XY OU Blackbeard Pirates - Hyper Offense

This team has an interesting story. It was meant to be used in the last OU Mini-Tour, which had two rules: Knock Off and mega evolutions banned. So it was built with that ruleset in mind. It had a decent sucess in the tournament, getting me to round 3 (and winning both battles I had to play in round 2), but what surprised me was how effective this team was in the regular game. It got me suspect reqs in the Baton Pass ladder, and today, it got me to the 1800 in the main ladder for the first time since I've started playing this game. So I guess it's time to share it to the community.

My initial goal was to use Gengar, my favorite pokemon. Since I needed something to deal with Dark moves, Breloom was the next one, another pokemon I like to use. The rest of the team was built with a balanced mindset, like I usually do. It didn't take me long to realize it wasn't working, because the very two pokemon I wanted to use were incompatible with the bulky mindset I was relying on. So I decided to venture into uncharted waters and make my first HO team. After many changes, before, during and after building it for the tournament, here's the final result. The name of the team was based on one of the main groups of villains from One Piece (which are, obviously, based on a famous pirate crew):

El Mamut @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Endeavor
- Ice Shard

The kamikase mammoth that will lay point rocks or and die trying. Also, hopefully, kill something with either Earthquake, or the infamous F.E.A.R. combo. It's often the first pokemon to go down, but if it doesn't, it may become an useful source of priority later. Or a sacrifice to give a free switch to something else. Still, Endeavor is incredibly scary and this pokemon will hardly go down without giving my team the head start to attack.

The nickname was based on a Spanish video that became an internet meme about a decade ago, about a mammoth with self-destructive tendencies (everyone should watch it, it's hilarious).

Danny Phantom @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond

The oldest and most baddass ghost of the game, ripping apart teams non-stop for six generations, and being incredibly annoying to kill. This is an offensive set, but it's also meant to give stall a headache, with Taunt. Shadow Ball + Sludge Wave is everything I need (the choice of Wave over Bomb is to lure Chesnaught against stall teams), to come in after something goes down and then start spamming, and Destiny Bond is a nasty surprise against offense. It's another pokemon who won't last long, but it deals a ridiculous amount of damage before it goes down, ripping apart defensive and offensive cores alike.

The nickname was based on a Nickelodeon cartoon about a ghost superhero boy.

1UP @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb

I swear, LO Breloom is one of the most underrated sets in existance. This pokemon is one of the best wallbreakers I know. Bullet Seed hits so hard its hilarious, being able to OHKO and 2HKO so many unexpected things (not even Gliscor is safe from it, specially if it tries to switch into Spore). Mach Punch also makes it an amazing revenge killer, and my main answer to Bisharp, Excadrill, and Greninja, being easily able to OHKO them (and most of them don't expect it because the Sash set, which is more common, can't). Rock Tomb is to be used specially after the Spore, against those cocky flying pokemon who think they can counter it. Finally, Spore is the overpowered move that required a clause just to keep it under control, putting enormous pressure on any slower pokemon on a team that lacks things immune to it. Or making double switches easy if there is something immune to it. It has saved my ass a lot of times. This pokemon is versatile, resourceful, very hard to wall and can troll the opposing team in numerous ways.

The nickname was a based on a certain green mushroom that gives you an extra life if you collect it.

Shen Long @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt HP Fire
- Roost

The nuke. The pokemon that once comes in and puts the opponent into a lot of pressure to switch in. The number of things that can safely switch into it is limited (heck, the number of things who can check it is also very limited). For some reason, it's often the last, or one of the last, pokemon to go down, so it kind of acts like a sweeper, though it's originally meant as a wallbreaker. It's probably because Roost helps its longevity, and because I never want to sack something with such a high speed and ability to OHKO things in a pinch. Draco Meteor + Psyshock is the standard stab combo, and Thunderbolt is pretty good against Skarmory and Azumarill (having saved me many times against the belly drum set), and making Latios often the best answer to rain teams.

Update: I've replaced Thunderbolt with HP Fire, in an attempt of dealing with Scizor. So far it seems to be working.

The nickname was based on the wish fulfilling dragon from Dragon Ball Z (and it fits it because I use it as shiny).
Amidamaru @ Spell Tag
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

I swear, I always try to make a team without Aegislash in it, but I just can't. There isn't a limit to what this pokemon can do, and it adds so many versatility to my teams it's ridiculous. It's hard to define its role, being able to check many different teams, spam powerful attacks, revenge kill, and pivot. It does everything, and keeping it alive for a long time is often the difference between winning or losing. The set is the standard bulky attacker one. I've used Iron Head on the fourth slot for most of this team's history, but lately I changed to Sacred Sword, for the opportunity to troll things like Bisharp and Heatran who tend to switch in, and it hasn't disappointed me. The null speed IVs allow me to outslow things like opposing Aegislash and Azumarill, which can be vital for the success of this team.

The nickname is based on the ghost swordsman from Shaman King.

Godzilla @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake

Finally, the surprise revenge killer. It relies on the fact that it's impossible to predict whether it will be scarfed and what moves it will use. Pursuit is the main attraction, giving me a free kill against opposing Lati@s and Gengar, and many more if I feel bold and predict a switch. Stone Edge is the strongest stab. Earthquake is the classic, "check everything" move. Finally, Ice Beam is the evil surprise, being able to OHKO, or deal ridiculous damage to things like Garchomp, Gliscor and both formes of Landorus. In the end, I decided not to use Crunch, because I noticed I was often using Pursuit in situations I would normally use Crunch, so I decided to use Ice Beam instead for the surprise factor. The Naive nature was chosen instead of Jolly to ensure maximum Ice Beam damage, though with the loss of part of its amazing special bulk. I've tried to replace it for its mega-evolution, but it's just impossible. The ability to troll things like Landorus and Thundurus is to good to pass by.

Nickname based on the famous Japanese dinosaur.

In the end, this team works without a mega evolution, and attempts to introduce one have been futile. But boy, how it works. It does struggle against a few things, though. Mega Scizor is the main offender, since this thing lacks a steel resist other than Aegislash, who is weak to Knock Off, and often needs to be sacrificed to make the bug easier to revenge kill. Opposing Aegislash are also a major problem, and nothing is guaranteed to beat it, which my own Aegislash being often the best check, and Tyranitar/Mamoswine/Breloom helping to take it down (the third one with Spore). Finally, Conkeldurr also tends to give me issues, with the fighting/dark combo giving problems to my team. As you can see filling my team with things weak to ghost/dark (because of the OU minitour) was somewhat detrimental, but it provided me with a lot of offensive power that allowed this team to succeed, and ultimately, have a good fighting chance against everything.

Thanks for reading. If you have any suggestions that could improve this team, feel free to post them.

Last edited:
It's so damn awesome I can't say much but for a nitpick I would rather Flamethrower over Ice Beam to roast the annoying Steel types (Skarm, Rachi and Ferro in particular) that will potentially wall you once Swine (maybe) goes down.

Hey Ninja Charizard,

No beating around the bush right now, because oh my goodness this is one fantastic team! So when I usually try to be as critical with these kinda teams I try to look through the same way I would when i see an opposing team in team preview. "Alright what kind of holes are in this team and how can I abuse the heck out of them", but right now i only see a few and even those are very minimal. So, when I look at this from a glance, I see a lot of crazy fast pokemon. Now most insanely speedy pokemon are using a speed boosting nature rather than an attack or special attacking nature, so naturally they aren't as powerful as they can be. But after looking at this, your speed to hard-hitting pokemon ratio is golden. You've got your gengar doing some fast work with that timid nature and full speed evs only complimented by its life orb so it can deal more of a hit. Then after i look at that I see 3 life orbs and think that your team might be taking too much damage with that recoil. Now of course a HO team isn't geared towards defense (duh), but it still cant be a load of pokemon with recoiling attacks and a life orb. This kinda "defensive" hole is patched perfectly by scarfzilla, aegi and your sashed lead of mamoswine. However, defensiveness isnt all based on stats, you've got to have the right typings and make sure you can outspeed other HO threats. Here is a list of your main threats that I see that you haven't listed.
  • - Scarf Mold Breaker Excadrill: It outspeeds most your team, earthquake takes 3 of your pokemon that are weak too it, (Gengar, Aegislash and Tyranitar)
  • - Life Orb Infernape: Flare Blitz and Close Combat take out Mamoswine, Breloom, Aegislash and Tyranitar. Luckily some of your faster threats like gengar can take it, or take it down with destiny bond if need be.
  • - Mega Medicham: Drain Punch, Psycho Cut and Fire Punch is a serious threat. If you dont take care of this forcefully and swiftly, you will run into major problems. Those 3 moves take down all except latios. And even that doesnt have a move against it. However, no need to fret because its only on 3.3% of teams (as of the beginning of this month), plus your two ghosts can take it down relatively easily.
  • - SD Scizor with Knockoff and Roost: This thing will destroy your team. The knockoff will take all your power boosting items, recover from anything you deal, and you cant stop it due to your lack of fire moves. I highly suggest replacing ice beam on scarftar with flamethrower, as said by Awesomeceus. (Thanks Dragonite VII for informing me about the scizor threat!)
  • More threats will be added as I think of them.
Now, the reason I added those threats is not for improving the team, but improving how you react to them. My goal with them is for you to see those in the team preview and really realize what you're going against. Regarding changes to the team itself, i have a few ideas, but most are really geared around personal preference, so just tell me what you think. Aegi shouldn't have 0 speed ivs. There's really no reason for it to have that. Aegi could also use leftovers a bit more for some recovery and would generally live longer to give a few more hits to compensate for your spell tag. Lastly, tyranitar could benefit a bit more from crunch for some reliability and the occasional speed loss is compensated by the scarf. Other than those suggestions, this team is... phenomenal. You carry a lot of power and speed with these guys even without a mega, which really isn't even needed surprisingly. The only mega you could use is maybe mega ttar with dragon dancing to make up for the speed, but even that is a bit sketchy. Overall, great team, and be sure to hit me back up to tell me what you think of these suggestions. I had a lot of fun with this and look forward to hearing from you soon. Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Nice to see some people like it.

About Scizor and his mega evolution, yeah, that's the biggest issue. The problem with adding Fire Blast to TTar is that it still doesn't work that well, because Scizor has Bullet Punch, which could OHKO TTar with little prior damage. Or still sweep my team with a single swords dance. Ice Beam at least is flawless against the things it wants to kill, as long as they're not scarfed. But I might still try FB just to see if it works. Arceus knows I need to do something about the red bug.

Also, Aegis likes the 0 speed IVs because it lets it check opposing Aegislash, since they will attack first, then expose themselves to my own Aegislash's shadow ball. It's also an issue if I outspeed Azumarill, because Aegis is one of the best checks against it, as long as it's not attacked in blade forme.

As for the others, Excadrill is very annoying, though Breloom checks it (and most Excadrill uses think they are safe because they expect sash). Greninja is another major threat we both forgot to mention, probably even more than Exca, though it's also checked by Breloom. Medicham is completely shut down by Aegislash, and matches against Medicham teams are often won by trying to take down that one pokemon who can switch into my own Aegis, which will then make it impossible for Medicham to come in without losing something. And I didn't think about Infernape at all, since it's pretty rare in the high ladder. I guess Latios covers it?

Edit: I just thought of running HP Fire on Latios. It OHKOs after rocks. Is it a good idea?

Last edited:
Regarding scizor, HP Fire on Latios is a much better idea than flamethrower on ttar, forgot about bullet punch's priority, sorry about that.

If you really want a slightly slower aegi, then set its IVs to 29, that allows you to underspeed every other aegi that doesnt have its IVs changed. Its 29 instead of 30 just in case some odd Aegi comes in with a hidden power move that lowers its speed.

Yeah, latios covers it to an extent, but latios is down before infernape you might have a problem.

Hey :) I love One Piece and am caught up and it is my favorite anime :3 I also love Shaman King and DBZ :3 any ways the only thing I can suggest is to switch LO Breloom to Sashloom since breloom definitely can't take a hit and when it does it can spore and proceed to decimate. Good lawk.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Ah nice shaman king nickname, great manga
All right lets actually rate this time (sry reymedy :^] )

As for amidamaru himself, I'd honestly not even bother with HP. I'd just invest everything in attack because a strong shadow sneak is nice and the things that Aegislash checks at max hp anyway (stuff like thundy, azu, offensive mega venu etc. ) you already have some pretty solid answers too. My guess is that you'd like the power better cuz the bulk doesn't seem to be doing THAT much :/

This team actually seems to struggle with sp. def heatran quite a bit, mamo and breloom aren't easy switch-ins (especially cuz mamo is oblivious) and everything else doesn't 2hko aside from tar, which risks the burn. You also have to keep tar healthy to deal with priority (bb talon, qa pinsir, espeed dnite), and combined with no hp investment, heatran is really annoying. What I'd recommend is using earthquake on latios to knock heatran down, if not to a range where gengar can kill.

Regarding the scizor problem, you could either put flamethrower on ttar (bad idea) or try will-o on gengar over sludge wave (slightly better but still not great). Ultimately, this team suffers against scizor, but the solutions are a tad limited here :/ If you decide to test will-o>sludge wave on gengar, be sure to put iron head on aegislash to still deal with fairies.

Sash may or may not also be worth looking into but that's your choice really, I just prefer sash.

So yeah other than the points above cool team, definitely nice that you're not using a mega

Heatran is a pain in the ass indeed, I usually fight it by predicting its protect patterns, which is not very hard. But usually something has to go down for me to get rid of Heatran. Even worse if it's a Venutran core.

I've just tested HP Fire on Latios. It worked. The Mega Scizor player never saw it coming. I'm gonna miss Thunderbolt, though. Gotta be extra careful against BD Azumarill from now on.

I've used Aegis with full attack before, and it's awesome, but I've fallen in love with bulky Aegis. It resists things that common sense tells it shouldn't. I just won a match where I managed to tank a fucking scarfchomp's EQ with 30% left, then punish back. Hardly anything can OHKO it. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if I managed to survive a Knock Off froma Bisharp or something like that. The EVs on attack are surely missed, but Shadow Ball hurts more after you survive a hit.

Anyway, thanks for the tips.

HP Fire forces you to lose the Speed tie with opposing Lati@s by lowering your Speed IVs, potentially KOing you with Draco Meteor. Also, Ttar can survive a CBand BP from Scizor while it is OHKOed by Flamethrower arfter SR if I remember correctly. If you want, you could try 56 SpA / 200 Atk Ttar to KO Scizor without rocks and hit harder generally while not really compromising power.

Last edited:
I might suggest you change Breloom to sash, just feel like you would get more usage of him that way and allows you to take out stuff like Thundy, Zard-y before breaking sash.
Also change put the 4 ev's back into defense as it will give you the right Hp number for Lo on your Latios.
Otherwise great team. :]

I might suggest you change Breloom to sash, just feel like you would get more usage of him that way and allows you to take out stuff like Thundy, Zard-y before breaking sash.
Also change put the 4 ev's back into defense as it will give you the right Hp number for Lo on your Latios.
Otherwise great team. :]
Hey fingers,

Problem with the sash is that he doesn't have a defogger or rapid spinner due to the nature of the team, and even some of the best HO teams can face some troubles against hazard setters, particularly Deoxys D or S. However if Breloom is the dedicated lead, then yes Focus Sash is by far the best option. I assume Mamoswine is the lead, but I may be mistaken. And yeah, smart call regarding the LO based HP change, I didn't even think of that.

Mamo is the lead 95% of the time. Breloom can be a lead depending on the situation, but it's rare.

And yeah, no hazard control. To tell the truth, I don't really need it, since nothing in my team is weak to it. And the main reason I don't like Sash Breloom is that: it requires hazard control just to function, so it can pull off his gimmick. I'd rather have a Breloom who doesn't depend on Spore to be useful, and can still come in at 10% HP and revenge kill something in a pinch. Those Mega Dragon Dancers who got killed by it can confirm it.

And thanks for the HP tip, I didn't think of that lol.

I would recommend Rock Slide over Stone Edge on Tyranitar since M-Pinsir can clean your team pretty easily late game if it gets up an SD.

Having a 90% chance to beat something that greatly threatens your team great is better than 70%. Rock Slide also still 2HKO's Mandibuzz (which is a nuisance to your team and a nuisance in general) after Stealth Rocks. (252 Atk Tyranitar Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 176-210 (41.5 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery) Hitting two Stone Edges in a row is nigh impossible, let alone one, so i think Rock Slide gives better utility.

I'd also recommend Latias over Latios.

+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 234-276 (77.4 - 91.3%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latias: 211-250 (69.8 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Latias' bulk can benefit your team. Although you are running a Hyper Offense team, i think Latias is still viable since it can act as a glue to your team with Healing Wish if you decide to run Sash Loom, and it has better longevity than Latios, especially since you're running recovery on it already.

Though Calm Mind is more common to beat Stall, Rock Polish Landorus-I is still a threat to your team still it eats your team alive outside of Latios.

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Breloom: 504-595 (192.3 - 227%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gengar: 424-499 (161.8 - 190.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 4 HP / 0- SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 374-439 (109.3 - 128.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 351-416 (108.3 - 128.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

There's not much i can recommend against Landorus outside of trying to preserve your Mamoswine (though it's a suicide lead) or keep your Latios healthy.

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus: 333-394 (104 - 123.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 288-340 (90 - 106.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
(252 SpA Life Orb Latias Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus: 296-348 (92.5 - 108.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock)

Hope i could help.

I would recommend Rock Slide over Stone Edge on Tyranitar since M-Pinsir can clean your team pretty easily late game if it gets up an SD.

Having a 90% chance to beat something that greatly threatens your team great is better than 70%.
I'd like to point out that Stone Edge has 80% accuracy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)