RMT Battle Network

Korski's RMT reminded me that I've been meaning to post this RMT for a while. This team was my first attempt at making a CAP team (well first attempt that wasn't just me fucking around and throwing 6 CAPs together), and it was made in the pre-Aurumoth metagame. I won't even go into my thoughts on the bug, but it crippled the team pretty badly so I decided to retire it for good. Prior to Aurumoth's release, the team sat at #1 on PS and had roughly a 1940 ish rating if I'm remembering correctly. The team is based really 2 ideas. 1, around the idea of using pokemon with many useful resistances to prevent me from getting worn down, and 2, wearing down the opponent's threats with powerful STAB attacks so I can open a hole for either Revenankh and Latias to sweep with. Also now the team is based on Bioshock Infinite. Sweet game.

Undertow (Politoed) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Toxic

Since this is a rain team, it's only fitting that I start with Politoed. As the only bringer of permanent rain in the metagame, he was a must when considering making a rain team. Now I normally hate Politoed because usually when I run him in OU, he either ends up not hitting hard enough and and doing, or not stopping enough and not doing anything. In CAP however, since the pace of the metagame is a bit slower, his job is pretty easy to pull off. He burns physical switch in's like Ferrothorn and he poisons the more defensive threats trying to get in. Perish Song is to force out problematic pokemon, usually set up sweepers like Necturna who think they can force me out and set up. He's usually my go-to pokemon to start the match, not just because of Drizzle, but because Protect let's it scout the team I'm playing against without any drawbacks.

Politoed is an incredible asset to the team and it helps everyone else out if he stays alive, so a defensive set was the most logical idea. The rain lets Tomohawk and Krilowatt fire off Hurricane's and Thunder's respectively and no one likes switching into either unless they flat out resist it.

Murder Of Crows (Tomohawk) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Spd / 56 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Aura Sphere
- Hurricane
- Rapid Spin
- Roost

Tomohawk is easily the best CAP, or at least most useful. He's momentum personified with this set because he can easily dictate the pace of the match. His STABs hit problematic pokemon hard, such as Tyranitar, who because of Intimidate and Tomohawk's resistance to many of it's moves, is forced out unless he wants to take an Aura Sphere. Hurricane especially is a great move, and many times I can just spam it and wear down my opponents pokemon, because the few pokemon that can waltz in on a Hurricane usually hate taking an Auru Sphere. Rapid Spin, while an important move due to the prominence of Spikes in this metagame, goes unused by me most of the time, but it helps in situations when Spikes are up so I can soften the load on Ferrothorn, Revenankh and Politoed. The EV's and nature let me get the jump on neutral Lucario's and Kyurem. Not to mention other Tomohawks because of Modest blah blah.

Shock Jockey (Krilowatt) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Heart Swap

Krilowatt, while not really used for its initial purpose of being a utility counter, does a hell of job sweeping. His magic guard is such an amazing ability because he can absorb status almost as well as Revenankh can, use Life Orb without any drawbacks whatsoever and let's him switch in and out like it's nothing. STAB Thunder does insane amounts, and most of time he's out he's either spamming Thunder or a Rain Boosted Surf. His gigantic base 151 HP give him the pretty unique ability to switch into practically any attack within reason and deal with the threat accordingly. He's extra insurance against anything, and he hits like a fucking truck. I used to run Earth Power but I feel as though Heart Swap is more useful because I can surprise set up sweepers that think they can get a free sweep. Not to mention Heart Swapping a QD Moth is pretty much game over.

Charge (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn is a rough pokemon to face, especially in rain. Effectively leaving it with only 1 weakness to Fighting type attacks, it usually can come in and out without much trouble, wear down the opponent with Iron Barbs and set up rocks and Spikes. Thunder Wave hits the speedier switch ins and it's an absolute god send for this team. I can't tell you how many times an enemy Tomohawk, who would can be problematic assuming it managed to outlast my Latias, tried to come in on me only to get paralyzed and rendered basically useless. His job though is to just sponge hits and set up hazards that my next two pokemon love to have up.

Devil's Kiss (Kitsunoh) @ Leftovers
Trait: Limber
EVs: 252 Spd / 76 HP / 128 SDef
Jolly Nature
- ShadowStrike
- Earthquake
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute

Kitsunoh is the Swiss Army Knife of CAP. Plain and simple. It can switch in and set up on a majority of the metagame and just burn pokemon who prove to be a problem. This variant better checks Tomohawk (Granted, it's still doing roughly 30% per Hurricane) and serves as a much better spinblocker than Revenankh. It's not as offensive but the pressure it provides with the defense drops in conjunction with Spikes and SR makes it pretty pretty potent.

Return To Sender (Latias) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 180 HP / 60 Def / 16 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Roost
- Refresh

I originally had RP Genesect in this spot because I thought I needed a speedier late game sweeper to contrast Revenankh's slow boosting. However, because I repeatedly lost to stall (because they all carry something for Revenankh; if I'm remembering right, Tomohawk was a big one) and Genesect wasn't doing it for me so I decided to switch it with Latias. Mono attacking Latias is absolutely lovely. It can't be forced out by Toxic and it typically gets 3 or 4 boosts per match. The best part about Latias is, like Revenankh, it provides valuable resistances to an the team, notably a second psychic resist and second fighting resist which is always welcome given how many of the CAPs are fighting types. Many of the potential checks for this latias, like every steel type is handled adeptly by Revenankh, except for Kitsunoh which does give this team some trouble, but it's usually worn down by the time Latias comes out to sweep. The EVs are a bit weird but I can survive a +2 ES from Luke, which is probably the strongest physical attack that I'd ever want to take, and I can survive staying in on a pursuit from Tyranitar and Scizor.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok, so I know I have faced this team a few times in the past, and I can definitely say that it is well construsted. There are a few things that stand out to me that could possibly be addressed to make it better.

First, while I personally never used it, as you mentioned, opponents running your own Tomohawk sets or other Rapid Spin Tomos can give you a bit of trouble. Tomohawk can get in easily on half your team, which is not that unusual, and not a huge problem by itself, but with Rev being your spin blocker, you will be hard pressed to stop it from getting rid of your hazards. Really, the only way to prevent a Spin Tomo from spinning is with a double switch to Rev and then Kril. While in general, Kril and Latias do a good job checking Tomo, spin variants will give you a headache when it comes to keeping your hazards down.

Kitsunoh is another Pokemon that has the potential to cause problems for your team, and is honestly the biggest concern for you in my opinion. While Politoed isn't too threatened by it, it is loath to switch in against it repeatedly, thanks to the high chance of a defense drop from ShadowStrike. A Tomohawk without Prankster Substitute also lacks the ability to tank hits from Kit. Rev and Latios are both scared of its STAB super effective moves, and Ferrothorn can't do much to hurt it and has to beware of Will-o-Wisp. Krill is the only one who can really switch in feeling safe most of the time, and even it has to be careful of the occasional EQ.

While the team is fairly solid already, if I was to make any suggestions, it would probably be to switch Revenank out for a Kitsunoh, probably one with Earthquake. Unlike Rev, Kit can easily spinblock most Tomo. Its not exactly doing the most damage back to it, but unlike Rev it can come in without fear, giving you more opportunity to get to an apropriate counter before it spins. Spinning Mollux can give you problems, much like Spin Tomo did to Rev, but Earthquake can usually take care of them before they can do too much. EQ is also nice insurance against opposing Krilowatt, which could cause you trouble later in matches, especially if Ferro is down. Kit also can provide nice support with moves like Will-o-Wisp which much of the team can appreciate. Obviously, this would mean the loss of priority moves on your team, which could be a problem in certain situations, but I don't feel would be too big a deal in general. Overall this is more of a pick your poison change than anything else. Its not a fix all that will make it a perfect team, but it replaces some of your problems with other ones that might be more managable.

As a side note, I absolutely love that Latias set in CAP. I have used it multiple times myself and it is just fantastic.

I ran a similar set with Psycho Shift Latios at one point. I think it's worth considering over refresh.

Anyway, this team seems pretty susceptible to setup sweepers, especially speed boosters, so I can see why Aurumoth would give it trouble. I'm not sure I would have recommended leaving it without something more to deal with setups even before Auru though. Given the emphasis on hazards, a phazing move seems appropriate, rather than a random scarfer or something. Roar/DPulse/Refresh/Calm Mind Latias would be a good option in my opinion.

Ok, so I know I have faced this team a few times in the past, and I can definitely say that it is well construsted. There are a few things that stand out to me that could possibly be addressed to make it better.

First, while I personally never used it, as you mentioned, opponents running your own Tomohawk sets or other Rapid Spin Tomos can give you a bit of trouble. Tomohawk can get in easily on half your team, which is not that unusual, and not a huge problem by itself, but with Rev being your spin blocker, you will be hard pressed to stop it from getting rid of your hazards. Really, the only way to prevent a Spin Tomo from spinning is with a double switch to Rev and then Kril. While in general, Kril and Latias do a good job checking Tomo, spin variants will give you a headache when it comes to keeping your hazards down.

Kitsunoh is another Pokemon that has the potential to cause problems for your team, and is honestly the biggest concern for you in my opinion. While Politoed isn't too threatened by it, it is loath to switch in against it repeatedly, thanks to the high chance of a defense drop from ShadowStrike. A Tomohawk without Prankster Substitute also lacks the ability to tank hits from Kit. Rev and Latios are both scared of its STAB super effective moves, and Ferrothorn can't do much to hurt it and has to beware of Will-o-Wisp. Krill is the only one who can really switch in feeling safe most of the time, and even it has to be careful of the occasional EQ.

While the team is fairly solid already, if I was to make any suggestions, it would probably be to switch Revenank out for a Kitsunoh, probably one with Earthquake. Unlike Rev, Kit can easily spinblock most Tomo. Its not exactly doing the most damage back to it, but unlike Rev it can come in without fear, giving you more opportunity to get to an apropriate counter before it spins. Spinning Mollux can give you problems, much like Spin Tomo did to Rev, but Earthquake can usually take care of them before they can do too much. EQ is also nice insurance against opposing Krilowatt, which could cause you trouble later in matches, especially if Ferro is down. Kit also can provide nice support with moves like Will-o-Wisp which much of the team can appreciate. Obviously, this would mean the loss of priority moves on your team, which could be a problem in certain situations, but I don't feel would be too big a deal in general. Overall this is more of a pick your poison change than anything else. Its not a fix all that will make it a perfect team, but it replaces some of your problems with other ones that might be more managable.

As a side note, I absolutely love that Latias set in CAP. I have used it multiple times myself and it is just fantastic.
Yeah I've considered running Kitsunoh a few times, but I always went with a more offensive variant, don't know why I didn't go for Wispy Kit. It seems like it would be a nice fit in place of Rev. And running Ice Shard on Kril probably is something that I could do to replace the priority that I lost with Rev. I'll have to give it a run.

And yeah, Mono attack Latias is a fanastic pokemon. Once you get steel types out of the way, there's nothing that can really stop it.

I ran a similar set with Psycho Shift Latios at one point. I think it's worth considering over refresh.

Anyway, this team seems pretty susceptible to setup sweepers, especially speed boosters, so I can see why Aurumoth would give it trouble. I'm not sure I would have recommended leaving it without something more to deal with setups even before Auru though. Given the emphasis on hazards, a phazing move seems appropriate, rather than a random scarfer or something. Roar/DPulse/Refresh/Calm Mind Latias would be a good option in my opinion.
I had thought about Psycho Shift previously, because most of the pokemon running Toxic or Thunder Wave or something would hate having those statuses used on them, but I felt as though Refresh is a bit more reliable in tighter spots since it isn't something that only works once on each pokemon.

Roar is something I've wanted to try for a while too, but I've always been a little nervous forgoing recovery, since Refresh is pretty pivotal on the set. Roar is an option on Kitsunoh which I could always run, and whirlwind is something to consider but Tomohawk has that fucking 4 moveslot syndrome.

I'll run Roar on Latias and see where it gets me, and if that doesn't work, then roar is going on Kitsunoh.

Thanks for the rates guys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)