ORAS OU Call Con Edison!

Introduction

Hey everyone, I'd like to show a team my friend DeeJ and I built together. I initially found the concept of electric spam very cool after seeing Stathakis defeat Ben Gay with it during WCOP. I approached TDK afterwards and asked him about the team and he gave me a brief run down of his thought process when building it. Anyway, our good friend Mack Bus provided us with a dual electric core and asked us to build a team around it so we did. I noticed that random users were using the team on ladder and in tours so we figured it's time to post it. Anyway, this team has solid tournament results doing well in the OU suspect tour (reached quarter finals) and other tours. It achieved reqs during the sableye suspect with a nice record of 52-12 or something. The team also peaked #5 on the ladder. Proof of peak: http://imgur.com/aj6TQ6t

DeeJ said to listen to this as you read:

The Team At a Glance

Team Building Process by DeeJ

Got this nice Elec spam here. Left Thundy's set the same because it honestly works best with Mane (although I'd consider Sludge over Iron Tail for an accurate move vs Clef & Alt)

Thundurus & Manectric, despite being an amazing "Spam" Offensive core, they get walled out by mons such as opposing CM Raikou, Zard X, the ever so annoying SpDef Heatran, threatened offensively by Scarf Kyurem-B / opposing Defiant Thundurus, and even Volcarona since it sets up on both Thundurus & Manectric freely. This is why we decided to go with Scarf Chomp as the next member. Beats +1 threats like the aforementioned Zard & Volcarona, and surprises opposing Electric types with its Speed / beats any form of Heatran bar a burn.

Looking at these three, Altaria could set up fairly easily if it ever got in on a choice locked Chomp or Manectric. The three are also vulnerable to the Lati twins & Mega Diancie. SpDef Jirachi was a great choice here, being able to pivot into Fairies & Dragons, provide rocks and form a Volt-Turn core with Manectric, giving the team alot of momentum. Healing Wish was chosen over T-Wave since this team is literally already built on speed control, and supporting our various win conditions can be very beneficial in a game.

These four were very, very weak to Keldeo (if its in vs anything not named X Electric), Sand, Sableye, Weavile, Bisharp etc It was clear to me that finishing off the team with a two mon core that can pivot into or deal with these threats offensively was a sound solution; so thats why we went with the nice and powerful PhysDef Manaphy+SD Breloom core. Manaphy being able to pivot into Keldeo is very nice, as well as beating Excadrill, Weavile and Sableye quite easily due to its fantastic bulk. Breloom can usually always check Bisharp and acts as a secondary check to Sand teams. Manectric+Jirachi+Breloom is such an insane momentum grabbing core since one or the other will constantly put pressure on a team or on each others checks (Example of this is Manectric Volting on a T-Tar or doubling into Breloom on a Hippo, damaging the incoming Lati w/ a very strong Superpower, then being able to safely pivot into Jirachi for more momentum or free rocks) So the three form an excellent "Chain" in that sense. Two stallbreakers is also ridiculously lovely =]

An In-depth Look

Main Bus Driver (Manectric-Mega) @ Manectite
Ability: Static
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flamethrower

The Manectric set is as standard as it gets. Thunderbolt is a strong stab move that allows it to threaten bulky waters and hit a variety of things for solid neutral damage. HP Ice allows it to hit those annoying garchomps, landos, and gliscors that are immune to tbolt. Flamethrower rounds out the coverage very nicely as it makes conventional fast electric checks into non checks. Things like ferrothorn can no longer wall it and it also makes mane a very nice scizor check (also due to intimidate). Lastly, volt switch is great for grabbing momentum and getting out of bad match ups while still doing some necessary chip damage. Manectric is very nice in creating momentum for the team. Consider this scenario: there's a manectric in vs a lati, you can volt switch out into jirachi and then u turn out on the incoming bulky ground into breloom. It just helps keep the match up in your favor as much as possible.

Thundurust (Thundurus) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Knock Off
- Grass Knot
- Iron Tail

Thundurus forms the second part of the electric spam core that aims to eliminate or weaken mega mane checks. Thunderbolt is the mandatory stab that allows it to threaten many bulky waters and hit a lot of things for solid neutral damage like heatran, scizor, etc. Knock off hits the lati twins pretty hard, grass knot removes hippo, quagsire, and seismitoad, and iron tail does a good chunk of damage. Tbolt+knock off always kills the latis while tbolt+iron tail always kills clef. The EVs are to maximize the damage output thundy needs to do from both sides of the spectrum.

Charged Up (Garchomp) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge

Garchomp is such a potent offensive threat since its stabs hit really hard and pretty much hit everything in the metagame except skarmory. With a choice scarf, you can net some surprise kills since bulky chomp and sd sets are much more common nowadays. Not much to say here besides that it helps us check fast electrics, fast electric checks like zardx, and revenge kill a bunch of stuff like volcarona. It also helps us get rid of spdef tran which is pretty annoying for the team. Not only is the surprise factor important, but also the spammable stab moves. Scarf chomp is a really underrated scarfer than can really pull its weight in matches.

Wish Maker (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 140 SpD / 116 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish/Heart Stamp

Jirachi is such an important member of the team because it provides rocks, a lati switch in, altaria switch in, mega diancie switch in, garde switch in, pretty much every dragon/fairy out there which threaten the first three members of the team. Iron head is crucial in order to threaten fairies and actually try and beat clef (unless it's twave), u-turn is for that nice momentum and getting out of bad match ups, and stealth rock is the best move in the game which gives us the necessary chip damage to turn 2hkos into 1hkos. We selected the last move as healing wish since it's such a clutch move that can bring back a weakened mon but feel it can be replaced with something like heart stamp (considering we get wrecked by venu). Also, the speed on Jirachi ensures you can outrun Chomps so you can H-Wish before they potentially kill you.

Tom (Manaphy) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Rain Dance
- Calm Mind

Honestly, this Mana set is broken as hell. Yeah the TG+3 attacks set is nice but this set really allows mana to get past its conventional counters. With maximum defense investment, it acts just like crocune in that it uses those frail physical attackers as set up bait and once it gets to +2 with calm mind, it can 1v1 every electric/grass in the tier. Mono scald isn't even bad since it's only walled by something like gastrodon or seismitoad which are handled by teammates and are uncommon in the tier. Rest in conjunction with rain dance and hydration makes for reliable recovery.

Mac Bus (Breloom) @ Life Orb/Lansat Berry
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Superpower/Natural Gift
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance

Breloom is criminally underrated. It's really good at the moment and can dismantle so many bulky teams while still pressuring offensive teams with its powerful priority. It's a powerful sand check and wall breaker that works very nicely with manectric since it just takes advantage of being brought in through a volt switch on things like tyranitar, clef, and can threaten hippo. It also helps vs lopunny and bisharp with mach punch. Superpower was chosen over spore since you can immediately kill tran and it bops skarm allowing you to literally 6-0 some stall builds. In combination with manaphy, the team now has a good match up vs opposing weather teams. With Lansat berry+natural gift, it allows Loom to hit venusaur/amoongus a lot harder.

Conclusion

This team is both very fun and effective. Electric Spam itself is a really good and underrated Offensive strategy that should definitely be explored a bit more. Hope you guys enjoy the team. It's a really fun one and has been successful for quite some time. Please let us know if there is any way we can improve it. Thanks for reading!

Threatlist

Zard X - There's no direct switch in. Manaphy can only force it to attack then you'd ideally want to revenge with Chomp

Excadrill - Has a chance to 2HKO Manaphy after Rocks. Not to huge of a problem though because Chomp takes a hit if healthy, and Breloom revenges if they want to make the foolish play of SD'ing

Hoopa - Breloom can only take one Hyperspace, but theres so much Offensive pressure that this should never easily get inside

Keldeo (Specs)- Sword forces Manaphy to Rest, while a well timed HP Electric can cleanly 2HKO

Thundurus (Mixed) - Manectric can't switch into this, and Jirachi takes a ton from Knock Off. Scarf Chomp is a good check, but shouldn't be switched directly in because of both Hp Ice and Knock. Luckily, though, this variant of Thundurus isn't very common anymore

Zard Y - The switch in is Garchomp..once LOL

Gengar - Team has no Ghost resist and it switches into Breloom / choice locked Chomp freely

Medicham - The team lacks a very good Fighting resist

Venusaur - Manaphy can set up on this, and Jirachi can potentially flinch it to death, but other than that, hard to deal with since nothing OHKOs it. You may be forced to sack Breloom vs this to get off a +2 Superpower

Amoonguss - Even bigger problem than Venusaur because of Clear Smog+Spore laughing at Manaphy

Rotom-W - Nothing appreciates getting burned, but in exchange everything pressures it immensely

Shoutouts

Mack Bus I know you quit mons but you're just a great guy <3 thanks for giving us this core
Contorted Lies for peaking the team
Lord Wallace for using it in the suspect tour

TDK for the initial idea and for being a nice user
Genesis7 is a cute user too
fleggumfl for being cool af

ed wins for being my favorite (BAN ME PLEASE)
and everyone from pokemon central <3

And thanks to IronBullet and Hikari for the initial help with the thing (lol you guys remember)

Replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-300112841 -vs Mob
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-299809125 -vs some ladder guy
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-107809 -vs Tesung
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-100195 -vs FlamingVictini (OLT Playoffs)

Importable

Main Bus Driver (Manectric-Mega) @ Manectite
Ability: Static
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flamethrower

Thundurust (Thundurus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Knock Off
- Grass Knot
- Iron Tail

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 140 SpD / 116 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish

Tom (Manaphy) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Rain Dance
- Calm Mind

Mac Bus (Breloom) @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance

Last edited:
Your team has obviously had a lot of success, but you could consider CB Azumarill over Breloom, which gives you a fighting resist, as well as a check to Keldeo + sand.

Your team has obviously had a lot of success, but you could consider CB Azumarill over Breloom, which gives you a fighting resist, as well as a check to Keldeo + sand.
While that does sound like a good change, there are many problems with it. One being it would cause the team to just lose to Bisharp, and PuP variants of Lopunny would be even more annoying to deal with, as Chomp would be forced to lock itself into Outrage to revenge it. Rotom would also be allowed more free switch ins, which the team doesn't really want to do considering its hella annoying already. Mega Media still 2HKOs w/ HJK

The Ground resistance is also appreciated

This team is beatiful vs Lop HO, mega Sciz teams (mane+Defiant thund+ fat mana+ scarf chomp for raikou is too much for generic mega Sciz teams), sableye(fat mana usually just 6-0'd)
Defiant thund for chansey skarm, though I would've liked Superpower > Knot(bisharp, tran, ferro etc, ie mons that you have to play carefully around to bring loom in safely), since breloom hits Hippo, Quag, etc. And you have HW to keep it healthy. Thats the only suggestion but I'm sure DeeJ has a reason.
Love iron tail since it's usually unexpected and T Bolt into Iron Tail has a good chance to take out standard clef on the switch in. The list goes on

Kthx basically I love the team

Last edited:

Exiline

Banned deucer.
is a Past SCL Championis a Two-Time Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
Nice team but you should use lightning rod instead of static in manectric so you clan switch on Volt Swich/Thunder Wave/etc.

Nice team but you should use lightning rod instead of static in manectric so you clan switch on Volt Swich/Thunder Wave/etc.
Remember how you click Volt Switch vs "Mega" Gardevoir, but it doesn't actually mega evolve, gets the lightning rod boost and OHKO's your Mane turn 1? Yeah me too.
I'm sure I have replays of that happening if you want.
Gardevoir switch ins don't really exist on offensive teams.

p2

Banned deucer.
hows the team weak to gardevoir it has jirachi........

but yeah obii, this team looks really nice, but to loosen the pressure Venusaur / Amoonguss puts on this team, I'd run Psychic on Thundurus or Manaphy (I'm thinking changing Mana to Tail Glow Rain Dance because it still bypasses a bunch of common counters in Chansey, Clefable and Venu and Rain doesn't hurt your team that badly. it's also a nice check to modest zard y and can beat timid with a speed tie win) in order to lure it out and weaken it for the rest of your team because it looks like such a huge problem for your team.

Manaphy @ Leftovers | Hydration
Timid Nature | 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Rain Dance / Scald / Tail Glow / Psychic

Obii and Darius this team is cash. I've been looking at a bit and wanted to address a couple things.

1) Not enough electric spam. Get CM Raikou and Choice Band Zebstrika to join the party.

2) I can see Spikes being a tad annoying. Obviously this is offense so you won't be doing a ton of switching but it could really wear down Manectric especially if it is Volt Switching and revenge killing mons. Perhaps Naive Garchomp with Fire Blast to help you beat take on the main Spikers of OU?

Miridy

♩_♩
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey there, congrats the two of you for the ladder peak! Having said that the team has problems against bulky grass types with recovery options such as Amoonguss, Tangrowth and Mega Venusaur, specifically speaking you have 4 members on your team that can't do nothing against MVenu and if said MVenu is defensive even 'chomp will have troubles, while Amoonguss may also have Clear Smog in order to reset any Manaphy's boost, if we consider how Amoonguss is a common partner to Mega Sableye's stall teams, which Manaphy is your first answer that can be problematic.
The only member in your team that can easily come in against said grass types is Jirachi but first hp fire is still going to do something, Jirachi has no healing moves and let's face it: iron head won't be doing much especially against Venusaur.
After checking your team I saw how you consider the six of them very important that's why I came up with a minor change for your team in order to face the threat I mentioned earlier.
I would consider changing Breloom's set to a Natural gift sd one n changing Life Orb to Lansat Berry, Jolly with Adamant and Superpower with Natural Gift in order for you to quickly lure in these grass types with Breloom and then paving the way for either Manaphy or the electric duo, you lose Superpower out of the deal but Skarmory isn't that problematic for you while due to the growing usage of fast support Heatran it would be better to either click +2 mach punch or change to Manaphy. Lastly Lansat Berry can still be used if the opposing team does not have said grass types with Bullet Seed.

Breloom (M) @ Lansat Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Natural Gift
- Spore

Have fun!

hows the team weak to gardevoir it has jirachi........

but yeah obii, this team looks really nice, but to loosen the pressure Venusaur / Amoonguss puts on this team, I'd run Psychic on Thundurus or Manaphy (I'm thinking changing Mana to Tail Glow Rain Dance because it still bypasses a bunch of common counters in Chansey, Clefable and Venu and Rain doesn't hurt your team that badly. it's also a nice check to modest zard y and can beat timid with a speed tie win) in order to lure it out and weaken it for the rest of your team because it looks like such a huge problem for your team.

Manaphy @ Leftovers | Hydration
Timid Nature | 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Rain Dance / Scald / Tail Glow / Psychic
Thanks fleg. The mana set is nice but makes us incredibly weak to weavile and other annoying physical threats. I'll definitely try it out though!

Obii and Darius this team is cash. I've been looking at a bit and wanted to address a couple things.

1) Not enough electric spam. Get CM Raikou and Choice Band Zebstrika to join the party.

2) I can see Spikes being a tad annoying. Obviously this is offense so you won't be doing a ton of switching but it could really wear down Manectric especially if it is Volt Switching and revenge killing mons. Perhaps Naive Garchomp with Fire Blast to help you beat take on the main Spikers of OU?
Thanks man. Fire blast is an interesting 4th move and can easily replace edge. The difficulty there is not being able to hit stuff like thundy/torn-t as hard which is a big part of scarf chomp's surprise factor. I'll definitely get back to you on this.

Hey there, congrats the two of you for the ladder peak! Having said that the team has problems against bulky grass types with recovery options such as Amoonguss, Tangrowth and Mega Venusaur, specifically speaking you have 4 members on your team that can't do nothing against MVenu and if said MVenu is defensive even 'chomp will have troubles, while Amoonguss may also have Clear Smog in order to reset any Manaphy's boost, if we consider how Amoonguss is a common partner to Mega Sableye's stall teams, which Manaphy is your first answer that can be problematic.
The only member in your team that can easily come in against said grass types is Jirachi but first hp fire is still going to do something, Jirachi has no healing moves and let's face it: iron head won't be doing much especially against Venusaur.
After checking your team I saw how you consider the six of them very important that's why I came up with a minor change for your team in order to face the threat I mentioned earlier.
I would consider changing Breloom's set to a Natural gift sd one n changing Life Orb to Lansat Berry, Jolly with Adamant and Superpower with Natural Gift in order for you to quickly lure in these grass types with Breloom and then paving the way for either Manaphy or the electric duo, you lose Superpower out of the deal but Skarmory isn't that problematic for you while due to the growing usage of fast support Heatran it would be better to either click +2 mach punch or change to Manaphy. Lastly Lansat Berry can still be used if the opposing team does not have said grass types with Bullet Seed.

Breloom (M) @ Lansat Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Natural Gift
- Spore

Have fun!
This is a great set that i've used in the past and i appreciate your reasoning behind it. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely try it out and slash it in the RMT

Hey Obii ! I'm the guy from central that you told to check out this RMT , this team is really original and cool but it really does struggle against stuff like M-Venu and Amoongus and such. Jirachi I don't think is a good enough check since you don't pack wish so I suggest you keep Nasty Plot Thundy with HP-Flying(old school XY) and Psychic fully offensive Manaphy which was suggested in one of the above comments. Knock off and Iron Tail won't be missed since you have Rachi which can switch into non EQ lati and Standard Clef(T-wave sucks but w/e) for days. You can even try Adamant nature on Breloom for better damage output but that's more of a personal liking of mine. Anyways great team , grats on peak and I hope I helped. ^_^

Seconding fleggumfl's rate, indeed i find that your team's overall efficiency is poor, you only got Breloom to lure Venusaur / Amoonguss while they can cockblock most of your team pretty easily, having a backup would be really cool, psychic on Thundurus or even Manaphy would make more sense here, which means you will have to play a more offensive version (Manaphy), but anyway Defensive RD doesn't really stick to your team chemistry in addition to be a setup bait for pokemon like Latios / Altaria assuming you don't get the burn, then if you face Altaria Earthquake you can just click x, limiting these threats would be better for your team even though you can barely play around them. Good Luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)