Old Gens BW OU Mamoswine

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Mamoswine @ Never-Melt Ice
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Icicle Crash

How do you make one of the hardest Pokemon to switch into even tougher to handle? Use Substitute so you don't need to predict. The only Pokemon that resists Ice and Ground coverage in BW OU is Rotom-W, which gets worn down quickly between sand, Stealth Rock, and the many threats it's tasked with checking. Mamoswine finds many chances to set up Substitute, as it can force out slower Pokemon like Tyranitar, Magnezone, and Heatran and also force out faster Pokemon like Latios, Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Garchomp with Ice Shard. As a result, it is a massive threat against many offensive teams, particularly DragMag teams.

Latios is a good partner for Mamoswine, as it checks Rotom-W, one of its few safe switch-ins, and Keldeo, which can otherwise outspeed and OHKO Mamoswine, since it resists Ice Shard. In return, Mamoswine can threaten its checks such as Tyranitar, Jirachi, and Heatran. Magnezone is a great partner, as it can trap Skarmory and Ferrothorn, which Mamoswine struggles to break through. Pokemon that can set entry hazards such as Tyranitar and Ferrothorn are also helpful to secure Ice Shard KOs and break Multiscale on Dragonite. U-turn and Volt Switch users such as Jirachi and Rotom-W are also good partners, as Mamoswine can sometimes be difficult to bring in otherwise.

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I would throw in a mention of Mamoswine pairing well with slow U-turn/Volt Switch users like Stealth Rock Jirachi, which you see on DragMag, or Rotom-Wash of your own. This allows for it to get in safely, which it oftentimes struggles to do due to average bulk and some common weaknesses.

You can also backslash Jolly so you can outrun Adamant Excadrill, bulky Thundurus-Therian, offensive Heatran, and a few other Pokemon.

Rest looks great, 1/1

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
add remove (comments)
Mamoswine @ Never-Melt Ice
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Icicle Crash

How do you make one of the hardest Pokemon to switch into even tougher to handle? Use Substitute so you don't need to predict. The only Pokemon to resist that resists Ice and Ground coverage in BW OU is Rotom-W, which gets worn down quickly between sand, Stealth Rock, and the many threats it's tasked with checking. Mamoswine finds many chances to set up Substitutes, (AC) as it can force out slower Pokemon like Tyranitar, Magnezone, and Heatran, (RC) and can also force out faster Pokemon like Latios, Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Garchomp with Ice Shard. As a result, it is a massive threat against many offensive teams, particularly DragMag (correct me if i'm wrong but isn't dragmag a type of core rather than a team?).

Latios is a good partner for Mamoswine, (AC) as it checks Rotom-W, one of its few safe switch-ins, and Keldeo, which can otherwise outspeed and OHKO Mamoswine as, (AC) since it resists Ice Shard. In return, Mamoswine can threaten its checks such as Tyranitar, Jirachi, and Heatran. Magnezone is a great partner, (AC) as it can trap Skarmory and Ferrothorn, which Mamoswine struggles to break through. Pokemon that can set up entry hazards such as Tyranitar and Ferrothorn are also helpful to secure Ice Shard KOs and break Multiscale on Dragonite. U-turn and Volt Switch users such as Jirachi and Rotom-W are also good partners, as Mamoswine can sometimes be difficult to bring in otherwise.
1/1 :blobthumbsup:
Estronic-GP-small.gif

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)