Battle Mechanics Research

Alright, so me and Plus did a couple of test battles to see how MegaKangaskhan's ability, Parental Bond works. This is what we found out:
The first Attack does regular damage, the second attack does 50% of the damage the first attack does.
In a Double battle, both attacks are against the same target, you can not split them up.
In a double battle, if the first attack causes the enemy to faint, the second attack is not redirected to the other enemy.

I'll be testing out other quirks with this for awhile :)

Well this might be huge.

The TV told me Infiltrator allows attacks to bypass Substitutes, so I went to fight a Zubat horde to confirm it. A Zubat's Supersonic confused me with a Sub up, but the same Zubat's Astonish still did damage to the Sub instead of me, so my first assumption was it had Infiltrator but Infiltrator only effected status moves.

Then I fought another Zubat horde. This time one of the Zubat was able to damage me even when I had a Sub up. I caught it and it had Infiltrator.

I then went and found a Smeargle, had it sketch Thunder Wave, but Thunder Wave failed on the sub.
Then Smeargle's Sweet Scent failed on the sub.
Then Smeargle's Supersonic worked on the sub.

So it seems a certain range of status moves now naturally bypass Substitute.

EDIT: Or not. Leech Seed, Forest Curse, Swagger, Confuse Ray and Trick are all still blocked. Maybe this is just one of those weird oversights like Fire Fang bypassing Wonderguard?

Last edited:
No idea if this is new(i didn't read this entire thread). What happens if we have two alakazams, one with a mega stone and one without, and the one without uses trick or something, can it mega evolve with it? And if they both had one and both mega evolved and one uses trick, does anything change?

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
No idea if this is new(i didn't read this entire thread). What happens if we have two alakazams, one with a mega stone and one without, and the one without uses trick or something, can it mega evolve with it? And if they both had one and both mega evolved and one uses trick, does anything change?
Mega Stones cannot be Tricked.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I found an NPC in Snowbelle City that says Pokemon cannot be frozen in harsh sunlight, and Raseri said that Pokemon could be frozen in Sun in 5th gen.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Sturdy works the same way as it did in Black and White for regular attacks like Bubble. No word on multihit moves yet.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alright, so me and Plus did a couple of test battles to see how MegaKangaskhan's ability, Parental Bond works. This is what we found out:
The first Attack does regular damage, the second attack does 50% of the damage the first attack does.
In a Double battle, both attacks are against the same target, you can not split them up.
In a double battle, if the first attack causes the enemy to faint, the second attack is not redirected to the other enemy.

Will it phaze twice with Circle Throw?

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Lol man I think I posted this in the wrong forum, and I hate spamming places, but my friend confirmed that Magic Room's item-nullifying doesn't affect Mega Stones, at least after Mega-Evolution has taken place. Meaning they don't de-volve spontaneously when the move is used. I want to assume the same for Embargo

EDIT: My friend also says that Flying Press hit his Doublade, so it probably can get around immunities

Last edited:
Lol man I think I posted this in the wrong forum, and I hate spamming places, but my friend confirmed that Magic Room's item-nullifying doesn't affect Mega Stones, at least after Mega-Evolution has taken place. Meaning they don't de-volve spontaneously when the move is used. I want to assume the same for Embargo
I had the same effect with Embargo. It did not nullify a mega evolution

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Mega Evolution occurs regardless of Paralysis, I Mega Evolved while Paralyzed and was still FP'd that turn.

I fought a Kangaskhan with my Ivysaur earlier; twice after putting it to sleep with Sleep Powder (going first), it woke up on the same turn, and attacked back. How did Early Bird work in previous generations, and was it always possible to wake up on the very turn the Pokémon fell asleep, if it goes last?
That is normal Early Bird behavior, yes.

If Mega Kangaskhan uses Bite, does each hit have a chance to make the target flinch?

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
I found an NPC in Snowbelle City that says Pokemon cannot be frozen in harsh sunlight, and Raseri said that Pokemon could be frozen in Sun in 5th gen.
I'm fairly sure Pokémon could never be frozen in harsh sunlight, even in gen 5. (Though if there's evidence to the contrary, I'd like to see it!)

Few other things:
You can Mega evolve while sleeping.
It appears that when two Pokemon mega evolve on the same turn, the faster one goes first.
Parental Bond works the exact same when Traced. Kirlia attacked twice after Tracing it.
Power-Up Punch provided 2 attack boosts, so I'd assume that attacks with a chance of activation would apply to both hits. Will test this more though.

Thanks to DTC for working with me on this

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This one may please a lot of you who got pissed off by Prankster Riolu...I actually had my Riolu use Copycat, and it failed. Mawile was slower than me, but it used Fake Tears at the end of the turn before. The turn after, I went first and used Copycat, and it failed. So it MAY not be able to work on certain status moves? I could be wrong though. Gonna definitely try to look into it

EDIT: Oddly enough, the same scenario happened where it was able to Copycat a Machop's Leer. So maybe it's selective on which status moves it works with? Either way I don't think this was possible last gen, unless I did something wrong here

EDIT EDIT: yeah, I think I did something wrong. It was just that one instance, the move seems to work fine otherwise

Last edited:
Misty terrain turns nature power into Moon Blast
I would assume this would mean grassy terrain becomes energy ball and electric field becomes thunderbolt but this need further testing

I just got 32bp in Battle Maison, and yes, it does remove the charge turn.

• Weakness Policy: is it used up when the Pokémon is hit by a super-effective move, or does the item remain?
It is used up when the Pokemon is hit by a super effective move, it does not remain.

Last edited:
Reactions: DTC
Misty terrain turns nature power into Moon Blast
I would assume this would mean grassy terrain becomes energy ball and electric field becomes thunderbolt but this need further testing
I can confirm that grassy terrain turns it into energy ball. It also seems that grassy terrain boosts grass type moves, my floette's magical leaf definitely seemed to be doing more with it up. Can you test if misty terrain boosts fairy moves?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I can confirm electric terrain boosts electric moves, fairy terrain likely follows the pattern and boosts fairy moves.

Plus and myself tested this question in the OP:

• Does Transform work on Mega-Evolved Pokémon? If so, does the Pokémon transform into its Mega-Evolved forme or its normal forme?
We tested Ditto vs Mega Mawile. When Ditto transformed it turned into Mega Mawile. After this, we tested the damage done by each attack, to confirm it wasn't cosmetic only. The damage done was within 1. So Transform turn you into a Mega Pokemon!

A signpost told me Misty Terrain halves damage taken from Dragon-type moves for all non-Flying non-Levitating Pokémon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)