SPOILERS! Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Data Dumps

View attachment 384256
Here's Roark's entire rematch team. I'm loving these team compositions. Smooth Rock? Stealth Rock? Awesome. Looks like most of the development was spent towards post game
Wow it's on par with 1100 players on Pokémon Showdown. Ah Roar Aerodactyl and Brine Armaldo. The ultimate techs.

Don't get me wrong, it's fairly competent for a Pokemon game. But sometimes it bugs me a little that there's an entire world of competitive battles that these games could draw from. Since these rematches are supposed to test players why do they never use actually good sets?

That said I'm curious to see how they do the non-monotype bosses like Cynthia and Flint. Maybe they'll be a solid challenge.

Edit: I'm wrong, just saw Gardenia's team. They're clearly looking at real competitive sets!

Edit 2: Cynthia holy shit

Last edited:
I ain't gon lie, these movepools are borderline unplayable for real.

This is what Budew gets.
  1. Absorb @ 1
  2. Growth @ 1
  3. Stun Spore @ 1
  4. Worry Seed @ 1
If you can't evolve it to Roselia before Lv. 15 for Magical Leaf, or you're screwed. The next Special Grass STAB is Giga Drain at Lv. 30. You really gotta roll with Absorb or TMs.

Luxray is back to the same problem it had in DP because Wild Charge is LEVEL 80.

I'm gonna throw up. :blobnauseated:

This is what Budew gets.
  1. Absorb @ 1
  2. Growth @ 1
  3. Stun Spore @ 1
  4. Worry Seed @ 1
If you can't evolve it to Roselia before Lv. 15 for Magical Leaf, or you're screwed. The next Special Grass STAB is Giga Drain at Lv. 30. You really gotta roll with Absorb or TMs.

Luxray is back to the same problem it had in DP because Wild Charge is LEVEL 80.

Budew's had this garbage movepool since SwSh.

This is what Budew gets.
  1. Absorb @ 1
  2. Growth @ 1
  3. Stun Spore @ 1
  4. Worry Seed @ 1

In addition, Zubat is nearly unusable once you notice that Golbat is learning Bite at level 34

At least Pluck is available early? (assuming same location as base game)

This is what Budew gets.
  1. Absorb @ 1
  2. Growth @ 1
  3. Stun Spore @ 1
  4. Worry Seed @ 1

Both of those level-up movepools are indentical to what they are in Sword and Shield. Basically it seems to work like this for most(but not all) of the Pokemon:

-Pokemon found in sword and shield have their sword and shield level-up with moves not coded into BDSP swapped out
-Pokemon not found in sword and shield have their ultra sun and ultra moon level-up moves with moves not coded into BDSP swapped out

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is even more of a shame when Wild Charge isn't even a TM iirc so you can't teach Luxray Wild Charge that way :psycry:

But on the other hand, Shinx is immediately more usable off the bat this time around than in DP since it's not left STAB less until Level 18 like in the original DP, since it now learns Thunder Shock at Level 4, which while coming off its weaker offensive stat is still nice to have, unlike in OG DP where the most it had for several levels was fucking Tackle, which was a laughable 35 BP unSTABed, and could miss. It also learns Volt Switch naturally which gives it a bit more use as a hit and run mon when necessary, giving it a tad more utility in-game than in the original DP, works nicely especially with Intimidate in tow, same with natural Thunder Wave to add a touch of utility to its movepool (and also will make it resourceful when trying to catch legendaries like Dialga/Palkia and the Lake guardians).

On the other hand, sadly it doesn't learn Crunch this time until Level 56, which is just ass considering it learned it at a reasonable Level 35 in DP and at Level 42 in Platinum, which is a downgrade for Luxray, I guess it'll be stuck with Spark and Iron Tail for a long time. A true shame: if it learned Crunch and Wild Charge earlier it would be much better in this game than in DPP, but on the other hand I guess it does have a few nifty tools to help it for an in-game BDSP run and give it some utility and usefulness on a team.

This is what Budew gets.
  1. Absorb @ 1
  2. Growth @ 1
  3. Stun Spore @ 1
  4. Worry Seed @ 1

My information may be outdated, but isn't TM Grass Knot given by the second Gym Leader? Like, almost instantly after Budew becomes available? This feels like a non-issue, unless you're out to perform some wacky itemless challenge run. Your creek comes outfitted with a long-lasting paddle whose value only appreciates.

Also, I'm tired of the internet pretending Spark is a bad move on cartridge. Dare I even say it's pretty darn good. 65BP physical STAB? 100% accuracy? 30% chance of non-volatile status? No recoil wearing you down over back-to-back trainer encounters? Maybe it's my Gold-LeafGreen youth trauma speaking, but I personally could be satisfied with a move like that for a very long time.

Last edited:
Since it keeps coming up, I have made a little chart to explain how it worked in SWSH
I love the boss teams and move sets, but I really hate this. Level 4 affection is 150 or above which I think you'll get to without even trying. Just gaining one level equates to +4 or 5 in the affection stat category. By the time you reach Cynthia, your Pokémon will be liable to pull bs like dodging 100% accurate moves 10% of the time or surviving an OHKO move with 1 HP 10% of the time. Not to mention level 2 affection alone (just an affection stat of 50) boosts EXP by 20%.

Not as bad as the Exp. All but still a ridiculously bad design decision.

I love the boss teams and move sets, but I really hate this. Level 4 affection is 150 or above which I think you'll get to without even trying. Just gaining one level equates to +4 or 5 in the affection stat category. By the time you reach Cynthia, your Pokémon will be liable to pull bs like dodging 100% accurate moves 10% of the time or surviving an OHKO move with 1 HP 10% of the time. Not to mention level 2 affection alone (just an affection stat of 50) boosts EXP by 20%.

Affection doesn’t ever kick in until you pass the 179 threshold. You can go the entire game without ever receiving an affection bonus of any kind, just as long as you don’t do any of the things on the bulleted list on the right side of the picture.

The entire reason I am segregating them in this image, complete with labels, is because affection does not happen until you reach 180

Out of curiosity, they changed Dialga and Palkia's catch rate from 30 to 3 in ORAS. Do we know whether or not they changed it back to 30?

Then what's with the affection levels on Bulbapedia: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Affection#Affection_benefits

When would those even take effect if the affection benefits only take place from 180 onward?
Because as far as Gen 8 is concerned there is only "Happiness", even if it is functionally split into 2 phases (traditional happiness, anf affection bonuses). But we, as a community, know that the 180-255 range gives bonuses affiliated with Affection, so we can refer to 180-155 as "Affection"

This page is tracking when "Affection" was its own distinct stat with distinct name and with distinct separate point system in Generations 6 & 7. YOu'll note no where on this page does it refer to Sword & Shield or Gen 8 in general.

And if you want to know when specific bonuses kick in good news Serebii is the only site that bothered to track this:
https://serebii.net/swordshield/happiness.shtml

tl;dr
200-229 adds a "survive KO" chance
230-254 adds 20% exp gain, chance of recovering from status
255 adds chance to dodge an attack and raises crit ratio by 1 stage.
I'm surprised Bulbapedia didn't get updated to reflect the Gen 8 mechanic, that's what threw me off.

Even Serebii gets stuff wrong like certain boss teams in the past which is why I default to Bulbapedia.

Since it seems like BDSP will allow you to get almost every mythical from Gens 1-4, does anybody know if there's any way of getting Celebi in these games? I missed out on the newsletter drop so I want one, and it's the only mythical from these Gens I haven't seen anything about

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)