SM OU Black-Ninja Balance

Hello everyone! I wanted to build a team around Ash-Greninja and Kyurem-Black, since they have a good offensive sinergy but still share some counters(magearne, ferrothorn) that Kyurem-Black can weaken enough to be killed by Greninja,Ok, let's start!

Ash-Greninja @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Evs: 4Atk / 252Spa / 252Spe
Timid Nature
Moves:
-Surf
-Water Shuriken
-U-Turn
-Dark Pulse
The late game cleaner of the team, Surf is preferred over hydro pump for the precision, water shuriken is my only form of speed control/priority , dark pulse is just a good STAB move and u-turn is amazing to bring kyurem in, since lots of greninja counters are easy killed by Kyurem( Tapu Bulu , Mega-Venusaur and Tangrowth) and is really hard to switch into a Kyurem-Black brought in via u-turn, thanks to this move, i can even bring Kyurem in against some pokemons that have to counter both Greninja and Kyurem, so he can weaken them enough for greninja to sweep... so Greninja is mainly my winning condition and a mon that can provide momentum for Kyurem and the rest of the team. Evs and item are standard.

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability : Teravolt
Evs : 4Atk / 252Spa / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
Moves:
-Ice Beam
-Fusion Bolt
-Earth Power
-Roost
Ice Beam is a spammable STAB move that provides good neutral damage, Fusion Bolt can deal tons of damage to bulky water typer that prevent Greninja fro sweeping, Earth power hits Magearna and Heatran pretty hard and Roost is to deal with stall, but i'm not 100% sure of this move, Life orb is given so Kyurem can hit hard against every mon, since he has to weaken ferrothorn without super effective moves and assault vest magearna, and hit with the most possible damage every kind of switch-in
Kyurem-Black has both physical a special moves, good coverage , as said before it has an amazing synergy with greninja, good Speed and for lots of teams it can be a real pain to switch into, it it just my idea of wallbreaker!

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability : Intimidate
Evs :252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spa
Impish Nature
Moves:
-Earthquake
-Hidden Power Ice
-Stealth Rock
-U-Turn
Earthquake is a good STAB move that can hit hard lots of mons even with neutral damage,Hidden Power Ice is a pretty good move to hit opponent Landorus, Gliscor and Garchomp, making Landorus less passive against theese mons, Stealth rock is a must on each team and u-turn can provide momentum for the rest of the team; Evs spread is to make Landorus hard to kill. I've just put Landorus on this team since he is one of the best mon currently available, he can check lots of Physical mons while stil not being passive, just a perfect choice for a balance team.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability : Iron Barbs
Evs : 252HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD
Careful Nature
Moves:
-Knock Off
-Spikes
-Leech Seed
-Thunder Wave
Knock off provides utility for the rest of the team, spikes helps a lot greninja with the late game sweeping, leech seed is for a bit of recover and thunder wave is to weaken sweeper that try to set up against ferrothorn (most notably volcarona) and a good overall move; given Evs are to help a bit landorus and still checking Special moves, since ferrothorn is my main answer to strong special attackers.
Ferrothorn is a bulky mon with a lot of utility moves, imo another perfect choice for a Balance team, he is never passive and can help weakening mons like magearna and opposing ferrothorn via knock off, a ferrothorn without leftovers or a magearna without assault vest are much more easier to weark down: it is really easier to check opposing ferrothorns healt and be sure that greninja can kill them with dark pulse, when they dont carry leftovers; rocky helmet can put lot of mons in range of OHKO by Kyurem and Greninja.
It has a good defensive synergy with landorus and helps the team a lot via passive damage and speed controll with thunder wave.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability ; Flash Fire
Evs : 252 Spa / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Moves:
-Magma Storm
-Toxic
-Taunt
-Earthpower
Another good fit for a balance team, heatran provides a bit of defensive support, good synergy with Greninja and ferrothorn and can deal with stall, a thing that no other mon can do in this team
Magma Storm can trap Chansey , Toxapex , Clefable and other annoying mons, leaving them vulnerable to toxic+taunt combo, or earthpower if the opponent is Toxapex,
Toxic is choosen because sometimes it can be really helpful against mons i don't know how to weaken and i didn't feel like heatran needed other moves in this team, Taunt, as said before is to deal with stall and earthpower is to deal with opposing heatran and a 100 accuracy move to use when i don't need magma storm to kill the opponent, moreover, once an opposing heatran is paralyzed, magma storm becomes far more spammable since i'm sure the next turn i'll attack first.

Tornadus - Therian @ Aguav Berry
Ability : Regenerator
Evs 252Hp / 4 Spa / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Moves:
-Hurricane
-Heath wave
-U-Turn
-Defog
I'm not 100% sure of this mon. thus said, he seems to fit well on this team.
Hurricane is a strong STAB move used when i need to weaken the opponent pokemon, but i really don't use it a lot, Heath wave is to hit more reliably opposing Serperior that try to switch into Defog, same thing for the not common Bisharp and a way to deal with ferrothorn, mega scizor and magearna, since they can stop greninja from evolving/sweeping, u-turn is to gain momentum and defog... is defog xD
I'm not 100% sure because i've just placed it because i needed a defogger, but i'm finding him very useful anyway, he is a good pivot that can check some low-mid power moves and just switch out and regain healt, good check to kartana, i really find useful switching in Tornadus when i don't know what to switch against some mons.

Main Team Weaknesses
I haven't played a lot this team so i could find other weaknesses plaiyng over:

Mons faster than greninja: not having a choice scarf user means being vulnerable to fast opponent sweepers, such as hawlucha, thus said, being theese mons mostly used in the late game, i can sacrifice heatran to poison them and even ferrothorn to deal passive damage with rocky hemlet+iron barbs, putting them in range of water shiriken.

Calm mind mega sableye : i just can't to anything against him, the only thing i can do is trying to freeze him with Kyurem-Black

Calm mind magic guard Clefable is a pain too, but heatran can check it reliably well.

Somethimes I feel like i need a good special wall, but i think can be common on a balance team

Mega swampert can be hard to deal with if the opponent predicts landorus/ferrothown switches, since i have to use theese two mons combined to deal with him... a power up punch mega swamper is even more dangerous for this team, anyway, I wouldn't say this team is too weak to him, just sometimes i find painfull to switch into him

Last edited:
Hello. I'm just gonna get into the rate.
1. Your teams matchup to Zam is not the best. As it has a move for pretty much every mon on your team as well as being able to outspeed all of them and hit them hard.
2. You need possibly another physical attacker who hits hard, as KB is your only one and can get easily worn down by rocks and lo damage, which you can roost off, but if it gets poisoned then its over. Yes Lando and Ferro have physical attacks but they are not focused/invested in attack, as you have stated and judging by your sets and spreads. I would recommend something like MegaCham, MegaMaw, or Tyranitar, as they are some of the top in the tier.
3. Now I will just talk about your individual sets. The first one is Greninja. This seems fine except U-Turn isn't a prime move choice, as it is much better and more commonly used for scarf protean sets. You could use Spikes, or Ice beam instead, as these are usually better for ash gren.
4. Next is your Lando set. I can understand you want to use defensive lando, but looking at your team, you probably need a scarfer, which will also help with your speed control. Plus, thanks to its ability, Lando is almost always physically fat. I've left the scarf Lando set down below.
5. If you're going to run Helmet on ferro then I recommend being more physically defensive to tank hits even better while dealing out more damage with its ability, and leech seed. Otherwise, just run leftovers. Instead of knock off, it would be better to run Power Whip or Gyro Ball as these are ferros main stabs which can hit for nice damage.
6. You said how you needed a special wall, so why not heatran? Tran is one of the best and most versatile pokemon in the tier and it makes a super good special wall, having so many resistances and very good defensive typing. I've left a specially defensive Tran set below too.
7. Torno should be your knock off user, as knock is pretty much non negotiable on it. It is much faster and can knock off items more efficiently than ferro which had it as its only attack. Heat wave isn't really needed on torno, as you already have heatran, which can reliably switch in to and threaten all of the mons you mentioned. Also, Rocky Helmet is better for Torno to get some extra chip, and berry is kind of redundant as its ability heals it nicely anyway.
8. Finally, your team does not have a Z-move user, or a mega (although ash gren sort of counts), but I'll leave that in your hands.
That's about it.
Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 232 Atk / 68 Def / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Defog

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock/Taunt

Thank you for the rating ! Almost all you said makes sense to me, i'll try to change my team making heatran a special wall, changing tornadus set and using scarf lando, so i sould fulfill the lack of another physical attacker and a speed controller, anyway, which mon would leave on the bench in order to run another physicall attacker like Megacham/MegaMaw?
The only thing i'm not 100% is replacing ash-gren u-turn, since ninja really forces out lot of switches and the momentum gain is huge: just think about how many trainers strart the battle with lando, if i'm using greninja that is almost surely momentum gained

Thank you for the rating ! Almost all you said makes sense to me, i'll try to change my team making heatran a special wall, changing tornadus set and using scarf lando, so i sould fulfill the lack of another physical attacker and a speed controller, anyway, which mon would leave on the bench in order to run another physicall attacker like Megacham/MegaMaw?
The only thing i'm not 100% is replacing ash-gren u-turn, since ninja really forces out lot of switches and the momentum gain is huge: just think about how many trainers strart the battle with lando, if i'm using greninja that is almost surely momentum gained
just think about scarf lando-t using u-turn and screwing your gren over
it's also weak to v-switch and any momentum grabbing move

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)