SS OU Bring on the Melmetal- Please Help

This team is basically built around the Spectrier and Melmetal core. I’m not a pro with EV’s and IV’s and I’m relatively new to Pokemon in general.

If possible, I would like to use this team to try to at least get decent ladder lol

Spectrier @ Choice Specs
Ability: Grim Neigh
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hex
- Dark Pulse
- Shadow Ball
- Mud Shot

This is part of the Spectrier Melmetal Core. Spectrier is used to just clean up fighting types that kill Melmetal using shadow ball or something. Clefable can be used I guess but spectrier doesn’t take damage from one of its STAB(if its dual typed, if not it just immune to it’s only stab). Specs is to just kill the pokemon that bully Melmetal faster. Scarf is good for the Spectrier that tries to become the janitor and clean everything else. This Spectrier just stands up for the bullies that target Melmetal.

Melmetal @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch
Melmetal is main attacker. Double Iron Bash is OP with Choice Band. 72 BP for one hit and its 30% flinch for each hit. That's similar to Serene Grace Iron Head, Air Slash, and Headbutt. The other moves are just to cover a huger area of the metagame. The HP is so that it can absorb the hits. Idk i just found the set on Smogon. Not really sure how else to describe it.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Teleport
- Thunder Wave
Clefable is able to set up rocks, then teleport out. Thunder Wave assists Spectrier if needed, and it can slow down opponents enough for Melmetal? Idk I guess that's how it's used. I'm not really sure but toxic could replace thunder wave. Its just to kinda just like absorb Special Attacks like Fire Blast for melmetal. Teleport for momentum and I can get switch advantage over U-turn and Volt Switch.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Ground immunity. What else? Intimidate is useful ability as well, find switch-ins easily and stopping urshifu and stuff from hurting Melmetal that much. They could switch out, but the one that switches in for it has to be able to absorb a lot of hits! Not sure how to describe other then Scary boi who gain momentum and fly over earthquake spam I guess.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Atk / 2 Def / 128 SpD
Serious Nature
- Flip Turn
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Ice Punch

This thing is kinda Tapu Fini but more HP. No stealth rock because Clefable took that job. Toxic wear them down. Flip Turn for momentum, Earthquake for Stab, Ice Punch to kind of deal with pesky grass types. The IV spread is so that it can absorb more attacks from Special attacks and then just toxic. Flip Turn to then gain momentum for Melmetal to switch in.

Mandibuzz (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Foul Play
- U-turn
Defog. This team isn't really weak to Stealth Rock but idk. I'm not sure if this team really requires defog but I'll just include it anyway.

So thats kind of the entire team. I would really appreciate help.

Two things:

First off, your Clefable set is a bit awkward. It seems to be a mix of utility (thunder wave and stealth rock) as well as a teleport set. While Clefable does both of these well, trying to do them both at the same time just isn't as good as choosing one of the other. The SpD EVs are also just a little odd, as typically Clefable likes to run Def instead on bulkier specs. I'd recommend choosing to either go fully into utility or fully into the teleport set. The "standard" teleport set looks something like this:

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Teleport
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

and utility looks something like this:

Clefable @ Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off/Thunder Wave

The second thing I noticed is your set on Landorus. It's a bit awkward as well as it's running fully offensive EVs (max attack and speed) while at the same time using a Rocky Helmet. This item is usually meant for bulkier Landorus sets that want to take advantage of intimidate to switch in on physical threats, cripple and chunk them. The max attack and speed EV set however is used on other sets, suicide lead with explosion runs them, as does the swords dance and scarf set. For this squad, if you were going to pick one of the three I would probably choose scarf for the speed control and as a strong offensive pivot that's not one of your 2 core mons. Something along these lines:

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 12 Def / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Defog/Knock Off

On the other hand, if you prefer the bulkier Rocky Helmet set:

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off

(these sets are just copied off of Smogon so you can get the general idea, feel free to tweak them as you see fit)

On Melmetal, take 14 EVs out of HP and put them in Speed. This lets you outrun Pex so they can't knock you off before you get in a second Earthquake

Abhi

Professional Zoomer
is an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello there! Nice team you've got, but I have some suggestions that may help you out.

Since most of my suggestions are about your movesets and EVs, I will be listing them in a bullet format.

• SpDef Clefable isn't the best right now due to Urshifu running rampant, also your set does not have any recovery which is very bad especially since Clefable has access to reliable recovery in Soft Boiled. This is why I suggest using this set.
  • Your Landorus-T set also is sort of unviable, which is why I suggest giving it a Choice Scarf set instead. This also gives your team good speed control which you previously lacked.
  • Due to my previous suggestion you now have three choice item users, this isn't usually a good idea; which is why I suggest you make your Melmetal the Toxic&Protect set.
  • Your Swampert set is also a bit problematic so I suggest you use this one instead.
  • I also suggest editing your Mandibuzz's EVs to something like this.
Hopefully these changes help you out, and if you have any questions I'd be happy to help! The pokepaste link with all the changes can be found here.
Have a nice day!

Last edited:
But I'm using Teleport, and the Teambuilder says that they are Incompatible so its either teleport or softboiled

But thanks for the tips!

Abhi

Professional Zoomer
is an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
But I'm using Teleport, and the Teambuilder says that they are Incompatible so its either teleport or softboiled

But thanks for the tips!
That is why I recommend dry passing; this is because you are left vunerable to Urshifu-S if you run Teleport over Soft Boiled.
Hope that helped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)