missed a crit or something. I can confirm Nexus's finding that Knock Off does 50% more damage against a target with an item.

Last edited:
Stance Change cannot be Skill Swapped. Idk about the other ability-neutering moves, though.
From my Aegislash in-game battling wild Durant, Stance Change cannot be Entrained either. It said that Entrained failed.

EDIT: Rather I should say that my Aegislash was not affected by Entrained, not saying that it cannot be Entrained. Don't know what happens if an Aegislash somehow used Entrainment, which is what my wording implied.

From my Aegislash in-game battling wild Durant, Stance Change cannot be Entrained either. It said that Entrained failed.

EDIT: Rather I should say that my Aegislash was not affected by Entrained, not saying that it cannot be Entrained. Don't know what happens if an Aegislash somehow used Entrainment, which is what my wording implied.
It cant be traced either. Mega-Alakazam was unable to do this to me during an online battle.

Thanks for the help, also wanted to ask if the Ghost-Type immunity to trapping extended to Aegislash/Doublade being immune to Magnet pull, anyone test that yet?

I asked this earlier in the thread, and I don't mean to be pushy about this, but has anybody figured out how 'powder' works exactly?

I don't know if anyone confirmed this or had any doubts about this, Sheer Force still cancels Life Orb recoil when using a boosted move.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Can somebody try to confirm/reject my assumption that having the No Guard ability drastically improves chances of secondary move effects happening against the No Guard pokemon?
I haven't used No Guard before this gen, but no wiki states anything like that about 5th gen behaviour.
Someone did, earlier - they mentioned that they had used Iron Head with their Doublade numerous times with little to no flinching happening even when they are faster (and I can also concur with this, having a similar experience). No Guard has never had that effect before, and given my experience with it I doubt that's been changed. If you're experiencing a phenomenal amount of hax with your No Guard poke, also remember to see if you have used it a lot in Pokemon Amie, since that might have an effect on this.
I don't know if anyone confirmed this or had any doubts about this, Sheer Force still cancels Life Orb recoil when using a boosted move.
Raseri and I confirmed that a while ago. We still have to test Eject Button though, if you are interested in testing that (I don't really want to go get the BP for it right now).
Does Boomburst bypass Substitute like Hyper Voice? Also, does Round and similar attacks(Echoed Voice?) also do this?
Yes, they all do. All sound-based moves (those blocked by Soundproof) bypass Substitute.

Raseri and I tested various effects of Protean, as suggested by BowserSama this morning on IRC.

- Using Sleep Talk with Protean results in the Pokemon's type being changed to the chosen move. It is not changed to Normal (the type of Sleep Talk), nor is it changed to Normal then to the chosen move.
- Using a Grass-type move to change to Grass-type gave the Pokemon immunity to spore and powder moves, as all Grass-types are. The same presumably goes for other types with status immunities - Steel's immunity to Poison, Electric's immunity to paralysis, etc.
- Unlike Stance Change, Protean will not change a Pokemon's type when it is asleep, regardless of the move chosen. It will also not change if the Pokemon hits itself in confusion. Things not tested: full paralysis, attraction - both presumably also perform the same, though it's worth testing.

Someone did, earlier - they mentioned that they had used Iron Head with their Doublade numerous times with little to no flinching happening even when they are faster (and I can also concur with this, having a similar experience). No Guard has never had that effect before, and given my experience with it I doubt that's been changed. If you're experiencing a phenomenal amount of hax with your No Guard poke, also remember to see if you have used it a lot in Pokemon Amie, since that might have an effect on this.
I meant hax from enemies against my no guard pokemon, not the other way around. My Duoblade got confused by every water pulse and confusion I can remember. Don't have anyone to test this with, or I wouldn't ask.

During my battle against Clemont today, I tried to use Sleep Powder on Magneton during Electric Terrain and got the message "Magneton surrounds itself with electric terrain" or something to that effect, and it did not fall asleep.

Someone should check if Electric Terrain blocks status in general or just powders.

During my battle against Clemont today, I tried to use Sleep Powder on Magneton during Electric Terrain and got the message "Magneton surrounds itself with electric terrain" or something to that effect, and it did not fall asleep.

Someone should check if Electric Terrain blocks status in general or just powders.
Grounded pokemon cannot be put to sleep during Electric Terrain

Does Topsy Turvy simply switch boosts, or apply a +X/-X effect such that the boost is switched? In other words, does it trigger Defiant and would a +1 attack Mon with Contrary get +3 (-2 attack -> +2 attack due to Contrary?)

When Gengar loses Levitate during Mega-Evolution and becomes grounded, does he absorb Toxic Spikes/gets damaged by Spikes/nerfed by Sticky Web on the same turn?

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I meant hax from enemies against my no guard pokemon, not the other way around. My Duoblade got confused by every water pulse and confusion I can remember. Don't have anyone to test this with, or I wouldn't ask.
You just got unlucky. My Doublade rarely flinched, got paralyzed/burned/confused/whatever with my runthrough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)