Can YOU handle a Substitute Gengar Sweep? -OU RMT-

Team Rezon

Hey, Rezon here again with a new RMT. I have already pretty much finished this team and am currently using it on wifi, winning most of my battles. But, I still feel it could be improved. I'm winning about 75% of my battles which is great but I think I could be winning more like 80% or 90% or...well, you get what I mean. Anyway, this being my first true wifi team I realize there are a few weak spots here and there but I'll point out most of what I can see at the end and any changes I might make. Overall this team has had great success in battles with comebacks, pure sweeps and just funny moments but I still feel all of that ould be improved. So I'm asking all of you, the raters of Smogon, to come forth and rate my team like you've never rated before.

The Lead

Infernape (JazzHands) w/ Focus Sash
Nature: Hasty
Ability: Blaze
Evs: 64 Atk/ 252 SpA/ 192 Spe
Moveset:
Stealth Rock
Flamethrower
Close Combat
Vacuum Wave

The usual MixApe lead with a little twist on my behalf. Stealth Rock is a staple on nearly every lead today and this will be no different for the monkey we all know and love. Usually the first move I use, Stealth Rock aids my team later on in the match dealing damage to any switch ins. Flamethrower gives me some good STAB. Flamethrower lets me hit leads like Gengar and Azelf for good damage. Flamethrower usually does around 56% to any Hippowdon lead as well. It also 2HKOs Metagross (Occa Berry). Close Combat lets me hit Heatran for Super Effective damage, usually 2HKOing it. Close Combat has proven to be a reliable STAB move and has been a staple on nearly every Infernape since the beginning of Diamond and Pearl. Vacuum Wave is a replacement for Fake Out, and a better one at that. Instead of hitting pokemon like Heatran and Metagross for Not Very Effective damage, I can hit them with Neutral and Super Effective damage. Vacuum Wave finishes any Sashed leads like Azelf for me. Infernape has proven to me that he is a reliable lead time and time again.

The Revenge Killer

Absol (Stalker) w/ Life Orb
Nature: naughty
Ability: Super Luck
Evs: 252 Atk/ 40 SpA/ 212 Spe
Moveset:
Sucker Punch
Superpower
Flamethrower
Pursuit

The revenge killer of the team. Absol is one of the most unexpecting threats in todays Metagame which is why it works so well. He can revenge kill a Salamence locked into Outrage OHKOing it after Stealth Rock and Life Orb with Sucker Punch. Absol also puts a check on Latias, Starmie, Gengar, and Azelf for me. Now normanly they expect Suckerpunch making them switch. This is where they're in trouble. They get hit with STAB Pursuit reaching power of 240. Superpower OHKOs Snorlax and Tyranitar which is no easy feat. Flamethrower and these Special Attacks evs allow a 2HKO on Skarmory with Flamethrower, something Skarmory users never expect. Pursuit, as mentioned before, is to put Ghosts and PSychics in a check mate position. Absol is a highly underrated sweeper that should not be messed with.

The Steel Killer

Magnezone (Magnet) w/ Choice Specs
Nature: Naive
Ability: Magnet Pull
Evs: 44 Atk/ 252 SpA/ 212 Spe
Moveset:
Thunderbolt

HP Grass
Signal Beam/Flash Cannon
Explosion

My own set I suppose. Now, most people go with the boring old Choice Scarf set but I like this one better. Now, I'm sure you have noticed that HP Fire isn't there. Well that's because Thunderbolt has 5 less power with STAB compared to Hidden Power Fire. Also a Specs Thunderbolt OHKOs any form of Scizor anyway. The Evs allow are odd so let me explain. Max Special Attack is obvious. 212 Speed allows me to outrun max speed Adamant Scizor and the rest was thrown into Attack for extra power with Explosion. Thunderbolt is primary STAB, dealing huge damage against nearly any foe. Since Magnezone is a steel type it can handle a +1 Salamence Outrage. This is handy because a Specs Thunderbolt OHKOs 6 HP 0 SpD Salamence. Hidden Power Grass is for Swampert. I love it when they think that I have Hidden Power Fire but then they get OHKOd by Hidden Power Grass. The next move choice I can't decide on. Flash Cannon would be for secondary STAB and to hit Rocks and Ice switch ins like Tyranitar and Mamoswine while Signal Beam OHKOs any form of Celebi, as well as any Grass type or Psychic type. Explosion is for when it's job is done. Once damage is taken it has a high chance to OHKO the standard Blissey which is great due to Magnezone being a special attack. Magnezone is surprisngly the weak point in my team so if you ahve any suggestions please say so.

The Vampire

Gliscor (Scar) w/ Leftovers
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Sand Veil
Evs: 244 HP/ 44 Def/ 220 Spe
Moveset:
Earthquake

Roost
Stone Edge
Toxic/Taunt/Knock Off

My own set. 244 HP Evs allow for maximum Leftovers reovery. 220 Speed outruns Jolly max Speed Lucario and the standard 216 Speed Gliscor. The rest were thrown into Defense for some extra bulk. Earthquake is for primary STAB and allows for an OHKO against Lucario. Roost is self explanitory, helps me heal off any taken damage. Stone Edge hits enemy Flying types which is great. The last move I can't decide on. Toxic with Roost will help me stall out pokemon until they die which is great. Taunt can help against Stall Teams by not letting them set up or Toxic me. Knock Off will help against general Sweepers with Life Orbs, Choice Bands/Specs/Scarfs, or resist berries. I cannot decide here as they all help out my team but I am leaning towards using Taunt because otherwise Stall teams give this team a huge amount of problems. So if you have any input on this please say so. But Gliscor provides a much needed check against Lucario which is great.

The Forgotten Threat

Kingdra (UbaDragon) w/ Leftovers
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Sniper
Evs: 112 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 144 Spe
Moveset:
Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Outrage
Substitute

Originaly Salamence had this sppot but after testing I found that he works better then Salamence 3 out of 4 times. Just like Salamence, he is a Dragon Dancer, and a great one at that. I also chose him because he only has 1 weakness and resists Bullet Punch. The Evs allow me to outrun Gengar and Latias after a Dragon Dance. Waterfall is for Primary STAB and early sweeping. I will usually Waterfall until they have about 2 or 3 pokemon left and I know that there are no more Steels then just Outrage away. Speaking of Outrage, that is used for Late Sweeping. Outrage usually finishes off the rest of the team. Dual STAB is great and it's only resisted by Empoleon who luckily isn't seen much. Substitute is used to block Status and to make common moves like Close Combat, Outrage etc... from OHKOing me. After a Dragon Dance or 2 I am usually good to sweep. I will normally send him out against say a Vaporeon or Banded Scizor and Substitute on the switch. This lets me scout oout counters. Then I will normally Dragon Dance, letting them break the Sub then attack or just attack up front right away. Kingdra has proven to be a superior sweeper over Salamence.

The Reaper

Gengar (TheJoker) w/ Leftovers
Nature: Timid
Ability: Levitate
Evs: 6 HP/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
Moveset:
Substitute
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Hypnosis

The star of the show and my favorite pokemon. This set is amazing at late game sweeping and this team works perfectly with it. I used Black Sludge insttead of Leftovers so that in case I get tricked it actually hurts the opponet instead of healing them. Substitute is for absorbing status like Paralysis which would hinder this sweep. Shadow Ball is for primary STAB. Shadow Ball is great as it 2HKOs Gyarados and Salamence. Focus Blast is great for an OHKO against max HP Tyranitar as well as those dumb Weaviles. Thats right, I said it, they're dumb. You'll notice I don't have Hidden Power Fire here. This is because Focus Blast nets an OHKO on Scizor and any other steel already. Hypnosis was chose over Hidden Power Fire for the reason above. Hypnosis, even with the accuracy drop, is great with Substitute as even if it misses I still have a second chance to sleep the foe. This set is the Special half of the late game clean up crew alongside Kingdra. This set can destroy teams due to the fact that everyone expects Life Orb or a Scarf/Specs set. I love Gengar so I decided to base the team around it.

Ok well theres my team. I hope you enjoyed it.

Minature Threat List
Machamp - Can be a pain and can do damage to this team but I can handle it to a point.

Salamence - Not a problem. Absol can OHKO after Stealth Rock with Sucker Punch or Magnezone can OHKO with Thunderbolt if it is stuck in Outrage.

Gyarados - This thing can be a pain as Kingdra and Absol are the only ones that can truly take it. Kingdra has enough Bulk to take the hits and, if previous damage is taken, can OHKO with Outrage while Absol OHKOs Gyarados after Stealth Rock.

Scizor - not a problem. Magnezone traps and kills.

Thanks xD

Just something about Gengar, if you want a recovery item, go with Leftovers over Black Sludge, I believe this topic has been discussed before. The reason is that if a pokemon that uses Trick, tricks away Black Sludge, they can Trick it back onto one of your other pokemon that it would hinder, like your Kingdra. Go with Leftovers on Gengar.

Good luck.

SlottedPig

sem feio
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Still, most Trickers are (Gengar or Rotom or) Psychic types, and Shadow Ball + Black Sludge damage is usually enough to OHKO - 2HKO them.

This team seems like an interesting team, a couple of things though:

The whole point of using SubGengar is to run a SubPunch combo and break walls. As such, I suggest you run standard SubGar:

Gengar @ Expert Belt
Hasty nature
100 Atk / 156 SpA / 252 Spe

~ Shadow Ball
~ Substitute
~ Focus Punch
~ Hidden Power Fire / Hypnosis / Explosion

This set allows it to beat Blissey without compromising its firepower.

SpecsZone may be powerful, but it just isn't fast enough to do its job. Although it deals with Forry, Skarm, and Scizor well enough, it is just dead weight once those are gone. Take Gyarados for instance. ScarfZone can OHKO +0 Gyarados, but SpecsZone gets killed with EQ before it can do its job. As a result, I suggest that you change it to standard ScarfZone to remedy this problem.

Lastly, I see MixMence problems if Mence has Roost. If your opponent can outpredict your Absol and just not attack at the wrong times, Absol really can't do much damage with Pursuit. This means your only "counter" becomes mere setup fodder, and the Pursuit damage can easily be Roosted off. Your whole team gets outsped and annihilated once Mence gets one DD. Ape and Zone don't like EQ, Gliscor doesn't like Draco Meteor, Kingdra doesn't like Dragon attacks in general, and Gengar will fall to anything but EQ. As a result, I suggest that you change your Absol to CB Weavile.

Weavile @ Choice Band
Jolly nature
40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe

~ Pursuit
~ Ice Shard
~ Brick Break
~ Ice Punch / Night Slash

Even 6 DDs cannot save Salamence from the power of Ice Shard, and Pursuit still allows you to hith the Psychics and Ghosts that Absol hits. Although Weavile is frail and weak against Steels...you have Magnezone for the job. If you don't like the Choice Band, you could run a SD set, but it's hard to fit Pursuit on a SD set.

Good luck with your team!

The only thing I see wrong with what you said is that with Weavile I will have no one that can take Bulky Gyarados which means my entire team goes by by

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)