Kommo-o @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Close Combat/Drain Punch
- Poison Jab/Drain Punch

Okay so the first thing I notice looking at this team is Azu’s matchup. It beats 5/6 mons on the team, and the initial switchin (ie, tentacruel) has no poison move and can’t threaten Azu at all. The only mon that breaks the funny bunny is stakataka, which can’t come in without taking a ton of chip from whirlpool + protect. Azu either gets a kill or about 40% on stakataka whenever it comes in. As the only mon that doesn’t lose to Azu is Stakataka, Kommo-o was a natural partner. Bulletproof allows it to come in for free and proceed to boost up. An SD set would be particularly threatening, but DD is more common and does the job. Z-Outrage nukes Moltres while dodging the 30% burn and 4/6 mons don’t appreciate fighting type STAB. It’s naturally high phys def allows it to eat EQs from Krook and Ice Shards from Abomasnow while Drain Punch keeps it healthy, giving it a good chance of sweeping while Azu traps stuff like tentacruel, which could annoy it with Z-Haze.
The only problem this core could have in breaking the team would be if Tent gets up tspikes while dying to Azu. This would mean that Kommo-o couldnt come directly in and sweep, but ideally this would be used with some form of removal (as tspikes aren’t exactly going up again).

O and sorry for shitty formatting and no calcs, I’m on mobile and it’s a pain in the ass :/

Last edited:

Cobalion @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Pretty cool looking balance team, but by looking at it I can tell right away one very specific mon that can tear thru it quite easily: Cobalion. The only thing that lives a +2 All Out Plummeling is Tenta, which needs to be at 100% to live (+2 252 Atk Cobalion All-Out Pummeling (175 BP) vs. 240 HP / 164 Def Tentacruel: 253-298 (70 - 82.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery). But what other mon in the team checks Azumarill other than Tentacruel as well? And with a Mega Abomasnow and a Blissey on the team, Cobalion have 2 very good opportunities to setup. Azumarill can clean the rest of the team after Coba has done it's thing.

1520551034846.png
1520551390084.png

Heracross @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Facade
- Knock Off

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail
- Pursuit

Both these mons come in rather easily on the team's best pivot for the other. (Hera easily able to pivot in on Krook, and Aero easily able to come in on Moltres.) Both of these mons with careful prediction can also snag some really nasty kills against the team. This team lacks any kind of good Heracross pivot (Heracross still does insane damage to the chople mons, easily OHKOing Blissey after one easy to set up swords dance and plain OHKOing Staka unboosted if guts is up, also they can't act as pivots out of fear of losing their berry.) The exception is Moltres who still fears a facade, ESPECIALLY if chipped by an M-aero pursuit trap, putting it in scary danger of a mid-high facade roll killing it. Aero itself punches some nasty holes in this team, as most of these mons don't wish to take two stone edges and/or EQs, barring Krook who isn't keen on taking an aqua tail, or Hera coming in on it to claim a kill. And Blissey, who can be screwed by low amounts of chip in this scenario.

Last edited:

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sprites are broken imagine a Flaming Monkey and a Time Travelling Pixie

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power

Infernape checks Staka, Krook, Moltres, and Blissey. Celebi uses Blissey as setup bait and also pressures Cruel and Staka in neutral. To beat this core Blissey pretty much has to land a Counter on Infernape, which is hard to do without being super obvious, you can keep U-turning into Celebi on the Cruel switch in. Celebi does large damage to everything but Blissey unboosted. Pair with any sturdy rocker and you're golden.

Darksafadao

best of the second options

Heracross @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Facade
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Nihilego @ Electrium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Stealth Rock
- Grass Knot
- Sludge Wave

Looking at this team I noticed Heracross was a pretty big threat to it: Nothing really can reliable switch into it besides Moltres and it also can make Krookodile think twice about clicking any move without getting the whole team punished. Thinking about Moltres as the main Heracross answer, I decided to pick a rocker that could reliably get rocks versus this team, making Moltres also be in range of Heracross once it is in. This made me pick Nihilego.
This team has pretty solid hazard control in the form of Moltres + Tentacruel, but still Nihilego can pressure very well and get rocks up again if needed. It also switches in pretty safely into Moltres if it ever decides to come out, making you able to fire off hits or get rocks up. It also checks Mega Abomasnow well.
The main problem with those two would be Stakataka. Even if both pressure it well, if it gets Trick Room up none of those two can do much about it. But looking at the nature of this core, it could be possible to run something like Azumarill to make the team less weak to the likes of Stakataka. Overall, I think this core pressures this team well enough without needing a lot of support from teammates.

Accel

arise
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Voting time!

Week 6 Team:

SilvioGuacamole
{PerishTrap Azumarill + DD Dragonium-Z Kommo-o)

retrowaves
(SD Fightinium-Z Cobalion with Stone Edge + CB Azumarill)

Smallsmallrose
(Guts Heracross + Mega Aerodactyl)

Sage of the 6
(Scarf Infernape + Nasty Plot Celebi)

Darksafadao
(Guts Heracross + Electrium-Z Nihilego)

You are allowed to vote for TWO CORES, and voting will be due by Sunday, March 11th at 11:59 PM EST. :]

Last edited:

Accel

arise
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Congrats to Darksafadao for winning this week!

Darksafadao - 4
Sage of the 6 - 3
SilvioGuacamole - 2
Smallsmallrose - 2
retrowaves - 1

---

Our next team comes from my lovely co-host, ACakeWearingAHat!

Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Spore

Pidgeot-Mega @ Pidgeotite
Ability: No Guard
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- U-turn
- Superpower

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Cobalion @ Steelium Z
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Counter

I built this for the teambuilding competition project, and thus the team was initially based around Mega Pidgeot. Pert's the rocker of the team and primary response to Mega Manectric, it has Counter to take down unsuspecting Azus while also help to check other physically offensive behemoths like opposing Scizor. Cobalion is the wincon and primary check to Scizor. My own Scizor is there because Pursuit is broken. Latias is there because I wanted to stuff my scarfer and removal into one slot. Breloom was there to not make me insta-lose to stall, although I've been considering using that SD Facade set on it as of late. Overall, it's a fun team that I'm pretty proud of.

Submissions are due by 11:59 PM EST on Thursday, March 15th.

Jade

why are girls?
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
moltres.gif
Breloom_XY.gif

Breloom @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Rock Tomb
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Seed

Moltres @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Flame Body
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Agility
- Fire Blast

At first glimpse of this team, I immediately noticed it gets shredded by Moltres, as it only needs a little bit of chip on Lati to OHKO it:

252 SpA Moltres Supersonic Skystrike (185 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 235-277 (77.8 - 91.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

But what else on the team switches into the monster that is Breloom? The only other thing that switches into it is Latias. See where i'm going with this? Moltres can find setup opportunities against Scizor, Breloom, and Cobalion, while Breloom can come in on Swampert or a hard switch into opposing Breloom's spore. Once Lati is chipped, Moltres can sweep the team.

sparrow

kacaw
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Flamethrower

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower
So I've faced this team a couple of times on the UU suspect test ladder, and noticed that it was struggling versus one Pokemon that I was using in particular: Manectric-M w/ Hidden Power Grass. Coupled with a decent Pursuit user and you've got yourself a winning combo. In this case I opted for Choice Banded Scizor. Manectric-Mega pretty much sweeps this team with the removal of Latias, something the Choice Band Scizor can do very well considering it can come in on 3/4 of Latias' moves. This team is very weak versus volturn as a playstyle in particular and it just so happened that I was running a team featuring these two 'mons. I have seen this team twice and won both times using said combo.

1520777537974.png
1520779157627.png

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Nasty Plot
- Roost

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Strength Sap
- Hidden Power [Fire]

That's right, we're out here with the Vileplume memes. Vileplume with HP fire is a massive pest to 2/3 of the team, Being able to beat Breloom and Swampert rather easily in 1v1 scenarios, and able to defeat Scizor and Cobalion in raw 1v1s with cautious switches between using hidden power fire and strength sap for lowering their attack, and making them fear touching Vileplume's effect spore. The only thing Vileplume fears is the +2 Corkscrew crash from Coba, but careful play and never letting Coba get a free setup can prevent this scenario. Togekiss doesn't care about anything Lati wants to do to it, being able to come in on it safely 100% of the time. Togekiss also always gets 3HKOed by M-pidge on a hazardless field, allowing it to come in safely and roost up, nasty plot, throw off t-waves, etc. Togekiss also doesn't let Cobalion come in for free or get any kind of free setup with the looming threat of t-wave. Togekiss also threatens Breloom greatly if spore is played around, and can use Swampert as fairly easy setup fodder. It has to be careful of Scizor, but nothing Scizor does can 2HKO Vileplume on its own so you have a fairly safe switch. Pressure rocks from coming up and/or pair this duo with a solid hazard remover and you're set to go.

Last edited:
+

Starmie @ Waterium Z
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 12 Def / 244 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure / Pixilate
EVs: 72 Def / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Tailwind
- Roost

Sad I forgot to post in this thread earlier this week, since I definitely woulda taken Agility Molt since it absolutely decimates this team almost singlehandedly (Rocks are kinda cool I guess). Anyway, teams like these aren't my favorite archetype despite their popularity, since if you take a look at them for 30 seconds you can find some somewhat common sets that crack the team pretty easily, that I assume people just hope they don't face when making offense like this , never been a fan:blobshrug: Aaaanyway, dual STAB Starmie is a cool set that I've been toying around with ever since seeing Pak use it pretty effectively in SPL one or two (?) weeks, and upon looking over this team for a second, the Hydro Vortex is basically guaranteed kill eventually once you weaken Latias by hitting it once or twice (keep in mind you've got 4 other mons in a real situation too), and then allowing Starmie to get in on Cobalion, or even Scizor locked into Bullet Punch, the latter of which isn't too hard to do since you end up forcing Scizor to Bullet Punch more often since it's the only thing with a real hope of taking on Altaria long term. Special Altaria's even more of a devastating threat to this team, since it can basically off something for free every time it can manage to get in on Swampert, Scizor locked into not Bullet Punch, Latias locked into not Psychic, or even Breloom since it's Adamant (more than half the team). Tailwind might seem kinda counterteamy but it's a good move in a variety of situations to bring some emergency Speed control to bulky offense outside of priority and Scarfer, since Altaria can almost assuredly set it up if you get yourself in a position to do so. Besides, if I really wanted to be unfair, I'd use Sub > Tailwind n_n

252 SpA Analytic Starmie Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 131-154 (43.3 - 50.9%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO /// so Latias can switch in twice tops.

252 SpA Starmie Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Scizor: 304-358 (97.7 - 115.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO /// washed.

252 SpA Pidgeot-Mega Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Starmie: 211-249 (80.8 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO /// gg ez but you should probably have an actual flying resist or some kind of insane Special tank that can take these better js.

252 SpA Analytic Starmie Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Pidgeot-Mega: 394-465 (128.3 - 151.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO /// washed.

252 SpA Starmie Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Swampert: 274-324 (67.8 - 80.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery /// dies if it switches in lmao.

I could continue but I think I've given the gist of it, the team in question just really can't stand up to Special Altaria or Starmie (or any offensive Water for that matter) for very long and basically has to pray that its opponent misplays with Altaria early on.

Last edited:

justdrew

is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
Ya Cake hopped on the ab00se cab00se to Misa and then to me. He held a water gun to my head and said, "if you don't vote you'll be shaking your head trying to get one single drop of water out for hours!" I had no choice :( So I'll vote TSR because ban Breloom, suspect Scizor, and Starmie is an underrated threats with no switch ins.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)