Walrus Brainpanic's Weebrus [FINISHED - Thanks for participating!]

Third Reveal: (7 & 10) 70s & 2000s

9 contestants subbed to 70s, while 14 contestants subbed to 2000s.

Category 7: 70s

This category's header is September by Earth, Wind & Fire. The bonus headers are Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John and Hold The Line by Toto.

9th Place
Submitted by Isa
Score: 7.9

Are “Friends” Electric? by Tubeway Army

I guess you could say the sound of the 80s actually began in ‘79. This tends to drag a bit.
8th Place
Submitted by gbs
Score: 8.0

O Pirata by Ave Sangria

I can’t tell if this is in mono or not. Nice guitar.
7th Place
Submitted by Owner
Score: 8.2

Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyardby Paul Simon

Those instruments are way too cheery for a song about getting sent to juvie by your parents.
6th Place
Submitted by MNIN
Score: 8.5

Oui je dis adieu by Françoise Hardy

The soundtrack of lounging on the beach at the French Riviera.
5th Place
Submitted by Aladyyn
Score: 8.6

Breadfan by Budgie

The shred of the 70s… it’s a little repetitive at first, but the solos, the tempo change, and those little bits of stereophonic vocals are pretty sweet.
4th Place
Submitted by Andy Snype
Score: 8.8

Can’t You Hear Me Knocking by The Rolling Stones

A great start to a great theme.
3rd Place
Submitted by Martin
Score: 9.0

Taiji no Yume by Yoshiko Sai

A piano, a beautiful voice... wait, is this disco? Is that why this song is so long? And as suddenly as it comes, it’s back to piano and a beautiful voice, accompanied by the guitar from before. Piano, disco, guitar, vocalization, some spoken word, eventually sent not quite careening out of control before coming back down to a dreamy outro. This is really interesting.
2nd Place
Submitted by Amy
Score: 9.2

La Villa Strangiato by Rush

I don’t mind the tape hiss. It’s not even noticeable save for a few spots. And I’m certainly not going to let it detract from the song.
1st Place
Submitted by Bloody
Score: 9.4

Getter Robo by Kageyama Hironobu

BrainpanSonata: yeah, manga titles are rarer the earlier in the timeline you go, so MAL starts the decades at 70s, when Tezuka and Go were in their heyday

Holy shit, I did not expect an OP from the 70s to slap this hard. This isn’t just Go Nagai’s heyday, it’s Kageyama Hironobu’s.

And our outro is Baba O'Riley by The Who.

Please enjoy this intermission between categories.

Category 10: 2000s

This category's header is East Jesus Nowhere by Green Day. The bonus header is Hare Hare Yukai.

14th Place
Submitted by Martin
Score: 7.8

Kaku Iu Mono by Mass of the Fermenting Dregs

Relentless and almost a little too much for me. That guitar pulls no punches. This score may seem insulting, but this almost set off my tinnitus.
13th Place
Submitted by termi

Gimme More by Britney Spears

I’m not really a clubbing man (not many nightclubs to be found in the Kansas backwaters...), but I can practically picture the club this is playing in.
12th Place
Submitted by Lectrys
Score: 8.3

X vs. Zero by Tanaka Naoto

Another vgm where I remember it mainly from GDQ.
11th Place
Submitted by 3cheers
Score: 8.7

Stockholm Syndrome by blink-182

While the 70s and 80s have their own defining sounds, later decades have a more wide and varied sound. This is more like the sound of the 2000s as I knew it back then.
Tied for 9th Place
Submitted by gbs

Dsco by Sweet Trip

Disco? In MY millenium? A little cacophonous, but otherwise groovy.
Tied for 9th Place
Submitted by Quas

Westbound Train by Quantic

Hmmm.... the glass bottles are a nice touch.
Tied for 7th Place
Submitted by silmarils
Score: 8.9

Miss Murder by AFI

Well, now I think I wanna hear the long version.
Tied for 7th Place
Submitted by t om

The Vowels, Pt. 2 by Why?

Why? Well, why the hell not?
Tied for 5th Place
Submitted by Amy

Point/Counterpoint by Streetlight Manifesto

I’m having flashbacks to the ska cat blowout. Maybe my next walrus uses that anti-pandering idea I came up with.
Tied for 5th Place
Submitted by Egix

Black and Gold by Sam Sparro

Once those breakbeats kick in, it’s like mmm.
4th Place
Submitted by Owner
Score: 9.1

Drop The Phone by Shy Child

This is an interesting sound. Kinda like some sort of edm prototype. I dig it.
3rd Place
Submitted by shub-K

MIROTIC by TVXQ

I think I’ve heard this one before. This driving beat and the “under my skin” lyrics are very familiar. Must’ve come up on Pandora shuffle. No way I would’ve skipped it back then, and no way I’d skip it if it came up in the shuffle again.
2nd Place
Submitted by Energy
Score: 9.3

39 Thieves by Aesop Rock

That’s it, that’s it, I am SO doing Four on the Floor in the future.
1st Place
Submitted by Andy Snype

Jesus of Suburbia by Green Day

Three reveals in a row with Green Day subs… hahaha, is this gonna be the new moratorium? I stand by this song’s score, though. If you wanna fight about it, bring me more examples of prog punk and tell me why such innovation is nothing special.

And our outro is The Three of Us by Streetlight Manifesto.

Reveal complete!
Our current podium is, from first to third: gbsfranca, Lectrys, and 3cheersforidiots
Only one name left to add to the leaderboard. Will things shake up in rounds to come?

Next reveal is (5) Live. We’ll play a set on Saturday the 29th at 2pm CDT (7pm UTC).

Fourth Reveal: (5) Live

16 contestants subbed to Live. This reveal really should have happened last month and I apologize for the hiatus.

This category's header is Thunderstruck (Live at Donington) by AC/DC. The bonus headers are Anime Medley by Saigon Complex (provided by Bloody), In The End by Mike Shinoda (provided by Energy), and Destiny by Galneryus (provided by RaceBandit).

16th Place
Submitted by nutella
Score: 7.9

Lost River by Murder By Death

On first listen, it felt like parts of a whole crowded into a small room and shoving each other for some extra space to work in. It sounded more coalescent on subsequent listens, but in every playthrough it really seemed to come together around the three minute mark. I think I would enjoy the studio version, but hearing it live leaves me wanting.
15th Place
Submitted by shub-C

I’m Young I’m Young/No One Cares What You Think About by GoodBand

The audio has a very echoey quality to it. Not sure if that’s because of the equipment or the acoustics of the venue. But you were quite right when you told me the kazoo was good.
14th Place
Submitted by MNIN

Wave of Light by Takagi Masakatsu

This is like one of those situations where I’m dragged to a recital or a play I wasn’t really interested in and then I start to enjoy myself.
13th Place
Submitted by termi
Score: 8.4

Sindhu Bhairavi by Ravi Shankar & Ali Akbar Khan

t r a d i t i o n a l t e r m i l o n g s u b

So I tried to approach this 26 minute song in the most efficient way I could think of, by which I mean I played it in a background tab while making progress on my Ruby nuzlocke. It’s not a song I would typically seek out on my own, but it has moments where it slaps.
12th Place
Submitted by t om

Dancing On My Own by Calum Scott

I could have done without the extra footage (I’m trying to judge by the song here, not by the golden buzzer), but his voice is lovely.
11th Place
Submitted by Energy

Iris by Goo Goo Dolls

Iris, Iris, Iris. That’s all anyone ever talks about when Goo Goo Dolls gets brought up. Iris almost feels like a stumbling block to exploring the band in full, rather than the gateway song it should be. That mandolin, tho.
10th Place
Submitted by Aladyyn

Only You by Portishead

Very mellow vibe. I’ve been thinking about making a chill music playlist, and I’d consider adding this to that.
Tied for 8th Place
Submitted by Egix

Surfing with the Alien by Joe Satriani

If Marvel ever adds Silver Surfer to one of their phases, it would be a crime not to include this in the soundtrack.
Tied for 8th Place
Submitted by Lectrys

Santorini (Live at the Acropolis Version) by Yanni

Oh, this is that guy who does music for the Olympics. Sweet.
7th Place
Submitted by silmarils

Smother by Daughter

Almost confused this with Daughters. But that didn’t diminish my enjoyment in the least.
Tied for 4th Place
Submitted by Crux

Violin Concerto in D minor op.47 by Jean Sibelius and performed by Hilary Hahn & Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France

The timestamp may be imposing, but the music has a gravitas that implies such time is quite necessary. It seemed to me like the instrumental version of a three act opera, with Hahn as the mezzo soprano belting out arias and the orchestra acting as the chorus in the form of a noble’s court or some other assembly of importance. For the live reveal, I’ve chosen to play the third movement, Allegro ma non tanto, because of how vibrant and stirring it is.
Tied for 4th Place
Submitted by Logic

Halo by SOIL

I wonder if they've got Ozzfest in full on YouTube...
Tied for 4th Place
Submitted by shub-K

Tell Me by Wonder Girls

I never thought I’d say this in a category where you could practically send me a concert, but this is too damn short. I love it.
3rd Place
Submitted by Quas

Live at the JammJam in Los Angeles by MonoNeon & Ghost-Note

Well, hot damn, those are some hot licks.
2nd Place
Submitted by Amy

The Curtain by Snarky Puppy & Metropole Orkest

I thought with a 15 minute song, I’d try to get some crochet done, maybe fire up Pokemon White and see how fast I could get through the forest. Instead, I spent 15 minutes doing nothing but basking in the music.
1st Place
Submitted by Andy Snype

Nights in White Satin by Moody Blues

The Zeds Dead cover of this song is the exception to my opinion on nightcore. I love hearing the original, especially with this lush orchestral backing.
And our outro is Jigsaw by Gene Shinozaki

Another reveal done!
Our current podium is, from first to third: Lectrys, gbsfranca, and Egix96
Hail, hail, the gang’s all here. And gbs won’t be back to play until after two more cats go down. Who’s going to rise up and gun for the lead?

Next reveal is (13 & 14) 35 & 5+ Members. We’ll check out the one and the many on Tuesday 20th at 4pm CDT 9pm UTC).

Fifth Reveal: (13 & 14) 35+ & 5+ Members

13 contestants subbed to 35 or Older Solo Artist, while 15 contestants subbed to Band with 5 or More Members.

Category 13: 35+

This category's header is Keep Off The Lawn by Aesop Rock. The bonus header is The Devil Went Down to Georgia by Steve Ouimette.

13th Place
Submitted by Isa
Score: 7.4

I Want You To Love Me by Fiona Apple

Mayyyybe not the best song to send to someone with an ace pride flag on their MU sidebar. I liked the rhythm and the Amanda Palmer vibes, but the lyrics and the dolphin noises at the end were a swing and a miss.
12th Place
Submitted by Lectrys

Scherzo No. 3 in C Sharp Minor, Op. 39 by Frédéric Chopin and performed by Vladimir Ashkenazy

I find that the orchestral and other such instrumental pieces I enjoy most are ones that evoke a vivid imagery. For example, The Curtain from the last reveal reminded me of wandering through a busy city from sunset to sunrise. This… starts out like a bunch of suitcases falling down the side of a cliff. It feels like there’s some sort of story within it, but I can’t quite piece it together.
11th Place
Submitted by Crux

Chaconne from Partita No.2 in D Minor by Johannes Sebastian Bach and performed by Jascha Heifetz

I like this one more than the previous classical sub, but I’m still having trouble getting into a particular headspace with it.
10th Place
Submitted by Heal

Inverted Enlightenment by Aleah

I like her voice. The song itself is more placid than I was expecting.
9th Place
Submitted by Aladyyn

Runner by Laura Stevenson

I can dig it. Though my main thought here is Thingyman would probably dig it.
Tied for 7th Place
Submitted by Bloody

CHA-LA HEAD CHA-LA by Hironobu Kageyama

Ah, Toonami nostalgia. I remember judging a cover of this in my first walrus.
Tied for 7th Place
Submitted by Owner

Everyday (Coolin’) by Swizz Beatz ft. Eve

6th Place
Submitted by MNIN

Spotlight by Jessie Ware

A nice voice, a disco beat, the smooth glide of violins… and, uh, a brass band out of left field that I can’t really complain about. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5th Place
Submitted by Logic

The Times They Are A-Changin’ by Chris Cornell

There are points where I wish I could hear him over the shouting and whistling. This is brilliantly creative and the audience kinda ruins it a little.
4th Place
Submitted by Skook

Moonage Daydream by David Bowie

It’s subs like this that make me wonder if contestants are hotelling off my headers & outros list. I mean, yes, your taste in music is great, but are people playing chicken with Rule 4 or not? Tinfoil’s supposed to be for mafia, not walrus, kek.
3rd Place
Submitted by Quas

Writer’s Block by Fatlip

Hahahaha that's not a personal attack or anything… excuse me while I hit repeat again.
2nd Place
Submitted by Martin

Listen To What Adults Say by NakamuraEmi

She certainly brings the funk. The vocal effect on the bridge kinda scratches an unexpected itch.
1st Place
Submitted by Energy

Gopher Guts by Aesop Rock

See Skook’s writeup, except moreso.

And our outro is Fame by David Bowie.

Category 14: 5+ Members

This category's header is Devil’s Dance Floor by Flogging Molly.

15th Place
Submitted by Isa
Score: 7.2

Anthems for a Seventeen Year-Old Girl by Broken Social Scene

Idek what to make of that effect on the vocals. I think I'd prefer this as an instrumental.
14th Place
Submitted by Skook
Score: 8.1

The Musical Box by Genesis

A ten minute prog-scented journey that misses as much as it hits. The Mother Goose references fall a bit flat with me and a few of the riffs seem like harshness just for the sake of making you startle. I think I’d be immersed in this if it weren’t for those issues.
13th Place
Submitted by shub-K

Lion Heart by Sonyeo Sidae

A very MoTown vibe here.
12th Place
Submitted by 3cheers

City of Ocala by A Day To Remember

I’m actually rather familiar with this band. I haven’t listened to them much lately, but I’ve got a few of their albums tucked into an unmarked YouTube playlist.
11th Place
Submitted by nutella

Waiting Still by The Family Crest

This is kind of a banger.
Tied for 9th Place
Submitted by Amy

Marigold by Mother Falcon

A wall of sound that I kind of want to find some handholds in and just start climbing.
Tied for 9th Place
Submitted by Heal

A Solitary Reign by Amenra

A fine wall of shred.
Tied for 7th Place
Submitted by Bloody

Saga Jihen by Hololive

Well, now. I am digging Suisei’s powerhouse voice. Hololive sounding kinda chipmunky is dragging the score down a little, though.
Tied for 7th Place
Submitted by Energy

War by Sum 41 ft. Taka

Sometimes I wanna pull my hair out over you, but I gotta admit you have a good head for bops.
Tied for 5th Place
Submitted by Aladyyn

PIRI by Dreamcatcher

K-pop bands are a good choice for qualifying in this category. And songs like this one are a good choice for scoring high in this category.
Tied for 5th Place
Submitted by Andy Snype

Say You’ll Be There by Spice Girls

90s house party vibe says what?

90s house party vibe says “This theme of yours has really been working out for you. You really know how to pick ‘em.”
4th Place
Submitted by MNIN

Violeta by Iz*One

Okay, NOW we’re on the same wavelength.
3rd Place
Submitted by RB

The Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden

*happy metalhead noises*
2nd Place
Submitted by Crux

Serenade for piano sextet on themes from Bellini's "La sonnambula" in A flat major by Mikhail Glinka

Ooh, Glinka, where have you been all my life.
1st Place
Submitted by Martin

Hokujou no Susume by Necry Talkie

Contrary to my typical distaste, that high pitched youthful voice works really well here. This band is like auditory Halloween candy; I kinda wanna see how much of their music I can binge before I get sick of it.

And our outro is Hollow Moon (Bad Wolf) by AWOLNATION.

Two more cats in the bag!
Our current podium is, from first to third: Energy, Aladyyn, and Lectrys
This is the beginning of some major shifts in the leaderboard, as podium placers from previous rounds start catching up with the early subbers. The leaderboard podium has already been upset. What more changes will we see in coming rounds?

By popular demand (or at least nobody said no to the idea), next up is (6 & 20) Scifi/Horror & Resub. We’ll do the monster mash all over again on Friday October 30th at 4pm CDT (9pm UTC).

Sixth Reveal: (6 & 20) Sci-Fi/Horror & Resub

12 contestants subbed to Sci-Fi/Horror, while 10 contestants subbed to Resub.

Category 6: Sci-Fi/Horror

This category's header is The Mack by Beat Circus. The bonus header is 20th Century Cure by Terrance Zdunich.

12th Place
Submitted by Owner

Night Walker by E-Mantra

I’m just going to assume you subbed this because psy trance generally sounds sci-fi-ish, and not because of the paper thin horror connection of the title.
11th Place
Submitted by nutella

One More Robot/Sympathy 3001-21 by The Flaming Lips

Tbh, if that fabled robot revolution ever happens, I just know there will also be a sympathetic robot resistance.
10th Place
Submitted by termi

Dance of the Vampires by Scientist

If someone ever makes a horror comedy movie where the main character gets high as balls before going to a haunted house and encountering a serial killer who uses it as a hideout, I know a good song for the soundtrack.
9th Place
Submitted by MNIN

Clouds Across The Moon by The RAH Band

Is this from a concept album? I kinda hope it is.
8th Place
Submitted by Bloody

Odds & Ends by Supercell ft. Hatsune Miku

Because it wouldn’t be a proper Weebrus without some Vocaloid.
Tied for 6th Place
Submitted by silmarils

Stalker’s Tango by Autoheart

The prelude to The Masochism Tango? Pretty damn catchy.
Tied for 6th Place
Submitted by t om

anthropocene by Samsa ft. atlas

I can’t tell if this counts as horrorcore or not, but I’m into it.
Tied for 4th Place
Submitted by shub-K

Good Night by Dreamcatcher

It’s a bit lost in translation, but the gist gets across.
Tied for 4th Place
Submitted by Skook

The Loneliest of Creatures by Klaatu

Ooh, a round. I think I want to hear more from Klaatu.
3rd Place
Submitted by RB

Left Behind by Leon Riskin

Suddenly I have an intense desire to hear Voltaire cover this. I know that’ll never happen, but a man can dream.
2nd Place
Submitted by Heal

The Wreck of S.S. Needle by Cult of Luna & Julie Christmas

I think I just became a fan of Julie Christmas.
1st Place
Submitted by Crux

Dream of a Witches’ Sabbath by Hector Berlioz

Why doesn’t this get as much Halloween play time as Night on Bald Mountain? This song is robbed by real life.

And our outro is Flash by Queen.

Category 20: Resub

This category's header is The Rifle's Spiral by The Shins. The bonus headers are Ethereality by DM Ashura vs. Sanxion7 and Battery by Metallica.

10th Place
Submitted by silmarils

Do Do Do by Dansu

And it’s all right.
9th Place
Submitted by nutella

No Time To Crank The Sun by EL VY

I dig it, but it was pretty easy to zone out on this one.
8th Place
Submitted by shub-K

River Flows In You by Yiruma

Lovely.
7th Place
Submitted by shub-C

16 Hào àirén by Joey Yung

A beautiful ballad.
6th Place
Submitted by Owner

Nagasaki by Daniel Ryan

Oh! This is sampling Obokuri-Eeumi, isn’t it?
5th Place
Submitted by t om

L.E.S. Artistes by Santigold

I gave Santigold a thumbs up in my Pandora the other day because I don’t hear her enough in my shuffle.
4th Place
Submitted by Logic

Wide Awake by Audioslave

I’ve got some Audioslave songs going into the use list for the next walrus. I’d say look forward to it, but… heh.
3rd Place
Submitted by Skook

Birdhouse In Your Soul by They Might Be Giants

How have I never subbed or used this. This is my favorite TMBG song.
2nd Place
Submitted by Lectrys

Symphony No. 10 in E Minor, Op. 93, Movement 2 by Dmitri Shostakovich

A very rousing piece. I think I wouldn’t mind at all if you’d sent me the whole symphony.
1st Place
Submitted by Heal
Score: 9.5

Wing by Gostwind

This is scratching itches I didn’t even know I had.

And our outro is The Finish Line by Michael Angelo Batio.

The end… or IS IT…?
Our current podium is, from first to third: shub-K, Lectrys, and MNIN
Don’t rest on your laurels just yet. The Halftime Blowout is coming up. Four categories in a row means numerous chances to turn the leaderboard on its head.

Next reveal is (4, 15, 16 & 17) Hated Artist, Crime, Vehicle Covers & Weather Covers. We’re gonna tear the roof off on Wednesday November the 11th at 4pm CDT 9pm UTC).

Seventh Reveal: (4, 15, 16 & 17) Hated Artist, Crime, Vehicle Covers & Weather Covers

5 contestants subbed to Hated Artist, 6 contestants subbed to Crime, 9 contestants subbed to Vehicle Covers, and 4 contestants subbed to Weather Covers. For the sake of brevity, qualifying covers will not be included in the Vehicle Covers and Weather Covers reveals outside of video thumbnails.

Category 4: Hated Artist

This category's header is Use Somebody by Kings of Leon. The bonus headers are Bitch Lasagna by PewDiePie and Bang Bang Bang by BIGBANG.

5th Place
Submitted by shub-C
Score: 4.3

You Are My Crazy Lover by Bisiugroup

I don’t judge by the video, but that is a cringey video made by a cringey band. The song’s cringey, too.
4th Place
Submitted by silmarils
Score: 4.7

Nancy Mulligan by Ed Sheeran

I’m a sucker for some good celt music, but this is naffer than the Pogues.
3rd Place
Submitted by Crux

Elgar’s Cello Concerto in E Minor Op. 85 by Yo-Yo Ma

This is a category about subjectivity and you have a great grasp of that.
2nd Place
Submitted by Heal

Eula by Baroness

Heal described them as “worse/less lyrically inspired Mastodon” with a few exceptions. This is one of those exceptions.
1st Place
Submitted by termi
Score: 9.6

Supremacy by Muse

A long time ago, I told termi she’s not my nemesis. Apparently, she took it as a challenge. Or she's a pandering cheater. Either way, it’s a banger from a band I love and termi needs to apologize to some of her fellow contestants.

And our outro is Sweater Weather by The Neighbourhood.

Category 15: Crime

This category's header is Frankie and Johnny by Louie Armstrong.

6th Place
Submitted by Crux

Scheherezade by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov

Scheherezade’s stories may include crime, but the music alone doesn’t really reflect that. It’s great music, but I feel like I should be reading One Thousand and One Nights while this is playing to get the full benefit.
5th Place
Submitted by Skook

Shoplifters of the World Unite by The Smiths

I made this category hoping for murder ballads. I got a ballad about shoplifting instead, and I don’t really mind.
4th Place
Submitted by shub-C

Yǒnggǎn de rén by No Party for Cao Dong

This song is probably illegal in China.
3rd Place
Submitted by nutella

Static to the Heart by Jukebox the Ghost

I’m not exactly sure why I like them, but I wanna add them to my Pandora.
2nd Place
Submitted by RB

To Catch A Predator by Insane Clown Posse

I’m probably gonna burn for enjoying this.
1st Place
Submitted by t om

Hurricane by Bob Dylan

A true crime story where the real crime is blatant, soulless corruption. This song hits the brief like a haymaker.

And our outro is The Cell Block Tango from the Chicago movie soundtrack.

Please enjoy this second intermission between categories.

Category 16: Vehicle Covers

This category's header is Man, It’s So Loud In Here by They Might Be Giants. The bonus header is Fight For Your Right by The Beastie Boys.

9th Place
Submitted by MNIN

Vroom Vroom by Charlie XCX

This reminds me of club music type songs that might get skipped on Pandora depending on my mood.
8th Place
Submitted by Isa

Big Exit by PJ Harvey

The shout-singing thing kinda isn’t working for me here, though I can picture it getting used in season three of What We Do In The Shadows.
7th Place
Submitted by Heal

San Pedro by Mogwai

Nice.
6th Place
Submitted by Energy

Hard to Forget by Sam Hunt

That intro with those beats… huhhh.
5th Place
Submitted by shub-C

Fully I by DSPS

I glanced at the video and idk if you’ve been watching I Can See Your Voice or whatever, but it’s like when they say someone’s looks match their voice.
4th Place
Submitted by t om

Feel It Still by Portugal. The Man

You’ve got me groovin’ a bit.
3rd Place
Submitted by Andy Snype

F.I.N.E by Aerosmith

So many innuendos...I’m snickering like a fourth grader, but I say it’s alright.
2nd Place
Submitted by termi

One Day by UKG

Ronnie Spencer’s bars are so smooth they need a tumbler of something to go with them.
1st Place
Submitted by nutella

Suburban War by Arcade Fire

I’m straight up vibing off this.

And our outro is Deaf Forever by Motorhead.

Please enjoy this third intermission between categories.

Category 17: Weather Covers

This category's header is Brain Damage by Pink Floyd. The bonus header is Heart Shaker by Twice.

4th Place
Submitted by Isa

(Circle) by Boredoms

It’s certainly anything but boring. Part of me thinks it would be more satisfying if it had ended abruptly around the 9:00 mark.
3rd Place
Submitted by nutella

May Your Hearts Stay Strong by Cloud Cult

A nice driving rhythm to it, though the vocals fall flat for me.
2nd Place
Submitted by shub-C

Aries by JJ Lin

The backing’s a bit curious in the beginning, but it, uh, works.
1st Place
Submitted by termi

Gentlemen Take Polaroids by Japan

This sounds both very 80s new wave and somewhat distinct from other 80s new wave. It’s appealing.

And our outro is Leave In Silence by Depeche Mode.

Thank you, Walrus Shack! Good night!
Our current podium is, from first to third: t om, Crux, and MNIN
4 more reveals to go. Who’s the dark horse that’ll charge into victory in the last leg?

Next reveal is (8 & 9) 80s & 90s. We’ll find out what VH1 was on about on Sunday the 22nd at 2pm CST (8pm UTC).

Eighth Reveal: (8 & 9) 80s & 90s

11 contestants subbed to 80s, while 13 contestants subbed to 90s.

Category 8: 80s

This category's header is Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley. In the live reveal, this was prefaced by a stickbugged prank.

11th Place
Submitted by shub-K
Score: 3.7

Last Night Story by SoBangCha

Those high notes in the backing are just too damn much. It’s like the violin sting from Psycho is stabbing me in the ears while I’m listening to an 80s pop song.
10th Place
Submitted by Owner

Euroshima (Wardance) by Snowy Red

How can something sound both menacing and quirky at the same time? What cold war sorcery is this?
9th Place
Submitted by gbs

Promises by Fugazi

Fugazi is an 80s band…

8th Place
Submitted by Quas

Cloudbusting by Kate Bush

I remember judging this song in a previous walrus, though this seems to be an extended version.
7th Place
Submitted by RB

All Through The Night by Cyndi Lauper

A very 80s sound, while showcasing a lesser known track from her discography. vonFiedler would approve.
6th Place
Submitted by Martin

Last Summer Whisper by Anri

It sounds a bit more 70s than 80s with that slow funk bassline, but I’m not really complaining.
Tied for 4th Place
Submitted by Andy Snype

The Mob Rules by Black Sabbath

Ah, heh heh, it’s Dio-era Sabbath. Noice.
Tied for 4th Place
Submitted by Egix

Bridge To Your Heart by Wax

A hidden gem of the 80s.
3rd Place
Submitted by Bloody

Ai o Torimodose!! by Crystal King

N-NANI?!
2nd Place
Submitted by Amy

Screaming for Vengeance by Judas Priest

Those are some mighty fine solos there… such sweet shred.
1st Place
Submitted by termi

Écoute by Eskaton

A fast moving and constantly interesting prog ride. There’s always some new little snippet to grab the ear from moment to moment. It feels like I didn’t spend anywhere close to thirteen minutes listening to this.

And our outro is YYZ by Rush.

Category 9: 90s

This category's header is Of Wolf and Man by Metallica.

13th Place
Submitted by Owner
Score: 6.4

I Will Be There by Britney Spears

Yeah, uh, not my cup of tea.
12th Place
Submitted by Quas
Score: 7.7

Svefn-g-englar by Sigur Rós

Yeah, I zoned out pretty easily on this. Got involved in a discussion on Discord and went “Oh, wait, the music’s still playing.”
11th Place
Submitted by Martin

Taiyou no Kyuujitsu by Swinging Popsicle

I guess they’ve put the swing in swinging, haven’t they?
10th Place
Submitted by 3cheers

Adam’s Song by blink-182

Should I be happy or upset that I didn’t get 14 Green Day songs in this cat? At least there’s this.
9th Place
Submitted by Amy

Skinned by Blind Melon

Idek what I thought Blind Melon was, but I wasn’t expecting this.
8th Place
Submitted by Logic

Little Black Backpack by Stroke 9

A promising band buried by the sands of time.
Tied for 6th Place
Submitted by Andy Snype

Hypnotize by The Notorious B.I.G.

Biggie got those tight internal rhymes.
Tied for 6th Place
Submitted by RB

The Thunder Rolls by Garth Brooks

I’d say I’m surprised, but when WASN’T this on the radio in the 90s?
Tied for 4th Place
Submitted by Bloody

We Are! by Kitadani Hiroshi

My only regret is you’ve gone past the point where you can swap enough songs to send me all six members of JAM Project.
Tied for 4th Place
Submitted by Egix

To Defy The Laws of Tradition by Primus

Very deft guitars here. Claypool’s voice is a little curious, but I find myself going “yeah, alright” rather than “uh, what”. I’m nonchalantly digging this, which I also kinda feel is apropos for Primus.
3rd Place
Submitted by gbs

I’m The One by Descendants

Tbh, I thought Descendants sounded rougher than this. Glad to be wrong, because these riffs are pretty tight.
2nd Place
Submitted by silmarils

Space Lion by The Seatbelts

If you’ve never watched Cowboy Bebop, go watch Cowboy Bebop. You’re missing out on a great anime with a great soundtrack.
1st Place
Submitted by t om

Eye by Smashing Pumpkins

Everything here- the synths, the harmonies, that thwomp thwomp beat, the little nasal twinge in Corgan’s voice- comes together beautifully.

And our outro is The Scratch by 7 Year Bitch.

And that’s our time!
Last round’s podium placers hold their leads… for now. The early subbers are starting to catch back up with those who pulled ahead.

Next up is (19) 6+ Words. We shall be thoroughly verbose and verbosely thorough in our continued melodic escapades upon the anticipated arrival of Tuesday December 1st at 2pm CST (8pm UTC).

Ninth Reveal: (19) 6+ Word Title

21 contestants subbed to 6+ Words. This is the second largest category of the entire walrus.

This category's header is You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison by My Chemical Romance. The bonus headers are Hikari to Kage no Toki Musubu by B-Project and Me and the Boys in the Band by Zac Brown Band (courtesy of Energy).

21st Place
Submitted by nutella
Score: 7.3

Hold On When You Get Love and Let Go When You Give It by Stars

I feel like I’m the wrong audience for these lyrics.
20th Place
Submitted by silmarils

13 Angels Standing Guard 'Round The Side Of Your Bed by Silver Mt. Zion

I never knew you could train a synth to moan.
19th Place
Submitted by Bloody
Score: 7.6

Me, Myself, and Nico Nico Douga by Hyadain

A very energetic piece, but at some points it comes somewhat close to giving me a headache.
18th Place
Submitted by RB

Arpeggio Between Cosmic Void and Starlight by raocow

Reminds me a little of the X-Files theme.
Tied for 16th Place
Submitted by Heal

May Nothing But Happiness Come Through Your Door by Mogwai

And once again I’ve fooled myself into expecting a space rock band would play something prog.
Tied for 16th Place
Submitted by gbs

To All the Dancers of the World, A Round Form of Fantasy by Sweet Trip

When they said AI would write songs in the future, I don’t think this is what they meant.
15th Place
Submitted by Isa

That’s When I Reach For My Revolver by Mission of Burma

The drums overpower the vocals a little, but I like it.
Tied for 12th Place
Submitted by Andy Snype

The Most Beautiful Girl in the World by Prince

I had to take a moment to see if the sfx were part of the song.
Tied for 12th Place
Submitted by MNIN

And Yet It Moves/Y Se Mueve by U.S. Girls

Is it weird that I’m getting some Todd Terje vibes with the backing?
Tied for 12th Place
Submitted by shub-C

No. 10 Jersey (not for anybody) by Chinese Football

Some nice math riffs going on here. I might just steal this album for pregame music.
Tied for 10th Place
Submitted by Aladyyn

She Who Mars The Skin Of Gods by Protest the Hero

Well, now. This is kinda like the anti-We Came As Romans.
Tied for 10th Place
Submitted by Quas

Six Days At The Bottom Of The Ocean by Explosions In The Sky

This reminds me of a flash game I used to play called Fisher-Diver. In particular it reminds me of the music used in the shallows and mid-depths, where it reflected a sense of wonder and exploration before you progressed further into the plot of the game.
Tied for 7th Place
Submitted by Amy

Red Light Indicates Doors Are Secured by Arctic Monkeys

Pandora only gives me their songs from AM…
Tied for 7th Place
Submitted by Crux

Grand Caprice on Schubert's Der Erlkönig, Op. 26 "Le roi des aulnes" by Heinrich Wilhelm Ernst and performed by Hilary Hahn

240p doesn’t do this justice.
Tied for 7th Place
Submitted by Energy

I’ve Got a Dark Alley and a Bad Idea That Says You Should Shut Your Mouth (Summer Song) by Fall Out Boy

If there’s any Weebrus cat made for FOB, it’s this one.
Tied for 4th Place
Submitted by 3cheers

I Slept With Someone In Fall Out Boy And All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me by Fall Out Boy

Great minds think alike. Though at this point, I should probably mention there are no bonus points for longest title.
Tied for 4th Place
Submitted by Lectrys

Symphony No. 4 in A Major, Op. 90 'Italian', Movement 4 - Saltarello: Presto by Felix Mendelssohn

You’ve thrown me head first into a part of a whole that I now have high expectations for.
Tied for 4th Place
Submitted by Logic

Girls Just Want To Have Fun by Chase Holfelder

AKA the CSI: Miami cover. And what a cover it is.
3rd Place
Submitted by termi

The House Is Alive and The House Is Hungry by The Paper Chase

It’s like a musical creepypasta. Looks like the album’s on YouTube. Looks like the album’s now in my Watch Later playlist.
2nd Place
Submitted by Egix

Toothless Hawkins (and His Robot Jazz Band) by Varien & Razihel

Ohhh, I love me some good heavy wubs. Do whatever you want with the bass drop, just don’t make it boring.
1st Place
Submitted by Skook

There is a Light that Never Goes Out by The Smiths

A love ballad so good, it’s enough to make an ace go moony.

And our outro is A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More "Touch Me" by Fall Out Boy.

And thus ends our latest walrus reveal!
The race to the top is drawing close as it draws to a close. Our three podium placers each have only one song left… How much longer can they hang on?

Next up is (11 & 12) 2010s & Birth Year. We’ll have a very merry unbirthday on Monday the 14th at 2pm CST (8pm UTC).

So the holidays are hella hectic. I must've spent twice as much time offline this week as I did online. And these presents aren't going to wrap themselves.

So this is what I've decided.

I had planned to run One Word Title on the 28th. That's now the reveal date for (11 & 12) 2010s & Birth Year. One Word Title reveal will run in January, TBD depending on preliminary round dates for my next project, Mouth Madness.

Players with pending subs have already been notified about a sub deadline of the 23rd. That now applies to both remaining Weebrus rounds, since nobody wants to spend Christmas thinking about random songs on the internet that you're not gonna share with family members.

Happy holidays, everyone.

Tenth Reveal: (11 & 12) 2010s & Birth Year

16 contestants subbed to 2010s, while 10 contestants subbed to Birth Year.

Category 11: 2010s

This category's header is Power by Kanye West. The bonus header is A World On Fire by Bo Burnham.

16th Place
Submitted by Quas

Prizewinning by Julianna Barwick

Bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-buh… bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-buh… that droning synth beat has some unfortunate earworm potential.
15th Place
Submitted by Martin

Common World Domination by PinocchioP ft. Hatsune Miku

This is probably the wrong time to mention I’m a Gumi fan...
14th Place
Submitted by shub-K

The Red Shoes by IU

The swing elements here are very nice. It’s the performance version, so y’all might wanna click through sometime and check out the choreography.
Tied for 12th Place
Submitted by Bloody

Guren no Yumiya by Linked Horizon

Rock solos, epic orchestra choirs, synth riffs out of nowhere, dramatic voice overs, and a dash of autotune… it’s kind of all over the place in its attempts to kick ass.
Tied for 12th Place
Submitted by MNIN

Cherry by Rina Sawayama

My dumb weeb ass lowkey thought this was gonna be in Japanese. Don’t mind being wrong.
Tied for 10th Place
Submitted by Energy

Hot2Touch by Felix Jaehn, Hight & Alex Aiono

Tied for 10th Place
Submitted by t om

Black Truck by Mereba

It’s kind of obvious where the mv padding ends and the actual song begins.
Tied for 8th Place
Submitted by shub-C

Zhèyàng de nǐ by PiA ft. Outlander

This reminds me of some previous things you’ve sent me. Which, eh, maybe you’ve hit upon what I like in C-pop.
Tied for 8th Place
Submitted by Owner

Brighter Than Gold by The Cat Empire

I can’t tell if this bop is trying to blow my face off or not. Don’t think I’d ever skip it on shuffle, though.
Tied for 6th Place
Submitted by Aladyyn

Hands of the String Puller by Sigh

Hey, I already have a hard enough time picking lyrics out of English death growls… I don’t (read: do) need Japanese death growls as well.
Tied for 6th Place
Submitted by silmarils

Shut Eye by Stealing Sheep

Those harmonies are quite nice.
Tied for 4th Place
Submitted by Amy

Ministry by Karen O & Danger Mouse

The drums and guitars combine in an interesting, slightly math rocky kind of way. And then that bridge hits like a total mood.
Tied for 4th Place
Submitted by gbs

Pretty Old Man by No Buses

I never expected gbs to sub J-indie. Am I complaining? Not in the least.
3rd Place
Submitted by Lectrys

Act of God by G5 Project

You could’ve made a killing in Hot Licks back in, uh, which walrus was it again? I’m losing track of my own past projects while basking in this shred.
2nd Place
Submitted by Logic

Immigrant Song by Trent Reznor & Karen O

Covering a song that’s already a total banger is a hard hill to climb. But I think they’ve tackled that challenge with ease.
1st Place
Submitted by 3cheers

Whiskey In Hell by Anarbor

Obby. I haven’t felt like this since I discovered iDKHOW. This is one of those songs where I scored it and then went back to it a few times while judging other songs. And a couple of times instead of judging other songs. The mark of a true banger.

And our outro is Scary Monsters & Nice Sprites by Skrillex.

Category 12: Birth Year

This category's header is The Power of Love by Huey Lewis and the News.

10th Place
Submitted by Isa

Xtal by Aphex Twin

If you really want me to get into an electronic instrumental piece, my brain needs something with variation, some progression to it. Sure, I’ll slap on a Com Truise album in the pre-game, but we all know it’s just for the sake of background noise. Though this does have some subtle variation to it.
9th Place
Submitted by Martin

HOT LIMIT by T.M.Revolution

Hey, I think I know this from some- wait, no I don’t.
8th Place
Submitted by termi

Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away) by Deftones

I’m having a little trouble making out the verses over the lyrics, but otherwise it’s a great song.
7th Place
Submitted by Aladyyn

The Passing of the Grey Company by Summoning

I’ve heard Bo Hannson’s concept album before, but I never thought there were other LOTR albums out there.
6th Place
Submitted by Andy Snype

Never Keeping Secrets by Babyface

The best thing about walrus is it opens you to new and enjoyable music you wouldn’t have thought to seek out yourself.
Tied for 4th Place
Submitted by 3cheers

Runaway by Linkin Park

Of course, I have to give props to a song I listened to every day on the bus ride home from school. I practically wore out my Hybrid Theory cd.
Tied for 4th Place
Submitted by Egix

Fastlove, Pt. 1 by George Michael

And in this installment of The Continuing Adventures of Brainpanic Suddenly Being Very Into R&B...
3rd Place
Submitted by nutella

Dancing Nancies by Dave Matthews Band

Feeling like Rip Van Winkle over here with how long I’ve slept on this band.
2nd Place
Submitted by Skook

Chop Suey! by System Of A Down

I played the hell out of Toxicity and Steal This Album! in high school. I had one of those cd alarm clocks back then, and Chic N’ Stu was a great way to wake up. Man, I’m old.
1st Place
Submitted by RB

Enter Sandman by Metallica

I never thought I’d live in a world where I’d have to choose between SOAD and Metallica. Such a tough choice.

And our outro is Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears for Fears.

The blast from the past is over!
Our current podium is, from first to third: t om, MNIN, and Andy Snype & Ampharos
We’re almost done with Weebrus. Who will claim victory in the final round?

Finale! (18) One Word Title. When? Monday January 18th at 2pm CST (8pm UTC). ANTICIPATE!

Final Reveal: (18) One Word Title

22 contestants subbed to One Word Title.

This category's header is Reptilia by The Strokes. The bonus header is Flyers by BRADIO.

22nd Place
Submitted by Lectrys
Score: 7.6

Heroes by William Joseph

This is movie music. This is sports biopic, spurring your horse through the desert, “we have 5 minutes before the enemy starts bombing us again” movie music. This is music athletes ice skate to. I honestly don’t know how to appreciate this.
21st Place
Submitted by Bloody

Fansa by HoneyWorks

The piano-driven backing style is one that I usually have to be in a certain mood to dig, but otherwise, not bad.
20th Place
Submitted by Isa
Score: 8.1

Antabus by Makthaverskan

How far was she standing from the microphone? Maybe I could grow to like this beyond the guitars, but that voice was unexpected.
19th Place
Submitted by Skook

Untitled by Interpol

I think it’s time to admit that I have a bad habit of zoning out during Interpol songs.
18th Place
Submitted by silmarils

Ping! By Exyl

And a song from PS2020 makes another showing. Honestly thought I’d never hear it again... buuut I don’t mind hearing it again.
Tied for 16th Place
Submitted by Energy

17 by Zhavia

17 = seventeen, so uh, yeah. She’s got a nice voice.
Tied for 16th Place
Submitted by Quas

Terra by Camo & Krooked

Nice layered buildup in the beginning. Not so much a drop as a 50 meter sprint going on here.
Tied for 13th Place
Submitted by Egix

Madder by Groove Armada

This song suggests a bit more than it delivers. Particularly with those buildups before the chorus. My first thought was “oh, this isn't dubstep” and I was still waiting for the drop.
Tied for 13th Place
Submitted by gbs

Lasso by Phoenix

Confession: I haven’t so much been sleeping on Phoenix as I’ve been hitting the snooze button. But I gotta say this slaps a fair bit harder than Lisztomania.
Tied for 13th Place
Submitted by Owner

Window by Still Woozy

This lowkey feels like something people would be surprised to know I like, but it’s kinda catchy.
Tied for 10th Place
Submitted by nutella

Brothers by Cold Weather Company

I’m lowkey digging this. Maybe a bit more than lowkey.
Tied for 10th Place
Submitted by shub-K

Valkyrie by Oneus

Ending your first theme on a pretty good note here.
Tied for 10th Place
Submitted by termi

Spells by Jenny Hval

I keep wondering if I would enjoy this more with more sax or without any sax. I think the answer might be I want to hear three versions of this song.
Tied for 7th Place
Submitted by 3cheers

Fire by Poets of the Fall

This is something I’d probably have jammed to in my high school years if it had existed a few years earlier than its release date.
Tied for 7th Place
Submitted by Crux

Élégie by Gabriel Fauré and performed by Jacqueline du Pré & Gerald Moore

Sorry for being a derp earlier about classical titles. Would’ve done both of us dirty if I had rejected this.
Tied for 7th Place
Submitted by RB

Inferno by Mega Sphere

Now THIS is pod racing!
Tied for 5th Place
Submitted by Aladyyn

Lion by (G)-IDLE

It was kinda hard not to casually spoil your sub when KPOP was posting band reads in Hydra Mash. Hearing it now, would you have hated me if I’d bragged on you?
Tied for 5th Place
Submitted by shub-C

Her by Peng Xichen

For about half a minute, I jokingly considered calculating the exact score I’d have to give this so that both your themes tied. I really liked hearing you play against yourself and I certainly wouldn't mind you or someone else doing that again in the future.
4th Place
Submitted by Martin

Siren by ASIAN KUNG FU GENERATION

Should I be mad or happy that you picked this over Rewrite? Idk, man...
3rd Place
Submitted by Logic

Astronomy by Metallica

You know how to hit me where I live.
2nd Place
Submitted by Amy

Storm by Shubh Saran

I’d describe the sound here as rich. Maybe even lush. I kinda want to put this on while hanging out with my dad or brother.
1st Place
Submitted by Andy Snype

Epitaph by King Crimson

I think I can truly say this is a timeless piece. I hit repeat a few times contemplating it and thinking about how this song felt apropos to the uncertainty of the as-of-then upcoming inauguration. And to 2020. And to any time you’ve said to yourself “I just need to get through this week”. This is a zeitgeist song and it is both sad and beautiful.

And our outro is Dangerous by Big Data ft. Joywave.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)