Brought Back The Sun

Good day, I'm GL Nate with my XY competitive team. I'm entering into a tournament on Dec 15 and I'd like to have my team evaluated. I've been playing competitively since I was a GymLeader for Toys 'R Us back in the red/blue days. I placed 10th in Pokemon Worlds 2001. I currently run a shiny trading service on reddit (if links are allowed, I'll add; otherwise I'll remove this). I'm a fantastic breeder as well. All that said, I'm generally a terrible battler. I saw the amount of solar power pokemon and wanted to do a Sun team, since I kept getting steamrolled by them competitively in BW2.

Without ado, here's the team:

FIRE / FLYING GRASS/POISON ELECTRIC/NORMAL ICE/GROUND WATER/FAIRY FIRE

• Suicide Lead/Stallbreaker, Drought
Ninetales @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
Calm Nature
252 HP/4 Sp. A/252 Sp. D
-Substitute
-Toxic
-Will-O-Wisp
-Fire Blast

Ninetails is used as a Sun bringer. I've seen other players playing the Stall Breaker set with some success and I wanted to see if Ninetales could do the job. I get 8 turns of Sunny day once she leaves the field. Really I'm wanting to use her to bait out whatever they think will sweep the Fire type, and match it against the rest of the team. Bait and switch has become so painfully common now that I can usually switch out of Ninetails, and have the new pokemon take a resisted hit.
  • Fire Sweeper, Drought with Mega.
Charizard Charizardite Y
Ability: Solar Power > Drought
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk) or Modest (+SpA,-Atk)
252 Sp. A/252 Spe/4 HP
-Fire Blast / Blast Burn
-Solar Beam
-Fire Spin
-Roost / Air Slash

Roost and Solar Beam are ridiculous. I may trade up Fire Blast for Blast Burn to OHKO everything, but dat recharge. Roost may provide Blast Burn with a restore, but that's 3 turns of set up for 30 Power. So I if anyone could help me with the exact numbers, I'd be grateful. Fire spin is hell. "No more running, stay and fight me!" Charizard doesn't go Mega unless the opponent needs that much damage dealt to him, or if the Sun sets. Usually I switch him out with 3/5ths life after a roost. Air Slash may go in for roost one day as an all out offensive Charizard.
  • Tank Drainer
Venusaur (M)@ Black Sludge
Ability: Chlorophyll
Modest
4 Atk/252 Sp. A/252 Spe
-Growth
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb
-Solar Beam

This moveset needs work. I'm not good with this pokemon (despite my horrible truth: this is the first pokemon I ever chose and leveled to 100, back in Green >_<;) Growth: In intense sunlight, Growth raises Attack and Special Attack by two stages each. Combined with the Speed boost of Chlorophyll should make him a nightmare, very very fast. Right? Not really. Leftovers should really be on Azumarril. Life Orb could possibly go here, and just eat them with Giga drain. I've been told to put Earthquake on him, but I just can't fit it. Sludge Bomb and Solar Beam for damage.​
  • Electric Sweeper
Heliolisk @ ????
Modest, Solar Power
EVs: 252 SpAtk 252 Spd 4 Def
-Surf
-Giga Impact
-Thunderbolt
-Dark Pulse

Heliolisk Solar Power is darn near impossible to make. It requires a friend with heliolisk, and have beaten the game. With 80 friends, I have one person who has one, and he hasn't beaten the game. X.x . thankfully there's no crazy egg moves for him to learn (which was a disappointment really, he doesn't exploit his normal side with Explosionwhy?) Solar power increases his special 1.5x in sun.

So, type moves are Thunderbolt and Surf. Thunder is negatively affected by Sun so I don't bother with that. Basically my plan with this guy is to make him take out 1 or two pokemon and bail. Volt Switch, I want to use it, but can't bring myself to lose my coverage Dark Pulse.

• Tank Ice
Mamoswine @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
Adamant Nature (+Atk, - Sp. A)
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Sp. D
-Ice Shard
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Icicle Crash

Dragon/Aegislash/Fairy killer. Thick Fat gives the user heat and cold protection, therefore halving the damage taken from Ice-type and Fire-type moves. Immune to Electric, Resistant to Poision, Resistant to Ice and Fire; he's usually my switch in after the second round of pokemon are fainted. I see him taking hits like a tank, but I've never used him before so I'm not so sure. The choice band may need to be moved for an Assault Vest or a Red Balloon (that'd be so evil).

• Bulky Water/Fairy Sweeper
Azumarill @ Leftovers
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature (+Atk, - Sp. A)
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Sp. D
-Play Rough
-Belly Drum
-Aqua tail
-Aqua Ring

The queen of Water, Azumarill herself. If by now Sun has faded twice; it's time for Azu to step up. Play Rough and Aqua Tail for the win most games. And Aqua ring and Belly Drum for HP screwyness (in the case of EPIC HP /light hitters.) Azu can also Play rough during the Sun, but I really don't want to waste the droughts. I was considering Klefki in the same role, because he has Sunny day.

If you haven't figured out the overarching strategy, here it is: Start with Ninetales, Auto Sun + a move, or switch to a sweeper of the correct type for 8 turns of Sun. Charizard (solarpower)Solarbeam or FireSpin to Fire Blast, Venusaur (chlorophyll) Growth to Giga Drain spam with Solar Beam to remove walls, Helioptile (solarpower) to remove any waters, flyers. Mamoswine as a block to Aegislash,Tyranitar, Garchomp. Azumaril for Blaziken or Talonflame or any Dragon/Dark pokemon (looking at Hydreigon).

For quick reference:
Sunny Day:
While Sunny Day is in effect, the base power of Fire-type moves will be increased by 50%, and the base power of Water-type moves will be decreased by 50%. In addition to this, the moves Synthesis, Morning Sun and Moonlight will recover the user's maximum HP, and SolarBeam will not require a turn to charge.

Chlorophyll:
During sunny weather, the Speed stat of Pokémon with this Ability doubles. This effect lasts until the sunny weather ends.

Growth: In intense sunlight, Growth raises Attack and Special Attack by two stages each.

Solar Power: In sunshine, Solar Power raises the Special Attack stat 1.5×, but lowers the user's HP by 1/8 of its maximum HP at the end of each turn.​

What can get improved here? Movesets? Alternative pokemon choices? The only two I see moving around are Mamoswine and Azumarill. The others are pretty set in stone. Pretty much every pokemon learn Sunny Day, but this team aims to get it done without wasting a turn using it. Thoughts?

Last edited:
While I can't give help with movesets I can say the Venusaur should have Black Sludge and Azumaril should have lefties or a Sitrus Berry.

I agree with what the previous user has said about items, I prefer lefties to sitrus berry as sitrus is only one boost. But that's just me.
And for your heliosk I suggest choice scarf or specs, and don't use giga impact. Maybe use volt switch or that electric absorbing move that's name is escaping me. Fire blast is definitely better on charzard, and fire spin isn't very good, I suggest a coverage move like HP ground to hit heatran which resists all your moves. And I think roost is better than air slash because fire and flying have redundant coverage.

Been playing with the team for a while and I've come to find my weaknesses. Here's my pokemon by pokemon analysis based on Singles Flat 50 Free play on Battle Spot.

• DIS FUGGIN GUY

Flame Burst hurts. I have nothing to out speed it. I switch to Mamoswine if I have him, but generally I don't carry him in my threes team.

Blaziken generally doesn't start out as fast as most of my team, and Im really frustrated that I can't will-o-wisp two of the most frustrating attackers out there. I usually plan for Blaziken with Marill, and just use Play Rough.

Here's the team as it stands:

Ninetales @ Heat Rock
Timid, Drought, 29\1\31\31\31\31
128 SpD/128 Def/252 Spe/ 48 HP
-Confuse Ray
-Toxic < Previously Subsititute / Protect
-Will-O-Wisp
-Flamethrower

Will-O-Wisp's burn halving attack really screws with people. It sticks with the pokemon through switch outs (needs verification) and I toss it onto Garchomp along with Confuse Ray and let it eat itself. I was using Substitute and Protect in the Toxic Slot, but I wanted more of a Stallbreaker. Ninetales lives so often through the first few turns that I've stopped using her has a Suicide Lead, and more of a Pivot/Stallbreaker/Drought Referesher Lead. She does it all. 50% of my games are won simply through the early momentum I get with Ninetales. This guy I've got to get a shiny version of.

Azumarill @ Leftovers
Adamant, Huge Power 31\31\31\18\31\31
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Sp. D
-Play Rough
-Bulldoze < Formerly Belly Drum
-Aqua tail < Formerly Aqua Jet
-Aqua Ring

Fatty Lumpkins. He takes abuse and seems to enjoy it. I may ditch Aqua Ring. I use it for stalling a turn ususally. She's DARN bulky, but I'm not using her like a tank. I It like a truck with Aqua Tail and Play Rough. Bulldoze to counter Blaziken. Aqua Ring may need to go back to Aqua Jet for the priority over Talonflame, but in this team, I don't use water moves often. Also, I love when switching into Charizard X with Outrage *glee* or any dragon really; complete immunity. Tyranitar can break her in the sun, so be wary of that.
Mamoswine @ Icicle Plate
Jolly, Thick Fat, 31\31\31\31\11\31
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe
-Ice Shard
-Icicle Crash
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock < formerly Stone Edge
I don't use this guy enough. I miss with Stone Edge EVERY time it's important. It finally frustrated me enough that I rebred with Stealth Rock. I rarely find teams to switch him in and drop them and bail in 3s. I need to try him out in 6s just as a 3rd-4th turn rock dropper. DEATH = Fighting, Steel, Water, Grass. Wish I had more to say about him. He cleans up nice, and can stop Icy pokemon and Fire pokemon with thick fat. Stone Edge, why can't you be 90% accuracy?

Heliolisk @ Choice Scarf < Formerly ????
EVs: 252 SpAtk/ 252 Spd/ 6 HPModest, Solar Power, 31\8\31\31\31\31
-Surf
-Parabolic Charge < formerly Hyper Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Dark Pulse
Third Favorite pokemon ever now. Faster than lots of pokemon. I used to use Hyper Beam as a 1 'Pokemon must die' move, but I found that I was using too many turns to switch him in, Hyper, and then recoup, then switch. He never lived. I tried Return with bad results (someone pointed out it's Physical >_<!!!!). Thunderbolt does a killer job. So, back to Dark Pulse.

I'm going to test out Life Orb to see if it improves OHKOs in the field.

• Charizard @ Charizardite Y
    Ability: Solar Power > Drought
    Modest, Solar Power, 31\30\31\31\31\31
    252 Sp. A/252 Spe/4 HP
    -Flamethrower < Formerly Fire Blast
    -Solar Beam (AMAZING!)
    -Roost < Formerly Hidden Power Dragon< Formerly Fire Spin
    -Air Slash

Charizard doesn't go Mega unless the opponent needs that much damage dealt to him, or if the Sun sets. He's usually the tail end of my 8 turns. I'm wiping a third pokemon by the time he gets out. If I use his Mega too early, it doesn't allow for the double Sunlight Flamethrower. Fire Blast just leads to inconsistency, but also lots of pokemon left dead with no HP left. Air Slash is blaziken's undoing, and a lot of other pokemon types. Sadly Fire and Flying tend to hit the same types of pokemon. I'll need to breed another one to change out Air slash with Dragon Pulse. The Cheese of my team.

• Venusaur (M)@ Life Orb < formerly Black Sludge
    Modest, Chlorophyll, 31\13\31\31\31\31
    4 HP/252 Sp. A/252 Spe
    -Growth
    -Giga Drain
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Solar Beam
I'm somewhat underwhelmed by Venusaur. He's super fast in the sun though, and if I'm quick to set up Growth Growth Solar Beam, I pretty much sweep with Giga Drain. I'm going to change out Sludge (which is useless, really) and put in Life Orb. I don't see many Fairies, so Sludge Bomb just is a move in waiting. Maybe against other Venusaurs. Gotta remember Poison is good against Fairy and Grass. Otherwise, just let this guy eat two pokemon or so and take his turn to faint.

General Strategy Now for 3s is all about countering the Tyranitar, Talonflame, Blaziken, Garchomps I see come onto the field 60% of my games. I've got to work around them, and I know they're going to be an issue during my Tournament on Dec 15th, but with training and 6 pokemon, I think I stand a much better chance than with OP 3.

For Simulator:
Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- SolarBeam

Ninetales @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 128 Def / 128 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Confuse Ray
- Toxic
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flamethrower

Azumarill @ Leftovers
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Bulldoze
- Aqua Tail
- Aqua Jet

Mamoswine @ Icicle Plate
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Heliolisk @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Parabolic Charge
- Thunderbolt
- Dark Pulse

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- SolarBeam
- Roost
- Air Slash

Last edited:
Definitely a more solid team.
One minor thing, most people try to put their attack EV's at 0 if it has no use for attack, because less damage is dealt via confuse ray etc. that's not too big of a deal. if venesaur learns sludge wave, I suggest having that over sludge bomb since its slightly more powerful, again, just a minor thing. One last thing, it might just be me, but I don't like using plate items. I prefer life orb. Or a focus sash would work if you wanted to help you get KO's more. But I definitely prefer life orb. Keep testing and good luck!

Venusaur sadly does not learn sludge wave: http://pokemondb.net/pokedex/venusaur.

Mamoswine: Plate Items are really just a 20% proxy while I choose from the Battle Maison. Icicle plate will be changed for Focus Sash to stay alive. I may even change him out entirely. Also considering Stone Edge for the high use of Fire pokemon.

Azumarill: Just changed Marill's bulldoze to Brick Break for anti screening.

Considering Barbacle for Mamoswine's spot.

Tough Claws @ White Herb
Shell Smash
Dragon Claw Dragon Physical 80 100% 15
Stone Edge Rock Physical 100 80% 5
Razor Shell Water Physical 75 95% 10

or Sniper ???
Shell Smash
Razor Shell Water Physical 75 95% 10
Cross Chop Fighting Physical 100 80% 5
Stone Edge Rock Physical 100 80% 5

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)