CAP 11 CAP 11 - Part 14 - Sprite Poll 3

FINISH HIM!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Only the Dex is left.

Our CAP so far:

DougJustDoug said:
DougJustDoug said:
Name: Perfect Mate

General Description: Pick a good-but-not-great OU pokemon, and design the perfect teammate for it, similar to the way Celebi & Heatran, or Blissey & Skarmory complement each other so well on competitive teams.

Justification:
This would allow us to explore in detail how synergy between two pokemon can be achieved, because currently there are only a few perfect teammates in OU. And depending on the base pokemon we choose to give a "perfect mate", we can open a new niche in the metagame based around the efficient pairing.

The niche we create will be inherently tied to an existing pokemon in the metagame, which should provide a natural limitation to prevent this concept from being broken or "too different" from standard OU.

Questions To Be Answered:
  • Is the base pokemon's usefulness (and usage) in the metagame increased as a result of having a "perfect mate"?
  • What strategies are more effective for the base pokemon, as a result of having a perfect teammate?
  • What are the most effective aspects of the new pokemon, for purposes of making a great teammate with the base pokemon?
  • Is the new pokemon viable in the metagame without the base pokemon as a teammate

• Typing: Fighting / Dark
    Stat Spread: 90 HP / 85 Atk / 80 Def / 105 SpA / 80 SpD / 110 Spe
    Abilities: Volt Absorb / Lightningrod
    Name: Voodoom
    Movepool:
    Code:
    [B]Total Moves:[/B] 74
    [B]Total VGM:[/B] 35

[B]Level Up[/B]
    H Wrap
    H Revenge
    H Night Slash*
    --- Astonish
    --- Copycat
    --- Pain Split*
    --- Spite
    7 Pain Split* (repeat)
    11 Spite (repeat)
    15 Grudge
    19 Charge
    20 Follow Me
    25 Pin Missile
    30 Faint Attack
    35 Close Combat*
    40 Acupressure
    45 Aura Sphere*
    50 Substitute*
    55 Beat Up

[B]Egg Moves:[/B]
    (Egg Groups: Humanshape / Ground)
    Perish Song*
    Smellingsalt
    Screech 
    Pursuit* 
    Memento* 
    Imprison 
    Mach Punch* 
    Baton Pass* 

[B]TMs/HMs[/B]
    TM 01 – Focus Punch*
    TM 06 – Toxic*
    TM 08 – Bulk Up*
    TM 10 – Hidden Power*
    TM 11 – Sunny Day
    TM 12 – Taunt*
    TM 15 – Hyper Beam* (ugh)
    TM 17 – Protect*
    TM 21 – Frustration* 
    TM 27 – Return* (repeat)
    TM 26 - Earthquake
    TM 29 – Psychic*
    TM 31 – Brick Break*
    TM 34 – Shock Wave
    TM 41 - Torment
    TM 42 – Façade*
    TM 43 – Secret Power
    TM 44 – Rest*
    TM 45 – Attract 
    TM 46 – Thief
    TM 49 – Snatch
    TM 52 – Focus Blast*
    TM 56 – Fling
    TM 58 – Endure
    TM 60 – Drain Punch
    TM 66 – Payback*
    TM 68 – Giga Impact
    TM 73 – Thunder Wave*
    TM 75 - Stone Edge*
    TM 78 – Captivate
    TM 79 – Dark Pulse*
    TM 80 – Rock Slide*
    TM 82 – Sleep Talk*
    TM 83 – Natural Gift
    TM 85 – Dream Eater
    TM 87 – Swagger
    TM 90 – Substitute* (repeat)
    HM 04 – Strength
    HM 06 – Rock Smash

[B]Move Tutor:[/B]
    Ice Punch*
    Counter*
    Metronome
    Mud Slap
    Mimic
    Uproar
    Snore
    Vacuum Wave*
    Pain Split* 
    Spite
    Nightmare
    Magic Coat*
    Low Kick*
    Knock Off*
    Submissions:

DougJustDoug said:
    aragornbird said:
    Rules:

This will be a single click poll. Simply click on the poll option above for your sprite preference.

This poll will last approx. 24 hours.

Ooh, this was a very tough decision. While DJD's sprite is incredible, Aragornbird's shiny colour scheme and muscular pose won out.

I just want to say that ALL the sprite submissions for this CAP was awesome even though my favorite (by small marigin) Vader didnt make the finals.

Out of these two I'll have to pick AB but only becuse of the backsprite, Dougs backsprite is rather boring although it got the imo slightly better front sprite.

Good luck to both of you.

While I love the concept art that DougJustDoug has given us, I honestly don't think his sprites really do it justice, as ironic as that is.

Aragornbird, however, really brings some life to the sprites.

I have to say both were really good, and the poses were very aggressive. However, I choose DougJustDoug in the end because I seriously liked the pose (when you're fighting it) although I thought the shiny colors could have been tweaked a bit.

Aragornbird has had my vote since this sprite poll begun and against someone like DJD he may need some support.

It looks like Ab:s sprite is robbing someone :)

I really like Aragornbird's front sprite, but the way the arm is up in the back sprite just looks odd to me - like Voodoom is off balance and about to fall backwards toward the player. So I voted DJD.

Agree with above. Aragornbird's front sprite wins by a landslide, but the back sprite... isn't all that good.

But still, voted Aragornbird. The good things make up for the bad.

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I voted for DougJustDoug as I have in every other poll thus far, because, again, his pose from the back is the best. To me, it is somewhat reminiscent of Alakazam from R/B. I also prefer the front pose to Aragornbird's, although I don't think there is a significant difference in quality between the two. Of course, it seems Aragornbird is going to win, and both of these sprites are tremendous, so "good job" to both, I just think DougJustDoug's is better.

Congrats on making it this far guys.

I liked certain aspects of both designs, so it was a hard decision this time, but in the end the colors/shading or ab's won me over.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
These are both fantastic sprites, they quite honestly have no flaws - it's all down to personal preference at this stage.

That said, I preferred Aragornbird's simply because of the lighter colour scheme and 'better' shiny colours.

Yeah, these two are the best of all the sprites. I still like aragornbird's the best because, to me, DougJustDoug's pose seems kinda awkward. Also, the colors look better on aragornbird's (especially its Shiny colors). Also, DougJustDoug's back sprite seems like a 3rd Gen Sprite, while aragornbird's back sprite seems like a 4th Gen Sprite. Even though I'm not playing, I think aragornbird's would fit in better with the rest of the Pokemon (which is one reason I liked chaosgrippler's in the last CAP). Also, for some reason, I like sprites that are bolder colored and fewer tiny details like random pixels (i.e. 4th Gen sprites).

People like aragonbird's shiny colour scheme. God it's repulsive. That type of red just seems way to out there for a Dark type if you ask me. The sprite itself is great but Dougs wins in my book. good sprite and shiny colour.

DarkSlay

Guess who's back? Na na na! *breakdances*
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I voted for aragornbird. Congrats to both aragornbird and Doug for making it this far!

Both sprites are excellent, and either could easily win. That being said, I prefer the overall design of aragorn's, with its unique flexing that gives it a nice Fighting feel. The pose also demonstrates a will for revenge in my eyes, especially in the backsprite, which matches with the feel of Voodoom quite well. aragorn's also has the better human-shape definition, which I personally prefer over DJD's more bulky approach. I don't like the head of Doug's sprite: it's a little too wide for me.

Doug does have the better shiny color of the two, although I still do like aragorn's. The back sprite of Doug's is also a little bit cleaner than aragorn's, which looks nice.

Overall, both artists did extremely well. Congrats!

Aragonbird. The aggressive stance in both the front and back sprites brings out CAP 11's Fighting type well, and the shiny sprite looks a bit like a Harlequin. Both were excellent though.

While Doug's is a great sprite, I just think aragornbird's looks more like an actual Pokemon sprite.
He gets my vote.

Aragornbird and DougJustDoug's sprites were my top two choices, so I'm pleased with this poll. I voted for aragornbird because his sprite looked fiercer and had a more appealing backsprite. Doug's sprite looked a little squat but professional nonetheless.

Aragornbird it just looks like a realy pokemon sprite. Are you sure he isn't one of the people that make official sprites lol

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Aragornbird's shading and coloring are excellent and he easily gets my vote. I like how his pose is combat-ready too. Could be a little cooler, but with such superior craftsmanship, I can't complain too much.

I voted for Dougjustdoug, as his pose fits the name "Voodoom" better. although I prefer Aragornbirds drawing, it just doesn't fit the name right

I voted DougJustDoug because I think that his sprites would fit better in a Pokémon game. I also like the colors and the shiney a lot.

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
I voted DougJustDoug's, for the main reason that it looks like it would fit better in a Pokemon game. I did NOT like Krillowat's sprite (funny, it belonged to DougJustDoug :P) so much in fact, that I changed it on my Shoddy Battle. It just looks like a shrimp, not a Pokemon. This is the same thing, although I don't mind aragornbird's, I just feel DougJustDoug's is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)