Battle Mechanics Research

The spread showing on MetalKid's IV Calculator (http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Calculators/IV.aspx) is 31/31/31/19 - 21/26/29 - 30 and with the combination 31/31/31/19(21)/26/30 you'd get Hidden Power Bug (using both the old Gen formula as well as the one in the OP).
Yeah I just noticed that on Serebii's too. Guess the one I used was crappy. Eh I'm not using SpAtk anyways so this is fine by me XD.

Which makes me think, if it is the same as before, what about Hidden Power Fairy?

EDIT: I rare candied Mewtwo to Lv100 and it's IVs are 31 / 31 / 31 / 21 / 26 / 30 which is Bug in the old gen format too.

Last edited:
I think somebody mentioned that 31 across the board is now Fairy but I've yet to see any proof on this.
31 across the board would be odd for all IVs. If you look up at my Skiddo I checked up a few posts it is also odd on all IVs but only had Dark. Also the 31 across the board is the same as the OPs table.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
WAIT WHERE DID YOU GET A NORMAL GEM? I haven't been able to find any elemental gems so I assumed they didn't exist in this game
I found a Normal Gem in the Durant caves south of Anistar city. As I recall, it was a hidden item that can be found with the Dowsing Machine, so unlike Gen V, I've found no service or wild mechanic that provides unlimited gems.

I looked at Mirror Coat's move info and it says that damage is doubled. Disregard my dumb.

Are Grass types immune to "Powder"?
I think this is likely but I haven't seen confirmation (Are there any grass types with access to fire moves other than Hiden Power?)
Grass types are immune to Powder. They don't need to be using a Fire attack. It just says outright "It doesn't affect X..."

Cherub Agent and I just tested Roar's effects with Wonder Skin (an Aerodactyl vs. a Venomoth), and after 15 Roars without missing, it looks like Roar and Whirlwind are no longer affected by Wonder Skin. Probably merits some more testing, but it seems to be the case.

Cherub Agent and I just tested Roar's effects with Wonder Skin (an Aerodactyl vs. a Venomoth), and after 15 Roars without missing, it looks like Roar and Whirlwind are no longer affected by Wonder Skin. Probably merits some more testing, but it seems to be the case.
They shouldn't be affected since Wonder Skin cut to 50% the chance of status moves with an accuracy check, and in X/Y Roar/Whirlwind have perfect accuracy

They shouldn't be affected since Wonder Skin cut to 50% the chance of status moves with an accuracy check, and in X/Y Roar/Whirlwind have perfect accuracy
Yeah, I'd heard that in BW, even moves with -- accuracy still could miss Wonder Skin mons, but I don't know the validity of that. Anyways, felt like testing it, and I can pretty firmly confirm it.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I just noticed that on Serebii's too. Guess the one I used was crappy. Eh I'm not using SpAtk anyways so this is fine by me XD.

Which makes me think, if it is the same as before, what about Hidden Power Fairy?

EDIT: I rare candied Mewtwo to Lv100 and it's IVs are 31 / 31 / 31 / 21 / 26 / 30 which is Bug in the old gen format too.
I am certain at this point Hidden Power Fairy just doesn't exist. Sorry for confusing people by leaving the speculative new table in the OP for so long. When I'm caught up on work today I'll update the OP with the rest of the thread's findings.

I haven't seen anything on this yet, So here goes. Can Mega Stones be removed (Knock Off/Fling) or transferred (Trick/Symbiosis) if the Pokemon they correspond to are not the ones holding it? For the sake of example, if in a double battle Specs Lucario has its Specs Knocked Off, would its Symbiosis Florges partner holding Lacrionite then be able transfer it to Lucario, and thus enabling Luke's Mega Evolution? Non-corresponding Pokemon can hold Mega Stones, for those who don't know; I had my Mawile hold Lucarionite just to be sure.

EDIT: I also had my Noivern hold Venusaurite, just in case only Pokemon capable of going Mega could hold the stones. Everything seems to be able to.

EDIT 2: Awesome Zebriken! Thanks! Sorry I missed that one... >.<

Last edited:

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I haven't seen anything on this yet, So here goes. Can Mega Stones be removed (Knock Off/Fling) or transferred (Trick/Symbiosis) if the Pokemon they correspond to are not the ones holding it? For the sake of example, if in a double battle Specs Lucario has its Specs Knocked Off, would its Symbiosis Florges partner holding Lacrionite then be able transfer it to Lucario, and thus enabling Luke's Mega Evolution? Non-corresponding Pokemon can hold Mega Stones, for those who don't know; I had my Mawile hold Lucarionite just to be sure.

EDIT: I also had my Noivern hold Venusaurite, just in case only Pokemon capable of going Mega could hold the stones. Everything seems to be able to.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pokémon-battle-mechanics-research.3489239/page-25#post-4911424

Raseri and I tested this last night. Pokemon with mega evos cannot be transferred their own mega item, although they can be given the mega evo items of other Pokemon.

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
Note: this thread will be moved to the new Uncharted Territory forum when it eventually appears.

Rumor: Play Nice ignores Protect.
I have confirmed this.
Pidgeot uses Quick Attack on enemy.
Pikachu uses Play Nice on Pidgeot. Attack lowered (to make sure it works on allies).
Enemies attack.

Pidgeot uses Protect.
Pikachu uses Play Nice on Pidgeot. Attack lowered (through Protect).

Also, can Skill Swap be used on a Mega Evolution?
A.K.A. Opponent gets Parental Bond from Mega Kangaskhan after Skill Swap.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I did a small testing for Spiky Shield. I was curious if the damage from Spiky Shield would activate a Pokemon's Aftermath ability. I got my Drifblim to a pretty low amount of HP then used Cut on my Chesnaught using Spiky Shield. Spiky Shield fainted Drifblim but Aftermath did not activate.

edit: Also Sturdy doesn't mention whether if it's affected by OHKO moves or not this gen so I went to test it out. It's still the same; OHKO moves don't work on Sturdy Pokemon.

Last edited:

V4Victini

再起不能
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
Some Nature Power Moves

Building: Tri Attack
Cave: Power Gem
Sand: Earth Power
Swamp: Mud Bomb
Grass: Energy Ball
Sea: Hydro Pump
Snow: Ice Beam

How much does the ability Sniper increase critical hits by?

Since crits have been reduced to 1.5x has the sniper boost decreased from 3.0x as well?

If Parental Bond is lost (e.g. because of Mummy) after the first hit, the second hit goes through as usual.
Tested with Mega Kangaskhan using Crunch against a Cofagrigus.

How much does the ability Sniper increase critical hits by?

Since crits have been reduced to 1.5x has the sniper boost decreased from 3.0x as well?
I believe this was addressed earlier in this thread and it was calculated to be 2.25x. I might be mis-remembering the number but it was definitely lower.

Can Confirm Gooey does activate Defiant. In Battle Maison and Metal Claw activated the opponent's Defiant when Gooey came into effect. Posting Battle Vid # Once i finish the match.

EDIT: Video is 2WJG-WWWW-WWWX-TL5M

Last edited:
How does Protean behave with the new accuracy mechanics for Toxic? When a Pokemon with Protean uses Toxic and turns into a Poison type, does it gain perfect accuracy?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)