BDSP [BDSP OU] Sandstorm Team

Hello, everyone! Recently, I've noticed sandstorm teams are not very popular in this tier (and for good reasons too, I might add. Since Excadrill is not available anymore and there are no other good Pokémon that can take advantage of the sandstorm to land good hits, people just give up on making them), so I decided to give it a try and make one.

Here's what I got so far:

Sandy (Hippowdon) (F) @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Yawn
- Slack Off​

Of course, you just can not make a sandstorm team and not add Hippowdon to the team. This big guy basically does what any standard Hippowdon would normally do: set up sandstorm, rocks and take physical hits. I also run it with yawn, just in case the opponent wants to try something funny and set up in front of it.

Seb (Scizor) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 Def
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch​

Scizor is obviously there to keep Mamoswine in check, as a Life Orb mamo literally leaves this team in shambles. I've been debating whether to make this mon a fully defensive wall or leave the EVs as they are, since a banded Garchomp or Dragonite does a lot of damage to this team too, and Hippowdon is simply not a safe switch in these cases.

Say cheese (Rotom-Wash) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Trick
- Nasty Plot​

You don't understand how much I love this type of rotom. There's just something so satisfying in watching it trick Clefables or Blisseys and make them basically useless. This mon is perfect against stall users and, surprisingly, also breloom (a very big threat to this team) cause a lot of people prefer to go for spore instead of switching (probably hoping for a predict), so I can just use trick and make it less threatening. I also run it with nasty plot, so after I lock a defensive wall on a move, I can set up and start doing some serious damage.

Bestiana Grande (Gastrodon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Clear Smog​

I honestly have no idea why Gastrodon is not used more in BDSP OU, it's incredibly good and walls a lot of Pokémon that are very popular right now. Its main function in this team is stopping special sweepers from doing serious damage or set upping, and so far I have no complaints. It does a very great job.

Try Again! (Garchomp) (F) @ Bright Powder
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fire Blast
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge​

Alright, here I took the liberty of becoming a teeny tiny bit more trollish, but it's honestly so fun to see 100% accuracy moves miss and completely change the course of the match. Of course, it doesn't always work, but the laughs I get from when it does are worth it. But anyway, leaving the gimmicky part aside, this is basically your regular sweeper Garchomp.

Oversized Plushie (Tyranitar) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Focus Punch
- Ice Fang​

This big boi is the wallbreaker of the team, it helps deal with pokemon that would normally take years to take down with just Garchomp. Plus, a second pokemon that can set up the sandstorm is nice.

Conclusion:
I've found this team to be decent so far, and I even got to 1560+ pts with it too. However, it is very clear it struggles a lot at dealing with setuppers like breloom or manaphy (especially manaphy lol), and the only way you can win against them is playing your cards right with rotom. Feel free to change anything that you might think could help to take care of them as long as the general idea of the team stays the same. Thank you! <3

Pokepaste:
https://pokepast.es/a5098556da643c8f

Last edited:

adem

her
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi Sandiana , unfortunately a full Sand team is unviable in BDSP, however i did like the idea of cheesing through teams with Bright Powder Sand Veil Garchomp + Tyranitar, however I think this core works best on a Hyper Offense team to help support it.

:hippowdon: :scizor: :garchomp: :rotom-wash: :tyranitar: :gastrodon:

The main issue with the current team is that Hippo and Gastro are far too slow and passive for this type of teamstyle, and just redundant with Tyranitar, so I removed them both. Rotom-Wash also didnt really help with the bad stall matchup and didnt do much overall that another water wouldnt, so I removed that too.

:hippowdon: > :latias:

Latias (F) @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Healing Wish
- Ice Beam

Latias gives you a solid suicide lead with Dual Screens, and you can even preserve its Healing Wish to give your sweepers a second life. Ice Beam gives you a way to revemge Garchomp and the other Dragons / Grounds. This pushes the team in a much more offensive, HO oriented direction. You dont really need the damage and you want the bulk to screen vs stuff like Crawdaunt, so HP invest is much better.

:gastrodon: > :azumarill:

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall

Azumarill further makes the team more HO based, and gives a much more offensive Water type. Azu also appreciates the Screens Latias provides, and also soft checks stuff like Crawdaunt. Drum Azu also cleans up weakened teams after your team breaks through them. The moves are fairly normal, you can try Superpower > Waterfall to nail stuff like Magnezone on the switch, but i think this set is fine as Waterfall also has a Flimch chance that can help you hax through Unaware Clefable.

:rotom-wash: > :rotom-mow:

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Nasty Plot

TrickPlot is IMO better done by Rotom Mow since it greatly improves your stall matchup and also revenges Manaphy much better than Washtom, which is currently a big issue for your team.

:scizor:

seb (Scizor) (F) @ Leftovers > Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 Def > 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Roost > Brick Break
- Defog > Swords Dance
- U-turn > Quick Attack
- Bullet Punch

I made this set the standard HO set, and the given EVs let you outspeed Adamant Crawdaunt, with the rest in bulk to help with Latios. Double Priority is extremely useful due to how many Steel resists are in this tier, and Brick Break helps with stuff like Heatran and Magnezone.

:garchomp:

try again! (Garchomp) (F) @ Bright Powder
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe > 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature > Naive Nature

- Fire Blast
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge > Outrage

You dont want a minimum SpA for Fire Blast Garchomps to do enough damage to Skarmory, so i changed the EV’s and Nature to reflect this. I personally value Outrage > Stone Edge as a coverage option, as it hits much much harder to neutral targets and I dont see much Togekiss. You also have Tyranitar to deal with Kiss, so that isnt really a problem.

:tyranitar:

oversized plushie (Tyranitar) @ Choice Band > Shuca Berry / Muscle Band / Passho Berry / Chople Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD > 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake > Crunch
- Focus Punch > Ice Fang
- Ice Fang > Dragon Dance

DD Tar is a extremely potent and underrated threat option in BDSP, and personally I like Edge / Crunch / Fang personally, you can try like Earthquake, Fire Fang, and Brick Break as well. The item choice is also preference, Shuca helps you vs stuff like Gliscor and Garchomp so you get an extra DD up, Muscle Band gives you much needed extra power, Passho and Chople help you absorb hits from stuff like Manaphy and Alakazam respectively.

This is the finished team, I really hope you like it as it has worked quite well in tests:

:latias: :tyranitar: :garchomp: :rotom-mow: :azumarill: :scizor:

Hi Sandiana , unfortunately a full Sand team is unviable in BDSP, however i did like the idea of cheesing through teams with Bright Powder Sand Veil Garchomp + Tyranitar, however I think this core works best on a Hyper Offense team to help support it.

The main issue with the current team is that Hippo and Gastro are far too slow and passive for this type of teamstyle, and just redundant with Tyranitar, so I removed them both. Rotom-Wash also didnt really help with the bad stall matchup and didnt do much overall that another water wouldnt, so I removed that too.

Latias (F) @ Light Clay
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Healing Wish
- Ice Beam

Latias gives you a solid suicide lead with Dual Screens, and you can even preserve its Healing Wish to give your sweepers a second life. Ice Beam gives you a way to revemge Garchomp and the other Dragons / Grounds. This pushes the team in a much more offensive, HO oriented direction. You dont really need the damage and you want the bulk to screen vs stuff like Crawdaunt, so HP invest is much better.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall

Azumarill further makes the team more HO based, and gives a much more offensive Water type. Azu also appreciates the Screens Latias provides, and also soft checks stuff like Crawdaunt. Drum Azu also cleans up weakened teams after your team breaks through them. The moves are fairly normal, you can try Superpower > Waterfall to nail stuff like Magnezone on the switch, but i think this set is fine as Waterfall also has a Flimch chance that can help you hax through Unaware Clefable.

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Nasty Plot

TrickPlot is IMO better done by Rotom Mow since it greatly improves your stall matchup and also revenges Manaphy much better than Washtom, which is currently a big issue for your team.

Adamant Nature
- Roost > Brick Break
- Defog > Swords Dance
- U-turn > Quick Attack
- Bullet Punch

I made this set the standard HO set, and the given EVs let you outspeed Adamant Crawdaunt, with the rest in bulk to help with Latios. Double Priority is extremely useful due to how many Steel resists are in this tier, and Brick Break helps with stuff like Heatran and Magnezone.

- Fire Blast
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge > Outrage

You dont want a minimum SpA for Fire Blast Garchomps to do enough damage to Skarmory, so i changed the EV’s and Nature to reflect this. I personally value Outrage > Stone Edge as a coverage option, as it hits much much harder to neutral targets and I dont see much Togekiss. You also have Tyranitar to deal with Kiss, so that isnt really a problem.

oversized plushie (Tyranitar) @ Choice Band > Shuca Berry / Muscle Band / Passho Berry / Chople Berry
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake > Crunch
- Focus Punch > Ice Fang

DD Tar is a extremely potent and underrated threat option in BDSP, and personally I like Edge / Crunch / Fang personally, you can try like Earthquake, Fire Fang, and Brick Break as well. The item choice is also preference, Shuca helps you vs stuff like Gliscor and Garchomp so you get an extra DD up, Muscle Band gives you much needed extra power, Passho and Chople help you absorb hits from stuff like Manaphy and Alakazam respectively.

This is the finished team, I really hope you like it as it has worked quite well in tests:

Hello there! First of all, I want to thank you for taking the time to look at my team and make the changes you considered necessary. You are completely right about Hippowdon and Gastro being too passive. In fact, I've had several difficulties with set-uppers for this exact reason (Gastro helped with the special ones, but physical set-uppers were practically unstoppable and would sweep the team). I also love how you brought a more viable option against Manaphy and stall teams in general. Really have no idea why I didn't consider adding Rotom-M to the team before, it makes so much sense lol. I noticed Breloom is still somewhat of a problem, but it's far more manageable now which is amazing. Also, I'm happy to see you kept the original idea I had for Garchomp because I really like it.
Overall, I'm happy with the changes made to the team and I will try to test it myself as soon as possible. Thank you again! <3 :psyglad:

Last edited:

Latias (F) @ Light Clay
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Healing Wish
- Ice Beam

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Nasty Plot

Adamant Nature
- Roost > Brick Break
- Defog > Swords Dance
- U-turn > Quick Attack
- Bullet Punch

- Fire Blast
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge > Outrage

Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake > Crunch
- Focus Punch > Ice Fang

Do you have any replays with this team? I've played it a few times but I'm still struggling to pull wins off with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)