Battle Stadium BSS Arctozolt Team

Introduction
I wanted to quit pokemon after series 7. I was struggling to make any headway on both the showdown and battle stadium ladders and was no longer enjoying pokemon. After doubting my building skills and using a rental team for the whole of series 8, I decided in series 9 that I wanted to give building another go. I decided I needed to scrap my old team and start from scratch with new inspiration. I just had to find something to build my team around. I decided this time not to start with one of the top meta picks and start with something else. I researched top teams in previous series and I found the pokemon I wanted to build with, it was Arctozolt.

:ss/arctozolt:

My inspiration came from this top team: https://spokemon929.hatenablog.com/entry/2020/12/05/234605. The EV spread was inspired
by this Zolt.
Arctozolt is a very niche pick but it has some advantages over other electric meta giants like Zapdos and its siblings Dracovish and Dracozolt:
- It has STAB boltbeam coverage which lets you hit the majority of the metagame neutrally.
- It is not Zapdos so people are not prepared for it
- Ice coverage hits ground resists hard on the switch (bar :mamoswine:)
- Freeze-Dry lets it smack bulky Water/Ground

Arctozolt also has many weakness:
- Very weak to common fire types :cinderace: :rotom-heat: :heatran: :blaziken:
- Can't touch Ferrothorn
- Isn't that great outside of Dynamax/Hail
- Weak to rocks

These points were kept in mind in the team building.

Team Building
Arctozolt needed a partner in crime. Looking at its weaknesses I decided to pair it up with a water mon. Tapu Fini and Urshifu-RS came to mind. I couldn't pick one as both had different strengths and weaknesses. In the end I kept both (will explain their uses later)
:arctozolt: :Urshifu: :tapu-fini:

If you bring Zolt, that means it has to dynamax (to get the best out of it). There are match ups were you don't wanna dynamax Zolt so I decided I needed another Zapdos counter and ground type. Enter Rhyperior
:arctozolt: :Urshifu: :tapu-fini: :Rhyperior:

The team looked weak to Cinderace and Rillaboom. I needed something to counter them. Enter Intimidate Salamence.
:arctozolt: :Urshifu: :tapu-fini: :rhyperior: :salamence:

The last spot was for a cushion switch in/support. I tried many mons in this spot but it ended up going to Ferrothorn.
:arctozolt: :Urshifu: :tapu-fini: :Rhyperior: :salamence: :ferrothorn:

The Team
:ss/arctozolt:
Arctozolt @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Slush Rush
Level: 50
EVs: 156 HP / 180 Atk / 92 Def / 4 SpD / 76 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Freeze-Dry
- Icicle Spear
- Substitute

This is the mon I built around and the first WINCO for the team. Zolt runs a mixed set with WP. This mon hits like a truck if the WP is proced and can hit with both physical and special attacks (which is helpful if you get an attack drop or burnt). Bolt Beak hits like a truck when you move first. Icicle Spear is good multi hit move for subs and Mimi's disguise. Freeze-Dry smashes common Water Absorbers which are lured in by Urshifu and Fini. Substitute is a good move to ease prediction, avoid status and can be used as Max Guard while dynamaxed.

As explained in the introduction, the inspiration came from another team. The defensive EVs/Impish Nature let you survive physical moves (especially from Landorus, just don't let it set up swords dance) to pop the policy and KO back and set up hail. Impish does drop your special attack (so gastro and swampert are not OHKOs from Freeze-Dry). 76 speed lets you outspeed Garchomp (base 102) under Hail. I decided not to bother speed creeping it further that Chomp because there was nothing faster that Zolt checked (most of these mons are better checked by other things). I also wanted to place more Evs in attack so max moves hit harder. You can alternatively run 140 Atk / 116 Spe to outspeed 110s in Hail, but I don't think that is necessary in the current meta.

This mon usual has to dynamax if it comes out as it needs Hail to boost its speed. It can come in versus stall and not max, but stall runs Pheromosa and you don't wanna allow that free moves. This mon mainly comes in to max against teams that have Tapu Fini, Zapdos, Landorous, Garchomp, Celesteela or a Stall Core. It sits out if the team has a powerful fire max mon (like Cinderace/Blaziken. Mons that can't be dealt by Fini or Urshifu easily).

:ss/tapu fini:
Tapu Fini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Trick

Tapu Fini is the second main component of this team after Zolt. It is so versatile. Misty terrain protects your team from status, trick can cripple walls, can revenge kill and it can even dynamax in certain situations. I usually play this as a lead as a lure (for Zapdos/Electric mons mainly) with defensive switch ins to suss out the opponents team/moveset.

:ss/Urshifu:
Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Aqua Jet
- Taunt

Urshifu is used in two roles in this team. You either lead it to do as much damage as possible in the early game and break holes in teams. Or you try preserve its sash for an end game where it can clean up the rest of the team. I am running Adamant for more damage output (since its sash should let you fire at least one attack off, and sometimes that is all it needs to do in a game). These days Mimis and Landos are running bulkier sets so you are generally faster. Taunt is used because I hate losing to gimmicks and to have Max Guard if it dynamaxes. Speaking of max, it can also dynamax in certain situations (but that is more an niche, like an emergency to stop something sweeping under dynamax. Normally Guard -> Knuckle -> Guard then Aqua Jet to hopefully KO). On cart it is G-max but I use non G-max on showdown to bring rain if it maxes. (I am not sure which one is better, hitting through Blaziken's Max Guard is handy, happy to hear thoughts on this). This mon needs to come in against Blaziken and Heatran otherwise you could easily be swept by them (Fini doesn't quite handle them well with Thunder Punch and Solar Beam/Max Overgrowth respectively smashing it)

:ss/Rhyperior:
Rhyperior @ Assault Vest
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 244 HP / 92 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Drill
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Fire Punch

Rhyperior is part of the defensive core of this team. It has two roles on this team, a defensive switch in the electric attacks and to Horn Drill walls. You use Fini and Urshifu as lures for electric attacks, switch in Rhyperior, and then get a free Horn Drill on the switch (30% chance to take something out). It can also be a last resort in the end game against walls that try to stall out the clock. Evs and vest are to make it as bulky as possible. The speed Evs are to outspeed P2 so Horn Drill goes first. Remaining Evs go to Atk. This thing can max too. Mainly to trade 1v1 vs Zapdos (if Zolt isn't bought into the game).

:ss/Salamence:
Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
Level: 50
EVs: 228 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 20 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Hydro Pump
- Fire Blast \ Flamethrower

This is WINCO number 2. This is your main Cinderace and Rillaboom counter and this is your max mon if your opponents team have them. Intimidate drops one Atk boost from knuckle. DO NOT recklessly switch this into Cindo as a Max Move can still hurt. This needs to be at full health to trade Cinderace 1v1. I went for Special because the team had mostly physical mons and it also catches people off guard as people expect it to be set up physical. I went for a bit more bulk so that it can trade the 1v1 max vs Cinderace more successfully. This originally had AV before it was given to Rhyperior. I gave it LO for more damage output. Its moves are inaccurate so you do need to max it to guarantee hits (thinking of switch Fire Blast to Flamethrower for at least one completely accurate move). I usually set up rain during max so that hurricane is fully accurate outside of it (also protects Ferrothorn and it boosts Urshifu's surging strikes in the end game). I chose this over Dragonite just because it has more SpA firepower and Intimidate is useful.

:ss/Ferrothorn:
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Bullet Seed \ Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed \ Gyro Ball

This is another defensive switch in or end game set up WINCO. Most good teams have coverage for Rhyperior with their electric type, so Ferrothorn is a good switch in those situations (mainly for water and electric attacks). Its main role is to be annoying. It does have a harder time coming in the current meta but it still needs to be respected in team preview, so it is mostly a team preview lure. Urshifu and Fini generally take care of what Ferro lures in. Not really sure of the best moves here. Leech seed is easily predicted so I usually Iron Defence or attack when given a free turn. Bullet Seed lets me hit waters hard\break subs, gyro ball lets me hit fairies/fast mons. I have found Bullet Seed more useful atm. Leftovers is for passive recovery. Not sure of the best set, happy to get advice on this.

Team Advice
The team is built around Zolt, so the first question is can Zolt be bought out into a match up?

1. Yes
a. End Game Dyna Zolt
Lead: :tapu fini: / :urshifu:, Counter Rillaboom Lead: :salamence: / :urshifu: Defensive switch in: :ferrothorn: :Rhyperior: :salamence: is rare because moves can miss, Cleaner: Max :arctozolt:
This game plan involves chipping you opponent down, screwing up walls (with taunt or trick) and ideally waste their max on something to end the game with max Zolt. Ideally you position yourself to max against something that will be KOs by max hailstorm so you are faster than rest of the team.
If playing for Zolt max, do not lead Fini if opponent has Rillaboom (it can set up on a switch). Urshifu can survive a hit with its sash vs Rillaboom so you try chip it down with close combat. Most of the time they will click U-turn or Knock Off to predict the switch (which can be free damage with Urshifu. You are sacrificing urshifu in this set up so make sure you don't need it later)

b. Mid Game Zolt
Lead: :tapu fini: / :urshifu:, Counter Rillaboom Lead: :salamence:, Max: :arctozolt:, End game cleaner: :urshifu: / :ferrothorn: set up / :Rhyperior: horn drill
Similar game plan to above except you use Zolt to punch holes in the team / force max and have something else in the back for the end game.

c. Lead Zolt (Stall mainly)
This is rare occasion, mainly for a slower and passive leads. Set up sub and then click Bolt or Freeze-Dry (free freeze drys are good with 10% freeze). In this set up you can dynamax another mon.

Zolt generally needs to come out if you opponent has Celesteela or Tapu Fini. So you have to play towards in those match ups.

2. No (this is the most used case)
a. Dyna Salamence
Lead: :tapu fini: / :urshifu:, Max: :salamence:, End game cleaner: :urshifu: / :ferrothorn: set up / :Rhyperior: horn drill
This is your game plan versus Cinderace.

b. Flexi Max
There are certain match ups where flexi dynamax is required. This is more so to survive your opponents max by using guard twice against their max (does take good prediction to work). You generally have any three of Ferrothorn, Fini, Urshifu, Rhyperier or Salamence. You need to just survive their max and then win the end game versus their back mons (can be trick Fini to stop set up or recovery, set up ferro or worst case horn drill Rhyperier).

c. Blaziken
Blaziken is on the rise and can spell trouble for Zolt.
You have to assess whether its sweeping Blaziken or Baton Pass one (usually can be figured in team preview). You need Salamence or urshifu against sweeping Blaziken (watch out for WP)
Baton Pass Blaziken can be taunted by urshifu and the end game can be won by Horn Drill.

Threats
Fire mons
:heatran: be careful this can easily sweep you with a first turn dynamax (especially if running solar beam)
:Cinderace: libero is broken. Be careful as Adamant LO can destroy you.
:rotom-heat: can hit your water mons with super effective damage. completely walls Zolt
:Blaziken: see above section

Ghost Types
:dragapult: You need to lead with Fini otherwise the set up Dragon Dance set can sweep you
:spectrier: Not common but can cause issues. If it sets up and maxes then it's GG.
:aegislash: Can be annoying to deal with with sub/king's shield.
:mimikyu: Don't let it set up, you have options but it can be tricky to deal with

Faires Types
:clefable: :alcremie: Don't have much coverage for them. They are uncommon, main goal is to trick them.
Other tapus - need to be worn down by fini / other team members. They can switch terrain to remove you misty terrain protection.

Others
:rillaboom: Banded lead can be tricky. Salamence is your safest lead or switch in here (be wary of knock off on the switch)
:naganadel: This can be a pain to deal with, especially if it sets up. It has the firepower and coverage to wreck your defensive mons.
:porygon2: :ferrothorn: :toxapex: These can be annoying. The team has answers but some well built team comps with them can be tough to deal with. Sometimes Horn Drill is the only way, but that doesn't always feel great or isn't very consistent.
Stealth Rock - losing 25% of health on Mence and Zolt hurt. You best option is to try prevent them from going up with Urshifu/Fini (you can't always guarantee that)
other weather - will remove Zolt's hail and speed boost. Sand from TTar and Nihilego is troublesome for Fini and Mence too (due to sand boosting their SpD).

Rating Guide
Please keep Zolt in the team. You can suggest different EVs, nature or moveset for it but it cannot be removed. Everything else is fair game to be removed with suggestions.

The two sets/Evs I am not 100% sure of are Rhyperior and Ferrothorn. With Rhy, should I be running my bulk Evs in SpD or is OK in Hp. With Ferro wondering about the best moveset. Iron Defence + Body Press are mandatory. What should I run in the last two moveslots? I prefer to use Bullet Seed to deal with waters but Gyro Ball can increase defence when Maxed. I prefer to use Bullet Seed to deal with waters but Gyro Ball can increase defence when Maxed. Leech Seed is handy for chip recovery, but in a fast passed meta I usually click Iron Defence over it and I hate missing it.

Former members
Regieleki @ Light Clay
Ability: Transistor
EVs: 212 HP / 28 Atk / 84 Def / 100 SpD / 84 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge
- Explosion
- Light Screen
- Reflect
Screens helped Zolt survive attacks to proc WP. But became too passive\waste of a team spot in higher level games so I dropped it. It also meant you are going all in with Zolt (works in lower level play but not at higher levels)

Excadrill (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 172 HP / 12 Atk / 44 Def / 212 SpD / 68 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Horn Drill
- Rock Blast
Drill was used in Rhyperior 's role. I found Rhyperior to be a better fit, could switch into Heat Wave from Zapdos (misty terrain protects burn) and does better 1v1 vs Cinderace.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Flamethrower
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Protect
I used this in Ferro's place. This mon is good but has a harder time in the current meta. I found Ferro more useful for this team because it wasn't weak to electric attacks.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Foul Play
- Recover
This was used a cushion/ice coverage. I was beginning to use it more than Zolt for Ice coverage so I had to make a choice between it or Zolt. I decided to keep Zolt, not because it is better, mainly because it was the inspiration for the team.

Try It Yourself!
Paste
https://pokepast.es/ac2a4b81711542d8

Rental Code:
0000 0007 NHTT 87

Conclusion
This is the best team I have built and I am very proud of it. I have managed to climb to my highest rating on showdown (over 1500) and on cart (in the 2000s atm).

To all those people out there like me who find building hard, don't give up. Keep playing the game and trying different mons in your team until you get something that sticks. This team has changed so many times in the last month and can probably do with more changes (that's where I hope you guys can help me!). I hope people have fun playing with this team. I know this has become wordy but thanks for reading.

(also this is my first RMT, happy for feedback on whether these meets the requirements or if there are areas that need improving)

Credits
This team inspired my team. Thanks to the creator!
https://spokemon929.hatenablog.com/entry/2020/12/05/234605

Last edited:
Has sub on Arctozolt really been helpful? I just ask cause I know Dynamaxing loses your sub, and so it's only really useful post-dynamax, if it lives that long(and if it does, you may well have won and don't need sub.) Could you share some times Max Guard has been helpful? If sub can go, I was thinking Low Kick or Pluck, mainly for their max moves but stealing berries is nice in this meta that uses many.

The only thing that seems unusual to me about the sets is much Spe on Rhyperior. It for sure likes to outspeed 60s, but what about SpD cause it's AV? I guess it still beats Zapdos fine. According to Pikalytics, all Rhyperior run some Spe(:O,) but none quite that much. W/ Trick and Taunt do you find you still need Horn Drill for Walls? Also, do you know if Heat Crash>Fire Punch is unviable? Usage stats seem to reflect this.

That's cool you hit 2000s w/ Arctozolt. I've never tried using the new fossils, except for Vish briefly, but I'd sooner use Arctozolt than Dracozolt cause it isn't helpless vs. grounds(bar the-esp. Thick Fat-Mamo.)

What do you do vs. Cresselia besides Trick it if it's not Subbed? I'm always scared of Cresselia like you know from my RMT. From what I can tell the usual set just sets up on you, and sub blocks Ferro Leech Seed even if you do run it. Does Urshifu SS not fit your team? I almost never see RS if a team has a water type already though I'm sure it's ok-I just mean SS for Cress.

One of the top teams last season had a Lanturn. It doesn't quite wall Arctozolt because of Freeze-Dry, but it seems good vs, everything else bvut Ferro. It's super rare right now but may go up.

Last edited:
I have to admit I don't use sub much on Zolt but it has it merits. You can sub to avoid status (quagsire and pex's Scald can't break your sub). Max Guard is useful to break sashes when you have hail up. Also Bolt Beak does more damage than Max Lighting if you go first. So there are situations where you where you want to guard on the last turn to use Bolt Beak.

Pluck and Low Kick are interesting but don't really recommend running them. You wanna set up Hail and Electric Terrain to boost your stabs. It then leaves you one more turn, and you probably wanna hit hard with a stab move. Low Kick only hits Ferro and Ttar and I have other ways to deal with them.

With Urshifu, I have used SS in this team. RS is preferred imo. You just lose out more than you gain. Zolt is walled by fires so water coverage is really important for this team. RS pressures lead Lando more than SS. Lando can get out of hand if it sets up.

Cresselia - Is tough but you can play around it. I make sure to trick it and stop boosts from being passed to it. Worst case I pray for a horn drill hit. Cress' role is normally obvious in team preview so it is easy to play around. If you see a Glastrier or slow mon then it is trick room support. If you see a Blaziken and Cress then it's baton pass.

Rhyperier - P2 is a massive pain. Some team combinations mean Urshifu can't come out. It will require you to use horn drill at the end. So the speed is required because ice beam is a 3ko. Rhy will dynamax sometimes so I like HP investment for that. The assault vest is to increase its bulk because it has four attacks (doesn't need lum because of Misty terrain). Rhy doesn't always come out and is also another team preview lure for Zolt. It beats Zapdos which is its main role in this team. Heat crash doesn't hit Max mons, so happy to keep fire punch. Might look into the calcs into Ferrothorn to see what is better though.

EDIT: Fire Punch vs Heat Crash (both max move powers 130)
92+ Atk Rhyperior Heat Crash (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 88-104 (48.6 - 57.4%) -- nice move
92+ Atk Rhyperior Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 112-132 (61.8 - 72.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (100.00% chance to 2HKO after accuracy)
92+ Atk Rhyperior Heat Crash (80 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rillaboom-Gmax: 102-122 (58.2 - 69.7%) -- nice move
92+ Atk Rhyperior Fire Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rillaboom-Gmax: 98-116 (56 - 66.2%) -- 76.2% chance to 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery (76.20% chance to 2HKO after accuracy)
Fire Punch looks better to me. Can be used against a max mon without wasting your max and hits Ferrothorn harder. Did calcs on Boomer which is another common switch to Rhy. Difference is negligible and both are a 2 KO

I have played Lanturn on showdown. I was able to wear it down with maxed Mence and Ferro and then revenge kill it with Urshifu at the end game.

Last edited:
252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 156 HP / 92 Def Arctozolt: 186-218 (100.5 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO (100.00% after accuracy)

Landog EQ does only a little over half(even Max Quake is lived after rocks,) w/ a neutral def(in fact neutral period, what I'm looking into,) nature.

Is Serious viable? You can't ohko Swampert, but you then do for sure Quagsire. Since Arctozolt is base 90 Def and SpA it doesn't seem like you'd lose out on much and I'm always trying to figure out if the neutral natures can be viable. It would help if you expanded on what it lives w/ 92+ Def since Google Translate doesn't make it that easy to read even though it ofc helps. It sounds like you live Swampert Flip Turn w/ your sub, but it has EQ so idk about that being worthwhile.

If not a neutral nature, what about Adamant/Jolly? Most Arctozolt are actually Naive but I don't see how that'd help. After that, Adamant then Jolly are popular.

You have to max at full HP against lando without allowing it to set up.

252+ Atk Life Orb Landorus-Therian Max Quake vs. 156 HP / 92+ Def Dynamax Arctozolt: 307-367 (82.9 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Ideally you don't have to take that hit and you have hail up before you take on lando. I have back up for lando with Fini's ice beam and Urshifu's surging strikes as well.

You have to chip Swampert to beat it. Normally bring Fini's Misty terrain so it can't do its yawn stuff.

I have been messing around with max attack Adamant with Life Orb. Needs hails support though. I run the same moveset except Taunt in place of Sub (helps you beat non max P2). Gets Low Kick and Stomping but just didn't click them enough to keep them in.

Haven't able to balance the team yet though. Might need to play around with it some more. The problem with Hail is people just switch the weather with dynamax so it is not very consistent. Also it's hard to get Zolt in for free without sacking the hail setter. Zolt is slow too and and be revenge killed by most scarfers even with Hail up

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)