Other Metagames [BH] Breakthrough (Record 18-0)

Hello smogon. Welcome to obligatory exposition umm i mean the intro to this potential breakthrough in BH hyper offense that went 18-0 over the course of its first 18 battles. While this team looks great so far, nothing's perfect, so I came to you, the smogon community, for your thoughts and opinions on this team so it can remain undefeated as long as possible, and this is also my first RMT. Onto the team, shall we?

EDIT- MUST READ: Thanks to help from the awesome PinkDragonTamer, various flaws with the team were fixed, and the new team is, based on replays, a significant improvement over the original one. There have been some big changes from the original team over the course of post-rmt battles w/ the team.

Proof of record: http://imgur.com/rsn4I8I
If you want to see an updated record go to: http://pokemonshowdown.com/users/moltenmagmafilms
and find the gen7balancedhackmons ladder.
Some changes in moves and sets were made over the course of testing to improve the team.

Teambuilding process:

I was a huge fan of ORAS BH and built tons of teams, and decided to make a Hyper Offense team for my SM BH debut. I started with Normalize Mega Gengar.

Mega Mewtwo Y is a special attacking monster that beats the ever-so-fast Crobat and Ash Greninja (non-scarf), and a Contrary set beats many would-be threats to this team, including Dark and Steel types (provided the moves hit).

I realized at this point that my team was outsped by the max speed base 150 and 145 speed tiers, and Deo-A was my answer. I decided it would be fun to wreak havoc with Z-move spam coming off of such good SpA.

I noticed the team struggled with fast Dark-types, and MMY's Fleur Cannon has a chance to miss, and we really needed a physical attacker as well as a Dark resist, so I added FakeSpeed Mega Diancie, which also works as a great wallbreaker and anti-lead.

I added Prankster Shuckle to fill a utility role w/ prankster and get rocks up, which is our way of beating Sturdy Shedinja, and spreading paralysis.

Xurkitree takes on Water-types that attempt to stop Mega Diancie, and with Speed Boost becomes an amazing sweeper that at the very least punches holes in an opponent's team if you play it right.

However, my team was hopelessly beat by the annoying comatose scarf ash greninja (you know the one with sleep talk, whirlwind, circle throw, and dragon tail), and needed a tank/spinner, and Magic Bounce Giratina fills all of that, but it sadly meant Mega Gengar had to go.

snake (Giratina) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Recover
- King's Shield
- Rapid Spin
Magic Bounce Giratina is the tank to fall back on for this team, and while it leans to the physdef side, it has some spdef ivs to take special hits well. With Magic Bounce and a Ghost typing, it stops the annoying Comatose Sleeptalk Shuffler Ash-Greninja as mentioned in the teambuilding process unless it gets lucky and gets Dragon Tail, but hey, 1/3 chance plus you have kings shield. Kings shield also beats -ate and Triage users such as Mega Rayquaza by crippling them when they attempt to Fake Out or use their damaging recovery move. Rapid spin helps out Xurkitree especially, and having hazards only on the enemy's side can turn the tide of battle.
Usage Tips: You can bring it in to stop all non-moldbreaker/teravolt/turboblaze hazard leads, and is an effective tank in general, with its only real faults in defensive capabilities being that it's another dark weak on this team and suffers from four-moveslot syndrome. Dragon Tail beats opposing MB Giratina, and you should always kings shield against a ega rayquaza/mega diancie/any threatening ice type because they likely have an -ate ability or sometimes triage in the case of megarayray, and dtail knocks them away.

Deoxys Go Home (Mewtwo-Mega-Y) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Overheat
- Psycho Boost
- Fleur Cannon
Mega Mewtwo Y acts as the glue of this team, with Overheat beating the steels that would otherwise hopelessly wall this team, and Fleur Cannon hits Dark and Dragon types such as Giratina. This set, as mentioned by the nickname, puts Contrary Deo-A to shame because it is much less frail, thus making it more efficient at sweeping and cleaning. Safety Goggles is for Spore users, which run rampant in BH, such as poisonheal and prankster mons.
Usage Tips: USe whatever move is most effective and pray it doesn't miss.

I Aint Even Mad (Deoxys-Attack) @ Leppa Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Genesis Supernova
- 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt
- Oceanic Operetta
- Stoked Sparksurfer
After Comatose SleepTalk Zmoves Deo-A failed for some reason, the awesome PinkDragonTamer said I can run LeppaBerry+Harvest and still spam Zmoves, and it works! This works far better than a Contrary set, the only problem is it can't take a hit, and if it loses speed ties its done for. Genesis Supernova summons psychic terrain which stops priority, and Stoked Sparksurfer is nice to get paralysis guaranteed, allowing this to sweep even better.
Usage Tips: Z-Spam away based on what pokemon ur facing and hope Harvest cooperates.

pixie dust (Diancie-Mega) @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Extreme Speed
- Diamond Storm
- Earthquake
Mega Diancie fills the role of a physical attacker that beats Chansey and other special walls, thus holding the team together, and with Pixilate Pixie Plate FakeSpeed, it does insane damage before getting attacked, and has access to a very powerful priority move in Extreme Speed. Diamond Storm is for Rock-type STAB that can boost its defense, and Equake is for steel types such as Solgaleo.
Usage Tips: This is a good anti-lead with FakeSpeed, and can surprise Steel-types with Equake and beats Mega Rayquaza any day.

pokerface (Shuckle) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Glare
- Foul Play
- Swagger
With an original nickname comes an original set, having equal physical and special bulk, shuckle's role is the ability to get rocks up and spread paralysis, and we got some swagplay going on here. It is a utility pokemon with Prankster and its amazing defenses, but it can get KOs with swagplay, and cripples glass cannons such as Pheromosa and Scarf Comatose Ash-Greninja.
Usage Tips: Use Shuckle to quickly get rocks up, unless you think its magic bounce (giratina, zygarde-c) and if ur still alive get some parafusion and swagplay going.

Christmas Tree (Xurkitree) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Tail Glow
- Ice Beam
- King's Shield
With Xurkitree, we have reached 2 things, the last week before Christmas(at the time of this going up) and the last member of our team. Xurkitree is an insanely hard-hitting pokemon, but an issue is it getting outsped by the fast-paced BH metagame. Give it Speed Boost + Focus Sash + Kings Shield and everything changes, you get a wincon who gets faster by itself, and has a fantastic coverage move inice beam to beat the many 4x ice weaks such as Mega RayRay (seems like my team just destroys it), common ground types such as garchomp, landorus, and zygarde-c, and Thunderbolt for a good STAB move that can get paralysis once in a while.
Usage Tips: Sash/Kings Shield + Tail Glow allows it to get a free SpA boost + Speed Boost thanks to its ability should Xurkitree be at full HP with sash, and even if it isn't at full HP, Kings Shield allows for a free speed boost regardless.. Xurkitree works as a good lead, but isn't the team's only lead option.

Importable:
snake (Giratina) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Recover
- King's Shield
- Rapid Spin

Deoxys Go Home (Mewtwo-Mega-Y) @ Safety Goggles
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Overheat
- Psycho Boost
- Fleur Cannon

pixie dust (Diancie-Mega) @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Extreme Speed
- Diamond Storm
- Earthquake

Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Glare
- Foul Play
- Swagger

Christmas Tree (Xurkitree) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Tail Glow
- Ice Beam
- King's Shield

I Aint Even Mad (Deoxys-Attack) @ Leppa Berry
Ability: Harvest
Timid Nature
- Genesis Supernova
- Oceanic Operetta
- Stoked Sparksurfer

Replays of the undefeated epicness in no particular order (old team):

A few replays with new team (more coming soon):

So that wraps up Breakthrough, the BH hyper offense team that has potential to revolutionize the meta. Thank you for taking time out of your day to read this and rate, and feel free to use the team!

Last edited:

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
Just a little note because I don't feel like writing a full rate, I don't really get what Energy Ball is doing on Xurkitree, I feel like King's Shield or Spore > Energy Ball would help out a ton here, because boltbeam is providing you with almost perfect coverage, and you need a way to set up a speed boost safely if your sash is broken. Another option would be Shell smash> Tail Glow which gives you the room to run another ability.This one is optional because you may feel like speed boost is more reliable. Running Fleur Cannon > Draco Meteor on Deoxys-A gives you more optimal coverage by giving you a way to smack Dark Types like Yveltal. Also I'm skeptical about that MMY set, but I don't really feel like thinking of an alternative, but I don't know why you aren't running Quiver Dance > Calm Mind because it's basically the same thing but better. Running Spore is fine for set up opportunities, but relying on Dream Eater as the only StAB is unreliable for PH users and Saftey Goggles users. Psystrike > Dream Eater gives you a more reliable stab without having to worry about sleep. On Diancie, iI don't really know why you aren't running boomburst, which is one of its most potent wallbreaking tools. Diamond Storm is seeming useless coverage to me, only hitting the rare Ho-Oh, so I would suggest Boomburst > Diamond Storm. The Gengar set seems niche and unreliable to
me, because you can't trap common walls that almost all run U-turn, and you get outsped and OHKO'd by common threats such as MMY and Deo-A. Lastly, you straight up lose to some Whirlwind Comatose Hazard spam teams, which are all over the ladder atm , with your only counter measure being fakespeed Diancie. There aren't any fixes I can really make that fit the play style of your team that would immediately fix this issue, but Magic Bounce Pokemon that are immune to Dragon Tail or Circle Throw can be a nice check to those teams.

Sorry if this is messy cause I wrote this on my phone, but the team looks interesting, albeit a little weak to hazards with the reliance on Focus Sash with no removal. On that note, thanks for reading, and GL!

the team looks interesting, albeit a little weak to hazards with the reliance on Focus Sash with no removal. On that note, thanks for reading, and GL!
I'm giving Shuckle defog, unfortunately it doesn't work on dark types, that should help. Is this shuckle set better?
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Foul Play
- Swagger
yeahg screw batonpass that was useless lmao

As for MMY, I decided to run a contrary set over the old set.
Darkrai Go Home (Mewtwo-Mega-Y) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Overheat
- Psycho Boost
- Fleur Cannon
I honestly don't know why I used the spore+de set lmao thanks for the help!

As for Deo A, since I already have contrary MMY, I decided to use Comatose+SleepTalk+Zmoves.
Unfortunately, sleep talk fails when I try to use it. How come?
Deoxys-Attack @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Comatose
Timid Nature
- Sleep Talk
- Genesis Supernova
- Oceanic Operetta
There's the set, if you know why sleep talk fails, then plz reply as the team is down a member until its fixed, thx!

As for Gengar, I'll try replacing it with MB Giratina

I'll update the importable once the new team is tested out a couple of times.

Thanks!

Reactions: pdt
Contrary mewtwo can be fun to use but this set right here is one of the best sets in BH right now. Psychic surge blocks priority and allows you to ohko pretty much everything bar dark types with genesis supernova. It even murders max special defense zygarde, which is nice because the only other pokemon you have that can kill it is weak to ground and can't switch in. Moongeist beam beats shedinja and secret sword is for ash greninja. psystrike still hits extremely hard when genesis supernova is used up.

Mewtwo-Mega-Y @ Life Orb
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Genesis Supernova
- Moongeist Beam
- Secret Sword
- Psystrike

Also, you mentioned that shuckle can cripple ash greninja with glare, but prankster moves will fail against dark types now so its less effective. A set that may work better is this:

Groudon-Primal @ Leftovers
Ability: Desolate Land / Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Sp Def
Careful Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Sacred Fire / Glare / Spore / Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Synthesis / Shore up

This set is a great stop to greninja, pheromosa, diancie, xurkitree and plenty other major threats. Desolate land is preferred as it powers up sacred fire and synthesis but water absorb works even if something with primordial sea switches in, so its not bad either. If you use water absorb, choose shore-up over synthesis and any of the slashes over sacred fire. This set can also take one power-trip from a shell smashed yvetal and use status against it.

Also, you mentioned that shuckle can cripple ash greninja with glare, but prankster moves will fail against dark types now so its less effective.
lmao totally forgot about that

I'm taking your suggestions for pdon and MMY into consideration, gonna do some test battles with those sets.
Peace and hope you have an awesome day!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)