quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
With a kit tailor-made for enabling partners, Blastoise stands out as DOU's definitive pure support pick. Access to all of Fake Out, Follow Me, and a pivot move in Flip Turn makes Blastoise incredibly effective at controlling the board and generating space for teammates to operate. Its respectable defenses leave it quite adept at soaking up attacks for its team; its pure-Water typing can be a mixed bag, though, only truly vulnerable to Grass-types such as Rillaboom and Kartana but giving little in meaningful resistances. Blastoise generally fits best in fast, aggressive teams that feature threatening setup sweepers such as Dragon Dance Dragapult, Nasty Plot Spectrier, and Quiver Dance Volcarona. While Blastoise does compete with Amoonguss as a redirector and Tapu Fini as a bulky Water-type, it can be a better fit for borderline hyper offensive compositions hat prefer its dynamic, positioning-oriented arsenal over slow, controlling utility of Amoonguss's Spore and Tapu Fini's terrain control. Most glaringly, though, Blastoise's focus on sponging hits can let strong attackers like Kartana and Zygarde simply overwhelm it or ignore the redirection; its lack of any offensive presence whatsoever means its partners must be threatening enough to make the support count.
name: Follow Me Support
move 1: Fake Out
move 2: Follow Me
move 3: Flip Turn
move 4: Toxic / Roar
item: Sitrus Berry
evs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 40 SpD
* Fake Out and Follow Me let Blastoise keep its team safe, making them its primary tools for providing support.
* Flip Turn lets Blastoise act as a pivot, utilizing its bulk and relatively low Speed to effectively provide safe switches for teammates; it also makes Fake Out available again for later.
* Toxic pressures bulky threats such as Porygon2 and Kyurem-B, making up for Blastoise's lack of offensive presence, while Roar can be quite nifty for phazing and denying Trick Room setups.
* The EV spread is primarily focused on Defense to help Blastoise deal with the likes of Urshifu-R, Rillaboom, and Kyurem-B much more reliably, with the investment in its special bulk, in conjunction with its Sitrus Berry, handily letting it survive two Expanding Forces from Necrozma in Psychic Terrain.
Safety Goggles is one of the best alternatives on Blastoise purely for countering Amoonguss ineffective alongside Follow Me as Spore gets rendered ineffective. Rindo Berry can also be useful for Kartana and Rillaboom; Blastoise surviving a hit from these threats can give teammates game-changing extra safety. Blastoise also has more niche alternatives for its fourth move in Helping Hand, Icy Wind, and Life Dew.
- Written by: [[Memoric, 215000]]
- Quality checked by: [[zeefable, 501951], [emma, 294304]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finalnd, 517429]]