Battle Spot - Simple Questions and Answers

Is hitmontop viable with quick gurd, wide guard, feint, close combat, im a little afraid of using it without fake out, but I want to protect zard y from both pranksters and rock slides
Depending on the format you could use fake out instead of feint. If you're playing doubles, feint isn't as much of a necessity as fake out.

I'm a long time player and fan..any tips to get into Battle Spot? I have a Saur/Gar/Azu/Rotom-W/T-Flame/Garchomp...with Venusaurite/Gengarite/Assault Vest/Leftovers/Choice Band/Choice Scarf. I assume this has item clause? Any tips on metagame threats et al?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm a long time player and fan..any tips to get into Battle Spot? I have a Saur/Gar/Azu/Rotom-W/T-Flame/Garchomp...with Venusaurite/Gengarite/Assault Vest/Leftovers/Choice Band/Choice Scarf. I assume this has item clause? Any tips on metagame threats et al?
Hey Sunny, try checking out some of the individual threads; General Singles discussion, Singles Viabilities Rankings, The Leaderboard thread etc. (on my phone so no fancy links unfortunately). The main thing to remember is that the banlist here is different to Smogon OU (Mega Kanga and Aegi, among others, are very big threats) and like you said, item clause is in effect so be prepared to see some weird item combinations / don't be afraid to try some of your own. 3v3 is also much different to Smogon 6v6 in that it is very fast-paced, there's no where near as much switching, and entry hazards are next to non-existant.

From the preview of your team so far (sans movesets) it looks like you're rolling with some already tried-and-tested Battle Spot favourites so go ahead and give them a go. Best way to learn is to try it out for yourself!

Hi, i used to use zard y + intimidate user ( scrafty) as my leads in double batlespot. But now that i moved up to 1700-1800, many people are using landorus T + thundurus-I with defiant as leads, generaly coupled with with cresselia and mega mawile. I cant just do the same, because i dont have thundurus with defiant. Im thinking on pokemon that i could use as leads when i see landorus and thundurus in the team preview. Ive thought about greninja + mega-abomasnow , greninja can blizzard both of them. But landorus is generally with scarf, so it will use rock slide first. Ive also thought about mamoswine, wich is imune to thundurus wild charges, neutral to rock slide, and can ice shard landorus.But its a physical attacker, and intimidate will make it weaker. Would like to know what you think i should do.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hi, i used to use zard y + intimidate user ( scrafty) as my leads in double batlespot. But now that i moved up to 1700-1800, many people are using landorus T + thundurus-I with defiant as leads, generaly coupled with with cresselia and mega mawile. I cant just do the same, because i dont have thundurus with defiant. Im thinking on pokemon that i could use as leads when i see landorus and thundurus in the team preview. Ive thought about greninja + mega-abomasnow , greninja can blizzard both of them. But landorus is generally with scarf, so it will use rock slide first. Ive also thought about mamoswine, wich is imune to thundurus wild charges, neutral to rock slide, and can ice shard landorus.But its a physical attacker, and intimidate will make it weaker. Would like to know what you think i should do.
Consider a good Wide Guard user. Aegislash does fairly well against the listed comp and is not particularly affected by Intimidate, while Defiant Thundurus-I often lacks Taunt. Getting rid of Thundurus-I should be your win condition because Charizard-Y + Aegi steamroll through everything else in the listed team.

Hey guys, haven't been on Smogon for a couple months. What's new with wifi battle? Any new mons gaining relevancy? Trying to draft a new team. PM if you dont mind helping me filter through the draftees

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Hey guys, haven't been on Smogon for a couple months. What's new with wifi battle? Any new mons gaining relevancy? Trying to draft a new team. PM if you dont mind helping me filter through the draftees
Battle Spot will be undergoing significant changes when OR/AS comes around; read this thread for more information.

In one week, Battle Spot will go down for maintenance until OR/AS release and these changes will take effect.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Sneak preview of what's coming up....all of those eggs are flawless, gonna try to match some with some shiny hatchers and hope that someone on reddit doesn't want to arrest me for "leeching" lol. But these are for you guys and to spread awareness of the forum, the giveaway will happen closer to OR/AS :)

P.S. I bred Thrash on specifically so you guys could be inclined to try it out because it outdamages Outrage and nothing is immune to Flying. +1 Aerilate STAB Thrash is nothing to sneeze at.

Last edited:
In the current incarnation? No. Eruption Heatran will be banned in ORAS League but other than that, I am not aware of any bans regarding Eruption.
The weird thing is that I couldn't use my Heatran with Eruption, but when I learned it an other TM over Eruption it let me use it in BattleSpot

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I am pretty sure it is legit. I can still use the pokemon in BattleSpot as long as it hasn't the move Eruption o,o As if the move itself is banned
Check it's nature; the event Heatran comes locked with a Quiet nature.

re Mustakrakish36's question, Gengar can get by perfectly fine with Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb. Shadow Ball smacks most Steel-types quite hard and you're better off Will-o-Wisping Kangaskhan as most of the time it's going to try and Sucker Punch you. Focus Blast can and will miss at the worst possible time, trust me T.T

Last edited:
Check it's nature; the event Heatran comes locked with a Quiet nature.

re Mustakrakish36 's question, Gengar can get by perfectly fine with Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb. Shadow Ball smacks most Steel-types quite hard and you're better off Will-o-Wisping Kangaskhan as most of the time it's going to try and Sucker Punch you. Focus Blast can and will miss at the worst possible time, trust me T.T
Yeaa I agree. Not a fan of 70 accuracy. Maybe Dazzling Gleam instead, but he still gets walled in that case. Ill figure something out

I know the Triples CCAT is on life support but I've enjoyed it. Is there chance of either pushing on with it or making a new one, maybe Doubles or Rotation?

I know the imminent maintenance makes it unfeasible really soon but maybe it's an ORAS project?

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
I know the Triples CCAT is on life support but I've enjoyed it. Is there chance of either pushing on with it or making a new one, maybe Doubles or Rotation?

I know the imminent maintenance makes it unfeasible really soon but maybe it's an ORAS project?
I think it would be better to try building a new team for ORAS, since a few of the pokemon (the legendaries) will be difficult to get right off the bat, since they'd need to be SR'd, and I have doubts about mega venusaur's viability in a metagame with aerilate mega salamence. I like the idea of trying a new format with ORAS, especially rotations. The current CCAT team could remain an XY team.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Is it worth using Life Orb Gengar without Focus Blast? One of the more unreliable moves in the game
Focus Blast is only for Tyranitar, if it's not that big of a deal for you then you can get by without it.

RE: CCAT: I would definitely support and do my best to have heavy involvement in another CCAT once ORAS releases. As mentioned, there's a bit of a hiatus because it's almost the end of a season and new games release in just two weeks. I'm glad you're enjoying it a0161613 :)

Does anyone know why my singles rank has suddenly stopped appearing on the PGL? In-game I still have my ladder points but on my site profile it's just blank as if I've never played a game, leaderboards don't show anything either, and it still shows my rating for the other formats. My profile also shows my recent singles matches I've played since then, so it's obviously registering that I'm playing. The only thing I can think of is I had some disconnecting problems the other day, but since that gives you a loss, they don't have a punishment system in place for that right?

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Does anyone know why my singles rank has suddenly stopped appearing on the PGL? In-game I still have my ladder points but on my site profile it's just blank as if I've never played a game, leaderboards don't show anything either, and it still shows my rating for the other formats. My profile also shows my recent singles matches I've played since then, so it's obviously registering that I'm playing. The only thing I can think of is I had some disconnecting problems the other day, but since that gives you a loss, they don't have a punishment system in place for that right?
The PGL is down for maintenance until the release of OR/AS. That's the only explanation I can think of, technically the season ends tonight but it could have stopped early? I don't think D/Cing should give you those problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)