Burning Attack! (Peaked 2500+)

Hello friends, and welcome to Burning Attack! This is a relic of the olden days, aka, a Sun Team, using some of my favorite Pokemon that are also quite rewarding to use. I have had mild success with this team, getting past 2K multiple times on old ladder, and reaching over 1800 on the new one, and in general, having a disgustingly great time. *Sighs with nostalgia* Some people say Sun is dead, but baby, I'm just getting started...

To the team!

1. Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse

Charizard Y, my replacements for Ninetales. A monstrous powerhouse, especially in the Sun. His Fire Blast decimates all! He's a better fit for this team than Ninetales, because this is a very offensive team, and he is a very offensive Poke. Fire Blast for nuking things, SolarBeam for pesky Water Types, Focus Blast for Heatran and Tyranitar, and Dragon Pulse for the Latis, the rare Kingra, and the even rarer Zygarde. Very deadly in the right hands. I chose a Modest Nature because I prefer the power.

2. Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
-Swords Dance
-Seed Bomb
-Sucker Punch
-Explosion

Meet the most underrated member of my team, Shiftry. I was using Sucker Punch on Victreebel anyway, so I figured, I might as well have STAB on it. Base 100 attack with Life Orb and an Adamant Nature hits surprisingly hard. Swords Dance is obviously there for sweeping purposes, while Seed Bomb and Sucker Punch form the crux of this set. Explosion is my troll move of choice, and is hilarious to use against things like Zard X or Dragonite as they make an attempt to set up. His Sucker Punch hits very hard, and, in addition, not many people know what Shiftry does, so they're fighting blind. Just to justify using Explosion, have this:

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Shiftry Explosion vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 337-397 (104 - 122.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Shiftry Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Wobbuffet: 646-760 (110.6 - 130.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Shiftry Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Venusaur: 403-474 (110.7 - 130.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

3. Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-U-Turn
-Sleep Talk

Honestly, some of you may laugh, but this little fucking bird is the most goddamned broken thing I've ever seen, stopping just short of Khan level broken. His ability makes him so good, and, with the ability to 2HKO Lando-T with Flare Blitz in Sun, he becomes a very powerful killing machine, indeed. Brave Bird is great STAB and priority, allowing it to OHKO anything weak to it, as well as a great deal of frail neutral things, such as Greninja and Charizard Y. Flare Blitz is for sheer, sun-boosted, juicy goodness, and oh boy, does it destroy things. U-Turn is for getting out of bad situations, and Sleep Talk mainly for filler, but also if Shiftry is dead and can't sponge a Spore or Sleep Powder. It's fucking hilarious to troll Breloom with Sleep Talk. This fucking bird, shaking my head at how broken it is.

4. Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SpA / 248 HP / 4 Spd
Modest Nature
-Psychic
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Ground
-Trick

Meet the newest member of my team. I thought to myself, I love Wobbuffet, but missed having a trapper. I specifically wanted something offensive too, in particular, something that took a huge shit all over stall, and since I am an actual Goth, why not Goth? She is an amazing offensive trapper, able to 2HKO Standard Blissey. I am running Psychic for consistent STAB, and especially physically bulky Pokemon such as Rotom, Gliscor, and Hippowdon, Thunderbolt for Skarm and Bulky Waters like Slowbro, Hidden Power Ground so I can trap and 2HKO Heatran, a huge feat for any Sun Team, and Trick for cripping defensive walls, especially Chansey. She is beautiful, deadly, and here to stay.

5. Heliolisk @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch

Heliolisk is a great lead due to Volt Switch, and has monstrous special attack in the Sun, at the cost of some HP, a minor thing since he is frail as fuck, anyway. He can tank a plus 2 Quick Attack from a Mega Pinsir, as well as live a Banded Brave Bird from Talonflame. Volt Switch is for scouting, HP Ice for Ground Types, Focus Blast for Heatran, and Thunderbolt for raw power. The great thing about Heliolisk is I can usually predict a Gliscor or Lando Switchin-In, and nail them with HP Ice. In the Sun, he can OHKO Rotom-Wash with Thunderbolt. Here are some impressive calcs:

252 SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Heliolisk Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W in Sun: 276-325 (90.7 - 106.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO,

252 SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Heliolisk Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios in Sun: 240-284 (79.4 - 94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.

Impressive, no? I love this little guy.

6. Hitmontop (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

My Spinner and Fighting Type attacker, Hitmontop seems to be very fun on this team. He is extremely bulky, both physically and specially, and Intimidate and Assault Vest stack up extremely well together, almost like Eviolite. Of course, this comes at a cost, in this case, no Foresight. That can be played around with smart prediction, though, and it's not like SR on my side is an instant lose condition, despite my glaring Rocks weakness. Anyway, I digress. High Jump Kick for power and to not lower my defenses, which Close Combat does, and also for consistent STAB, Stone Edge for Pinsir and Talonflame switch ins, as well as opposing Zard Y and Volc, Earthquake for Aegislash, and Rapid Spin for doing what he does best. In addition to his decent natural bulk, I have Intimidate plus Assault Vest, allowing me to wall many unboosted attackers with ease, functioning as a makeshift Eviolite. It's good to have you back, buddy!

Import/Export:

Heliolisk @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Spd / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb
- Sucker Punch
- Explosion

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SAtk / 248 HP / 8 Spd
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Trick

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Sleep Talk

Hitmontop (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDEF
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- High Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

Thanks for reading!!!

Last edited:
Hello,

Despite not being a fan of sun team, you have a dragonite and because i'm using one too, i suggest you to use the set from the OU analisys :

name: Offensive Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Outrage / Dragon Claw
move 3: Extreme Speed
move 4: Earthquake / Fire Punch / Thunder Punch
ability: Multiscale
item: Lum Berry / Weakness Policy
nature: Adamant
evs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe

Extreme Speed is a welcome priority move (+2 and 80 power) and you don'nt need more than 232 speed so extra hp is always nice (give weakness policy a try too, it's an amazing item with multiscale).

Side Note : Since HydroPump sucks in the sunlight, you may try dragon pulse on Blastoise (M-Launcher boosted) but this advice may be wrong, it depends how often is blastoise under the sun.

I would say running fire punch on dragonite is pretty redundant given how much fire your team already packs to deal with steels, I could see extreme speed being more useful, especially with all the priority flying around this gen!

Since you have a sun team and rapid spin, I think that Weakness policy/Multiscale would work best for your Dragonite considering sand and rocks won't be breaking your multiscale. I tried Dragonite on a recent team of mine and found that sand always ruined my day, so I went with the berry (and eventually took it out) altogether, but this is not a problem for you it seems.

I honestly have no clue how to critique Victreebel and many of the rest so I will leave this for some of the more knowledgeable smogon members.

Love your wobbufett plushie

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
I'm not going to lie, you have tons of weaknesses. The biggest ones are Mega Pinsir, NP Thundurus-T, CM Mega Gardevoir, and Dragons that set up (Mega Charizard X especially, who OHKOs your entire team after a DD under the sun). Yes, Wob can take on one of these, but if more than one are present, it's a bad day for you. The flip side of that is that literally nothing in OU has a chance to fully wall you. My suggestion would be to swap Mega Blastoise and Dragonite for Skarmory and Mega Charizard X. Skarmory does an excellent job handling Mega Pinsir and most Dragons, while Mega Charizard X simply outclasses Dragonite as a sun sweeper while simultaneously forcing Thundy-T to rely on Focus Blast to OHKO. Also, if you doubt Mega Charizard X's power...
+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Wobbuffet in Sun: 573-675 (98.1 - 115.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
to put this in perspective...
+2 252+ Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Wobbuffet in Sand: 570-672 (97.6 - 115%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
Sets:
Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz
- Outrage

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 44 SDef / 12 Spd
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
(EVs maximize defense while maintaining a leftovers number. Slight speed creep to outspeed other Skarmory's taunt).
Hope I helped you buddy =]

Bumping because I changed Infernape to Heatran, as well as one or two moves, and would like some updated feedback.

Well ava (sorry everyone showdown names) i agree with the guy above's changes of skarm from mega blastoise and then change heliosk to mega manectric who solves your flying weakness and can hit about just as hard as heliosk while having intimidate but most importantly flamethrower and hidden power ice meaning your not getting walled really by anything and helps with your massive dragon and ground weakness. Other then that it is still a very good team that you habe swept me with many times before and congrats on the rank. Also go to the edit title thing at the top and tag this as a pokebank ou team as that is what it is.

Okay, so looking through your sets I see two that immediately stand out to me. IMO, you could switch excadrill to jolly and add a balloon to beat other excadrills. & the second is Talonflame, I personally like the 208 speed number on Talon to beat excadrill with flare... Other than that. You have used a team like this for since I've known you so I assume you have your way around the main threats. :)

Ahh! I played this team yesterday on the ladder. An overpredict on my part set me well on the back foot (I trick'd your Zard Y, sure you'd go straight to Wobbuffet), but what really sealed the deal was this:

Shiftry used Explosion! Mandibuzz fainted!

Not only did you prevent me from getting off the Defog, but you knocked out one of my best defenses against your squad. Shiftry is one of my favorite mons, design-wise, and I was thrilled to see him get legit competitive play. Volt-Switching into Wobbuffet is damn hard to play around, and damn effective.

I'm basically going to have to stew and first plot how I'd handle a rematch, then offer constructive criticism, because right now I think this is a solid, golden, powerful team. It's so unexpected, which makes it that much better.

Nice work brother.

Last edited:
This team is pretty damn solid my friend. Only thing i can really see that would give you trouble is Tyranitar, and if your opponent knows how to work around Wobbuffet youll be in some serious trouble. Focus Blast on Heliio does make up for this weakness quite nicely, however. Only thing i can really see at this point. Also, I really like Latios as your defogger as it actually gives you some offensive power instead of the previous deoxys D/mew.
Nice work!

Hey I just wanted to say that I am a newbie who has been shamelessly ripping off of this team and I must say, I absolutely LOVE it! I was already a fan of Wobbuffet and Heliolisk, which is what got me to try it in the first place. I've been using Ancient Power for other Charizards, though, and I've kept Roar. Can't wait to try Hitmontop, as he was in my IGT in my first Gen 2 playthrough, and your set for him seems awesome.

Keep up the good work (so I can keep winning)!

personally i think the rocks weakness is too crippling but otherwise the team nukes most anything in the face. Shiftry is legit. explosion is almost always the best choice except for aegis where EQ should be run. sure tflame can nuke it (2HKO at -2 cause of kings shield) but tflame can die easily due to SR weakness and general frailness and aegis can kings shield then kill with shadow ball after living a -2 flare blitz in the sun. but thats rare so explosion is the best choice.

Seems like a pretty good team,but why naive on charizard?Timid is better because it reduces the only stat you aren't using.Also,I might recommend a set change on gothitelle to somthing that can set up a CM sweep because it's only natural you would,no?

Gothi set:
Gothitelle @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SAtk / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
SubCM trapper is a unique niche that only gothitelle can fill,and it can be deadly if used correctly.Psyshock and shadow ball are great neutral coverage,so thats the preferred coverage.Take out that crummy specs set and put in this one.

8-BIT Luster

Completely Unviable
Ava! Where's those ) IVS for your special attackers? -3-
But seriously, this team looks solid. I haven't played against it, but I've seen it in action. I like your usage of unconventional Pokemon (Gothitelle, Hitmontop) to make this team work, and the team hits like a nuke. Shiftry is ridiculous.
Only thing I can see giving you trouble is TTar. And MegaZard X.
But it's really quite solid.

Seeing as this is a sun team, how do ensure a safe switch from Charizard-Y? I get that Charizard-Y is a monster by itself, but I would have thought to keep Cholorophyll and Solar Power useful sunlight is still necessary - and yet Heliolisk and Shiftry are never bonafide switch ins. Also without the appropriate rock sun is always pretty short lived on auto-inducers.

Furthermore what do you do about status? I get that you have Fire mons for burns and Heliolisk for paralysis, but is that enough?

Honestly this is for my own team building efforts as much as yours, if you tell me things like Heliolisk and Talonflame cover you for paralysis and burns than that's interesting to know about. I always err on the side of caution, but if a more offensive team can do better in might be worth a shot.

i think wobbufet and dugtrio are better than goth. and you already have specs on helio. if you still want to use goth give it a scarf. and run psyshock not psychic

Last edited:
I'm sorry for asking such a stupid question but a Sun Team revolves around Sunny Day, right? But none of the pokemon has that move.

Ugh don't just go with the suggested spreads on PS and fix your EV's. With Charizard and Talonflame, you want an HP stat that's one number less than something divisible by 4. Give them 0 HP EV's and 29 IV's, that will allow them one more switch in with SR on the field.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)