Cacturne

Status
Not open for further replies.
[OVERVIEW]

+Very Strong Mixed Wallbreaker sporting base 115 attacking stats
+Excellent Neutral Coverage
+Strong Priority
+Threatening to Psychic types, colbur or not.
+Best Special Dark Type in the tier
-Very Slow, makes playing against certain teams difficult
-High Frailty, makes getting offensive opportunities difficult
-The Psychic Types it checks generally run Signal Beam/Ice Beam/U-turn to hit it hard

[SET]
name: Mixturne
move 1:Giga Drain/Energy Ball
move 2:Dark Pulse
move 3:Sucker Punch
move 4:Spiky Shield
item:Life Orb
ability:Water Absorb
nature:Mild
evs:4 Atk/252 Spa/252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

-Cacturne gets most use out of this set
-Strong Priority
-Good Scouting Potential
-Very Good Wallbreaker

Moves
========

-Giga Drain is effective Stab that recovers HP
-Energy is used as a pure power move
-Dark Pulse is Cacturne's most spammable move, as there is only a few noticeable switches
-Sucker Punch is strong priority, even with little investment
-Spiky Shield is a good scouting move, with the ability to break sashes and sturdy of physical attackers/getting solid residual.

Set Details
========

-LO+Mild is so you can wallbreak well, as it gives the most power
-Max Speed makes it outspeed as much as possible
-4 Atk>any HP because cacturne is so frail-needs boost for sucker

Usage Tips
========

-Dangerous Wallbreaker, needs free turns to come in
-Can be used as a revenge killer with sucker punch
-Best used as a wallbreaker on a balance style team, as it can't take a hit or outspeed offense mons

Team Options
========

-Slow mon, benefits from hazard support
-benefits from good speed control
-needs team mates to control fire types and fighting types
-Pairs fairly well with rotom-n and rotom-f due to their ability to check bird+fight spam.
-Appreciates AV Yama's presence to deter ice and fire types from constantly spamming super effective moves
-Xatu can pair well here as it is a fighting check who can also deter hazards such as tspikes and rocks, which hurt cacturne with residual

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

-Spikes, Although it is a mediocre HO Lead.
-Dbond. Too slow to use, and very situational
-Nasty Plot is an option if your team can give it the proper support

Checks and Counters
===================

-Cacturne has a difficult time with offensive teams as it is too slow to do anything in most cases, although the priority helps
-Magmortar. Magmortar has a free switch in to cacturne most times when Cacturne comes out, and really struggles to beat it with the proper support
-Bulky Fighting types have an easy time constantly switching in to cacturne's dark pulse, and less so giga drain/eball. Be wary of these pokemon
-Bulky Evio Scyther. This gets a lot of free switch-ins to cacturne with great natural bulk and eviolite. Spiky Shield helps in whittling, but in the end, it's all shrugged off by a roost.
-Toxic Spikes. Tspikes hurt cacturne due to consistent presence of double residual turn-per-turn from life orb+poison.

Last edited:

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The images are just going to make more work for you in the long run, as you'd have to delete them eventually since the Dex won't accept them. Look at this thread to understand how to format C&C. But for C&C, it is not even a proper one, you don't explain how these types/Pokemon are checks and counters. To be perfectly honest, it looks like you just chose some random mons that have a type that hits Cacturne super effectively and put them here. I highly suggest looking at other analyses to see what the QC team would want. Incidentally, you also are not supposed to write this up, you need to have it in bullet points until it passes 2 qc checks. Content-wise, there's no point listing the stats in the Overview, people can just scroll up and see the stats.

EDIT: try pointing out Cacturne's niche in the meta, and work on Usage tips too.

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
hey lolbro I'm gonna run through this and help get this sorted before you put this into QC mode. I know it's your first analysis so I'll go easy on you.

Before you read any of these suggestions I highly recommend you look at other, successful analyses before you continue with this analysis and any you have planned. Take note of everything the author will mention in each section and how you can apply that to your own analyses.
[OVERVIEW]

+Very Strong Mixed Wallbreaker sporting base 115 attacking stats
+Excellent Neutral Coverage
+Strong Priority
+Threatening to Psychic types, colbur or not.
+Best Special Dark Type in the tier
-Very Slow, makes playing against certain teams difficult
-High Frailty, makes getting offensive opportunities difficult
-The Psychic Types it checks generally run Signal Beam/Ice Beam/U-turn to hit it hard
First, your overview should be summarizing every reason of why you would and why you wouldn't use this mon. You have some incorrect information starting out here
  • Saying Cacturne has excellent neutral coverage is misleading because it implies there aren't any resists to it when that isn't true. Skuntank and Mawile with some less important mons like Zweilous and Vullaby all resist Cacturne's STABs. You should change the wording of this to "few resists for its STABs" or something similar
  • "Strong priority" with what? You have to mention names.
  • It's counter productive to say "good against psychics" then go on to say "psychics all carry signal beam." Mention the names of Psychic-types that Cacturne beats if you'd like to keep this point
  • There's a lot of information left out here. Cacturne's great offensively yet terrible defensively typing, its immunity to Scald/other water moves, its great utility options, being outclassed by shiftry, and others that I'm sure a more in-depth QC check will get
[SET]
name: Mixturne
move 1:Giga Drain/Energy Ball
move 2:Dark Pulse
move 3:Sucker Punch
move 4:Spiky Shield
item:Life Orb
ability:Water Absorb
nature:Mild
evs:4 Atk/252 Spa/252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

-Cacturne gets most use out of this set
-Strong Priority
-Good Scouting Potential
-Very Good Wallbreaker
  • Spikes should be slashed before Spiky Shield, it's one of the very few reasons to use this over Shiftry
  • don't write anything under Set Comments, it's there to indicate a specific section of the analysis, not for more Overview stuff
Moves
========

-Giga Drain is effective Stab that recovers HP
-Energy is used as a pure power move
-Dark Pulse is Cacturne's most spammable move, as there is only a few noticeable switches
-Sucker Punch is strong priority, even with little investment
-Spiky Shield is a good scouting move, with the ability to break sashes and sturdy of physical attackers/getting solid residual.

Set Details
========

-LO+Mild is so you can wallbreak well, as it gives the most power
-Max Speed makes it outspeed as much as possible
-4 Atk>any HP because cacturne is so frail-needs boost for sucker
Despite some awkward wording (GP will handle that) this section looks ok from a basic stand point. Make sure you mention why you chose Water Absorb.

Usage Tips
========

-Dangerous Wallbreaker, needs free turns to come in
-Can be used as a revenge killer with sucker punch
-Best used as a wallbreaker on a balance style team, as it can't take a hit or outspeed offense mons
I understand that Usage Tips can be hard to come up with, so try and look off of other wallbreak mons' analyses. Look at some of Cacturne's unique traits like its Water immunity, Psychic immunity, etc when writing these out. Basically all three of your current tips need botched and replaced.

Team Options
========

-Slow mon, benefits from hazard support
-benefits from good speed control
-needs team mates to control fire types and fighting types
-Pairs fairly well with rotom-n and rotom-f due to their ability to check bird+fight spam.
-Appreciates AV Yama's presence to deter ice and fire types from constantly spamming super effective moves
-Xatu can pair well here as it is a fighting check who can also deter hazards such as tspikes and rocks, which hurt cacturne with residual
Going to stress the need for mentioning examples again for stuff like Speed control and Hazard support. This section is ok but QC will go more in depth with it when we get into it.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

-Spikes, Although it is a mediocre HO Lead.
-Dbond. Too slow to use, and very situational
-Nasty Plot is an option if your team can give it the proper support
I like adding SD, Sash Counter, and Focus Blast (for less relevant stuff like Zweilous) here and moving Spikes out, otherwise this section is fine

Checks and Counters
===================

-Cacturne has a difficult time with offensive teams as it is too slow to do anything in most cases, although the priority helps
-Magmortar. Magmortar has a free switch in to cacturne most times when Cacturne comes out, and really struggles to beat it with the proper support
-Bulky Fighting types have an easy time constantly switching in to cacturne's dark pulse, and less so giga drain/eball. Be wary of these pokemon
-Bulky Evio Scyther. This gets a lot of free switch-ins to cacturne with great natural bulk and eviolite. Spiky Shield helps in whittling, but in the end, it's all shrugged off by a roost.
-Toxic Spikes. Tspikes hurt cacturne due to consistent presence of double residual turn-per-turn from life orb+poison.
Your formatting here is messed up and so are all your checks.
First, your formatting should look like this: **Check Name**: this is why I check Cacturne
Next, while I don't expect you to get all of Cacturne's checks in one go, you shouldn't be listing stuff randomly. "Bulky Fighting-types" don't exist in NU aside from Gurdurr and Hariyama and Gurdurr doesn't switch into Cacturne. Change Cacturne's "matchup against offense" to something along the lines of it being weak to revenge killers because of its reliance on Sucker Punch/low speed.
For this section especially, I'll stress that you look at other analyses for examples. I'm not going to write this section for you, but there are more than a couple things left out here that beat Cacturne. Try looking at options that fit on defensive teams.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/writing-nu-analyses-required-reading.3533601/
this thread is also a great starting spot for a first-timer. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me on PS and I'll do my best if I'm not busy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)