BW RU Blue Hail

Introduction

Hail is the only permanent weather in RU, which means that if you have Snover, your team will almost always have an advantage. The team originally started out as a BlizzSpam team with Glaceon and Jynx and a core that attempted to cover a lot of the metagame's threats. Since then, I've made so many edits that I can't even remember the teambuilding process. The only two that have stayed on the team since the beginning are Snover and Glaceon. It is obvious as to why Snover remained, but Glaceon has stayed because it is such an effective Choice Scarf user, having the highest Special Attack in RU and the hardest hitting Blizzard. It is better than Rotom-F and Jynx in the sense that it is bulkier and can heal through Ice Body. This doesn't sound like much of a difference, but it actually makes Glaceon a lot more effective than its Ice-type rivals.

In short, the rest of the team consists of a core that covers most of the important metagame threats and is able to wear down Glaceon's checks and counters. Through hail, status, Stealth Rock, and Blizzards / Druddigon's high powered attacks, I can usually wear down the opponents team so that Glaceon can sweep late-game. This team is one of the most successful balance teams I've built since my first RMT, so I'm glad to share it with you all.

Snover @ Focus Sash
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SAtk
Mild Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Protect
- Ice Shard

Snover not only brings the necessary weather to the team, but it also plays the important role of wearing down opposing Pokemon and providing death fodder so I can take less risks. I never lead with Snover against teams with Cinccino and Escavalier for this reason, as it is valuable beyond providing hail. Snover's Blizzard is surprisingly powerful, and helps to wear down Fire-types such as Typhlosion and Emboar which I don't really have a solid switch in to. Giga Drain is very useful against Water-types that Glaceon struggles against, such as Lanturn (who Snover walls), Poliwrath, and Walrein. Protect not only allows Snover to scout the opponent's move, but allows hail to do an extra 6% to an opposing Pokemon. Ice Shard also allows Snover to pick off weakened foes such as Galvantula and Accelgor. The damage that Snover can do is much appreciated by the rest of the team. When Snover's job is finally done, I can sacrifice it to get Glaceon in safely. Snover's abilities in RU should not be underestimated and it should not be considered a waste of a teamslot on any hail team.

Glaceon @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Ice Body
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Shadow Ball
- Frost Breath

Choice Scarf Glaceon is one of the most powerful and effective Choice Scarf users in the tier. It outspeeds everything unboosted up to Swellow, which is very useful. Barely anything can take Glaceon's Blizzards, and the rest of the team handily takes care of the Pokemon that can. Glaceon can use Hidden Power Ground to weaken Lanturn and revenge kill threats like Kabutops and Fire-types, which it has a very easy time doing since this set [used to be] quite unexpected. Shadow Ball gets good neutral coverage on certain cores, and can wear down weakened Slowking and Cryogonal while getting an occasional Special Defense drop. Frost Breath was one of the last changes I made to the team. I was using Baton Pass to act like a pseudo U-turn, but I never really used it since choosing Blizzard was almost always more beneficial. Frost Breath mainly allows me to beat Calm Mind Spiritomb or Cosmic Power Sigilyph in a pinch if they get a lot of boosts. Glaceon has many opportunities to sweep late-game and this is usually how my games end. If you read further, you will see how the rest of the team helps Glaceon acquire these opportunities.

Druddigon @ Leftovers
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Druddigon brings a ton of key resistances to the team, as well as Stealth Rock. Through Stealth Rock, hail, Rough Skin, and Druddigon's powerful attacks, Druddigon does an amazing job at wearing down the opponent's team. I can use it to check troublesome Fire and Water types which usually wall Glaceon. Druddigon is the second best Pokemon for wearing down opposing teams, as almost nothing can switch into its Outrage. I use Fire Punch in the last slot because in the early stages of the team, I was weak to Escavalier. I have no problems dealing with Tangrowth and Steelix, so Flamethrower is unnecessary.

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Circle Throw
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Poliwrath is one of the best Escavalier counters, and unlike something like Rotom, actually walls a significant portion of the physical attackers in RU. Poliwrath helps against Aggron, Durant, Absol, Kabutops, Entei, and Emboar, who would all be a major threat to this team without Poliwrath. Some of the biggest threats to Glaceon, including Escavalier, Cryogonal, and Entei / Emboar, get beaten by Poliwrath, and will be worn down easily because they very rarely carry a recovery move (except for Cryo) or are weak to Stealth Rock. Poliwrath can rack up damage with Circle Throw or burn things with Scald, two very valuable assets to the team. Poliwrath also has good longevity with Rest and Sleep Talk, allowing him to continuously burn with Scald and phaze with Circle Throw.

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Foul Play
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Will-O-Wisp

Gallade is one of the biggest threats to hail teams, and Spiritomb is one of the few Pokemon that can beat it. With a specially defensive EV spread, it can beat many special attackers in the tier, most importantly Psychic-types such as SubCM Uxie and Slowking. Spiritomb also provides useful resistances to Fighting and Normal type moves, so the team doesn't have to worry about Bouffalant or Medicham as much. Surprisingly, Spiritomb also helps with wearing down Glaceon's checks. Most people don't expect Foul Play, which does quite a bit to Escavalier, Entei, and Emboar. Will-O-Wisp is very useful in crippling physical attackers like Feraligatr, and it also helps to weaken opposing Pokemon such as Nidoqueen and Qwilfish. RestTalk adds longevity to the set, allowing it to stay alive in order to beat Slowking, which is one of the most important Pokemon for this team to take down. Spiritomb can also spinblock against Cryogonal, which helps to put pressure on the opposing team. The most overlooked aspect of Spiritomb is its ability Pressure. This team struggles against fully defensive teams with multiple Glaceon counters. Due to the defensive nature of this team as well, Spiritomb can PP stall opposing Pokemon as a last resort. I've had two battles over 100 turns and a couple of other long ones, and Spiritomb won the battle for me in all of them due to its ability. This is what I usually have to do against Walrein as well.

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 68 SDef / 24 Spd
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Blizzard
- Toxic
- Recover

Surprisingly, my hail team was manhandled by Nidoqueen. Cryogonal was thus added to the team and EV'd to beat it. Cryogonal's biggest use besides checking Nidoqueen is Toxic, which allows me to win more easily against Slowking, Alomomola, and opposing Cryogonal. Glaceon can usually win against these Pokemon if they are poisoned. Cryogonal also provides the invaluable Rapid Spin. If the opponent loses their hazard user and Cryogonal gets rid of Stealth Rock, my team will have a huge advantage in that I will be able to switch around much more freely.

Threat List

• Accelgor is one of the few Pokemon that can outspeed Glaceon. It can also do a ton of damage to the rest of my team if it is weakened. Unless Spiritomb is at full health and not asleep, Accelgor is really hard to deal with late-game.

• Moltres is very threatening to the team and will usually get a KO if it comes in on something like Cryogonal. Glaceon can revenge kill it though, but otherwise it is necessary to keep Stealth Rock on the field until Moltres goes down.

• Walrein can not be worn down by Glaceon no matter what. It has Substitute to block status and recovers everything I try to throw at it with Ice Body. I usually have to force it out by PP stalling it with Spiritomb or somehow poison it with Cryogonal.

• Choice Scarf Braviary and other birds that can outspeed Glaceon like Swellow are quite troublesome. Even though they will get worn down by hail, Stealth Rock, and Brave Bird recoil, they will still end up doing a ton of damage to the team.

• Choice Specs Typhlosion is somewhat troublesome because it can nearly 2HKO Druddigon and weaken Poliwrath. I need to play very carefully around it with Snover and Drudd / Poli to win.

A little over a year ago, I started actively participating in Smogon's community, specifically in the RarelyUsed tier. I never thought that I would still be enjoying it a year later. I'm not making this RMT only for celebration of my 1000th post, I'm making it because I really love using this team and because it represents my growth as a player. Thanks to everyone who has been a part of my time on Smogon!

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi Dittocrow! congrats on your 1K ^_^! I initially didnt know how to rate this team because it was so solid already, so i just gave you a luvdisc and moved on, but i ended up building a hail balance team that was pretty similar to yours so i thought i'd give you some advice :o.

Have you ever considered trying Specially Defensive Regirock in Druddigon's slot? You mentioned that your team struggles with Moltres, Scarf Braviary, and Typhlosion, all of which have major trouble breaking through Regirock thanks to its ridiculous bulk and decent typing. Regirock still sets up Stealth Rock just like Druddigon, and spreads paralysis as well, while also providing you with a second physical tank to take hits if Poliwrath is weakened, definitely worth a shot imo.

Of course running Regirock does leave you more open to offensive Grass-types such as Sceptile and Lilligant, but Glaceon is able to revenge kill Sceptile in a pinch if needed (outruns by like 2 points lol), while Lilligant can be neutered by using Haze on Cryogonal. With Haze on Cryogonal you can just sacrifice an unneeded team member to Lilligant's Sleep Powder, and then go to Cryogonal and erase the Quiver Dance boosts while taking very little in return, you even have the perfect fodder in the form of Snover :o. Haze Cryogonal also deals with Cosmic Power Sigilyph and Crotomb pretty handily, freeing up a moveslot on Glaceon for whatever you want really (possibly even Sleep Talk for yet another option for sleep fodder!!!).

To combat Accelgor more effectively and also make up for the lack of Toxic on Cryogonal, i'd recommend trying a Choice Band or Blackglasses Spiritomb over your current specially defensive set. Choice Band Spiritomb can utilize Shadow Sneak to effectively revenge kill Accelgor, especially when taking the residual damage from Stealth Rock, hail, and Life Orb into account, and if you think you can predict it, can nail Accelgor on the switch in with Pursuit, eliminating it from the match. What's more? Choice Band Spiritomb also makes dealing with Slowking and Cryogonal quite a bit easier, as it can trap both of them with pursuit and do quite a bit of damage even if they stay in, or use Trick on them in a desperation tactic to lock them into an undesirable move and steal away their leftovers recovery, making them easier to wear down. Aside from these specialized roles, Spiritomb functions effectively as a general revenge killer with its dual priority and access to Trick, so its not dead weight otherwise.

summary of changes: Specially Defensive Regirock Druddigon / Haze Toxic Cryogonal / Choice Band or Blackglasses Spiritomb Defensive Spiritomb

Regirock @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Wave / Fire Punch (if you really hate Escavalier)
- Earthquake

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 68 SDef / 24 Spd
Calm Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Blizzard
- Haze
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Spiritomb @ Choice Band / Blackglasses
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Trick / Return / Will-O-Wisp

(screw walrein tho)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)