1v1 BW Keldeo [GP 1/1]

Itchy

take all my data, what will you find?
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
:bw/keldeo:

[SET]
name: Bulky Reflect
move 1: Reflect
move 2: Hydro Pump
move 3: Secret Sword
move 4: Taunt / Icy Wind
item: Water Gem
ability: Justified
nature: Timid
evs: 32 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpA / 208 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=============
Reflect allows Keldeo to take on various physical attackers such as Garchomp, Sawk, and Choice Band Snorlax. Water Gem-boosted Hydro Pump does immense damage to neutral and super effective targets such as Genesect and Volcarona. Secret Sword OHKOes non-Chople Berry Tyranitar and gives Keldeo a better matchup versus Snorlax and Scrafty. Taunt provides utility for Keldeo, stopping various setup Pokemon like Calm Mind + Acid Armor Manaphy and Iron Defense + Amnesia Registeel. Icy Wind allows Keldeo to be more consistent against Haxorus and Garchomp.

EVs
=============
The defensive investment allows Keldeo to defeat Fighting Gem Conkeldurr by setting Reflect, as well as various other physical attackers like Sawk, Haxorus, and Garchomp. The Speed investment allows Keldeo to outspeed Garchomp.

Usage Tips
=============
Versus Snorlax, Keldeo must guess which set the opponent is using. Choosing to use Reflect versus Choice Band Snorlax wins, but then Keldeo may be blown back by Custap Berry + Belly Drum variants. If Keldeo uses Secret Sword, Choice Band Snorlax has a chance to OHKO it, but Snorlax will not be able to set Belly Drum. Each option is equally precarious. If Snorlax uses Defense Curl, Amnesia, Seismic Toss, or Rest, it is a stall variant, so use Taunt if you have it.

Against some physical attackers like Conkeldurr, it always best to set Reflect before attacking. If Keldeo is carrying Icy Wind, it should use it versus Sawk, Haxorus, and Garchomp. If Keldeo is not, it should attack them and hope they are not holding Choice Scarf.

Taunt allows Keldeo to act as a blanket check to stall Pokemon. If Keldeo is carrying Taunt, it should be used versus Manaphy, especially if you see it has Mail at Team Preview.

[SET]
name: All-out Offensive
move 1: Hydro Pump
move 2: Secret Sword
move 3: Icy Wind
move 4: Taunt
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=============
Keldeo's Water Gem-boosted Hydro Pump is immensely powerful; it OHKOes various Electric-types like Zapdos and Thundurus-T if they lack significant investment in bulk. So, at the teambuilding stage, they have to decide whether defeating Keldeo is worth sacrificing Speed. Secret Sword does consistent damage versus Snorlax and OHKOes non-Chople Berry Tyranitar. Icy Wind allows for Keldeo to be more reliable versus various Choice Scarf users like Haxorus, Sawk, and Garchomp. Taunt allows Keldeo to defeat stall Pokemon such as Manaphy and block Crustle's Shell Smash.

EVs
=============
4 Special Defense EVs force Genesect to get an Attack boost from Download instead of a Special Attack boost.

Usage Tips
=============
In most cases, offensive Keldeo just uses its best damaging move.

Use Icy Wind against Sawk, Haxorus, and Garchomp turn one to defeat Choice Scarf variants.

Versus Crustle and stall Pokemon like Mail Manaphy, use Taunt.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Choice Specs Keldeo is an option as well, with Focus Blast for Snorlax and Hidden Power Ghost for Jellicent and non-Psychic Cresselia. However, the ability to switch moves and potentially use Taunt is usually more useful. Wacan Berry Keldeo can lure in Electric-types, such as bulky Zapdos and Thundurus-T, but loses out on a lot of power by giving up Water Gem.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Itchy, 518399]]
- Quality checked by: [[Lumii, 493772], [neomon, 408904]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Adeleine, 517429]]

Last edited:
Good evening! Apologies for taking so long on this! I'll be easing back into working on whatever is pending though! Given that this is Keldeo of all analyses in this tier, I'm gonna nitpick a lot more than usual!

Reflect!
Reflect allows Keldeo to take on various physical attackers such as Garchomp, Sawk, and sometimes Snorlax.
Instead of saying sometimes Snorlax, you can likely just say offensive Snorlax that is not holding a Custap Berry or something along that line. I think it's good to be specific due to the annoying amount of sets that Snorlax has.

Secret Sword OHKOes non-Chople Tyranitar, and gives Keldeo a better matchup versus Snorlax, Scrafty, and opposing Water-types like Suicune.
You already mention Snorlax, so I think maybe going with something else here may be better. Instead of saying opposing Water-types, given that Jellicent, Custap Manaphy, and SubTect Suicune exist, maybe you can rephrase that to Pokemon with Calm Mind or something! Also, if I remember how to grammar this correctly with all the craziness that's going on in my life rn, I think it's grammatically correct to delete the first comma because the part after the ", and" is a dependent clause. I might be wrong, so you possibly should doublecheck this one though. Sorry I'm really sleepy atm and am barely functioning-

Taunt provides utility for Keldeo; it stops various setup Pokemon like Amnesia + Iron Defense Manaphy and Registeel, Belly Drum Snorlax, and Shell Smash Crustle. Icy Wind allows Keldeo to be more consistent against Haxorus and Garchomp.
Firstly, Manaphy does not get Amnesia or Iron Defense. It would probably be good to either group these together as Defensive stat boosting Pokemon or just splitting them up completely. I think it would be better to do the latter anyway. Against Belly Drum Snorlax, Keldeo often usually wins by clicking Secret Sword turn 1. For the current BW Sets Compendium Custap Snorlax set, with this Reflect Keldeo's EV spread, you have a 93.8% chance to stop a Belly Drum by outdamaging Snorlax. Either way, you have an issue if it carries Custap Berry + Belly Drum + Return + Giga Impact, which is what I tend to run whenever I use Custap Snorlax. Defense Curl sets have not really seen any tournament use this year from what I could tell, so I'm not sure if this is even worth mentioning unless there's something I'm very blatantly missing here. Most Stall sets are just using Charm anyway due to the better matchup spread and giving up the Keldeo matchup (I think?). Idk what to really do with that info though, your choice on whether to keep it or not, just dm me on discord or reply here with any reasoning if you're gonna keep it. Next, I think Crustle shouldn't be mentioned given that +2 252+ Attack Rock Gem Rock Wrecker doesn't OHKO (+2 252+ Atk Rock Gem Crustle Rock Wrecker vs. 32 HP / 252 Def Keldeo: 274-323 (82.7 - 97.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO). Also, Keldeo wins this matchup if it uses Icy Wind as well, so it should not be a matchup that is mentioned in the slash here in my opinion.

Versus Snorlax, Keldeo must guess which set the opponent is using. Choosing to use Reflect versus Choice Band Snorlax wins, but Keldeo may be blown back by Custap Berry + Belly Drum variants. If Keldeo uses Secret Sword, Choice Band Snorlax has a chance to OHKO it, but Snorlax will not be able to set Belly Drum. If Snorlax uses Defense Curl, Amnesia, Seismic Toss, or Rest, they are a stall variant, so use Taunt if you have it.
Probs needs a rephrase it uhh... seems not very concise. or something. idk.

"Reflect Keldeo needs to guess which set Snorlax is using. Against Choice Band sets, use Reflect. Against Custap Berry sets, use Secret Sword. Against stall sets, use Taunt if Keldeo has it." Also, avoid the use of the phrase "if you have it" at the end of this. Probs this isn't the best rephrase because it lets some parts go, but I think this part could very easily be made more concise.

Against some physical attackers like Conkeldurr and Crustle,
Crustle doesn't work here for reasons I outlined earlier. I'm just gonna say this here but I absolutely love the spread you created and the fact that it's so cool in calcs against Conkeldurr is awesome. Seeing it add up to 99.5 made me immensely happy for no reason omg.... Anyway Crustle. You could just click Icy Wind anyway though, so that's also an option there ig but this spread should not be really worrying about that too much.

Taunt allows Keldeo to act as a blanket check to stall. If Keldeo is carrying Taunt, should be used versus Manaphy and Suicune, especially if you see they have Mail at Team Preview.
Couple things in this bit. This is actually something I'm super curious about, but do we have a distinction between PP Stall and Stall for 1v1? I know that this isn't something that applies elsewhere, but I wonder if C&C has anything about that in their standards. If there is no distinction for this, however, Raikou. Second thing, you used "you" in the analysis again! :criii:

All-Out Offensive!
various Electric-types Zapdos, and Thundurus-T
you forgot a word here, umm... grammar is annoying sometimes!

whether defeating Keldeo is worth sacrificing Speed or Special Attack
This actually ends up reading a but weirdly to me and I am not able to really understand at first glance. Do Electric-types have to pick one or the other to beat Keldeo? Do they have to invest this into bulk to survive Hydro Pump? Can you just say "without bulk investment" or something amongst those lines?

Secret Sword does consistent damage versus Snorlax, and OHKOes non-Chople Tyranitar
This is another "comma and" situation that I detailed earlier, if I'm wrong about this you can let this pass but please do check the thing. I do think it's supposed to have a "comma and" if you're connecting two independent clauses though, and the second part of that is not an independent clause.

Icy Wind allows for Keldeo to be more reliable versus various Choice Scarf users like Haxorus, Sawk, and Garchomp. Taunt allows Keldeo to defeat stall such as Manaphy and Suicune and block Crustle's Shell Smash.
Once again, figure out if there's a distinction between stall and PP stall. Also, Icy Wind also beats Crustle, so you can probably remove that. Also, like in the Reflect analysis, you may want to say certain Calm Mind users instead of grouping Suicune and Manaphy into stall but I think this is a writer's choice.

4 Special Defense EVs force Genesect to get an Attack boost from Download.
Please mention why this matters because I think that people who are unfamiliar with the tier and how Genesect is used here might get confused about why this is important.

Versus Crustle and stall Pokemon like Mail Cresselia, use Taunt.
Same Crustle thing again.

Choice Specs Keldeo is an option as well, with Focus Blast for Snorlax and Hidden Power Ghost for Jellicent and mono Ice Beam Cresselia. However, the ability to switch moves and use Taunt is usually more useful. Wacan Berry Keldeo can lure in Electric-types, such as bulky Zapdos or Thundurus-T, but this set loses out on a lot of power by giving up Water Gem.
Super nitpicky here, but I think you can remove "as well" in the first sentence and "this set" in the last sentence. This is probably down to your choice though!

Sorry for being extremely nitpicky here, gonna end up giving a 1/2 on the QC here despite all the changes because quite a few of these changes go more into GP than QC. Once these are implemented you know what to do!!

Lumii_Small.gif

:sm/stufful:
(also have a stufful for motivation!!)

Last edited:
oki qc 1/2 has been given in dms yay!

(this is just for official confirmation or something!)

now the hard part, getting neomon, crucify, or deg to do another-

:bw/keldeo:

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=============
Reflect allows Keldeo to take on various physical attackers such as Garchomp, Sawk, and Choice Band Snorlax. Water Gem Hydro Pump does immense amounts of damage to neutral and super effective targets such as Genesect and Volcarona. Secret Sword OHKOes non-Chople Tyranitar and gives Keldeo a better matchup versus Snorlax and Scrafty. Taunt provides utility for Keldeo; it stops various setup Pokemon like Calm Mind + Acid Armor Manaphy and Iron Defense + Amnesia Registeel. Icy Wind allows Keldeo to be more consistent against Haxorus and Garchomp.

EVs
=============
The defensive investment allows Keldeo to defeat Fighting Gem Conkeldurr by setting Reflect, which also allows Keldeo to defeat various other physical attackers like Sawk, Haxorus, and Garchomp. this sentence sounds overly complicated, imo rephrase but i guess gp can tell you to do that too The Speed investment allows Keldeo to outspeed Garchomp.

Usage Tips
=============
Versus Snorlax, Keldeo must guess which set the opponent is using. Choosing to use Reflect versus Choice Band Snorlax wins, but Keldeo may be blown back by Custap Berry + Belly Drum variants. If Keldeo uses Secret Sword, Choice Band Snorlax has a chance to OHKO it, but Snorlax will not be able to set Belly Drum. If Snorlax uses Defense Curl, Amnesia, Seismic Toss, or Rest, they are a stall variant, so use Taunt if you have it.

Against some physical attackers like Conkeldurr, it always best to set Reflect before attacking. If Keldeo is carrying Icy Wind, it should use it versus Sawk, Haxorus, and Garchomp. If Keldeo is not, it should attack them and hope they are not holding Choice Scarf.

Taunt allows Keldeo to act as a blanket check to stall. If Keldeo is carrying Taunt, should be used versus Manaphy, especially if you see they have Mail at Team Preview.

[SET]
name: All-Out Offensive

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=============
Keldeo's Water Gem Hydro Pump is immensely powerful; various Electric-types like Zapdos and Thundurus-T are OHKOed by it without significant investment, so they have to decide whether defeating Keldeo is worth sacrificing Speed. Secret Sword does consistent damage versus Snorlax and OHKOes non-Chople Tyranitar. Icy Wind allows for Keldeo to be more reliable versus various Choice Scarf users like Haxorus, Sawk, and Garchomp. Taunt allows Keldeo to defeat stall such as Manaphy and block Crustle's Shell Smash.

EVs
=============
4 Special Defense EVs force Genesect to get an Attack boost from Download instead of a Special Attack boost.

Usage Tips
=============
In most cases, offensive Keldeo just uses Hydro Pump or Secret Sword. Magnezone should often click the move that does the most damage this just with keldeo here, this sentence sounds cloudy

Use Icy Wind against Sawk, Haxorus, and Garchomp turn 1 to defeat Choice Scarf variants.

Versus Crustle and stall Pokemon like Mail Cresselia Manaphy, why taunt vs cress, idt we should be telling people to taunt it,maybe mention another stall mon aswell (no i couldnt think of any good ones rn), use Taunt.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Choice Specs Keldeo is an option as well, with Focus Blast for Snorlax and Hidden Power Ghost for Jellicent and non-Psychic Cresselia. However, the ability to switch moves and use Taunt is usually more useful. Wacan Berry Keldeo can lure in Electric-types, such as bulky Zapdos or Thundurus-T, but loses out on a lot of power by giving up Water Gem.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[username1, userid1], [username2, userid2]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]
some very small things to redo here good stuff

once you implement count that as 2/2

Last edited:

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add/Fix Remove Comment
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=============
Reflect allows Keldeo to take on various physical attackers such as Garchomp, Sawk, and Choice Band Snorlax. Water Gem-boosted Hydro Pump does immense amounts of damage to neutral and super effective targets such as Genesect and Volcarona. Secret Sword OHKOes non-Chople Berry Tyranitar and gives Keldeo a better matchup versus Snorlax and Scrafty. Taunt provides utility for Keldeo; it stops Keldeo, stopping various setup Pokemon like Calm Mind + Acid Armor Manaphy and Iron Defense + Amnesia Registeel. Icy Wind allows Keldeo to be more consistent against Haxorus and Garchomp.

EVs
=============
The defensive investment allows Keldeo to defeat Fighting Gem Conkeldurr by setting Reflect, as well as various other physical attackers like Sawk, Haxorus, and Garchomp. The Speed investment allows Keldeo to outspeed Garchomp.

Usage Tips
=============
Versus Snorlax, Keldeo must guess which set the opponent is using. Choosing to use Reflect versus Choice Band Snorlax wins, but then Keldeo may be blown back by Custap Berry + Belly Drum variants. If Keldeo uses Secret Sword, Choice Band Snorlax has a chance to OHKO it, but Snorlax will not be able to set Belly Drum. (imo, if possible, say which one is better to use first and explain why, or if they're about equally good to use first, say smth like that.) If Snorlax uses Defense Curl, Amnesia, Seismic Toss, or Rest, they are it is a stall variant, so use Taunt if you have it.

Taunt allows Keldeo to act as a blanket check to stall Pokemon. If Keldeo is carrying Taunt, it should be used versus Manaphy, especially if you see they have it has Mail at Team Preview.

[SET]
name: All-Out All-out Offensive

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=============
Keldeo's Water Gem-boosted Hydro Pump is immensely powerful; it OHKOes various Electric-types like Zapdos and Thundurus-T are OHKOed by it without if they lack significant (bulk? specially defensive? Special Defense? add whichever, or something else, that's appropriate) investment, so at the teambuilding stage, they have to decide whether defeating Keldeo is worth sacrificing Speed. Secret Sword does consistent damage versus Snorlax and OHKOes non-Chople Berry Tyranitar. Icy Wind allows for Keldeo to be more reliable versus various Choice Scarf users like Haxorus, Sawk, and Garchomp. Taunt allows Keldeo to defeat stall Pokemon such as Manaphy and block Crustle's Shell Smash.

EVs
=============

Usage Tips
=============
In most cases, offensive Keldeo just uses its best damaging move.

Use Icy Wind against Sawk, Haxorus, and Garchomp turn 1 one to defeat Choice Scarf variants.

Versus Crustle and stall Pokemon like Mail Manaphy, use Taunt.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Choice Specs Keldeo is an option as well, with Focus Blast for Snorlax and Hidden Power Ghost for Jellicent and non-Psychic Cresselia. However, the ability to switch moves and potentially use Taunt is usually more useful. Wacan Berry Keldeo can lure in Electric-types, such as bulky Zapdos or and Thundurus-T, but loses out on a lot of power by giving up Water Gem.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[Lumii, 493772], [neomon, 408904]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429]]

Finland_Small.gif
1/1
GP Team done

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)