NOC Bigvivor Mafia Game Thread Day 5

let's put some actual content in this thread

i want to play mafia like i'm having fun. before i had that disastrous game where i was town with eli and i just fucked up a clarinet read at lylo to lose the game and stopped playing, i had a very strict philosophy around how i communicate my reads to others.

a lot of that was built around multi-game meta. so for example, i built up literal pages of word documents on specific players (eli, m2h, dusk, josh, texas, and so on) on their meta. i hated revealing how i got reads on people because after it works one game, the player would then fix it for the next game.

i don't want to do that this game anymore, in part because i think the two year break really destroys any credibility my red flags have, also because i don't think it's incredibly sporting. so i suspect that this game i'll be a lot more transparent with my thought processes. Not when formulating a read, because telling someone how you're reading them before youv'e come to a conclusion is the most idiotic thing. But when pushing, I'll likely start giving cases. So for those who have a long NOC history with me, don't freak out when I do this

a major part of why it wasn't sporting was because it would eventually boil down to me just giving reads and expecting people to sheep them blindly. i would never give any reasons. and you'd end up in a game equilibrium where people mostly would just follow those reads and if i was town then town would win and if i were scum then they would flip a few town. and they followed those reads because of my meta.

i don't think it's in the spirit of the game and i don't necessarily think it's fun or fair to the people i play with because the metagame across different games just becomes way too important.

i also don't think that i should have that credibility anymore given how long it's been.

it's weird thinking about how to approach this game after such a long break. one, for people who i don't have written files on, i literally can't remember anything about them. i came into the thread after reading a few caff posts and just kneejerked "caff is town". well, thinking about it, what i really meant to say was "caff is caff. this is what i remember of his town game". I don't actually remember anything about the way he plays scum.

it's hard to know what level of confidence to project when giving reads now also. if, for example, i came out and said eli was scum. it's not clear if i should push that read or not given that i'm really not sure how accurate meta from two years ago is. when i was playing town, the puzzle was easier to solve because you could kind of nail down a few people and the way those people interacted with people you weren't sure about was really helpful. but without those cornerstone reads, the gamesolve becomes much harder

i guess i can share something i've been thinking about for the past hour:

firstly, i think it might be quite good for me to just openly project town. i think it's multiball (a 24 player mafia vs town seems really, really large, and game balance difficulty scales with the size of the largest mafia). so it's not a bad idea to get painted as a big nighttarget threat because you can play a game with the mafia teams where neither one wants to kill you, or both want to kill you (and you've essentially wasted a NK).

secondly, with a n=1 sample, i highly suspect that duskfall did NOT randomize roles

ithink that mafia teams are balanced, and PRs were given to players tommy thinks highly of

this is PR softclaim

which leads to the question of who in the list of the "power players" from tommy's perspective got randed scum

CaffeineBoost

6th Best Circus Poster of 2023
is a Community Contributor
i also don't think that i should have that credibility anymore given how long it's been.

it's weird thinking about how to approach this game after such a long break. one, for people who i don't have written files on, i literally can't remember anything about them. i came into the thread after reading a few caff posts and just kneejerked "caff is town". well, thinking about it, what i really meant to say was "caff is caff. this is what i remember of his town game". I don't actually remember anything about the way he plays scum.
If anyone's reading anything from me then they're making a mistake tbh, I do this shit day 1 (not thread day 1, real time day 1) of any mafia game.

Also to seriously answer your question, I was scum in PMDX, White Flag 11p, and D6

it's hard to know what level of confidence to project when giving reads now also. if, for example, i came out and said eli was scum. it's not clear if i should push that read or not given that i'm really not sure how accurate meta from two years ago is. when i was playing town, the puzzle was easier to solve because you could kind of nail down a few people and the way those people interacted with people you weren't sure about was really helpful. but without those cornerstone reads, the gamesolve becomes much harder
You probably don't care but I just wanted to say that it's okay to just be a human playing the game. I'm sensing a little bit of uncertainty on your part as to whether you can express your thoughts in any other context but one where you're very sure, but for what it's worth I prefer it when others speak their mind rather than treating NOC like an information management game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)