Online Competition Battle of Alola [POST YOUR RESULTS!]

Phermosa in general can't touch ghost types in general, so they're probably you're best bet as a counter. ( unless it carries Fling lol )

I've been thinking of running Solgaleo, but I'm stuck on what moves to use on it. So far I've thought of something like this with a Jolly nature:

- Sunsteel Strike ( Picks up Mimikyu )
- Crunch ( Lunala )
- Flare Blitz ( nails down Celesteela )
- ????

Really don't know what to use on its 4th moveslot. Zen Headbutt came to mind for a 2nd STAB option, but I can't really think of anything relevant that isn't already covered by Sunsteel Strike, Crunch and Flare Bliz. Would Morning Sun be worth using instead?

I've been thinking of running Solgaleo, but I'm stuck on what moves to use on it. So far I've thought of something like this with a Jolly nature:

- Sunsteel Strike ( Picks up Mimikyu )
- Crunch ( Lunala )
- Flare Blitz ( nails down Celesteela )
- ????

Really don't know what to use on its 4th moveslot. Zen Headbutt came to mind for a 2nd STAB option, but I can't really think of anything relevant that isn't already covered by Sunsteel Strike, Crunch and Flare Bliz. Would Morning Sun be worth using instead?
Zen headbutt may be useful for hitting toxapex, since it otherwise walls solgaleo and can burn with scald. Z splash as kyergr mentions is of course impossible since no items. Keep in mind that solgaleo needs to be able to survive a moongeist beam from a modest lunala at least, which means some special defense or hp investment, and it can't ohko except after some chip damage (mostly to get rid of shadow shield). I saw someone recommending flame charge actually to get a speed advantage and the chip damage you need, without much speed investment.

Zen headbutt may be useful for hitting toxapex, since it otherwise walls solgaleo and can burn with scald. Z splash as kyergr mentions is of course impossible since no items. Keep in mind that solgaleo needs to be able to survive a moongeist beam from a modest lunala at least, which means some special defense or hp investment, and it can't ohko except after some chip damage (mostly to get rid of shadow shield). I saw someone recommending flame charge actually to get a speed advantage and the chip damage you need, without much speed investment.
Oh right, Toxapex totally slipped my mind. And I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Theorymon's Solgaleo set, which is pretty cool but unfortunately I don't have an Adamant natured Solgaleo, and Jolly already outpaces Mimikyu and speedties with Lunala so I'd like to maximize damage instead since I already have a chance against the two things I'm worried about the most.

Also, I'm aware of Shadow Shield which makes me thing if Stealth Rocks aren't actually a good call here. Virtually no one is running Rapid Spin or Defog so once I get rocks up they're probably not getting removed, which is great.

I'm trying to build a team around Primarina as a special sweeper, but I'm not sure of any good support and additional coverage.

Primarina (F)
Torrent
EVs: 252 HP/252 SpA/4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Moves: Moonblast, Energy Ball, Ice Beam, Scald

I'm still learning about comp and proper spreads, so any help would be appreciated!

Lol i cutted the "one special pokemon" thing.

So i can use lunala. Good, this can handle pheromosa. I suppose the competition will be something a big speed tie of Lunala, who hit first with moongeist beam? Lol

But I think i'm going to build on solgaleo

Guys, i have trouble to keep in mind alola dex. Who are solgaleo and lunala's trouble?

Last edited:
Does the "No items allowed" clause specifically mean that pokes can't hold items, or is it just an obligatory "no u cant use max revives lol"? I assumed it meant no held items at first, too, but the wording seems kind of vague to me. I've checked a couple of sites, but I couldn't find a clear answer. (This is the first time I've done a PGL tournament, so not too familiar with the format either :/ )

Does the "No items allowed" clause specifically mean that pokes can't hold items, or is it just an obligatory "no u cant use max revives lol"? I assumed it meant no held items at first, too, but the wording seems kind of vague to me. I've checked a couple of sites, but I couldn't find a clear answer. (This is the first time I've done a PGL tournament, so not too familiar with the format either :/ )
given that actually using consumables has never been allowed in online, and they've never had to specifically mention it before, i think it's safe to assume it means no hold items

Phermosa in general can't touch ghost types in general, so they're probably you're best bet as a counter. ( unless it carries Fling lol )
Fling might be tough to pull off without any items. Not that I haven't seen the AI try it a hundred times.

How do you guys plan on beating Lunala? Also, is there a ladder for this on Showdown?

Fling might be tough to pull off without any items. Not that I haven't seen the AI try it a hundred times.

How do you guys plan on beating Lunala? Also, is there a ladder for this on Showdown?
lol. I forgot. Alolan Muk walls it pretty hard.

Also, is there a ladder for this on Showdown?
Not yet it seems, but at least we'll get an ingame ladder:

"Ahead of the upcoming Battle of Alola Battle Competition, the special ruleset for this competition is now available to download in the Festival Plaza. With this, you'll be able to play with the Battle of Alola rules against friends and strangers over local wireless and online. This is accessed through the Festival Plaza > Download Rules option in the game." EDIT: Wait, this is just the special ruleset we already knew about, isn't it? nvm then. It still is a good sign that they provide in-game ladder in front of online competitions from now on, although it removes some of the "charm" with the teambuilding process.

Last edited:

Magearna with shadow ball is my plan for handling lunala

Magearna with shadow ball is my plan for handling lunala
Some more fun things to consider:
Full-bulk Special Defense Scizor can barely PP-waste Timid non-Calm Mind Moongeist Beams with Roost (and actually kill it back eventually with Swords Danced Bullet Punches, unlike Celesteela).
Kangaskhan can kind of contest starter Lunala (and can be switched into Moongeist Beam) with Fake Out + Sucker Punch while outspeeding most of the meta. Lunala of course has the option of using Moonlight after the Fake Out, at which point Kangaskhan can opt to use Work Up at the expense of a coverage move. Starter Adamant Kangaskhan also 1v1s Jolly Garchomp with Fake Out + Outrage (or Counter) and Tapu Koko with Fake Out + Earthquake or Double-Edge.

I feel like every team's going to need a Dragon, Fairy and/or Ice type Pokemon to stand a chance vs Zygarde-Complete. Why they're allowing this broken mon in the format, I will never understand.

Are non-alolan forms of Pokémon like Persian, Dugtrio, Muk, allowed? Dex number is the same as Alolan forms and you can obtain them through breeding iirc, so they should be allowed. Is that true? Just looking for confirmations since PS doesn't allow them as now.

I feel like every team's going to need a Dragon, Fairy and/or Ice type Pokemon to stand a chance vs Zygarde-Complete. Why they're allowing this broken mon in the format, I will never understand.
With the Tapus being virtually everywhere I highly doubt Zygarde will be something to be worried about, specially when using it means giving up on Solgalo and Lunala, both of which have much more favourable match ups in the current meta.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Are non-alolan forms of Pokémon like Persian, Dugtrio, Muk, allowed? Dex number is the same as Alolan forms and you can obtain them through breeding iirc, so they should be allowed. Is that true? Just looking for confirmations since PS doesn't allow them as now.
The only way Kanto forms of those Pokemon can be obtained is by breeding with Kanto variant itself holding an Everstone, since that's not possible before Bank they're not available for this competition. I would imagine future competitions after Bank restricting to the Alola dex would make them legal though.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
This format should be fun lol. I'm curious if this and the special ladder doesn't include items because they realized that players likely haven't accumulated enough BP naturally yet to buy the battle items lol. Either way, I'm thinking about going in with a quick build using the same pokemon I've been breeding for doubles, plus solgaleo.

solgaleo
ninetales-a
marowak-a
garchomp/mudsdale (playing around with both as my team's ground type atm)
tapu bulu
pelipper (lol this guy's likely gonna be outclassed)

Incineroar has good type for a switch-in against nebby duo (lol), I don't know incineroar stats yet tho, and solgaleo should learn eq.. I have just understand if eq will be used a lot.

It's a fun fact as mimkyu has 2 weakness and both of them have the same types of the 2 legendaries signature moves that hit over disguise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)