Bioshock 2 Review and Discussion

Steelicks

Come here and Battle me!
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

I was a huge fan of the original Bioshock game. It really stood out for me in regards to the games atmosphere and captivating storyline... Rapture truely felt like a world of its own. This was backed up by solid gameplay, with mechanics such as plasmids (which gave your character unique abilities such as unleashing a swarm of bees on your opponents), fights with the powerful Big Daddies, and a moral choice system that allowed you to access two different endings. All this together created a game I love and still replay to this day.

You can imagine how excited I was when I found out that Bioshock 2 was in the works... and that this time around, you would step into the diving suit of a Big Daddy! Now it has arrived, and it certainly does not disappoint.

The original Bioshock, while a superb game, had some gameplay mechanics that could have used fine tuning. Bioshock 2 does a great job in improving some of the previous games shortcomings. For one thing, you can now duel wield plasmids and guns at once, which allows for more flow during fights and can result in some devastating combos. Hacking machines is now less of a chore, as well as researching the enemies. All of these things are very welcome changes.

There were also some complaints that the original game was too easy... Bioshock 2 certainly is a step up in difficulty. While your Big Daddy is a much more powerful character than Jack Ryan from the first game, this time round, you may find yourself fighting 8 or more splicers at once! Crowd control (such as the use of traps) is much more important than ever, especially on the harder difficulty settings. Not only that, but at numerous points in the game, you will find yourself against a Big Sister, a terrifyingly powerful opponent.

But really, what would make or break the game for me is the storyline and atmosphere. Without it, the original Bioshock would have been a good, but not great, shooter. Fortunately Bioshock 2 wins in this regard... the storyline is just excellent, as you find out more about your origins and why you are tied to your Little Sister. Perhaps more important is the use of the moral choice system... if the first game incorporated it, this game truely embraces it. There are three unique endings to this game, and they are all worth seeing. The "good" ending has to be one of the most beautiful endings I have ever seen in a game.

Are there any negatives? Well, it isn't so much of a negative, but there are a lot of strong links to the first game. It is Rapture again, after all, and the breath-taking underwater city isn't quite so amazing the second time around. As well as that, you will fight many of the same enemies again (although the new ones you will encounter certainly throw a spanner in the works!) Still, these are just nitpicks and do not detract from the game overall.

Bioshock 2, in my eyes, is just as good as the first game. Heck, it may even be a little bit better. I would highly recommend playing through the first game before picking up this one, although it is probably not necessary. For everyone else, welcome back to Rapture!

Just spent 17 hours straight playing this. I'm only stopping because i think the haemolacria is about to set in.

Edit: And I'm done. Took about 25 hours total and I finished it in about 2 days time. Spent a good 2 hours or so on the multiplayer too.

If my spending 12 and a half hours on a game two days straight doesn't speak of its quality, then I don't know what does. I haven't played a game with this fervor since the original Bioshock.

I'm waiting for my tax return to come so I can get this game.
I love Bioshock and the more I read about 2 the more I want it.

Bought this yesterday and am engrossed in the storyline.
I really appreciate this storyline more than the firsts, im a sucker for somebody trying to be reunited with someone they love.
And i have to say, i LOVE the drill.

Finnished the game :) The ending was AWESOME.
I liked Bioshock 2 more than 1. More action and a better storyline, thought the first one was creepier than the second.

Can't get into it as much; it takes the original and makes bland, superficial improvements. Combat is better but the recordings are not nearly as interesting, not the characters. Where are the fontaines, the ryans, the cohens (I think thats what his name was... crazy sculpture dude).

lamb is soooo blah in comparison. Still isn't bad and exploration is pretty cool; I miss the old hacking game though! Im at Dionysius Park so maybe Ill change my mind... oh and the introduction was fantastic! I have a feeling that I can guess he plot twists already... that guy who is "helping me out" (dont remember his name) will revealed to be a sketchbag (the recordings already show him to take advantage of people).

edit: sinclair... yeah he's the sketch one

only complaint with this game has to be the lack of frequency in autosaves. the game froze on two different occasions as soon as I was about to get on the train to move on, meaning I had to play the entire section again. Otherwise, incredible. On a par with the first, maybe not quite as good.

Coming from a die-hard competitve FPS player, this game is amazing. I'm not too interested in the Campaign, although it was really fun and a had a sweet storyline.

The Multiplayer to me is actually amazing, it has a huge skill gap and a bunch of different game modes along with a variety of plasmids and weapons. You can form any combination that has it's own advantages/disadvantages.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I already talked about this on IRC with zerowing and Steelicks but oh my god there are some moments in this game that are almost on the level of WYK in the first game. One in particular stood out and I don't want to ruin it, so I'll put it in HIDE tags:

The final Big Daddy you kill is where it happened. After killing him and taking his Little Sister, I looted his body as always and saw an audio track. I listened to it and it was the final moments of Mark Mezter's life. The Mark Mezter you've been hearing since the beginning of the game looking for his daughter who had been kidnapped and taken to Rapture. It is of him being turned into a Big Daddy so he can always be with his daughter. I hover my cursor over the corpse of the body and it says Mark Mezter instead of "Bouncer" or "Launcher". I had just killed Mark Mezter and taken his child away from him. I froze after that and just stared at my screen for a few seconds to take in what I'd just done =(

The other high point is also something I don't want to spoil as it's amazing when it happens and needs to stay a surprise:

When you become a Little Sister and see through her eyes. Rapture is still alive. The splicers still resemble humans and it's colourful. The pinnacle of Rapture's civilization. Then you go by a Splicer in a cell and the entire world becomes dark like the true Rapture. You get away and it's all right again. Then you go to the "Angels" who have actual wings of rose petals and as you draw the Adam, you see the terrifying Rapture again. Incredibly powerful

Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Oh so worth it.

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I already talked about this on IRC with zerowing and Steelicks but oh my god there are some moments in this game that are almost on the level of WYK in the first game. One in particular stood out and I don't want to ruin it, so I'll put it in HIDE tags:
These were both late game, and a lot of the pieces that all came together were late game. I really sort of felt like the poster thought the game was bland until about halfway through and the back story for the new characters started to build up.

So for all of those going through the start of the game and feeling like it's bland or it's all just ground you've covered before, hang in there for a little bit and take extra care to get as many of the recordings as possible.

Ok a bit off topic, but still somewhat related.

Does anyone know how to unsee Bomberman? I just can't look at my game's cover seriously anymore :(

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
I didn't quite realize how fucking fun this game was. I was just playing at a friends house it was a damn nice change from mw2. I was going to buy it but my friend said I should definitely play the first first. So, should I play the first and then buy the second? I heard the fighting mechanics were better in the second, is this just the fact that you can dual wield plasmids and weapons or did they change other things as well?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Definitely play the first game first. It's a very story driven game and will be a great surprise if Call of Duty is all you're used to. It's also a great deal cheaper than the second game ($20 max).

Yeah I kinda change my mind about the game. I'm not thoroughly impressed, but finishing it gives me a better appreciation. Sinclair is a nice little twist on Atlas, though his character progression seriously puzzles me...

I felt Alexander was a Cohen rip-off, though and Lamb lacked the same charm and power of Ryan... Ryan felt sane and sensible despite the ongoings of Rapture... but Lamb just seems plain crazy and ultimately unlikeable.

There were a lot of nice touches at the end that Firestorm pointed out in his marked tags. And the ending was superior to the first.

Still though I felt that something was... missing. I rarely am the type to get too attached to the first iteration of a game and have no problems with sequels, but this one didn't do too much new. It was bioshock, but this time missing much of the mystery and awe of the first. It would be cooler if we left rapture itself for some new world that some is connected.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thoroughly enjoyed this, but I was slightly disappointed by the slow build up and ended a bit to fast.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)