Battle Spot - Simple Questions and Answers

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It just says your DS can't connect to the internet. I don't have this issue, so it's either your DS or your router that's fucking up.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ok so i got like 5+ dcs in a row. i know this isn't nintendo but like i went and adjusted dns settings and everything as the error code tells me to and STILL MORE DCS. has any1 ever dealt with this?

More than anything i'm frustrated i've dropped so many damn points (over 100) for these pathetic dcs!
and this is also the 1st time i've ever dealt with my 3ds connection becoming all crappy like this. i have never dealt with this kinda net interaction in the past and ive laddered for well over 1000 games including xy >:(

DragonWhale you think you could figure out what that jpn dc thing i pm'd you is saying? needless to say, this is what has come of the situation
Do you play at home or at college? Are you too far from the router? Is it a new router? Have you gone over your internet plans data allowance? We need more information before we can hello other than 'ahhhh something is happening!'

In other news, I've been testing a new team with a bunch of stuff that I've never used before (bar Dragonite because <3) and I've been running into A LOT of Greninja and can't do anything to them. I've never really struggled against them coz I usually carry Talonflame to revenge it but I'm at a loss as to what else I could use. It probably doesn't help that my team is super Ice-weak and my only resist is Suicune (who dies to Grass Knot) so I should probably look into that, lol. Other than that, I've been having a lot of fun with Mega Altaria. Running both Return + Facade is a little annoying (I really miss Roost sometimes) but I attract that much Toxic and Will-O-Wisp with it that Facade just destroys things. Mega Metagross is also ok, but I find that he either sweeps teams alone or does absolutely nothing so I'm going to replace him with Heatran ASAP. Will probably use an all-out attacking set but not sure yet. Reflect + Rocky Helmet Serperior is really fun too. Even without SpA investment Leaf Storm racks up power really quickly. HP Rock has been mostly useless so I'll probably drop it for Taunt or Glare soon.

tl;dr: help me with Greninja please

edit: I know what we're doing for the next victim of the week!

Last edited:
I play at home. My router is my infinite phone data 3g I've been using since December 2013 on xy and has been flawless until just a few days ago. Ever since the sudden change, I changed to my home router. My home router works ok for stretches and then other times it acts all inconsistent and is unpredictable. Then I started messing around between the two and messing with the dns setting according to one of the error codes for my phone data but the thing has been failing me too. I switched back to my home router and it was dying out on me during literally every single sequence becoming very frustrating in the process. As of the past hr my home router has been ok. But then again it started acting stupid unpredictably a few hrs back so idk.

My phone is always like in arms length away from me when I play using it. My home router is directly below me 1 floor. I have a very long history with using my phone to play pkmn online just in case someone might think there's no way 3g could be reliable for laddering. It has been a lot more reliable than my house router for the past yr and a half. Since my home router is currently working I wonder how long it'll be consistent for. I'm currently laddering on 2 consoles at the same time because it's that frustrating having lost so many points winning 2 at the same time is so satisfying >_<

As for Greninja, mine had Gunk Shot for sylveon azu and the infamous clefabe(who are way too bulky to die to an unboosted Return and unaware just laughs) Grass Knot for Mamo and Swampert especially who would otherwise make things too ez for MMence (common core to have Pert and a setup mon like MMence Dnite MPinsir) and together with Ice Beam is one of the few if only Mons who can check the pert mence core single-handedly, Dark Pulse for aegislash and especially cresselia who just makes nonspecial variants cry. I haven't played normal bss in ages but the last time I played it, I was using Glalie Cress CharX Tran Special MKhan and p2 so can't really help beyond what my altaria vids have

Do you play at home or at college? Are you too far from the router? Is it a new router? Have you gone over your internet plans data allowance? We need more information before we can hello other than 'ahhhh something is happening!'

In other news, I've been testing a new team with a bunch of stuff that I've never used before (bar Dragonite because <3) and I've been running into A LOT of Greninja and can't do anything to them. I've never really struggled against them coz I usually carry Talonflame to revenge it but I'm at a loss as to what else I could use. It probably doesn't help that my team is super Ice-weak and my only resist is Suicune (who dies to Grass Knot) so I should probably look into that, lol. Other than that, I've been having a lot of fun with Mega Altaria. Running both Return + Facade is a little annoying (I really miss Roost sometimes) but I attract that much Toxic and Will-O-Wisp with it that Facade just destroys things. Mega Metagross is also ok, but I find that he either sweeps teams alone or does absolutely nothing so I'm going to replace him with Heatran ASAP. Will probably use an all-out attacking set but not sure yet. Reflect + Rocky Helmet Serperior is really fun too. Even without SpA investment Leaf Storm racks up power really quickly. HP Rock has been mostly useless so I'll probably drop it for Taunt or Glare soon.

tl;dr: help me with Greninja please
What about special defensive physical aegislash with sacred sword and weakness policy? It lives dark pulse and gets the boost of weakness policy and koes with sacred sword or if greninja carries focus sash you have your shadow sneak. Aegislash can come in on a predicted gunk shot or low kick.

252+ SpA Life Orb Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aegislash-Shield: 88-109 (52.6 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You dont even need max investment.

252+ SpA Life Orb Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 101-120 (74.8 - 88.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
cant say answers to Greninja - defensively, it's almost impossible to check Greninja due to the ridiculous array of coverage options it has. This means that any offensive Pokémon with a lower speed stat is pretty much useless against it. Therefore, offensive Pokémon with higher speed have a better matchup against it because it's frail as hell - Talonflame is a good example if you can deal with Sash somehow. Klefki is a good defensive check because it only really fears Hydro Pump and Hidden Power [Fire], and it can simply paralyse Greninja and cripple it entirely. Fast Electric Pokémon like Jolteon, Mega Manectric and Scarf Thundurus-T do a good job, as do Mach Punch carriers like Breloom and Infernape. So, run a Scarfer, Klefki, a fastmon or Mach Punch.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
cant say answers to Greninja - defensively, it's almost impossible to check Greninja due to the ridiculous array of coverage options it has. This means that any offensive Pokémon with a lower speed stat is pretty much useless against it. Therefore, offensive Pokémon with higher speed have a better matchup against it because it's frail as hell - Talonflame is a good example if you can deal with Sash somehow. Klefki is a good defensive check because it only really fears Hydro Pump and Hidden Power [Fire], and it can simply paralyse Greninja and cripple it entirely. Fast Electric Pokémon like Jolteon, Mega Manectric and Scarf Thundurus-T do a good job, as do Mach Punch carriers like Breloom and Infernape. So, run a Scarfer, Klefki, a fastmon or Mach Punch.
Shuriken Gren has grown sorta popular, so even then it's important to scout its moves.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Whoops thought this was the general 3v3 thread, not simple questions.. It's all good though, I found a flawless bold (Great Ball) Porygon in my PC that I've been meaning to use and remembered that he screws Gren hard so I'm sticking it in my team to see how he goes :)

ayyo my relentlessness and my home router coming thru has enabled me to get most of the points back!! not a single dc in ~20 games! perhaps i picked a time where maybe the isp has maintenence idk how internet work technically but HELL YEAH BBY!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Does everyone play ORAS as opposed to XY for Battle Spot?
edit: Short answer; yes

If you have a game from both sets I really don't see the point in playing the XY meta unless you have a bunch of RNGs that you don't want to go to waste, otherwise you may as well play the one with all the cool new megas and easily available tutor moves! I haven't played XY since ORAS came out but they're two very different metas, and I definitely enjoy the ORAS one more than I did back in XY. Just looking at the two different top 12s shows how different they are:

• ORAS ~ XY
  1. Garchomp ~ Garchomp
  2. Kangaskhan ~ Kangaskhan
  3. Gengar ~ Talonflame
  4. Talonflame ~ Charizard
  5. Landorus ~ Gengar
  6. Blaziken ~ Aegislash
  7. Aegislash ~ Rotom-W
  8. Charizard ~ Greninja
  9. Thundurus ~ Azumarill
  10. Rotom-W ~ Blaziken
  11. Suicune ~ Gyarados
  12. Salamence ~ Dragonite
Ok so you've got your staples, but the XY meta has even more Greninja flying around (which explains Azumarill's presence since Gren doesn't have Gunk Shot to hit it with), Mega and Rocky Helmet Gyara are more common too, which may be XY's version of Landorus due to those players not having access to it unless the can transfer a good one. And then you have Dragonite which is more popular as their DDer of choice due to not having Mega Salamence.

The top players of XY are also ranked lower than those of ORAS, which means they're either not as good, or there just aren't as many (and therefore less points to earn). I'll say it's the latter there... I guess the biggest difference in XY is that there are less legendaries due to the need for transferring. Any serious player would have moved onto ORAS so even the good RNG'd Pokemon are disappearing and leaving behind the kids who only have XY to play on without outside help, so they're stuck with their breedables.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
my man, Greninja in xy can still rock those tutor moves (low kick and gunk)!
How? By trading it to someone with an ORAS game to have it tutored and then traded back? I said in my post it seems that those that still play XY don't have ORAS, or even look for outside help to get things from ORAS due to the lack of legendaries in the top 12. My point is further proved by the fact that Low Kick and Gunk Shot are used on only 19 and 18% of Greninja respectively in XY (as opposed to 40 and 43% in ORAS). I never said that you can't use tutor moves / pentagon legends in XY, it's just that people don't because those players don't have access to them...

The earlier post said "since Gren doesn't have Gunk Shot to hit it with" so that's why I said what I said. Yeah through transferring and I get your point but still wanted to point that out.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
The earlier post said "since Gren doesn't have Gunk Shot to hit it with" so that's why I said what I said. Yeah through transferring and I get your point but still wanted to point that out.
Guess I should have said "82% of Gren don't run it" instead..?

Again, I wasn't trying to state that they don't have it, more it isn't used due to XY players not having the ORAS games or people to help them. I guess I'm just trying to say I wasn't wrong and calling me out wasn't necessary, lol

edit: then maybe you should have stated it as such rather than with 'my man' at the start..

Last edited:
lol I understand what you were saying I was just adding that due to the wording and the fact that there are ppl who might be confused about xy-oras legality

Where are the completed strategydex analysis for battle spot singles? When I click on format, then battle spot singles, I get to a page that lists the banned pokemon and then says completed analysis are below...but you can't scroll any further down. is it just me?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Where are the completed strategydex analysis for battle spot singles? When I click on format, then battle spot singles, I get to a page that lists the banned pokemon and then says completed analysis are below...but you can't scroll any further down. is it just me?
For some reason the list I added there has been taken out. Im going to re-add it soon!

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Right now I am tied as far as points for the US #1 overall and I was wondering if I won the tie because I have a higher win percentage 133-73 (64.5%) > 158-106 (59.8%) or if it is something else.

Right now I am tied as far as points for the US #1 overall and I was wondering if I won the tie because I have a higher win percentage 133-73 (64.5%) > 158-106 (59.8%) or if it is something else.
I checked 4 other players 2 of them were tied with the other 2 and the higher ranked player was the 1 with a higher w rate so YES I believe you are right about that

What is the best nature for Tornadus or Tornadus-T? Are there any particular benefits of running one nature over another?

Just wondering because I'm about to SR for one and am not sure which Synchroniser I should use.

What is the best nature for Tornadus or Tornadus-T? Are there any particular benefits of running one nature over another?

Just wondering because I'm about to SR for one and am not sure which Synchroniser I should use.
Speed enhancing natures are the best! Depending on whether you want to run phys biased mixed, special biased mixed, or full on special, or full on physical for select a Torn-I set, you have to select what nature from Timid, Jolly, Naive, Hasty. I would recommend going the Timid route as there are better mixed offensive mons and full on physical attackers! The usage data shows that a majority of players run Timid Nature Torn-I and not a single physical move is in the top 10 usage and while there's no way to find out about not as much used alternate forms of Pokemon like Torn-T due to the way the 3ds website pokedex works unless you look for a very niche team mate of Torn-T, I'd still suggest Timid Nature!
I dug up the older showdown usage data and for Torn-T Timid is still most used Nature

edit: after following Demantoid 's super useful tip wish I knew about in xy when Lando was not in top 12 :'(
I saw that Torn-T is even more likely to be Timid than Torn-I!

Last edited:

Demantoid

APMS Founder
Speed enhancing natures are the best! Depending on whether you want to run phys biased mixed, special biased mixed, or full on special, or full on physical for select a Torn-I set, you have to select what nature from Timid, Jolly, Naive, Hasty. I would recommend going the Timid route as there are better mixed offensive mons and full on physical attackers! The usage data shows that a majority of players run Timid Nature Torn-I and not a single physical move is in the top 10 usage and while there's no way to find out about not as much used alternate forms of Pokemon like Torn-T due to the way the 3ds website pokedex works unless you look for a very niche team mate of Torn-T, I'd still suggest Timid Nature!
I dug up the older showdown usage data and for Torn-T Timid is still most used Nature
I just found this out a few days ago but if you search for the regular version (so just Tornadus) and go right with the navigation arrows at the top it will take you to different forms of the Pokémon.

What is the best moveset for Feraligatr in inverse? According to GL, it usually runs Impish nature and rocky helmet.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
What is the best move set for Feraligatr in inverse? According to GL, it usually runs Impish nature and rocky helmet.
That set is used by one person it looks like because the usage on Feraligatr is so low.

I would probably run a move set of Dragon Dance and Waterfall with 2 of Aqua Jet (for priority), Shadow Claw (Hits Kanga Super Effectively), Return (For Gengar), Facade (For Gengar and Status), Rock Slide (for Garchomp), and Ice Punch (for Glalie) holding Life Orb with Sheer Force. If you can EV to survive Kangaskhan's attacks and outspeed things after a DD. You could also run Swords Dance if you wanted to.

Reactions: PPB

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)