ORAS OU BBRRRRRDDSPAM (Pseudo Bird Spam ft. Mega Glalie)

BBRRRRRDDSPAM (Pseudo Bird Spam ft. Mega Glalie)

I wanted to build a team in OU around the ever forgotten Mega Glalie (to those not trying to deal with it in RU). It's a potent wallbreaker that people will not be prepared for, the high power STAB moves that it dishes out leave teams scarred and ready to be swept up by potent OU threats such as Azumarill, Talonflame, and Latios.
Teambuilding Process
I started the team based around that concept, Mega Glalie will break down common walls, such as Heatran, Rotom-Wash, and Garchomp. And then come in with sweepers to clean up the game.

The first Pokemon that came to mind that would love to be rid of Heatran is none other than Latios, Life Orb Draco Meteor from this monster does so much damage and it gives me a way of hazard removal which Mega Glalie loves.

After dealing with the hazard removal, I needed hazard setting, and also a bird check in Landorus-Therian. A solid pivot with the combination of U-Turn and Intimidate, access to Stealth Rocks, and an incredible Base Attack Stat.

Now that I had my support options in Defog and a Pivot, I needed my sweepers that I meant this team to built around supporting. What loves Rotom-Wash being removed?
Azumarill, it's insane Attack Stat coupled with Belly Drum and STAB Priority attacks turns this little bunny into a terrifying late game sweeper.

At this point I took a step back to look at what I had and what would give me problems, one thing that came to mind was Mega Venusaur; Latios being unable to OHKO it with Psyshock and Azumarill being completely walled by it. The other thing was steel types, so at this point I added a Magnezone and played around the idea of Magneton for some extra speed, but that wasn't sitting well with me so I took it off the team and thought again.

To help immensely with my Mega Venusaur weakness and a weakness I had just realized to the Lati twins, I added Smogon Bird, Talonflame, to my growing team. At first it was a Sharp Beak offensive set but then I thought about possibly using a SpDef Bulk Up Talonflame that I had been told was really good in this Meta. It provided me with not only a way to beat Mega Venusaur, but a switch in to A LOT of special attacks, as well as being able to set up on the likes of Bisharp which my team did not enjoy going up against.

Going back to my way of dealing with Steel types, I bounced around a few ideas with my friends about what I could add instead of Magneton because that's what I had been testing the team with. Finally I came up with what I thought to be the best solution to all of my teams problems, Thundurus-Therian, with a defensive/offensive spread this can be my switch in to Mega Scizor/regular Scizor. Taking pitiful damage from bullet punch and not much more from a bug bite. After realizing this I did some calcs to realize that Talonflame cannot 2hko with a (Banded/+1) Brave Bird, outspeeding it and nuking it with a Thunderbolt. The unpredictability of a Thundurus-Therian proves its worth as people will expect something much different and then not deal much damage with their physical attackers.

The Team

Glalie-Mega @ Glalitite
Ability: Inner Focus
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Shard
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry

Mega Glalie is a wallbreaker that OU doesn't expect, Double-Edge being the go-to move that does massive damage to the unexpecting victim. Boasting an insane 156 base power with a STAB Boost, Double-Edge destroys anything thats not resistant. Ice shard is a beautiful form of priority that allows this team to not be afraid of speed boosting Pokemon. Earthquake allows Mega Glalie to dismantle Heatran and other Ground weak Pokemon. And Freeze Dry to level out the coverage allows super-effective damage against bulky water Pokemon that otherwise Glalie would hate, such as Rotom-Wash. MAX Speed is necessary for this Base 100 Pokemon to at least Speed Tie with others of the same level, 16 SpA allows an OHKO on Gastrodon with Freeze Dry and other 4x weak Water/Ground types, with the rest dumped into Attack for maximum damage output. Inner Focus allows Glalie before Mega-evolving to take a Fake Out and still hit the opponent for some damage opposed to sitting there useless for a turn.
The combination of high power Ice, and ground coverage makes Mega Glalie a wonderful wallbreaker in the OU tier.

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Latios is the glue that OU teams need. Draco Meteor from this lovely dragon is going to hurt like a banshee and is just a staple for the Lati twins, coupled with its alternate STAB in Psyshock to hit on the defensive side of the spectrum. HP Fire allows Latios to hit the ever present 4x fire weak Pokemon such as Scizor and Ferrothorn. Defog is just a must have when I have so many floating Pokemon on my side. MAX SpA and Spe allow Latios to hit as hard and fast as possible, while HP Fire makes it so that it cannot hit that 350 speed barrier that it loves to be at, max speed investment with a Timid Nature gives Latios the opportunity to at least speed tie with other HP Fire base 110s. 29 HP IVs gives Latios a good Life Orb HP so that it doesn't take as much from recoil as well as less from coming in on Stealth Rocks.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 4 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

.standard Defensive Landorus. STAB Earthquake with the beautiful EdgeQuake combo gives Landorus the ability to fight back while being a defensive Pokemon. U-Turn gives me the opportunity to bring in one fof my sweepers at an ideal time, or just general momentum. Stealth Rocks as a standard must have in the OU Tier. 16 Spe allows me to speed creep many Pokemon that try to speed creep a defensive Landorus, while the defensive EVs are standard and the last dumped into SpD. Leftovers gives the longevity a Defensive Pokemon needs as Landorus does not have an reliable way of recovering its HP back.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

.standard Belly Drum Azumarill. Belly Drum allows Azumarill to boost its Attack Stat to insane levels at the cost of half of its HP, and with the Sitrus Berry, half of that is returned back. Aqua Jet gives my team another powerful STAB priority attack so I have no reason to be afraid of speed boosting Pokemon. Play Rough as Azumarill's most powerful STAB Attack , and Knock Off to round of the coverage, enabling it to Ferrothorn much harder without having to drop its Attack and Defense Stat with the likes of Superpower. The Speed EVs allow Azumarill to outspeed uninvested base 70s and below, MAX Attack for the most out of the beautiful Huge Power ability, and the rest dumped in HP while giving it an even number so that after a Belly Drum the Sitrus Berry will instantly pop.

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 212 SpD / 48 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Acrobatics

The Beautiful Bird that is Talonflame, a dominating threat in the OU Metagame since its arrival, has found a new way to be the best it ever was. Specially Defensive with Bulk Up, allowing it to set up on many special attackers, boosting its Attack Stat to insane levels, as well as its Defense. Will-O-Wisp enables Talonflame to set up on multiple physical attackers as well. Boosting defenses and having a special defense stat is great and all, but Talonflame has reliable recovery in Roost, which just allows +6 Attack and Defense against many teams easily. No item and Acrobatics allows Talonflame to set up on those who rely on Knock Off as their main way of damaging Talonflame, such as Bisharp, and hit back with no recoil damage that Brave Bird would require. Fully HP invested and lots of Specially Defensive investment with a Careful Nature as stated before makes Talonflame take many Special hits, and the speed EVs speed creep Base 100s so that Talonflame can get a Bulk Up or a Will-O-Wisp off before they can make their move.

Thundurus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 208 HP / 44 Def / 120 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- U-turn
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Thundurus-Therian, my ace in the hole. The Pokemon EVERYONE in the comments will have something to say about. A massive SpA stat and a great scarfing Speed Tier turn Thundurus into a threat and a half in the late game. U-Turn gives my team a Volt-Turn Core to turn the battle in my favour, while not being absorbed by bulky ground types that love to come in on it, also alluding to the fact that I could be a Physical Thundurus. Thunderbolt is the most powerful, reliable STAB attack. Focus Blast allows for a huge hit onto Steel types or incoming Tyranitars. HP Ice to complete the Bolt-Beam coverage and hits dragons / grass types coming in. 204 HP and 44 Def allows Thundurus to take only about a quarter from an offensive Mega Scizor's Bullet Punch as well as Life Orb Breloom's Mach Punch, a +1 Offensive Talonflame cannot 2hko. 136 Spe EVs gives Thundurus the ability to outspeed max speed Mega Lopunny and Mega Manectric, and the rest is dumped into SpA with a Modest Nature for maximum damage output.

Conclusion

This team trumps Priority Attacks, with Thundurus' ability to take most forms of priority and three other Pokemon having their own form of it, grants the ability of "being faster" like Priority Attacks should.

Shoutouts to the guys apart of the Showdown Championship League who helped me perfect this team to my likings

Please do not tell me to use Thundurus-Incarnate instead of Therian, this is preferred as I do not want to rely on the Thunder Wave that Incarnate spams.

Replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-300218386
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-299847006

Threatlist
Weavile - bar Talonflame or if it's at a low range of HP, and Mega Glalie if it lacks Low Kick, the team struggles with taking down Weavile.
Mega Swampert in the Rain - requires Azumarill or Thundurus to be at near max HP to get a Play Rough into forms of Priority on the team, or big damage with Focus Blast.
Scarf Kyurem-Black - Nothing on the team can take a hit from it, can be worked around if it locks itself into a favourable move for Talonflame to come in and get some boosts.

Last edited:
Hey xexus101, really cool team you've built there that utilizes underrated mons seldom seen in the metagame. I do have a few suggestions for your team that I feel would optimize its potential however.

1. Defensive Lando-T typically don't want to outspeed opposing Lando-T but rather underspeed them in order to get off a slow u-turn and obtain switch advantage when both opt for u-turn on the same turn. For this reason i'm suggesting you run 30 IVS in speed

2. On Latios, i'm suggesting you run 252 spe ivs to speed tie with opposing HP fire Latios/Latias that are actually becoming increasingly more common in the meta.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

Last edited:
Hey xexus101 nice team , there is not much to say , but I still see that you are quite weak to Mega Swampert , Swampert in rain can 6-0 you after some chip damage. So I think Grass Knot > Hidden Power Fire , your Thundurus-therian can revenge kill Mega Swampert , it can out speed MegaPert in rain , or at least can take two Ice Punches.
I also agree with Dark G about changing spread on Latios and Landorus-therian.
Thundurus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 208 HP / 44 Def / 120 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- U-turn
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Wave
- Grass Knot

Hope I helped :]

char freeze dry on glalie is times x4 effective damage to mega swampert
As we know Glalie's base speed is only 100 , so Mega Swampert can deal with it in rain using low kick pretty easily , Goalie can only deal with it on the switch in of mega pert which is a bad play anyway , Mega Goalie also can't revenge kill Megapert in rain , as Megapert is faster.

252+ Atk Mega Swampert Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Glalie: 384-454 (127.5 - 150.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Glalie: 240-283 (79.7 - 94%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Glalie in Rain: 289-342 (96 - 113.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Glalie: 384-454 (127.5 - 150.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

These calcs proved that Glalie can't deal with Megapert in rain , also frezze dry is good and it checks mega pert in non rain teams , but rain teams are threating with megapert is what I meant.

Last edited:
Well built team but I've got a suggestion. My first would be to run a simple 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe Spread on Thundurus-T. The spread you have is very unorthodox and unnecessary in what you want it to do as Thundurus-T works as a revenge killer when using a Scarf not something you send out to soak something up. Also run Focus Blast > Hidden Power Fire and Volt Switch > U-Turn. There's no reason to run Hidden Power Fire as Focus Blast hits Ferrothron just as hard and Thunderbolt already hits Scizor hard as it is. Volt Switch is leagues better than U-Turn as it does actual damage to what your escaping from. If Ground-types bother you run Hidden Power Ice > Sludge Wave as you're really not doing a favor towards your team by running Sludge Wave as what it hits is already dealt with by other teammates and to get rid of other Landorus-T and Garchomp. To help with the Kyurem-B problem a Timid Nature could be ran to hit it with Focus Blast before it can hit you.
I agree somewhat with this - but, unfortunately his only real check to SD talon is defensive lando - who will have enough trouble as is gluing the team together. Offensive THundo-T also cannot revenge kill +2 Sharp beak talon if rocks are up:

+2 252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Thundurus-T: 230-271 (76.9 - 90.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

And while I agree his set is very weird and the moves definitely need to be changed - the ev's should be fine as he revenges either way and lives +2 after rocks with that current spread:

+2 252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 208 HP / 44 Def Thundurus-T: 216-255 (61.7 - 72.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

But yeah, Xexus - definitely change the move set as Kidmagic mentions - but I feel like the EV spread works for this team.

Also Charilax makes a good point with Grass knot Thundo-T. Maybe something like:
Thunderbolt
HP-ICE
Grass Knot/Focus blast
Volt switch

I don't think he wants to - it's necessary. Relying on Stone edge to kho talonflame is always fun - he needs a secondary check. :/

But that spread seems a lot better than the current one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)