buttitelle

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender

goodbye!

Introduction:

Since Gothitelle is now banned from UU, I've decided to make this RMT. It's based on Gothitelle's ability to remove walls, which clears up the path for Gurdurr and Samurott, both of which are extremely hard to stop. In return, Gurdurr (in conjunction with Skuntank) removes many of Gothitelle's counters. This team netted me a record of 64-2 on the ladder while users august and Double01 also had success with it.

The Team:

Regirock @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Drain Punch
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch / Thunder Wave

Regirock sets up Stealth Rocks for this team and is a great answer to most physical attackers. The offensive set is ideal for this team since it can dish out damage and prevent momentum from being lost. The team appreciates Thunder Wave a lot, but it's also hit very hard by Golurk, which is why Ice Punch is used. However, I recently found out that Golurk's Substitutes are broken by Stone Edge, so if Gothitelle ever gets unbanned I will switch back to Thunder Wave. Drain Punch allows Regirock to beat Normal-types and slower Golems. It also gives Regirock some healing, which can stack up quickly with Leftovers.

Rotom-Fan @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Hidden Power [Ground]

The main revenge killer of the team, Rotom-S, helps deal with Gorebyss and other fast Pokemon such as Cinccino and Swoobat. It is also my main switch-in to Ground-type attacks, although it can't beat very many Ground-types one-on-one. However, luring an Ice Punch or Stone Edge from the aforementioned Pokemon is more than enough to give Gurdurr or Samurott a free chance to come in. Volt Switch is one of the best move this generation and every offensive team should either have at least one user of it or have a U-Turner. Air Slash and Trick can be used to get myself out of tight situations, either by Flinching my way through the opponent or locking them into a move that the rest of my team resists.

Samurott @ Lum Berry
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Megahorn
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall

Samurott is one of the top sweepers in the tier, and both of its main counters can be trapped and killed by Gothitelle, as long as they do not have Shed Shell. The Jolly Lum Berry set lack power in some situations, but the utility of being able to set up on so many Pokemon or outpacing key threats is too useful to give up. What makes Samurott such an efficient sweeper are Aqua Jet and Torrent. It brings valuable priority to the team and if Samurott gets into Torrent range, Pokemon such as Zangoose, Cinccino, and Absol can even be OHKOed.

Skuntank @ Leftovers
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt

Skuntank removes or severely hurting counters to Gurdurr and Gothitelle. Without it, threats such as Musharna and Gardevoir can basically run over this team with their bulk / power and coverage. Skuntank basically does the grunt work of this team, firing off a Sucker Punch against faster threats and acting as death fodder, or bravely Taunting against something such as Golem or Piloswine to make sure Stealth Rocks don't go up. It's a nice counter to offensive Grass-types such as Serperior, Leafeon, and Exeggutor, which is useful if Rotom-S is down early.

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch

Even with Gothitelle running around, Gurdurr still swept frequently when I used this team. In fact, I could double switch and trap Gothitelle easily with Skuntank since Gurdurr lured it out almost every time. Gurdurr is great at beating down every Dark-type in the tier, which makes my own Gothitelle's life a lot easier. It's wonderful at sweeping late-game when the opponent's Fighting-type resists are all dead, and add yet another priority attack to this team.

Gothitelle @ Leftovers
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

This is by far my favorite Gothitelle set. It works extremely well against defensive teams since their Pokemon often have no way of breaking through RestTalk and Calm Mind. Shadow Tag works extremely well with a mono-attacking set since the opponent cannot switch to a counter and force Gothitelle out before it boosts up to untouchable levels. Any wall without a stat resetting or phazing move will be set up on easily. The great thing about this set is, it can come in on walls multiple times and beat them, while Substitue + Calm Mind sets will be worn down by the likes of Lickilicky.

Conclusion:

Obviously this team won't be as effective without Gothitelle. A possible replacement would be Calm Mind Musharna, but the opponent can simply switch out and preserve their wall. I am also considering Eelektross over Rotom-S to gain an resistance to the Electric-types which ravage this team. They can usually be dealt with, but nothing likes switching into Choice Specs Eelektross and Electabuzz.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
as USUAL another strong team from fooly cooly

it won't fulfill the exact same role as gothitelle did, but you can always try sub + 3 atks eelektross in its place. it can set up on and kill the same walls that samurott / gurdurr struggle with (amoong + alom), and has tons of offensive presence against opposing offensive teams. it also gives you a decently bulky elec resist! i wouldn't replace rotom-s for it, as dropping rotom-s makes you significantly weaker to stuff like gorebyss who can set up on non-twave regi and even samurott if it can dodge a megahorn. plus, you'd lose another fighting resist, which is already pretty bad without gothitelle.

really though, there's nothing that can replace gothitelle exactly and there's not even much else i can even think of that needs changing with this team. you done good, FLCL.

sub + 3 atks eelektross > buttitelle
eelektross @ leftovers | levitate
modest nature (+spa, -atk) | 128 hp / 252 spa / 128 spe
thunderbolt / flamethrower / giga drain / substitute​
amazing team and luvdisc :)

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I come back from visiting my college friends and suddenly I have a bunch of RMTs to rate! Even worse, Gothitelle is gone. :(

Zebraiken is right of course: nothing can really replace Gothitelle. I like the idea of Sub Sunny Day Exeggutor replacing Gothitelle though. It lets you keep your Psychic-Dark-Fighting core and gives you an Electric-resist as a bonus! Like Eelektross, it basically sets up on the walls that stop Samurott (and can get past defensive variants of Altaria much more easily). The super-effective hit against Golurk doesn't hurt either, nor does the last-ditch effort to prevent Ludicolo from tearing chunks from your team through Sunny Day.

Other than a few annoying Pokemon that can threaten you if you aren't careful (Rotom-F, Regice, Bolt-Beam users in general), this team has all its bases covered well. Exeggutor helps remove the counters to Samurott and Gurdurr pretty well, and they do the same in return. There is really nothing else that I can think of right now that needs to be changed.

Changes:

Exeggutor>Gothitelle

Exeggutor @ Leftovers
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Sunny Day
- Solarbeam
- Psyshock

As always, excellent team FLCL! Luvdisc! :pimp:

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Thanks for the rate guys! Eelektross and Exeggutor are both enticing options, although I'm leaning towards the latter more since it has better synergy with the rest of the team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)