Braving the Storm

For the less competitive sphere, I recently published this post on my Tumblr. To sum, weather has become the dominant force in OU, we cannot deny it. If you do not use weather, or are not prepared for weather, you will lose to the Keldeos, the Starmies, and a recent surge of Acid Armoring Hydration Vaporeons. The purpose of this post is not to vent, but to pursue a unique strategy to counter weather.

I have been battling since the conception of net.battle, and even before that on the physical copies. Needless to say, I've been around; this does not mean that I am an expert, since I do not profess math or play Pokemon every day, nor do I use just one team for long periods of time. But I will say this: I think I have some tricks up my sleeves, and I think being creative is always what makes Pokemon interesting. Using boring and rehashed strategies never gets me to come back to play more, it's always the surprises that do. I don't care that your Starmie has Psyshock over Thunderbolt, but I do care that it has Recover or Gravity over Rapid Spin. Whatever will knit my eyebrows will make me feel like playing more.

This, I propose, is the way to counter the absolutely ubiquitous eternal weather that plagues and harangues OU. That is, being creative is the way to stop it, and there may be more ways than just simply having another weather inducer. Should you bring a Pokemon, for example, that has Sandstorm or Sunny Day equipped in your team, you will nullify the effect of weather at the expense of one turn. If Politoed is already out of the way, it is, indeed, a small price to pay. Here is a scenario: Rain has been set up, and you KO their Politoed, they bring in a Vaporeon to set up a sweep (which can happen, a new phenomenon since GSC as far as I know), you your Heatran, and use Sunny Day as it uses Acid Armor, and now its Surf is weakened, and Solar Beam does not need to charge. If Heatran has Life Orb and Vaproeon lacks significant HP/Sp. Def EVs, that is quite possibly a 2HKO, and Surf will probably not take it down within that range.

Not only will the implementation of temporary weather benefit some members of your team, but it will take away the annoying eternal weather, and potentially slow down your opponent's offense - even cripple his entire team. 50% of teams, I will wager, will suffer this embarrassing counter, should it be used, and it appears to be something so obvious that I'm rather surprised no one has broached it yet. The woman at Tohjo Falls in GSC was right about the move Sandstorm - and continues to be. It does indeed take a lot of skill to use, and now even more than ever.

So will using temporary weather-inducing moves change the metagame altogether, and revolutionize our thoughts of banning Drizzle Politoed? Probably not. I don't expect this article to gain much clout, on the simple grounds of its cost - one turn, and on a lesser note, one move slot of one Pokemon. For Heatran, the Sunnybeaming set is a recognized set on Smogon, last I checked, so at least that one won't go to waste. However, even if this particular strategy does not work, I hope to see more solutions to our one-sided metagame problem, and more ways to weather the storm, other than flat out banning Rain. Pokemon battling has certainly come a long way, but what has changed most in OU play is the number of options, or at least such was the case in Gen III, which kind of took a downward spiral into less and less options later on. I hope that we can continue to make this game fun, and for everyone to bring something new to the table. I wonder if Gen VI will allow that? I truly hope so.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The use of weather changing moves is nothing new - a lot of successful teams have thrown Hail on a weatherless team as a way to screw over other weather teams in the past.

What arcticblast said. I don't even think I've made a weatherless team in the past 6 months that didn't have either a rain dance Kingdra or a Hail Starmie, among other things.

On top of that, Drizzle is 100% not being banned.

I don't really see how things like Sunny day Heatran are news. These sets have existed for the precise reason you stated, to stop weather. the ones that are good (sunny day heatran, hail starmie, or even putting on abomasnow to a "weatherless team") have proven themselves and are used.
So will using temporary weather-inducing moves change the metagame altogether, and revolutionize our thoughts of banning Drizzle Politoed?
Not to be rude, but I really don't understand this; they have impacted the meta, and it's pretty clear Drizzle isn't getting banned. You're making sound like weather-moves are a new thing.

*raises hand

I've just met an Acid Vapereon on the OU suspect ladder that didn't involve BP. Thank Goodness I had the wits to use SD on Scizor and wittle it away before I banged my head against the wall. First Liepard and now this, kids these days want me to die from heart attack ;_;

===============

As for using weather changing moves, this has been a rare tactic that has seen use most of the time on HO teams only, though it could have benefited lots of other styles as well, just think of the countless sun teams that lay bare after their sun is gone, weather stall teams that throw away their inducer only to have the rain gone, etc. I have co-authored an analysis on Rain Dance Starmie, yet strangely it has been regulated to the comment section in the update. I also used a Hail Starmie since a year or 2 ago on my HO team, though I emphasis you can find a way to fit in all teams.

There are many ways to go about this:

1) Insert weather thief: The most obvious example being Kingdra. Anywhere from 25%-30% of teams run rain depending on ladder matchup, so that's a free agility + 2.5 Mystic Waters being given free, just take out that Ferrothorn/SubCalm Jirachi and it's gg. And if you face any other team, if you don't sweep with it at least you ruined them.

2) Solo Weather Inducer as support: Most famous example being Pursuit TTar, your team doesn't depend on Sand per say, you just happen to like how TTar rapes those smart-ass Psychics, and you can build your team such that Sand doesn't hurt it. Another rare example is revenge killer Abamasnow

3) Trappers, Manual Weather setters and anti-meta weather changing moves: Sunny Day Heatran and if you like priority and speed, Sableeye, Tornadus and Starmie can all do the same thing.

You're making sound like weather-moves are a new thing.
Well, I'm not saying it's new, I'm saying it's novel. There's a distinction. Really, in the past year or so I've never actually seen it used, but maybe that's due to not playing as often as everyone else. I would like to see it become a more common counter than just putting Politoed or Ninetales or Tyranitar on your team and calling it a day.

People use Acid Amour Vaporeon?
Yes, they do. It's an underdog tactic, but think about it. If Thunder-carrying Latios or Thundurus-Therian are not on your team (or Rotom, on a smaller note), you are in serious danger of a sweep. Vaporeon's Special Defense doesn't play games if it's maxed out, and usually the sweeping variants invest EVs in it, the rest into HP and Sp. Attack. I would like to see serious analysis of this new threat. With Hydration, Rest, and two attacks, no physical attackers can take it down, and even most Special Attackers are stymied, except for the above mentioned and a few others. I didn't even mention Venusaur, which is a more prominent threat, his only real counter being Heatran, but that's only if it doesn't carry Earthquake.

Alright, next I'll defend Wonder Room as being competitively viable. Not really.

Well, I'm not saying it's new, I'm saying it's novel. There's a distinction. Really, in the past year or so I've never actually seen it used, but maybe that's due to not playing as often as everyone else. I would like to see it become a more common counter than just putting Politoed or Ninetales or Tyranitar on your team and calling it a day.
While I'm completely understand where you're coming from, I think most people would agree that a pokemon that gives perma-weather when it switches in is much better than a move that makes it last for 5 turns. While sure it gets rid of the weather, they can just bring in their starter again, so it's a waste of a moveslot until their weather starter dies, and that's usually pretty late. Switching in is just so much easier, as you can contest their weather constantly throughout the match, something you cant really do with an a move. Basically what I'm trying to get at is that weather moves are used less frequently because they are usually less effective than the weather abilities (the moves are surprisingly useful, but the point still stands.) Anyways while the think it would be cool if the moves were more viable as well, they're not because they're generally not as good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)