darin_general_lance.gif
uhai_nomadictrooper_sword.gif
ursula_valkyrie_magic.gif
brendan_warrior_axe.gif
linus_hero_sword.gif
lloyd_swordmaster_sword.gif

Yes, I have a FE fetish. What of it?

Introduction

Sup Smogon ^_^ Some of you may know me from me (few) posts in C&C while anyone else more than likely knows me through one of my alts on shoddy. I'm typically not active in the RMT forum (mostly due to the fact that I give poor team advice, partially because I can't stay dedicated to a single team for long), but with my attention now geared towards B/W's metagame, I just couldn't resist making a thread for my most successful team of 4th gen.

I never consider any of my teams "perfect" by any means because of the obvious holes in them. However, I always prepare for the current metagame by figuring out the best methods of gaining momentum, studying and countering trends - G/F/W cores gaining popularity after both Latias a Salamence got the Uber stamp for example - and, of course, checking the most prominent threats. I'm also pretty fond of finding the underdogs of OU, underused Pokemon that have great potential in the OU metagame. Torterra is a prime example of what I tend to look for, as it has more than enough merits over both Metagross and Rhyperior to make it a viable threat in OU.

A few months ago, around August, I started lurking around QC and found the skeleton for Aggron's OU analysis, eventually falling in love with Tyranitar's scarier-looking cousin. Head Smash was the main quality about Aggron that stood out to me, as, and iirc, it's 9% more powerful than max attack Groudon's Earthquake, making it a very potent attacking option in OU due to how many Pokemon either are OHKOed, or lose a huge chunk of health from it. After a while of using Aggron in OU, I became accustomed to how it should be played, and eventually built a team that would make Aggron shine. With its threats either lured out and KOed or crippled by entry hazards and status, Aggron can unleash its full destructive force in OU, leaving quite a few teams smashed into pieces.

Onto this...

Team Building Process
dpiconani306.gif
dpiconani248.gif

Aggron was the base of this team due to not only its retard-powerful Head Smash with no recoil, but also its Rock- / Steel-typing and amazing defenses, allowing it to take advantage of Outrages and Explosions being thrown around as well as the oh-so-common sandstorm. For those reasons, I chose Tyranitar as Aggron's offensive partner in order to muscle through Swampert and Hippowdon, while giving Aggron the special bulk needed to survive a random Fire Blast, Surfs, Grass Knots, etc. After a while, I changed Tyranitar's set from Choice Band to Choice Scarf in order to trap some of OU's most threatening sweepers and prevent them from capitalizing on Aggron's shit Speed stat.

dpiconani407.gif

Entry hazards are very important to Aggron's rampage, as they really help weaken Swampert and Hippowdon enough for Head Smash to plow right through them. Forretress and Froslass were my first choices as spikers, but neither could fit on my team well. I looked into other Pokemon with access to Spikes that could function well in OU, even trying stuff out like Quilfish and Cacturne, and eventually found myself using Roserade as a my spiker (I was also unaware of how helpful para support is to my team). I was a bit reluctant to continue using Roserade because of how frail it is, but ultimately began relying on it as my primary check to Vaporeon, Suicune, Starmie, most Grass-types (Leech Seed Shaymin in particular), and, to an extent, Gengar.

dpiconani130.gif

The next choice was pretty simple for me. Gyarados and Roserade form one of my favorite defensive duos in OU - Roserade easily sets up on most of the stuff that Gyarados lures in, and in return, Gyarados abuses those entry hazards with Intimidate and Roar and checks Pokemon that commonly switch in Roserade, such as Heatran and Infernape. I made no hesitation plopping RestTalk Gyarados on my team and I haven't looked back on that choice yet.

dpiconani485.gif

I never make a team without Stealth Rock. It's incredibly easy to get up, ensures a lot of KOes, and, unlike (Toxic) Spikes, hits every Pokemon for at least some damage, ensuring that my opponent has to think twice before switching. Kabutops recently became one of my favorite OU teams due to its ability to outright troll stall with Rapid Spin and an incredibly strong Stone Edge to ward ghosts off with. Unfortunately, Kabutops would be forced to switch against most leads, usually revealing Gyarados early in the game, so a replacement was in order. Phil's Heatran set, unlike Kabutops, has much better lead match ups, including a very good chance at beating LeadChamp, so I tried it out for a while with a great success rate. There really wasn't much else to run as this team's lead, as Heatran had great type synergy, midgame utility, and, of course, a very good chance at starting a game off 6-5.

Ani479OMS.png

Entry hazards are a blessing to any team, and I would hate to have them spun away whenever I fuck up with Tyranitar, Gyarados, or Aggron. RestTalk Rotom-H seemed to do the trick as a great spinblocker, as it can constantly check multiple OU threats, effectively removing more pressure from my team, and further cripple bulky Ground-types that give Aggron problems.​
At a glance~

i_heatran.gif
i_rotom_wash.gif
i_roserade.gif
i_gyarados.gif
i_aggron.gif
i_tyranitar.gif

Stealth Rock:||||||||||||||||||||Spikes:||||||||||||||||||||Toxic Spikes:

One 2x weak|||||||||||||||||||||Two Immune ||||||||||||||| Four immune
One takes .5x damage||||||||||||Four vulnerable||||||||||||||One vulnerable
Four take normal damage|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||One absorbs Toxic Spikes

All types, except for Rock, are resisted at least twice

----
Heatran (M) @ Life Orb *** Darin
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 32 HP/224 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
FireIC_Big.png
- Overheat
GrassIC_Big.png
- Hidden Power [Grass]
RockIC_Big.png
- Stealth Rock
DarkIC_Big.png
- Taunt
---
Ah yes, philo's LeadTran set kicks off this team with a bang (...or at least it would've been a bang if this team didn't have such as huge weakness to stupid Baton Pass chains). Despite having just about the same checks as any other Heatran, this set has served me well in gaining momentum from the start, getting SR up, and checking the occasional steels.

Why Heatran?

The point of using Heatran is to gain an advantage from the start while having reliable access to Stealth Rock later in the game. The lead position is the most important slot on any team, as it determines which side gets the first blood and gains momentum from the start. Anti-leads such as Machamp and SpecsTran have skyrocketed in usage over the past couple of months, making the typical suicide / resist berry leads much less viable. This led me to using a lead with not only has longevity, but also has the tools to prevent it from being set up on. I didn't want to have one Pokemon to set up both Stealth Rock and Spikes - way too much pressure imo - but I didn't want to go without a spinblocker, so I chose Heatran to get rocks up and incinerate opposing leads.

EVs and moveset?

Max Special Attack Life Orb Overheat almost always OHKOes attacking lead Machamp; Hidden Power Grass snipes Swampert and bulky waters that Heatran lures in; Taunt helps a lot against Baton Pass chains and eases the prediction when pitted against Forretress leads. 346 Speed trolls Jolly Tyranitar and Pokemon that speed creep in order to beat it. The rest is thrown into HP for a bit of added bulk and a LO number as well.

Thinking about changes?

Nah, Heatran works fine here as the lead. It hasn't shown itself as deadweight and usually starts a match off in my favor.

Name Association

Both Darin and Heatran are ugly as fuck. Yeah, there isn't much else that they have in common.
---
479-wash.png
Uhai.gif
"You know nothing, little lord. Nothing of Nergal's might. Nothing of his terrible power. You are ignorant, and so you hope to oppose him. You are insects railing against the heavens. Your actions will change nothing. Speak no more foolishness and begone!"

----
Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf *** Uhai
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
ElectricIC_Big.png
- Thunderbolt
WaterIC_Big.png
- Hydro Pump
PsychicIC_Big.png
- Trick
IceIC_Big.png
- Hidden Power [Ice]
---
My team unfortunately relies on entry hazards in order to be effective, so having a spinblocker is pretty much a given. However, in order to maintain momentum throughout the game, I need a Pokemon that can patch up an obvious holes in my team such as weaknesses to a few common sweepers and defensive threats. Rotom-W fills this role very well with not only great offensive capabilities, but also access to Trick, Hydro Pump, and Thunderbolt. I haven't really committed myself to keeping it as a permanent member of this team, but Rotom, up to this point at least, has served me well as my trump card when backed into a corner by the likes of Gyarados, Suicune, and Gliscor.

Why Rotom?

Usable Ghost-types are pretty low in count, and because this team prefers longevity over sweeping potential, my options were limited to Rotom-A and Spiritomb (Dusknoir's pure Ghost-typing and meh offensive potential kept me from considering it). Rotom-A is a great Pokemon that can feign multiple sets, maintaining its utility even after its set has been revealed; it's also one of the best checks to Gyarados around as well as a very solid counter to SD Scizor. Spiritomb on the other hand didn't serve much of a purpose on my team, as Machamp, Lucario, and Gengar are checked pretty well by Gyarados and Tyranitar.

EVs and moveset?

Rotom needs as much power as it can get so in the event that it becomes option raped by a Pursuit user, Rotom can at least cause some damage. With Tyranitar, and for that matter Roserade, handling Gengar and opposing Rotom, there isn't much need for Shadow Ball; Hidden Power Ice, as suggested by Faladran, gives Rotom a much better option against Dragonite, OHKOing bulkier variants given that SR damage has been accounted for.

Thinking about changes?

Other Ghost-types, as already mentioned, don't really add anything new to this team other than a few useful niches such as countering Machamp and Gengar (Spiritomb), and abusing Gravity (Dusknoir). RestTalk Rotom-H was here previously, but it only made my team more susceptible to offense.

Name Association

In all honesty, this nick is mostly filler so Rotom doesn't break this team's theme. Yeah, sorry.
---
407.png
Ursula.png
"Tell me… Are you afraid to die?"
----
Roserade (F) @ Leftovers *** Ursula
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP/80 Def/124 Spd/52 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
GroundIC_Big.png
- Spikes
GrassIC_Big.png
- Grass Knot
FireIC_Big.png
- Hidden Power [Fire]
GrassIC_Big.png
- Stun Spore
---
Roserade is, imo, the best spiker in OU, as it has to tools to beat most spinners (fuck you, tenta), absorbs Toxic Spikes on the switch in, and the stats for taking hits and setting up multiple layers of spikes. Not only that, but it has access to Stun Spore, giving a lot of Pokemon who usually benefit from Spikes support such as DDTar and Lucario, much needed paralysis support. On this team, both are very much welcome, as Aggron and Heatran can outright break slower teams in half with their ridiculously strong STAB attacks combined with residual damage from spikes.

Why Roserade?

Simple. Spikes. Lots of them. I was never fond of using Roserade as a spiker in the past, as its low Defense stat made it seem too much like Tyranitar bait. However, I eventually began to rely on it as my primary switch in to bulky Waters, Grass-types, and Rotom-A. Forretress just couldn't keep up with my team and Froslass was way too frail, usually giving me a 5-6 disadvantage from the start. I never really got to testing Skarmory out, but it just seems to be more of a liability than anything to this team - giving me an even larger weakness to Starmie and Rotom in exchange for... Roost and a second phazer?

EVs and moveset?

Maxing out Roserade's pitiful HP is obvious. 124 Speed places Roserade at 346 Speed, as with Heatran, allowing it to outpace most defensive Celebi, Wish + CM Jirachi, and the speed creeping fuckholes. 80 Def prevents Scizor's Bull(shit)et Punch from KOing Roserade after SR damage, allowing Roserade to lure out and KO a threat to Tyranitar.

Thinking about changes?

It really depends on whether or not I find Spikes and paralysis support to be less of a use to this team. Otherwise, no.

Name Association

Roserade and Ursula don't share that many traits, but both tend to constantly remind their targets of the punishment that will occur if mistakes are made - Roserade does this with Stun Spore and Spikes while Ursula emphasizes on the punishment of the Black Fang.
---
130.png
Brendan.png
"Aaargh… Lloyd… Linus… Forgive your… foolish…father……"

----
Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers *** Brendan Reed
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP/164 Def/32 Spd/64 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
WaterIC_Big.png
- Waterfall
NormalIC_Big.png
- Roar
PsychicIC_Big.png
- Rest
NormalIC_Big.png
- Sleep Talk
---
What's the point of setting up entry hazards if I don't abuse them? Gyarados, one of the premier phazers in OU, fits very well on this team for its ability to check Infernape, AgiliLuke, and Heatran without much trouble, while racking up tons of entry hazard damage with Roar. Gyarados also comes in handy as a second status absorber, so I can fall back on something other than Rotom when pitted against Blissey, Jirachi, and the like; while it may seem a bit risky to carry two RestTalkers, Gyarados's primary job is to check Fighting- and Fire-types, and Rest off the damage taken when it can. With Roserade and Heatran in reserve, Gyarados forms a solid F/W/G core on this team, optimizing paralysis and entry hazard abuse in order to weaken my opponent's team enough for Tyranitar or Aggron to clean up.

Why Gyarados?

Compared to its fellow bulky Water-types, Gyarados boasts a lot of merits for this team to benefit from. For one, Flying-typing allows Gyarados to sponge hits from some of OU's most threatening powerhouses (namely Machamp), avoid Spikes and Toxic Spikes, and also gives Gyarados great type synergy with the rest of my team. Imtimidate as well as access to Roar give Gyarados the tools to constantly force switches, racking up more and more hazard damage. Vaporeon, Suicune, and Swampert have access to Roar, but give me an even bigger weakness to Lucario and Scizor.

EVs and moveset?

The Special Defense investment does a myriad of things, including taking continuous hits from the likes of Celebi and Infernape while Resting off the damage with ease. The small investment in speed places Gyarados right about 0 Spe Suicune, allowing it to Roar first in that case.

Thinking about changes?

Vaporeon and Suicune can't check Fighting-types as consistently as Gyarados, but they're options for Wish support and offensive capabilities, respectively.

Name Association

Brendan is the father of both Linus and Lloyd and was leader (and founder) of the Black Fang until Nergal's takeover. He's also very considerate of his loved ones, especially his sons. Gyarados forms very excellent type synergy with the rest of my team and greatly supports Aggron and Tyranitar by checking threats to them and spreading damage with Roar.
---
306.png
Linus.png
"Pray. I'll give you that much time. All the evil that you've done up to now... Repent it, and sleep."
----
Aggron (M) @ Choice Band *** Linus Reed
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
RockIC_Big.png
- Head Smash
GroundIC_Big.png
- Earthquake
WaterIC_Big.png
- Aqua Tail
IceIC_Big.png
- Ice Punch
---
Finally, we get to the crux of this team, Aggron, who has countless MVP titles under its belt thanks to its unique traits and unpredictability. With a Choice Band attached, Aggron becomes incredibly powerful, mowing through some of OU's top defensive walls with Head Smash. Its "coverage" attacks are also pretty helpful in downing stuff like Jirachi, Hippowdon, and Breloom without worrying about a Head Smash miss. Moreover, Aggron's as cute as a button (I mean, who wouldn't want to give it a nice, warm, tight hug?).

Why Aggron?

Being a underused, yet very capable Pokemon in OU is more than enough for me to use Aggron over any other Choice Bander; however, that wasn't all that tempted me to use Aggron over Tyranitar or Heracross. Its immunity to poison, resistance to Stealth Rock, and usable bulk give Aggron multiple chances to switch in and start wrecking shit with Head Smash. Speaking of which, Aggron's Head Smash is among one of the most powerful attacks in the game, 2HKOing defensively bulky Pokemon such as Skarmory and Forretress as well as Pokemon that resist Head Smash, Machamp being the most notable. Aggron also has access to other coverage attacks, allowing it hammer its way through most of OU given some prediction. Did I mention that Head Smash is fucking strong?

EVs and moveset?

Jolly + max speed places Aggron at a nice 218 Speed, allowing it to beat everything up to and including SubPetaya Empoleon, while maintaining quite a bit of power, only missing out on a few KOes without a +Attack nature.

Thinking about changes?

Hell no

Name Association

Linus is the more rash and impulsive Reed brother, but is extremely loyal to and caring of his loved ones - Linus ignores Lloyd's orders out of his own impatience, but only for the purpose of showing him that he's a very capable and powerful member of the Four Fangs. Aggron is much more powerful and unbound unlike his distant cousin, Tyranitar, not really requiring much thought to use (really, spamming Head Smash almost always guarantees that something's gonna die). Aggron's also very dedicated to this team, akin to Linus's loyalty to Lloyd and Brendan, and compassion towards his step-sister, Nino (<3).
---
emespr248.png
Lloyd.png
"In the name of the Fang, I sentence you to death. Do not blame me for your fate. It is your own doing."

----
Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Scarf *** Lloyd Reed
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
RockIC_Big.png
- Stone Edge
DarkIC_Big.png
- Crunch
DarkIC_Big.png
- Pursuit
GroundIC_Big.png
- Earthquake
---
Tyranitar is notorious for its tendency to punish careless players by either trapping or killing one of their valuable team members. Aggron really appreciates fast(er) powerhouses out of the way as well as sandstorm support so it can tank uninvested special attacks and continue its rampage. That being said, Tyranitar is my most reliable option against CM Jirachi (Heatran gets stalled out of Overheat eventually and +1 Thunderbolts sting a bit), SD Lucario, Gengar, and LO Heatran. It also cleans pretty well given that faster pokes and Scarfers have all been taken care of. Despite its many benefits to my team, however, Tyranitar tends to stay hidden unless I really, really need something out of play.

Why Tyranitar?

Speed and Pursuit were top priority for this slot due to Starmie and Gengar constantly trolling my team without much punishment from entry hazards (Recover, Pain Split...). My choices where limited to ScarfZor, Heracross, and ScarfTar, as they have very little trouble trapping Ghosts and Psychics due to their natural bulk, decent speed when given a scarf, and access to a powerful Pursuit (Guts in Hera's case). Scizor and its trademark U-turn combined with entry hazard support sounded great on paper, but was a bit underwhelming in practice, forcing my team to lose a Pokemon against the likes of LOTran and NP Infernape before they could be revenged by it. Heracross's case was the same during the short time that I used it, only it required much more prediction to use without U-turn to keep the momentum going for my team. I tried ScarfTar multiple times, and it did its job pretty well. Starmie nor Gengar were problems to my team, and obligatory Fire-types became no trouble for my team at all.

EVs and moveset?

It's ScarfTar. Oh, I need a description here? Max Speed to beat base 115s and tie with +1 Jolly Tyranitar, Earthquake >>>> Superpower in order to break Jirachi and Metagross.

Thinking about changes?

Tyranitar is an invaluable asset to this team, providing sandstorm and Pursuit support as well as a much more reliable answer to Heatran; i.e, Tyranitar doesn't hinder my team much with sandstorm and removes a lot of pressure from Gyarados's back. I can't really see myself replacing it anytime soon. Regarding its moveset, I'm thinking about switching to DD in order to take advantage of the holes that Aggron opens up, but then my team wouldn't really have an answer to offensive Celebi, Lucario, or (fast) Jirachi.

Name Association

Contrary to his brother, Linus, Lloyd is a very level-headed, calm person, taking no hesitation to carry out orders given to him by his father. Tyranitar, as opposed to Aggron, doesn't just spam its STAB in order to dispatch of incoming threats. Rather, Tyranitar has to be played carefully in order to prevent becoming setup fodder for Gyarados, Dragonite, Lucario, and opposing Tyranitar.

Conclusion

This team has been pretty good to me. It was fun to build, got my CRE on SB1 to a decent number, and of course, was very fun to use given that I played it correctly. 5th gen's metagame has taken my eye unfortunately, so it's very rare that I use this team at all these days; however, 4th gen isn't over yet and I do plan on using this team in the future as well, so any suggestions are welcome. It might be good to mention that this team managed to get me pretty high on the TU leaderboards after using it for a couple of days (FUCKING TEST in case anyone's wondering). Overall though, using Aggron in OU was very fun from my experience - it never gets old to see stall teams get destroyed by it - and I hope to troll the metagame of 5th gen with another underrated threat.

Defensive Threats:

242.png
Blissey:
Gyarados can switch into an incoming status move while Heatran can switch into predicted Flamethrowers / Ice Beams and Taunt Blissey. Aggron is the only Pokemon on my team capable of OHKOing Blissey after a bit of residual damage, doesn't really mind taking para, and is immune to Toxic. Tyranitar can work in a pinch due to Stone Edge 2HKOing some variants and the defense drops from Crunch.

437.png
Bronzong:
Bronzong can be a bit frustrating at times because it's pretty hard to take down; however, I do have a few solutions to dealing with it. Heatran, the most obvious choice, can switch into anything bar Earthquake and KO with Overheat, but then I have to beware of becoming setup fodder for half of OU. I won't want to drop Rotom's Scarf JUST to cripple Bronzong, but that's an option for me as well. Bronzong also has a bit of trouble switching into Aggron multiple times since Head Smash does 39.6% - 46.7% to the standard tank variant.

251.png
Celebi:
Defensive Celebi get shut down by Roserade and Heatran, but the occasional Psychic / Earth Power can be a bit annoying. Leech Seed and Baton Pass variants have a bit of trouble dealing with Tyranitar as well as the aforementioned Pokemon.

488.png
Cresselia:
An uncommon, but pretty minor defensive threat. First off, sandstorm places a huge rock in Cresselia's longevity, as Moonlight becomes much easier to stall out. RestTalk variants on the other hand, are pretty tricky to deal with given that they're running Ice and Charge Beam in the remaining slots. Heatran is usually my best to dealing with Cresselia because without the ability to heal itself (or spread para around for that matter) Cresselia will eventually fall to Overheat. CM Cresselia is even less common, but Tyranitar and Heatran can check it while Gyarados has no problem phazing it out.

232.png
Donphan:
With Gyarados and Rotom in the wings, Donphan doesn't pose much of a threat to this team. It's also pretty fun to prey on its low Special Defense with Roserade and Heatran.

477.png
Dusknoir:
Gyarados, once again, can take on this defensive threat with very little effort, only fearing Thunderpunch. Heatran can snag a Flash Fire boost aimed at another member of my team and OHKO with Overheat; Tyranitar and Aggron can switch into predicted Shadow Sneaks and pick Dusknoir off with their respective STAB given that it's been weakened a bit.

205.png
Forretress:
Rotom blocks Rapid Spin with ease and can reduce the damage from Payback with Will-o-Wisp; Roserade makes for a magnificent lure for Forretress with HP Fire. If Forry's leading, Heatran can completely shut it down with Taunt and Overheat.

472.png
Gliscor:
Rotom is my best bet to beating it, but it's extremely reliable at doing so with Hydro Pump, HP Ice, and Trick.

130.png
Gyarados:
Aggron and Roserade can switch into RestTalk Gyarados, taking little damage from Waterfall, and do their respective jobs. Rotom laughs at Waterfall, and can threaten Gyarados with an OHKO from Thunderbolt.

450.png
Hippowdon:
Rotom and Gyarados laugh at Hippowdon, as it has to decide between racking up damage with Roar, or taking a SE attack from either. Roserade can force it out for free Spikes or go for the 2HKO with Energy Ball; Aggron can 2HKO with Aqua Tail after a couple layers of Spikes are down. Heatran can usually bring Hippowdon down with Overheat on a double / predicted switch. Stockpile Hippowdon gets walled to death by Rotom and Gyarados as well.

485.png
Heatran:
Tyranitar checks offensive variants with little trouble while Gyarados has no problem switching into and immediately threatening defensive Heatran.

385.png
Jirachi:
Heatran can KO Wish + CM Jirachi at +1 and Tyranitar can finish off weakened ones. Gyarados, Aggron, and Heatran can check physical Jirachi very well becase they take very little damage from Iron Head and don't mind potential status (Heatran isn't that fond of para, but it can work with it).

479.png
Rotom-A: Roserade can take on nearly any variant of Rotom and either get a free turn to set up Spikes, or the chance to cripple something with Stun Spore. Tyranitar can trap offensive variants very easily and Aggron can smash through any variant of Rotom given that Will-o-Wisp nor Hydro Pump are present.

227.png
Skarmory:
Heatran and Rotom can threaten Skarmory with an immediate OHKO, and Aggron can prevent it from switching in safely due to Head Smash 2HKOing all variants. Gyarados can Roar before it Whirlwinds and Roserade can 2HKO physically defensive Skarmory with HP Fire.

143.png
Snorlax:
Gyarados dominates Snorlax with Intimidate and Roar. Heatran walls Curse variants that run Crunch / Return while Rotom has no problem stopping Return / Earthquake Snorlax. CB can be a bit frustrating to deal with, but Gyarados has no trouble switching into predicted Earthquakes and Aggron can take advantage of Pursuit.

245.png
Suicune:
Happily enough, defensive Suicune are handled very well by the rest of my team. Gyarados can Roar before 0 Spe Suicune, Roserade walls the mono-attacker and can threaten it with Energy Ball, and Aggron outpaces and 2HKOes with Head Smash. Rotom can revenge +1 Suicune if I'm down to that option.

260.png
Swampert:
Gyarados and Rotom are my best checks to most Swampert with a faster Roar and Trick. Roserade, while it can't switch into Earthquake or Ice Punch safely, can scare Swampert away with its Grass STAB, allowing for a free turn for status or Spikes. Heatran makes a fantastic lure for most Swampert, effectively OHKOing variants that don't invest in Special Defense with HP Grass.

073.png
Tentacruel:
Tentacruel can't touch Rotom without Hydro Pump, and Roserade can absorb any layers of Toxic Spikes that get set up. Tyranitar can switch into anything but Surf and KO Tentacruel with Earthquake.

134.png
Vaporeon:
Roserade loves Ice Beam-less Vaporeon while Gyarados can deal with variants that don't run HP Electric well. Rotom is usually my secondary check to Vaporeon in the event that neither Gyarados nor Roserade can deal with it. Aggron works as a last minute check to Vaporeon under sandstorm due to it being faster and Head Smash 2HKOing.

145.png
Zapdos:
Tyranitar and Heatran check defensive Zapdos very well. Both can switch in, outpace 36 Spe Zapdos, and OHKO with their respective STAB attacks.

Offensive Threats:

482.png
Azelf:
If I see Azelf, more than likely it's leading. Heatran can break its sash with Overheat and switch to Rotom in order to take the Explosion; I might even switch Tyranitar in and Crunch if I'm feeling confident. CB Azelf always explodes on Heatran, but I still have Spikes support from Roserade to fall back on regarding entry hazards. DS Azelf under Light Screen gets 2HKOed by Overheat, restricting it to setting up Stealth Rock, Taunting Heatran, or setting up Reflect.

286.png
Breloom:
Breloom and his bullshit strike again, but my team is very well prepared for it. Gyarados can take Spore and place Breloom at -1, Roserade resists both of Breloom's STABs and can 2HKO with Hidden Power, Rotom can break Breloom's subs with Hidden Power and doesn't really mind taking a -1 Seed Bomb, and Heatran can revenge Breloom if it's not under a Substitute. Aggron outpaces and 2HKOes SubSeed Breloom with Head Smash, Roserade is immune to Leech Seed at takes 40%~ from Focus Punch, and Gyarados can phaze Breloom out with Roar. SD Breloom is bit more of a bitch to handle, but Mach Punch doesn't OHKO Heatran at +1, Rotom has almost no trouble revenging it given that SOME damage as taken place, and Roserade can take anything but Stone Edge can KO Breloom back with HP Fire.

149.png
Dragonite:
Gyarados and Tyranitar can take a Draco Meteor for MixNite and Rest off the damage or OHKO Dragonite. Offensive DDNite on the other hand can set up on Heatran with ease, but without a crit or Outrage, it won't get past Rotom or Gyarados; Bulky DDNite are much easier to handle due to the lack of raw power. Aggron can take out mono-attacking Dragonite, or Dragonite locked into Outrage with very little trouble.

051.png
Dugtrio:
Dugtrio can effectively trap and kill most of my team, but can't switch into anything other than Pursuit from Tyranitar.

466.png
Electivire:
Rotom has the tools to render Electivire useless; Rotom can switch into and take just about anything from Electivire, and Hydro Pump 2HKOes. Tyranitar can pick off Electivire without a speed boost.

330.png
Flygon:
Gyarados and Rotom, once again, take on the job of checking an offensive threat. Both resist U-turn, are immune to Earthquake, and can threaten Flygon in some manner. If Flygon decides to lock itself into Outrage, Aggron has no problem switching in and KOing it with Ice Punch. Mixed Flygon slightly less of a threat than mixed Dragonite, but are deal with in the same manner.

475.png
Gallade:
I have never seen Gallade outside of the lead position, so a quick switch to Gyarados in order to take the Close Combat usually works.

094.png
Gengar:
Man I hate when Gengar switches in. SubSplit Gengar are the most common variant, but my team deals with it pretty well. Roserade is usually my first switch in to Gengar if my current Pokemon can't risk getting KOed, as it can take a Shadow Ball and break Gengar's subs with HP Fire, allowing for an easy revenge kill by Tyranitar. LO and MysticGar on the other hand, give me a much harder time because they have more than enough coverage to plow through 5/6 of my Pokes; however, they're dealt with using the same method used to bring down SubSplit Gengar.

130.png
Gyarados:
Rotom is usually my best (and only) check to offensive Gyarados while my own Gyarados works as a decent backup with Roar. I haven't really had a problem with Gyarados unless I play Rotom horribly because it can't really find any time to set up on my team other than the occasional Earthquake from Tyranitar, and even then, I still have Rotom to pick it off with Thunderbolt.

485.png
Heatran:
Tyranitar and Gyarados can switch into LO or SubTran multiple times and nail it with Earthquake and Waterfall.

214.png
Heracross:
Choiced Heracross, which are really all that I see these days, are checked very well by Gyarados due to Intimidate softening Hera up a bit; Rotom also works, but its only means of really damaging Heracross is Thunderbolt. SD Heracross can be a tad... frustrating to deal with, but Rotom nor Tyranitar really have a problem revenging it. Status + Orb variants dealt with in the same manner, but they're much easier to wear down.

392.png
Infernape:
Gyarados laughs at everything but Stone Edge, which is almost never Infernape's opening move. It can be frustrating at times, but Infernape is otherwise pretty easy to deal with once I know its moveset.

135.png
Jolteon:
Roserade sponges and can spread the love, er, I mean para with Stun Spore. Tyranitar, while not the best check, can take Jolteon out with a timely Pursuit or just wreck its shit with Earthquake.

230.png
Kingdra: Gyarados has no trouble phazing DD Kingdra, and Aggron can take Kingdra out in the event that it locks itself into Outrage. Roserade and Rotom can beat Rain Dance variants of Kingdra; Tyranitar blows away any rain that gets set up with Sand Stream.

448.png
Lucario:
Lucario is always so much fun to play against, as I usually have to play my team very carefully. Gyarados can take a +2 Close Combat after one switch in to SR and KO back with Waterfall and LO recoil. However, Gyarados is then deadweight unless my opponent has nothing faster with a KOing move. Rotom and Tyranitar can scare Lucario away if Crunch and Bullet Punch, respectively, aren't present on it. AgiliLuke actually sweeps a larger portion of my team if given the chance to set up, but gets outright raped by Gyarados and Rotom.

068.png
Machamp:
Fun fact: Did you know that Machamp's penis, alone, is responsible for billion's of deaths, including those numerous of kittens? If that wasn't enough to surprise you, then you should know that, without a ridiculous amount of luck, Machamp isn't that much of a threat to my team. RestTalk Machamp without Stone Edge are checked very easily by Gyarados, and those with Stone Edge or Ice Punch over Payback get raped by Rotom. SubChamp can't really set up on anything other than Tyranitar, and even then, I have Gyarados to phaze it out (or break its sub) and Rotom to Trick Sub-less Machamp. Heatran can revenge most Machamp with Overheat and Aggron can deter it from switching in with a 2HKO from Head Smash.

462.png
Magnezone:
Roserade has no problem switching into and setting up on Magnezone, HP Fire or not. Tyranitar can take a few hits from Magnezone and fire back with a faster Earthquake. Heatran is also one of the few Steel-types that have no problem switching into Magnezone.

473.png
Mamoswine:
I never hesitate to switch Rotom in whenever I see one of these things due to it being immune to its main STAB and able to OHKO Mamoswine with ease. Gyarados also works well when checking Mamo, but I tend keep it away in fear of Stone Edge.

376.png
Metagross:
AgiliGross is definitely the most threatening set to this team, but, as with Infernape, becomes much easier to deal with once I know its moveset. Without Thunderpunch, Gyarados can switch in and waste away at Metagross's HP with Waterfall; Metagross that lack Zen Headbutt have to deal with Rotom and Roserade if I'm lucky; finally, without Earthquake, Aggron and Heatran can switch into Metagross without much punishment and OHKO it with the correct SE attack. Lead Metagross are dealt with pretty easily by Heatran and Rotom.

474.png
Porygon-Z:
Pretty easy to deal with, but pretty rare in my experience. Whenever I see Porygon-Z however, I take no hesitation switching Tyranitar in to absorb the Thunderbolt / Tri Attack / Dark Pulse / Ice Beam. Given that sandstorm is up, Aggron can switch into most of Porygon-Z's moveset and take advantage of the free chance to fire off Head Smash. PlotSub Porygon-Z gets raped by coverage problems.

407.png
Roserade:
I always switch Gyarados into lead Roserade in order to take the sleep, switch back to Heatran for free SR, and then to my own Roserade so it can absorb Toxic Spikes and get up a layer or two of Spikes for my team. Spikes Roserade are a bit more difficult to handle because of Stun Spore, but I don't take any hesitation switching Heatran in due to its already low Speed.

212.png
Scizor:
Scizor can't switch into any Pokemon on my team, barring Tyranitar of course, without getting walled out just outright wrecked. Gyarados, Rotom, and Heatran can deal with SD Scizor while Roserade works as a fantastic lure for just about any variant.

492.png
Shaymin: LO Shaymin is a bit tricky to deal with, but can be worn down by Roserade and hopefully picked off by Tyranitar. Leech Seed Shaymin gets outright walled by Heatran given that it's running HP Fire > Earth Power; Roserade can easily take on Shaymin that don't carry HP Fire.

245.png
Suicune:
Offensive CM Suicune is a fun threat to take on. Rotom, even though it exchanges blows with Suicune, can easily outpace and 2HKO it at +1. Gyarados's only fear is HP Electric, which only OHKOes at +1 after SR damage, so it can work as a check if I'm desperate.

121.png
Starmie:
Starmie is dealt with pretty easily. Roserade resists two of its primary attacks, takes 67% max from an LO Ice Beam, and can KO back with Energy Ball. Rotom switch in and OHKO if I manage to predict anything other than Hydro Pump, and Tyranitar can option rape Starmie with Pursuit.

468.png
Togekiss:
Once upon a time, Togekiss was a good Pokemon. Whenever I see one, Gyarados always the first switch in to take para; Gyarados is pretty effective when it comes to checking 0 Spe Togekiss if I don't get buttraped by hax. Tyranitar and Aggron can revenge Togekiss if needed and Roserade can render it mostly useless with Stun Spore.

248.png
Tyranitar:
DDTar is another huge threat to my team, and sets up pretty easily on my own Tyranitar; I usually have to scrap Gyarados in order to soften Tyranitar up so I can revenge it. Rotom can revenge Tyranitar as well if I can damage it a bit. Choiced Tyranitar are dealt with pretty easily by Aggron actually, as he resists both of Tyranitar's STAB and can outpace most CBTar.

461.png
Weavile:
I honestly find it funny how badly SD Weavile fucks my team up. Expert Belt Weavile can be a bit troublesome as well, but, lol, good luck switching in.

145.png
Zapdos:
Tyranitar can switch into most of LO Zapdos's moveset and OHKO with Stone Edge while Rotom can wear Zapdos down with a combination of Thunderbolt and sandstorm damage.

This looks like a very well-built team; good job! Any suggestions I might give would probably hurt the team more than they would help. If I have anything to say, it would be to use a more sturdy Grass-type, like Celebi, but then you would lose those all-important Spikes, and I don't know what to replace to put Spikes on this team. I would also suggest using Rock Polish Aggron over CB Aggron; you mentioned a few times that pokemon like Starmie can take advantage of Aggron's low speed. RP Aggron can help remedy that speed problem, but CB does have that incredibly powerful Head Smash, which can help a lot against stall teams. As I said, I don't know what improvements I can make without messing up the entire team. Great job!

I have a very acute memory of being 5-0'd by this team, without you even playing Aggron!
First, I too have a FE fetish, we should hang out some time! It's a very solid team, although I see that most of your top threats are from set up sweepers, I feel like a 2nd phazer could be useful. Vaporeon (Nino) might be something to look in to.
Just the standard Wish Vaporeon could work, or maybe Hidden Power flying, to hit grass types and fighting types? It would be unconventional, but possibly useful.

Also, Rotom H acutely reminds me of Ephidel, he's annoying, stays alive, seemingly invulnerable, and has a bunch of others (the team) around to help him.

This is a pretty cool team! I've rarely used Aggron in OU, so I can't attest much to its effectiveness, but it fortunately seems to be working out pretty well for you. I've got a couple of quick, minor suggestions that I think could help his team out. First of all, I think that having two RestTalkers (Rotom-H and Gyarados) is probably unnecessary. Switching to Scarf Rotom-W as you have stated would definitely be worth trying out; although this variant of Rotom-W is quite vulnerable to Pursuit, it easily patches up problems with opposing Gyarados and Dragonite, while not detracting from the offensive pace of your team. A moveset of Thunderbolt / Hydro Pump / Hidden Power Ice / Trick would be a good choice, as it would give you a powerful STAB move, a Water attack to deter Tyranitar switch-ins, a way of revenge killing DD Dragonite, and a weapon to cripple special walls, respectively. Even if you do get trapped by Pursuit, Aggron will at least get a free setup opportunity on what is probably a choice-locked Tyranitar. Finally, you may want to consider trying out Grass Knot and Rest on Roserade. The former is generally a more powerful Grass-type move in OU than Energy Ball is, while the latter boosts Roserade's durability, allowing it to survive later to set up more entry hazards. This does leave Roserade more open to Infernape switch-ins, but this shouldn't be much of a problem considering you have Gyarados and potentially Scarf Rotom-W to deal with Infernape.

Good luck!

I see no reason why you don't have a scarfed Rotom-W over your current rest talk Rotom-h, since you already have Gyarados as a status absorber. A scarf Rotom-W would really benefit your team significantly. First of all, it does good damage to Gliscor, which, as you stated already, tears your team apart. It also can revenge kill both SD and NP Ape, both of which can be troublesome to your team, and you forgot to mention them in your threat list. +2 Grass knot OHKOes Gyarados after SR iirc, or at least comes pretty darn close.

With Rotom-W being your primary scarfer, I would also recommend you to use a DD Tyranitar over Scarf Tar. Since both Tyranitar and Aggron are physical attackers, one can weaken the opponents physical walls enough so that the other one can come in late game and have an easy sweep. Spikes + SR can help this even more, since both Swampert and Hippowdon take good damage from spikes. DD Tyranitar would also work well with CB Aggron seeing as how easily Tyranitar lures Scizor into bullet punching, so then you can just switch in Aggron to take the bullet punch which does pitiful damage, and then fire off a powerful Head Smash as they switch. The only thing stopping both DD Tyranitar and Aggron is probably Gliscor, since its immune to spikes. But then you can just switch in Rotom-W for free since its obviously going to EQ, and then OHKO it with Hydro pump.

Good team, props for successfully using Aggron in the OU tier.

Thanks for the rates and suggestions, everyone! I tried most of the changes out and edited the OP wherever needed.

@Faladran - I went ahead and swapped Rotom out for a Scarfed variant and added Grass Knot > Energy Ball on Roserade, but Rest didn't really come in handy and I often found myself placing more pressure on Gyarados due to Heatran getting in for practically free.

@cco - I'll try Vaporeon out if Gyarados becomes a bit dull, but yeah, the only Pokemon on this team that can use and will appriciate Wish support is Rotom. If Aggron switches in, it's usually on a double switch, revenge kill, or a resist, so I doubt that it's going to be taking THAT much damage. Regarding Rotom's name, Ephidel wasn't resurrected as a morph in Light, so I didn't really consider him when making this team. You make a good point, though

@AlphaJolt - Good to see that I'm not the only FE7 fan here ^_^ (Sealed Sword is my fav though)

@BlisseyofDoom - =<

@lucas - I tried out DDTar and immediately found myself going back to ScarfTar for a more reliable check to Lucario and Starmie. I'll keep it in mind, though, because this team does lack a good cleaner.

Hello Chillarmy,

Cool team. It already very solid. One minor suggestion that I have is you are reasonably weak to Dragon Dance Dragonite. Rest Talk Gyarados is logically you're best answer but it is easily 2HKOed after Dragon Dance if I recall since you dont have a Rapid Spinner. To help with this issue, I believe that making Rotom-a a Scarf Varient would be beneficial. It will allow you to revenge Pokemon that Scarf Tyranitar cannot handle like DD Dragonite and Gyarados with Stone Edge. Other than that, I think the team is a high quality one.

Good Luck!

It's official then, Rotom remains as a scarfed variant.

Regarding RP Aggron, I tried it out, and faced the same problem that I had with DDTar; I honestly preferred Aggron being an immediate rather than setting up in order to make it threatening.

Back