SS OU Bulky Chip-Damage (Complete Overhaul)

Bulky Chip Revised.jpg

The Team

This team has something extra added to the Bulky Chip-damage strategy. It utilizes almost every possible immunity in the game. This gives me a lot of opportunities to switch into something else for free. Since surviving while slowly chipping away at your enemies is the teams priority, this is a huge bonus advantage. Every Mon has something that restores health, aside from my Tank-killer Dugtrio.

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock

Ability: Sand Stream

EVs: 252 HP / 52 Atk / 204 SpD

Adamant

- Stealth Rock

- Stone Edge

- Crunch

- Rest

Tyranitar sets Sandstorm for me. Because this team is meant for drawn out battles I decided to run a Sleep Talk build here. Obviously Stone Edge and Crunch were chosen as attack moves due to the STAB multiplier. Tyranitar is a free switch-in against expected Psychic-moves.

823.png

Corviknight @ Leftovers

Ability: Pressure

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD

Careful

- Bulk Up

- Brave Bird

- Body Press

- Roost

A standard Bulk Up set for Corviknight. This keeps the bulk going but can set up for some higher damage numbers. Corviknight is a free switch-in against Poison-moves.

Jellicent @ Safety Goggles

Ability: Water Absorb

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

Calm

- Will-o-Wisp

- Whirlpool

- Strength Sap

- Night Shade

Jellicent uses Will-o-Wisp and Whirlpool to break enemies down. This movepool could also have been used on Corsola but I wanted a switch-in for Dracovish and Jellicent’s Water Absorb is perfect for this. Jellicent is a free switch-in against Water-moves, Fighting-moves and Normal-moves.

Weezing-Galar @ Black Sludge

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 SpD

Calm

- Will-o-Wisp

- Strange Steam

- Pain Split

- Aromatherapy

Galarian Weezing gives me second Will-o-Wisp user. Because this team is all about having control over the battlefield Aromatherapy is a strong tool to poses. Strange Steam adds a simple Attack-move and Pain Split gives some more survivability. Galarian Weezing is a free switch-in against Dragon-moves and Ground-moves.

Centiskorch @ Heavy-Duty Boots

Ability: Flash Fire

EVs: 248 Hp / 252 Atk / 8 SpD

Impish

- Coil

- Fire Lash

- Leech Life

- Knock Off

To run with the theme of utilizing immunities I decided to add a Flash Fire mon to the team. Centiskorch fills this roll. Defensive EV's, Coil, Leech Life and Knock Off further accentuate the team’s controled gameplan. Centiskorch is a free switch-in against Fire-moves.

Dugtrio @ Life Orb

Ability: Arena Trap

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Jolly

- Earthquake

- Night Slash

- Reversal

- Substitute

This team is all about defeating the enemy with small ticks of damage. This means Tanks can be a real problem. Whenever you switch in something that can deal with them though, they switch-out. This is where Dugtrio’s Arena Trap comes in. Earthquake is super effective against Toxapex and Aegislash. Night Slash is super effective against Corsola and Aegislash. Unfortunately combining Reversal with Substitute and Life Orb was my only option against Ferrothorn. EV’s are still in speed because Arena Trap blocks Dugtrio himself from switching out afterwards as well. Dugtrio is a free switch-in against Electric-moves.

I had a lot of fun thinking off all the little intricacies that make up the final product. I hope this inspires someone to search for more overlapping themes in their teams.​

Last edited:

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey.
So the most immediate thing that stood out to me is your lack of hazard remove. This isn't the best for a team that's built around slowly chipping away the for because it means every time you switch, you're going to be taking chip damage yourself. Given that you have no cleric, and only one Pokemon on your team has a reliable healing move, I can see your team being worn down way quicker than your opponent.

Just in general this team archetype is generally referred to as stall: the playstyle of conserving your own Pokemon instead of going on the offensive. There are much better stall oriented Pokemon than the ones you are currently using, but I think the idea of having every pokemon have an immunity is interesting, so any changes I make to the team are orientated around that.

Some major changes:
I would replace :Centiskorch:Centiskorch: with specifically defensive :Flareon:Flareon. Specifically:

Flareon @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Will-o-Wisp / Yawn
- Wish
- Protect

Fareon also has Flash Fire, and is a fine stop to Fairy-types like LO Clef as well as Ferrothorn, who your team otherwise struggles a bit with. Heavy Duty Boots are key here for preventing Flareon from being worn down from hazards. Finally, Flareon gives your team a Wish passer, giving it some extra longevity. If you are deadset on using Centiskorch, I would replace the AV with Heavy Duty Boots, as, despite not technically boosting any stats, the HDB will make Centiskorch far bulkier, since it won't have to worry about losing 50% of its HP as soon as it switches in.

Next, I would recommend swapping :Ferrothorn:Ferrothorn with :Corviknight:Corviknight.

Corviknight @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

You aren't super weak to Water thanks to Jellicent, so I feel that removing Ferrothorn isn't terrible, especially since the trade off is a Pokemon with Defog and reliable recovery, not to mention U-turn to build momentum and further force switches.

(A possible alternative would be to swap Aromatherapy on :Wheezing:Galar:Weezing-Galar with Defog. You already have 2 Pokemon immune to Toxic, and Tyranitar can cure itself with Rest. That just leaves Jellicent susceptible if you're using it as your switch in to Seismitoad, but you'd keep Ferrothorn, so it should be OK.)

With that, here are a couple of minor recommendations for fix up some sets:

Replace your :Tyranitar:Tyranitar set with this:

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Brave Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Rest / Stone Edge

This gives you your Stealth Rocker back, while making Tyranitar very specially bulky. The EV spread let's it soak 2 Specs Draco Meteors from Dragapult. Rest without Sleep Talk might sound weird but you have Aromatherapy, making it a more consistent way of restoring HP and shrugging off status on the spot. You could replace it with Stone Edge, though, to hit Mandibuzz a little harder.

With all that said, one big weakness that stands out to me for your team is it's weakness to opposing Dragon Dance Tyranitar, who can make a run through your team with it's widev coverage. Fortunately, it doesn't love to set up on most of your mons due to the threat of Burns/Sleep, but if it does your best option is have Weezing tank a hit. Weezing can just barely survive a +1 Stone Edge and respond with a burn, so if you think the enemy has a DD Tyranitar, it's probably in your best interest to keep Weezing healthy. I'm not too familiar with standard Weezing, so I'm not sure if all those speed EVs are worth it when you can instead invest some more in bulk. I would imagine you'd only want around 164 Speed EVs in order to speed creep uninvested Mandibuzz to avoid it's Taunt, and the extra EVs can help Weezing be a little more bulky.

Anyway, hope this helps!

Reactions: TPP
If you are deadset on using Centiskorch, I would replace the AV with Heavy Duty Boots, as, despite not technically boosting any stats, the HDB will make Centiskorch far bulkier, since it won't have to worry about losing 50% of its HP as soon as it switches in.

Next, I would recommend swapping :Ferrothorn:Ferrothorn with :Corviknight:Corviknight.

Corviknight @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Replace your :Tyranitar:Tyranitar set with this:

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Brave Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Rest / Stone Edge

I'm not too familiar with standard Weezing, so I'm not sure if all those speed EVs are worth it when you can instead invest some more in bulk.
Thanks for the tips, I personally prefer a bulk up set on Corviknight and don't think defog is needed because this team can survive well and has some tools to outsmart other bulky teams (Aromatherapy and Dugtrio).

I'm going to stick with Centiskorch for now but switching to HDB allowed me to pick coil.

I copied the EV's on Weezing wrong, has been updated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)