Braviary (Bulk Up) [QC 3/3]

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
note: I'm only doing this separately from the main analysis since the main one has already gone through QC, and I want to make sure this set gets enough proper discussion and QC input, rather than being tacked onto the analysis.

Braviary

[SET]
name: Bulk Up
move 1: Brave Bird / Return
move 2: Bulk Up
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Roost
item: Leftovers
ability: Defiant
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 192 SpD / 64 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

• Takes Braviarys usual checks, and turns them into set up fodder. Regirock, Golem, Carracosta, Alomomola are all set up on, as well as other stuff like Golurk, Amoonguss etc.
  • Sets up all over bulky and stall teams.
  • Choice of STAB move is interesting; Brave Bird is not completely walled like Return is with Ghost-types, but means Braviary will have a harder time KOing Electric types unless it has got multiple boosts. The recoil damage can also be very nasty sometimes.
  • Bulk Up is a really cool set up move for Braviary, boosting its already massive Attack, and softening the blow from Rock-types like Regirock
  • Substitute means Braviary can avoid this sets worst enemy: status. Status affliction of any kind will cause this set to be close to useless, and Braviary is faster than most relevant defensive Poemon who carry status, so it will be able to use Substitute before the status
  • Roost is what allows this set to be so effective. Removing the Rock-typ weakness for a turn can be critical, and the instant recovery means Braviary can PP stall Rock moves, and then set up and sweep after that.
[ADDTIONAL COMMENTS]

• The Specially Defensive spread prevents revenge killing from Electric-types such as Rotom or Zebstrika
  • Amoonguss / Alomomola / Tangela and the like will also never break your subs.
  • 252 HP means Braviary can make 101 HP Substitutes, letting it beat Seismic Toss users such as Lickilicky or Mawile.
  • The Speed is enough to outrun Adamant Torterra, as well as Modest Exeggutor and Ampharos. A few more points of Speed can be invested to attempt to outrun Misdreavus, but it is hard to tell how much Speed Misdreavus will be running.
  • You can run 80 Speed to outrun Adamant Rampardos
  • Beats all the Rock-types, so partners like Swellow, Cinccino, Zangoose will love being on the same team.
  • Braviary absolutely hates status, so a Cleric like Vileplume can be a very welcome teammate, if you have space for it.
  • If you choose to run Return, a Pursuit user such as Skuntank should be mandatory to deal with Ghost-types
  • Likewise Brave Bird should be paired with something like Piloswine to take on Electric types.
  • Power Gem Probopass with a status move is probably the best counter to this, Braviary cannot touch it and will lose to Power Gem.
  • Roar Lairon will also stop Braviary in its tracks, particularly if it can set up Stealth Rock as well.
  • Stunfisk
  • Raichu and Cacturne with Encore
  • SubDisable Haunter, Taunt + Toxic Vigoroth / Skuntank
I was thinking this set would go between Band and Scarf, but feel free to suggest another ordering.

I'll look at this more later, but make sure you update the c&c of the Braviary analysis with SubBU Braviary's checks / counters.

Django

is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'll look at this more later, but make sure you update the c&c of the Braviary analysis with SubBU Braviary's checks / counters.
Yeah got that, added Roar Lairon and Power Gem Probopass to C and C, removed Bulk Up from OO.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yeah got that, added Roar Lairon and Power Gem Probopass to C and C, removed Bulk Up from OO.
Brave Bird is the more popular variant of this set, so I'd also highlight Stunfisk and Electric-types in general to put pressure on Bulk Up Brav. Encore users like Raichu, fast Cacturnes, and whatever else uses Encore will do wonderfully too. SubDisable Haunter beats both variants of the set outright. Taunt + Toxic Skuntank / Vigoroth (Taunt + Bulk Up Vigoroth wins as well, as long as you can avoid crits) can work well too and also function as stallbreakers.

When you mention running a bit more speed, mention specifically Adamant Rampardos who sits at only a few points above Braviary. Also, when you talk about setting up on Miltank, it's warned that you should be very careful about it and kill it off as soon as you can - not only is it faster than Brav, but if it gets a crit or if you mistime your Substitutes / Roosts, it can just Toxic you afterwards.

I'm fine with the ordering you mentioned.

[qc]1/3[/qc]

Corsola with HP Rock is the best counter :)

actually most electric beat the set, so make sure to say that if you use Brave Bird(which you should be using)

[qc]2/3[/qc] this set is really good

Django

oooook I got all that, just removed Miltank since its kind of awkward to set up on. I'll expand more on Electric types / Brave Bird stuff in the write up. 3/3 lets go

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)