Metagame BDSP Doubles OU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
[if you want to make art for this, hit me up]

This thread is dedicated to information and discussion about the Doubles OU variant played on Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl.​

Play Restrictions
  • Endless Battle Clause: Players cannot use any moveset on any Pokémon capable of intentionally causing an endless battle. Thus:
    • A Pokémon may not carry Recycle and hold a Leppa Berry in conjunction with Heal Pulse and Milk Drink, Moonlight, Morning Sun, Recover, Roost, Slack Off, Soft-Boiled, or Wish.
    • A Pokémon may not hold a Leppa Berry while carrying Recycle and Pain Split.
    • A Pokémon may not hold a Leppa Berry while carrying Recycle and Fling.
  • Evasion Clause: Players cannot use the moves Double Team or Minimize.
  • OHKO Clause: Players cannot use the moves Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, or Sheer Cold.
  • Species Clause: Players cannot have two Pokémon with the same Pokédex number on the same team.
  • Gravity Sleep Clause: Sleep moves with below one hundred percent accuracy may not be used in conjunction with Gravity.

Teambuilding Restrictions
Players may not use the following Pokemon:
  • Mewtwo
  • Lugia
  • Ho-oh
  • Groudon
  • Kyogre
  • Rayquaza
  • Dialga
  • Palkia
  • Giratina-Altered
  • Giratina-Origin
  • Arceus
  • Alolan and Galarian formes of legal Pokemon
  • Pokemon with a national Pokedex number of 494 or higher
Players may not use the following moves:
  • Dark Void

Last edited:
Here I am shilling in another thread! I put my initial thoughts on the metagame and basically anything I consider slightly viable here in a 4 hour long thrill ride epoch.
also, I missed murkrow (i was going by BST...) who is probably decent? Fastest tailwind/twave/quash/taunt are all good things. No eviolite but this is still probably bottom tier viable.

Also, here are a couple of teams i have really been enjoying + action replays. The teams have slight improvements over what you see in the games.
https://pokepast.es/0933e8746f160f10
:latias: :heatran: :hitmontop: :rotom-wash: :cresselia::tyranitar:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8bdspdoublesou-1456893361
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8bdspdoublesou-1457341702-bc1m83fxl31gxd2i5hldnqc5qmzywskpw

https://pokepast.es/aa119efd98d84795
:garchomp: :cresselia: :togekiss: :breloom: :arcanine: :rotom-wash:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8bdspdoublesou-1458022297
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8bdspdoublesou-1458024561

Last edited:

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I've been having a lot of fun with this meta and have made a preliminary list of mons I think are viable, roughly sorted into 4 categoires (Great, Good, Okay, Haven't Seen).

Great
:garchomp: Garchomp

:manaphy: Manaphy

:togekiss: Togekiss

:cresselia: Cresselia

:latios: Latios

:suicune: Suicune

Good
:arcanine: Arcanine

:azumarill: Azumarill

:breloom: Breloom

:hitmontop: Hitmontop

:latias: Latias

:kingdra: Kingdra

:mew: Mew

:rotom-wash: Rotom-Wash

:rotom-heat: Rotom-Heat

Okay
:blastoise: Blastoise

:charizard: Charizard

:clefable: Clefable

:crobat: Crobat

:empoleon: Empoleon

:gardevoir: Gardevoir

:gastrodon: Gastrodon

:gengar: Gengar

:gliscor: Gliscor

:heatran: Heatran

:infernape: Infernape

:jirachi: Jirachi

:ludicolo: Ludicolo

:moltres: Moltres

:nidoking: Nidoking

:ninetales: Ninetales

:raikou: Raikou

:zapdos: Zapdos

:rhyperior: Rhyperior

:salamence: Salamence

:sableye: Sableye

:scizor: Scizor

:swampert: Swampert

:tyranitar: Tyranitar

:weavile: Weavile

Haven't Seen (but are probably usable)
:alakazam: Alakazam

:blaziken: Blaziken

:butterfree: Butterfree

:cloyster: Cloyster

:cradily: Cradily

:dragonite: Dragonite

:drapion: Drapion

:dugtrio: Dugtrio

:entei: Entei

:exeggutor: Exeggutor

:feraligatr: Feraligatr

:flygon: Flygon

:gorebyss: Gorebyss

:granbull: Granbull

:gyarados: Gyarados

:heracross: Heracross

:jynx: Jynx

:magnezone: Magnezone

:metagross: Metagross

:milotic: Milotic

:omastar: Omastar

:rotom-mow: :rotom-frost: :rotom-fan: :rotom: Rotoms

:sharpedo: Sharpedo

:slowbro: :slowking: Slowbro/King

:staraptor: Staraptor

:venusaur: Venusaur

:victreebel: Victreebel?

:blissey: Blissey

:raichu: Raichu

:roserade: Roserade

:tangrowth:Tangrowth

Some of the coolest parts of this meta come from how extremely limited movepools can be, which means certain mons (Garchomp) that were formerly not super relevant are suddenly extremely good.

Some lower-viability mons I really like are

:zapdos: Zapdos. Despite its absolutely horrible offensive movepool, Zapdos has fantastic stats and a god-tier typing, with its main competition (Rotoms and Raikou) either having worse stats accross the board (Rotoms) or a dangerous Ground weakness (Raikou). Drill Peck actually works as a coverage move for hitting Breloom, which helps Zap carve a larger niche between itself and the Rotoms as it handles one of the biggest annoyances for Electrics. I don't think it's amazing, but its a big stat stick that checks Togekiss and soft checks Manaphy without being extremely vulnerable to Garchomp or Breloom.

:raikou: Raikou. Similar notes as Zapdos, except Raikou has a pretty extensive movepool that every other electric in the meta would kill for, while also checking dangerous threats in the aforementioned Togekiss/Manaphy. It's only issue is that it has a genuinely atrocious matchup into Garchomp and needs a life orb to ohko 0/0 Manaphy and Togekiss, plus its coverage moves do not hit hard at all. Snarl + Fake Out immunities are huge upsides.

:gliscor: Gliscor. The fact that nothing has Hidden Power Ice + there's no Lando to deal with means that SD Gliscor (with Facade) is surprisingly potent as an offensive threat and is notably very unexpected at the current state of the meta development. Stray Ice Beams seem very good, which limits its potential, but considering how great Garchomp is and how similar Gliscor is as an SD sweeper, I think this mon is completely workable.

Mod edit: added sprites for readability

Last edited by a moderator:
Pls gib ladder

This meta looks much more interesting than I originally thought. All the gen 5+ powercreep mons dont exist so much more stuff looks usable. Main things that look potentially too strong are sleep cuz no gogs or fini, and lack of toxic + removed powercreep makes bulky shit like cress insanely bulky. Weather looks rly strong and gimmicks look more viable. No more fakeout spam is great too, no evio removes those annoying mons p2 and chansey and theres barely any knock evio would be insane lol.

There is so much viable stuff I rly want a ladder to test things on and makes it a faster process to discover whats actually good. I think theres enough ppl that want to play.

https://pokepast.es/f8a6cc2cc335f2f3

I don't usually make forum posts but I had a lot of success with this team and want to share my thoughts regarding some of the Pokemon. I'm not usually a very competitive battler and am not good at making EV spreads / specific calculations, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Murkrow had a massive impact on every single game I played with the team. Having access to prankster + tailwind gave me massive advantage over my opponents, especially when combined with fake out and spore support from Moody Smeargle (please ban Moody) and Breloom later in the game. Murkrow is fast enough under tailwind that snarl always outsped my opponent's Pokemon. Taunt obviously could shut down support Pokemon on my opponent's side, although it was a late addition to the set over roost. Feather dance held the entire Pokemon together and I would not cut it. Feather dance allowed Murkrow to cripple many physical attackers, most notably Garchomp, Breloom, physical Arcanine, and Infernape. Unfortunately, feather dance doesn't work on Tyranitar or Weavile, which were the two main Pokemon that gave this set trouble.

When combined with Murkrow neutering the opposing threats, Smeargle was always able to spore and set up multiple moody boosts before passing them to whatever offensive threat the boosts best facilitated. Smeargle was a late addition to the team, and I just stole RelicanthPrimal's Smeargle set, but it was always able to create a threat my opponents had to play around. Between having ridiculously fast spores under tailwind to passing boosts off to Manaphy, Garchomp, or Breloom, Smeargle and Murkrow felt like such an incredible opening duo every game.

The rest of the Pokemon are pretty standard staples. Manaphy could quickly obliterate teams with a single tail glow boost under tailwind. Breloom offered heavy damage and spore under tailwind. Garchomp is just Garchomp, although I would swap out stone edge for protect. Latios was a great option to come in and kill anything giving me trouble, as Latios usually does.

I'm a little unsure on whether the items each Pokemon is holding are correct, particularly on Garchomp as lum berry didn't come up nearly as much as I thought it would, but they did work.

The main takeaway I have from this team this early on in the format is moody needs to go and Murkrow is an incredible support Pokemon that, in my opinion, more people should be considering.

Edit: I don't know how to add sprites since I don't make forum posts. If anyone could tell me I'd greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:
https://pokepast.es/f8a6cc2cc335f2f3

I don't usually make forum posts but I had a lot of success with this team and want to share my thoughts regarding some of the Pokemon. I'm not usually a very competitive battler and am not good at making EV spreads / specific calculations, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Murkrow had a massive impact on every single game I played with the team. Having access to prankster + tailwind gave me massive advantage over my opponents, especially when combined with fake out and spore support from Moody Smeargle (please ban Moody) and Breloom later in the game. Murkrow is fast enough under tailwind that snarl always outsped my opponent's Pokemon. Taunt obviously could shut down support Pokemon on my opponent's side, although it was a late addition to the set over roost. Feather dance held the entire Pokemon together and I would not cut it. Feather dance allowed Murkrow to cripple many physical attackers, most notably Garchomp, Breloom, physical Arcanine, and Infernape. Unfortunately, feather dance doesn't work on Tyranitar or Weavile, which were the two main Pokemon that gave this set trouble.

When combined with Murkrow neutering the opposing threats, Smeargle was always able to spore and set up multiple moody boosts before passing them to whatever offensive threat the boosts best facilitated. Smeargle was a late addition to the team, and I just stole RelicanthPrimal's Smeargle set, but it was always able to create a threat my opponents had to play around. Between having ridiculously fast spores under tailwind to passing boosts off to Manaphy, Garchomp, or Breloom, Smeargle and Murkrow felt like such an incredible opening duo every game.

The rest of the Pokemon are pretty standard staples. Manaphy could quickly obliterate teams with a single tail glow boost under tailwind. Breloom offered heavy damage and spore under tailwind. Garchomp is just Garchomp, although I would swap out stone edge for protect. Latios was a great option to come in and kill anything giving me trouble, as Latios usually does.

I'm a little unsure on whether the items each Pokemon is holding are correct, particularly on Garchomp as lum berry didn't come up nearly as much as I thought it would, but they did work.

The main takeaway I have from this team this early on in the format is moody needs to go and Murkrow is an incredible support Pokemon that, in my opinion, more people should be considering.

Edit: I don't know how to add sprites since I don't make forum posts. If anyone could tell me I'd greatly appreciate it.
yea smeargle dumb af lol. does specs lati hit any benches lo doesnt cuz having a second very fast tw looks more useful tbh. and prob tect on chomp if ur sd

yea smeargle dumb af lol. does specs lati hit any benches lo doesnt cuz having a second very fast tw looks more useful tbh. and prob tect on chomp if ur sd
I swapped over to protect almost as soon as I made the post lol. I've made a few changes to the team over the course of the day, so what I can say about lati now is a bit different than the role it filled in the original team. Originally, latios was just supposed to be a tactical nuke even outside of tailwind since having tailwind isnt always guaranteed and it also was a risky emergency check to a chipped togekiss with thunder if I didnt have manaphy. It also outsped all swift swimmers with tailwind up and koed them with thunder, which I found extremely valuable since Im personally pretty bad at playing against rain. Im currently trying out scizor over breloom as a better recipient for attack boosts off of baton pass and as a check to togekiss since the original team is pretty vulnerable to togekiss. The original team is just a little too vulnerable outside of tw, so latios was supposed to help with that. Something like crobat could be good tho

Gravity Sleep Clause: Sleep moves with below one hundred percent accuracy may not be used in conjunction with Gravity.

So we admit that 100% on sleep moves is Overpowered and unfun, yet we allow Spore as a legal move?
Almost half the teams that we will see will have spore Breloom or Smeargle on them unless we ban it.

On top of that the purposed ban for moody is in part due to the fact that it gives access to spore at high speed.

The problem is not Moody. Its Spore.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't get the concept. Can you give more information?
This looks to be the same as BW
In BW (and XY), it was banned in large part because of Thundurus who could take advantage of its then 90% confusion rate and 50% chance to self-attack. In SM and SS, it was banned not because of it reduced 85% confusion rate and 33% chance to self-attack but because Tapu Fini and Marshadow (whilst legal) could abuse its +2 Attack effect too well. None of Thundurus, Tapu Fini, and Marshadow are obtainable in BDSP, and we still have the reduced rates, so Swagger is highly unlikely to be broken.

Anyone working on an 2on2 OU rain team? Been thinking on Pokémon like Kingdra, scizor and latios.. Could work well with manaphy tail glow/rotom w and maybe jirachi or azelf as rain setters

Candy Corn

Banned deucer.
I've been playing this format for a bit now, and have tried out a bunch of different things. A lot of my points may be reiterated but that's okay.

First off, I'd like to list off some mons that are in no doubt very strong imo.

Cresselia :Cresselia:
This thing can get out of hand if it gets a few calm minds up as there isn't a whole lot of stuff that can easily break through it without boosts. When paired with sun, it can get buffed healing from moonlight. It isn't straight up broken. It takes a while to set up and can be pressured through double targeting.

Breloom :Breloom:
Paired with tailwind this thing can be very annoying for people to deal with. It can act like a counterpart to amoongus in the sense that with the proper speed control it can just keep sleeping things. Its biggest flaws come from its lack of bulk, and lack of a super strong fighting type move. Overall though it's very strong and has to be respected when playing against.

Latios :Latios:
This is just a great mon. Is fast, can set up tailwind, and threatens so much. It doesn't straight up lose to togekiss like garchomp does. It doesn't straight up beat a lot of the bulkier mons like cresselia, but it can always threaten big chunks of damage.

Togekiss :Togekiss:
I feel that this mon is one of the more splashable mons in the format. So many things can benefit from redirection, and togekiss can tank lots of things. It has the fun ability of completely walling garchomp. It also can run a more offensive set with nasty plot, and do cool things with its coverage moves in aura sphere and flamethrower.

Hitmontop :Hitmontop:
Not sure how much use this mon is seeing, but I've found it to be pretty good. I personally would rank it higher than arcanine as an intimidator simply because I value its support options more. Fake out is pretty limited in this format, and having a bulky mon that can switch in and fake out is much appreciated. Wide guard is a busted move as well. With earthquake being a viable move, and one of the only good ground type moves again, wide guard becomes pretty strong. It also gets feint, which I feel pairs perfectly with offensive type teams. Its biggest downside is that its moves aren't as spammable as something like Arcanine's snarl. It has to be played right or it could cost you momentum.

Now I'd like to highlight some mons I feel to be pretty good and think people should explore.

Heatran :Heatran:
The sub set is actually very very strong. It can wall latios fairly well since hp ground doesn't exist. I don't see this mon enough, and I think it's because of how it no longer has eruption. While it is not as strong without eruption, I've found that it doesn't need it. Not many mons are prepared for the oldschool sub tran. Definitely give it a try.

Suicune :Suicune:
This mon is actually pretty cool as it doesn't get ohkoed by much, and can easily set tailwind with its bulk and ability to avoid flinching. I have only tried using it as a bulky tw setter, but it gets plenty of other cool moves like snarl and roar, and it could probably get away with running a cm set.

Now there are plenty of other mons worth mentioning. Rain mons are fairly strong, and weather in general is threatening. However those are the mons I've found to be pretty consistent on a number of team builds.

Candy Corn

Banned deucer.
Back to back post incoming lol

I want to put out a team I made that I've had lots of success with, and hope that a random person looking for a team to use can benefit from.

:Mew: :Suicune: :Breloom: :Heatran: :Latios: :Hitmontop:
https://pokepast.es/efcd6d60037b55ce

When building for the format, I was trying out a bunch of stuff and was having trouble building something I felt to be consistent. So I decided to start fresh with a super common core in fire, grass and water. I really liked breloom and tailwind, so breloom and suicune were what I started with. I then added a heatran because it was something that was not seeing much use on ladder and I felt that it could be good. I then added latios for secondary tailwind option, and because it could threaten chomp. Hitmontop was added because it pairs really well with the team. Intimidate makes everything bulkier, fake out is fake out. The real cool stuff comes in the form of wide guard and feint. Feint paired with breloom is fun because nothing can avoid being sleeped. Wide guard is just a broken move, and makes it harder for surf/muddy water and eq mons to work. Lastly I wanted some sort of mon that could set up and do damage. I ended up choosing a bolt beam mew.

Few things to note:

Mew
I've found this mon to have a nice defensive typing, and I picked it because bolt beam covers every mon at least neutrally. However there wasn't a whole lotta thought that went into mew besides that. A better mon for this role probably exists.

Suicune
I just used an xy spread for suicune because I was tired and didn't want to ev it for specific things. So there is probably a better ev spread to use, but this spread works so it may not be worth bothering with. Snarl is an option over protect, as it makes the cm cress matchup a bit better.

Heatran
The set I'm running doesn't outspeed breloom. I think it's not worth it to run timid as there are plenty of options available to make heatran outspeed loom, set up a sub, or just beat it with other teammates. However a case could be made for timid. Flash cannon could be ran over sub but I don't think togekiss is enough of a problem to warrant it.

When Playing This Team
Biggest things to note when playing this team. CM Cress can be an issue. However it can still be overcome with a combination of breloom and heatran. If you see a cress just make sure you position yourself to where it can't get too carried away. Hitmontop is a very good mon that offers a lot of utility, but be sure to evaluate its usefulness. It can become deadweight in certain situations. Be sure to bring it in on situations where it can thrive, but don't be afraid to switch it out and bring it in later.

Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 11.01.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 11.01.11 AM.png

Wanted to share this one, I've got rank 1 with it and have had to defend/reclaim the spot 5 or 6 times now. The team is extremely HO and if that's your playstyle or something you want to try I think you'll have a lot of fun with the team. There are a few match ups you don't want to see but between BD azu, double spore, and double fake out you have the tools to overcome most opps. The topic of the day seems to be whether or not to ban smeargle. TBH it did manage to grab a couple of BS wins but I was less impressed with it than I thought I would be. Very Very strong but now I am not 100% ban... would like to hear some more opinions on this.

:Azumarill: :Breloom: :Heatran: :Murkrow: :Smeargle: :Weavile:
https://pokepast.es/4d6fa136238bac1c
(If we're doing sample teams I guess I'll submit this one for consideration!)

And of course ive made a video going over the team if you want to check that out!

Couple of replays here
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8bdspdoublesou-1466299056-xsks9h6i1030o15udk0wklblyeighmppw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8bdspdoublesou-1465240608-145vhqf46pf0d3em8qr1zv82qckeqyvpw

The doubles metagame is heating up! 4v4 doubles is quite interesting at this point and I have a few takes

ani_bw_130_f.gif

Gyarados is an interesting Pokemon that has found a nice niche as not only an intimidate user, but also a snowballing dragon dance sweeper. Not only that, Gyarados learns useful support moves like thunder wave and taunt, and it's electric weakness is negatable with lightning rod and follow me support. Definitely a viable mon that can fit on many a team

ani_bw_445_m.gif

Garchomp is another threat in the current meta with it's powerful attacks and excellent spread moves in earthquake and rock slide, as well as good natural bulk and an excellent offensive typing. This thing threatens a lot and can do a lot of work, just look out for ice moves and burns.

ani_bw_237.gif

This is our new Incinaroar overlord. Fake out, intimidate y'know, the works. But Hitmontop has a few other tricks up it's sleeve. Wide guard helps immensely against spread moves such as Garchomp's earthquake and Kingdra's muddy water. Feint crushes protect and allows it's teammates' offense to shine, and STAB close combat is effective in keeping the momentum in your favor. This is meta defining right here and I believe most teams are going to be running top for intimidate support.

ani_bw_230.gif
ani_bw_186_m.gif
ani_bw_272_f.gif

rain is very good in this meta due to politoed's excellent support and longevity as well as Kingdra's sheer power and ludicolo's mixture of offense and support with fake out and swift swim. Not much else to say about it, rain is rain as per usual.

ani_bw_488.gif

Cress is stupid hard to kill, and with it's plethora of supporting moves it is the ideal support Pokemon. Levitate allows it to hover above it's teammate's earthquakes, and it's pure psychic type weaknesses are easy enough to cover. It can also dish out damage with it's STAB psychic and ice beam, or with a more niche option like shadow ball. It is an excellent trick room setter and enables many powerful Pokemon like Rhyperior, Crawdaunt, and Rampardos. Overall very good mon.

ani_bw_059.gif

Yet another intimidater, Arcanine is quite a good Pokemon, and should not be underestimated. Snarl+intimidate make for a offense killing dynamic duo capable of lowering attacking stats to nothing in a few turns. Flare blitz/heat wave are good STAB options and close combat is good for coverage. Extreme speed is helpful for taking out weak targets, and will-o-wisp is helpful for crippling physical attackers even more.

ani_bw_479-wash.gif

Everyone's favorite washing machine is as good as ever, it's phenomenal typing and ability combo as well as the lack of good grass types come together to allow Rotom-Wash to shine. So far it's been mostly delegated as a scarfer, providing fast pivots and powerful fast hydro pumps, as well as trick to cripple walls like cress. It's also funnily enough pretty great against rain, hitting hard with it's electric STAB and slapping Raichu with a fat hydro pump.

ani_bw_026_f.gif

Finally we have Raichu, the funny little electric rat. Lightning rod is excellent for supporting water types like Gyarados and Politoed, and fake out and nuzzle support are like cherries on top. Fast volt switch allows Raichu to get in and out safely, and that's about all that Raichu does.

I'll probably post again later but the metagame is still changing. Don't forget to play doubles and singles!

Paraplegic

relax...
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
:ss/smeargle:
After asking around to some dou community members who have been noted to be playing the tier, Yoda2798 and I are deciding to ban smeargle from bdsp dou. The combined package of moody, baton pass, and spore is being noted as incredibly difficult to handle and adding a very undesirable element of luck thats hard to combat. We're moving forward with this ban for the sake of the kickoff tournament so as to preserve the competitive integrity of the tour and with the unanimous support we received from players asked about their opinion on the mon, it feels safe to say this shouldn't be a controversial decision and we're excited to see how the format develops now that teams won't have to deal with the painting dog thing that learns every move.

tagging Kris to ban smeargle from bdsp dou, please and thank you!

So I adapted my favorite old Gen 5 doubles team and 14 games in, I’m currently undefeated. I’d post it but I plan on using it in the tournament.

All the old strats are still good: Fake Out, Protect, Follow Me, Spore, Intimidate, Weather, spread moves. These are your bread and butter folks.

Protip, Inner Focus Taunt Crobat is a great lead. It’s naturally fast, can’t be flinched with Fake Out, can set Tailwind, and it derails a lot of cheesey strats with Taunt.

Last edited:
Inner focus and other intimidate immunity abilities are kind of huge right now. I've been experimenting with competitive milotic, and even though it is kind of passive, it often gets up to +6 during any given game just by protecting and scalding. It's worth some exploration I think, with the huge deal intimidate seems to be.

I've been playing a few matches with Candy Corn 's team, and have really enjoyed it.
Mostly I've lead with :Suicune: and :Breloom: and have had good success. Suicune tailwinds and breloom either protects to get the speed boost, or spore if it is fast enough. With good predictions that can carry you pretty far.
:Latios: is obviously a big threat, and I have had success getting rid of the things that prevent Latios from running away with the rest of the match.

I like :Hitmontop: and intimidate, but haven't found myself in too many situations where I would need wide guard to protect my other pokemon. Could be not enough matches, but it was almost never out at the same time as :Heatran: .

Inner focus and other intimidate immunity abilities are kind of huge right now. I've been experimenting with competitive milotic, and even though it is kind of passive, it often gets up to +6 during any given game just by protecting and scalding. It's worth some exploration I think, with the huge deal intimidate seems to be.
I agree. Inner Focus has been clutch in a number of matches that I've watched. And there has been intimidate in 90% of the matches I've watched/participated in. :Arcanine: is pretty popular, this set runs hitmontop, and I could see :Salamence: get some work in.

Because of my success with Latios, I like :mew: in here, but I feel like something is missing. I'm not good enough to know what it is, but I have considered running :Espeon: for magic bounce to help with hazards. I lose out on +2 boltbeam coverage, and that's scary enough that I haven't committed to trying out Espeon.

I feel like this a very good team, and didn't run into anything that I thought couldn't be beaten by outplaying my opponent.
Which isn't that often. But is doable haha.

Back again once again to address a pretty obnoxious issue I think a few people have caught on to. I am of course referring to Sand Veil. I was able to peak the ladder fast with a team that I would not consider good, and which is only successful because it stacks Sand Veil.
Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 7.03.37 PM.png

:Cacturne::Garchomp::Hippowdon::Tyranitar::Scizor::Zapdos:
https://pokepast.es/d7bf4330b3b1da0c

Cacturne also has Brightpowder and I was able to make a number of people rage. Sand Veil is so silly that the team is unviable without it. The trick room match up is especially whack, but because Cacturne can be counted on for a reliable dodge or two in the early game, we go from unusable to rank 1.

Here's a video on the team which goes into a little more depth on how to play it and why Zapdos has Hyper Beam

Last edited:
There are so many cool ways to play this game. Defensive Gyarados is dope af with TWave and Intimidate, Garchomp is based, the buffs to things like Inner Focus are appreciated, there's not a billion Fairy type situations to worry about. All sorts of niche Pokemon have a shot rn. I love this doubles meta and playing on ladder has been a blast

Try out Sableye, Arcanine, Rotom-W, Volbeat/Illumise, Murkrow, Scarf Gard, maybe even Jirachi. God bless BDSP today, fellas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)