CAP 21 CAP 21 - Part 3 - Threats Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I agree that it would be in this CAP's best interest to reduce the number of type threats in order to improve playability (despite the concept saying we shouldn't cover the weaknesses). Reducing the threat of Water-types would go a long way to giving this CAP a major niche of other Fairy and Flying resists. While Psychic from Manaphy will still be a problem, even the reduction (or removal) of Scald as a problem will go a long way to improving the match-up. And this vastly improves its match up against stuff like Azumarill, Keldeo, Rotom-W, Politoed, and Tentacruel. This provides a quality niche of being able to check all of Talonflame, Keldeo, Azumarill, and Clefable all in one slot, which nothing else can do. One of the interesting factors of this typing was that it received a Special Defense boost from Sandstorm, so we might as well embrace that when looking at threats to this typing. Since Hippowdon is likely a better partner than Ttar, a reduced Water vulnerability helps deal with a major worry, without too drastic a reduction of weaknesses. Note that this doesn't require a Water-immune ability either.

Mitigating or removing the Ground-type weakness is a step too far imo. In the end, Rock/Poison had a majority vote, even though everyone was aware of the massive Ground weakness AND the fact that Ground moves were one of the most common form of coverage in the OU metagame. Having a way to threaten Ground-types might be in order, but this typing does threaten Pokemon that use Ground coverage (Mega Altaria, the Mega Charizards, Mega Pinsir, Mega Aerodactyl) so it's not exactly helpless. Counters don't have to be passive, as long as they have sufficient bulk (the +100 bst boost will help a lot). Posing an offensive threat to some of the Pokemon that counter the CAP right now would go a long way to improving the CAP without actually diminishing the weaknesses too heavily.

Personally I'd be entirely in favor of a type immune ability... eh, I'm new here and so I have only a faint idea of what poll jumping is. Anyway.

This is meant to beat Talonflame, and probably other Fire types as well by having them get rocked. Fire types burn, and a way partially around it is by being a special attacker so you don't care about the attack drop. Immunizing against Ground would indeed be probably a bit too convenient, covering up the 4x weakness, but a 2x would be fine. And, conveniently, the water immunity ability would also help with being a special attacker.

I'd just like to err on the side of making this too good rather than not good enough, especially since we're starting off low with the typing. Checking Keldeo and/or Manaphy would improve viability.

This is meant to beat Talonflame, and probably other Fire types as well by having them get rocked. Fire types burn, and a way partially around it is by being a special attacker so you don't care about the attack drop. Immunizing against Ground would indeed be probably a bit too convenient, covering up the 4x weakness, but a 2x would be fine. And, conveniently, the water immunity ability would also help with being a special attacker.
How on earth do you plan to make this a Special Attacking typing? Poison is awful for spamming, because everything resists it. Rock isn't any good, because your best attack is Power Gem, which only has 80 base power and no bonus.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So far people have done a good job identifying what Pokemon naturally do counter us, and which are naturally countered, going by typing alone. What we really need some more of though, is discussion of which of these threats are good to have, and which we really need to eliminate. There has been a bit of talk about specific things like ground type moves and Manaphy, but I think what we really need now is to focus in on those list people have already made and figure out which names really need to come off for this project to be a success.

For my part, I see the threat of Manaphy as a big concern. While I don't know how far we would want to go with regard to it, I do not think we can afford for it to be a check to CAP21. This is actually a very important thing all around for the Pokemon who may threaten our typing but that we don't want to threaten our Pokemon. There is a big gap between something being a check or counter and that something being checked or countered in return. Maybe it is a good idea for us to actually try and counter Manaphy. Or maybe we simply want to not have it be a major check, possibly by us being faster and having strong moves to hit it with. These are the kind of decisions we really need to make now.

I do want to say that, for the most part, I agree with WhiteDMist with regard to ground types. This concept is about making a Pokemon that exemplifies the positive AND negative traits of a typing. A huge Ground weakness is the single most defining negative trait of this typing, and attempting to change that fact, as some people seem to be wanting to do, is in my view very much against this concept. That's not to say that we should just lose to things that pack Ground moves, but rather that our goal should not be to beat them by getting rid of the advantage they have over us. Instead, if we do want to beat such Pokemon, I feel our goals should be to do so in a way that utilized our typing advantages. As was pointed out, we already have offensive type advantage over many of the great Pokemon that use Ground as a coverage move, meaning none of them can really every switch in on us. So rather than trying to make ourselves full counters to those Pokemon, we should work to make sure we can keep, at worse, those matchups at a neutral, and use our typing and other factors to beat a slew of Pokemon that cannot take advantage of our most defining negative trait.

So again, going forward what I want people to do is take a look at the lists people have made, and discuss how we need to alter them to be successful. The goal of this stage is to, by its conclusion, have a list of stuff we WANT to threaten and have threaten us, so knowing which of the perceived threats are important to focus on is the key.

Is this supposed to be spamming moves? I'd imagine it to mostly hit things in the weakness with its STABs to make use of its typing instead of having brute force to just do well overall. Possibly hit some more things in weaknesses with coverage. Possibly, if that one ability can be assumed, hitting a bit harder due to a +1.

Power Gem's stronger than Rock Slide (although it doesn't flinch, I'll give you that), doesn't miss unlike Stoned Edge, and is ahead of both if you're burned. And lets you Sludge Wave instead of Gunk Shot for yet more accuracy, for all that's worth. I understand "fun" isn't a factor here, but I don't want to be in favor of something that'd rely on Stoned Edge and Gunk Shoot. For personal reasons.

I don't know, things like "can't do much to Steel types, dies to Ground immediately, lets Psychic shine against it, makes Talonflame and assorted ice/fairy/fire/bug/flying types be hurt, deals with Water via ability" are simple enough for my poor uneducated brain to understand and I'd be in favor of them. In the end, though, I'm a single opinion writing words on the Internet.

So far people have done a good job identifying what Pokemon naturally do counter us, and which are naturally countered, going by typing alone. What we really need some more of though, is discussion of which of these threats are good to have, and which we really need to eliminate. There has been a bit of talk about specific things like ground type moves and Manaphy, but I think what we really need now is to focus in on those list people have already made and figure out which names really need to come off for this project to be a success.

For my part, I see the threat of Manaphy as a big concern. While I don't know how far we would want to go with regard to it, I do not think we can afford for it to be a check to CAP21. This is actually a very important thing all around for the Pokemon who may threaten our typing but that we don't want to threaten our Pokemon. There is a big gap between something being a check or counter and that something being checked or countered in return. Maybe it is a good idea for us to actually try and counter Manaphy. Or maybe we simply want to not have it be a major check, possibly by us being faster and having strong moves to hit it with. These are the kind of decisions we really need to make now.

I do want to say that, for the most part, I agree with WhiteDMist with regard to ground types. This concept is about making a Pokemon that exemplifies the positive AND negative traits of a typing. A huge Ground weakness is the single most defining negative trait of this typing, and attempting to change that fact, as some people seem to be wanting to do, is in my view very much against this concept. That's not to say that we should just lose to things that pack Ground moves, but rather that our goal should not be to beat them by getting rid of the advantage they have over us. Instead, if we do want to beat such Pokemon, I feel our goals should be to do so in a way that utilized our typing advantages. As was pointed out, we already have offensive type advantage over many of the great Pokemon that use Ground as a coverage move, meaning none of them can really every switch in on us. So rather than trying to make ourselves full counters to those Pokemon, we should work to make sure we can keep, at worse, those matchups at a neutral, and use our typing and other factors to beat a slew of Pokemon that cannot take advantage of our most defining negative trait.

So again, going forward what I want people to do is take a look at the lists people have made, and discuss how we need to alter them to be successful. The goal of this stage is to, by its conclusion, have a list of stuff we WANT to threaten and have threaten us, so knowing which of the perceived threats are important to focus on is the key.
I mean, our CAP should be able to pressure Manaphy in some way, since it should at least be able to pressure opposing Waters, Grounds, Steels, and Psychics and discourage them from coming in, but not to the extent of pressuring them all in one set. I honestly prefer being faster than Manaphy and being able to ram it hard, since Manaphy retains the same speed tier as Volcarona, a Pokemon that would be troubled by our CAP (there is HP Ground, but Air Balloon still exists).

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
At issue is we don't want to lose sight of our intention, which is a utility counter. This would mean primarily using dual STAB options and two support moves, likely a hazard and a fourth move of some other variety - or the standard Substitute. Poison/Rock sucks against Ground and Steel types, but Gunk Shot is a lot better than it used to be (basically physical Hydro Pump) and there's always Head Smash if Stone Edge is insufficient (and abilities that address the main drawback of Head Smash. Then again a high Base HP would also mitigate it somewhat).

Agreed that special attacking would be weaker, but then, Support Mega-Altaria can't Cotton Guard past Sludge Wave, and Power Gem is a plain but workable 80 BP.

Not to dictate anything at this stage, but if you want to guarantee 2HKO 96/0 Manaphy, 252 Neutral Nature Head Smash guarantee 2HKOs at 100 Base Atk, Gunk Shot at 128 Base Atk, and Stone Edge at 163 Base Atk (Sludge Wave is 174 SpA at 252 Neutral). The first two aren't that outlandish for a base form, and with Megas even the higher stats aren't out of the realm of possibility. Naturally if you can threaten Manaphy off raw STAB power, the frailer Psychics are going to have little incentive to switch in as well - which leaves Steel and Ground types.

Even as a utility counter I do see the role of this typing as something of a hit and run attacker that offers substantial offensive pressure. It can't be worn down by Toxic or Sandstorm (Sandstorm actually makes SpD sets somewhat viable), has a small subset of key resistances, and if it can hit hard while it's in it can take advantage of those natural talents.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
This concept is about playing to both the strengths and weaknesses of the typing, but let's look at the obvious: right now, we have a really terrible defensive typing. Weaknesses to Steel, Ground, Water, and Psychic. We don't have a ton of great resistances either: only Fire, Flying, and Fairy are particularly useful. All four of our weaknesses are extremely common attacking types in OU and we need to use our non-typing resources to get rid of as many of those as possible. So I don't think we necessarily need to accept our Ground weakness as-is. Right now, Landorus-T and Garchomp are the two most common Pokemon in the game. I think it's extremely disadvantageous for a Mega to be threatened by both of them, and right now we're 4x weak to both of them while not able to hit either of them neutrally. I don't think it's feasible to let both Landorus-T and Garchomp switch in safely on us. We don't need to switch in safely on them per se, but they absolutely cannot threaten us if we want to be viable in OU.

I'm really in favor of a "let's patch as many of the typing's weaknesses as we can" approach, as there's no way this typing's going to end up broken and there's no way we're going to be able to patch every weakness this typing has. Right now, it's nearly impossible to patch our Steel weakness. There isn't an Ability for it and we'd need tremendous defensive stats to beat Mega Scizor's Bullet Punches anyway. It's also going to be hard to simultaneously patch both our Ground and Water weaknesses with super-powered Water attackers like Keldeo and Manaphy running around.

In conclusion, I don't think we need to accept or Ground weakness or our Water weakness and I don't think it's particularly good to have Landorus-T, Garchomp, Manaphy, or Keldeo threaten us. I'd like to see our Steel and Psychic weaknesses to be easier to exploit, as those are the most difficult to cover up. As a result, I think Pokemon like Mega Scizor, Excadrill, and Gyro Ball Ferrothorn should check or counter us.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
At issue is we don't want to lose sight of our intention, which is a utility counter. This would mean primarily using dual STAB options and two support moves, likely a hazard and a fourth move of some other variety - or the standard Substitute.
Actually its more likely people will simply run 2 STAB moves, a coverage move, and one utility move, because thanks to this particular typing, our stab options are garbage and leave us open to some of the most threatening set up sweepers in the metagame. I don't think you could actually stop people doing this, because people would rather a utility counter be as least vulnerable to set up as possible.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Just a short post since I have to run out the door.

First off, I just want to agree with ginga on the issue of STABs and coverage. Many of the OU utility mons don't use two utility moves, and I just don't think it should be said that we absolutely need to make sure two get on a set. I mean, it's an option, but coverage is a legitimate option as well (and forgoing a STAB for coverage is an option as well).

DetroitLolcat said:
I don't think it's feasible to let both Landorus-T and Garchomp switch in safely on us. We don't need to switch in safely on them per se, but they absolutely cannot threaten us if we want to be viable in OU.
This last part is worded a bit weird to me. In some fashion or another, they will be able to threaten us as long as we do not have Levitate. Mandating Levitate simply so that cannot threaten us is pretty far fetched. I think we should definitely look into ways that make them switching into us a little bit harder, however, and I wouldn't be opposed to further exploration here down the road.

Basically, it seems to me that much of the conversation so far is going along the lines of "oh my word if we lose to grounds and waters then we're kinda screwed." While I think the focus of immunity abilities so far has been theatrical and a bit distracting, I think looking at important ground and water mons and picking a few to deal with would be a good decision. Some of the mons that we're discussing, such as Manaphy, appear so threatening because of their boosting moves. I mean, yes, we're worried about their STABs. But I think finding other commonalities between the mons will be helpful in discussing how to beat them.

It seems that with a physical attack stat of 110, it could OHKO Landorus-T after a stealth rock by using Ice Punch. Still not all that favorable. And that is with an adamant nature and maxed attack EVs. This is not very favorable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would probably be more expedient with Ice Beam, especially since if you're hitting it on the switch-in you'd worry about the Intimidate drop with a physical move.

oh man I'm pushing the special attacking idea

Concerning Ground-types: Garchomp, Gliscor, and Landorus-T all share the same 4x weakness and can probably be easily checked that way. Excadrill will outspeed us under sand (which CAP will prefer) and can't be switched into. Definite counter, especially under Sand.

Concerning Steel-types: Bisharp and Heatran are both fairly big threats to CAP and both have different 4X weaknesses and a 2x Weakness to the other's 4x Weakness. We can probably add both 4x weaknesses to the coverage pool, but in case we just want one, here's the arguments: Bisharp would probably be the easiest to switch into, since it would probably want to Knock Off vs most targets. It would also allow a super effective hit vs Heatran, but not against Mega Metagross (who should be a hard counter.) Besides Bisharp it would also provide a way to dent Mamoswine, should we want that. Heatran will be a lot more tricky to switch into, thanks to Flash Cannon and Earth Power, but covering it would also cover Magneton as well as Electric-types, CAP itself, and possibly Venusaur fairly well.

Finally, At the very least in relation to Manaphy we can probably agree that it using this CAP as setup bait is probably not good, and warrents coverage to prevent that. As for other water-types: Do we want CAP to fold up against Swampert or not? Starmie and Slowbro are going to threaten it badly regardless, but i'm wondering if we want to remove swampert from the list of hard counters or not. (And in doing so, provide a way to scare Rotom-W)

Phazing could work to an extent with Manaphy, which would still check us but cannot use CAP21 as a set-up fodder. This solves the problem somewhat, without relying on abilities.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
This last part is worded a bit weird to me. In some fashion or another, they will be able to threaten us as long as we do not have Levitate. Mandating Levitate simply so that cannot threaten us is pretty far fetched. I think we should definitely look into ways that make them switching into us a little bit harder, however, and I wouldn't be opposed to further exploration here down the road.
When I say that Landorus-T and Garchomp should not be able to threaten us, I mean that they should not be able to switch in, even after a KO, and threaten CAP21. In essence, if CAP21 is on the field then Garchomp and Landorus-T cannot defeat it. This clearly doesn't require Levitate, as for instance it can be accomplished if CAP21 is faster than Landorus-T and Garchomp and can KO or neutralize them (maybe with status, Magnet Rise, etc.). I don't believe CAP21 needs to be a safe switch-in to Landorus-T or Garchomp, but I do believe that the two Pokemon should not safely switch into CAP21. If that wasn't clear in the previous post then I apologize.

I agree with ginganinja - people are most likely going to run Dual STABs + coverage + utility move. Its dual STABs are not as bad as Gingy makes them out to be, as Rock / Poison, even with being resisted by the ever-so present Ground and Steel-types, still pressures a stupid amount of offensive Pokemon with Stone Edge and Gunk Shot alone (I am not using Power Gem + Sludge Wave because this CAP wants the stronger STAB options, even at the risk of being more vulnerable to Intimidate / burns / etc.) Literally any Pokemon that doesn't have a typing advantage does not want to switch into our CAP, and while its variant of a utility counter is more based off of offense than utility, mons like Clefable / Talonflame / Weavile are still hard pressed when it comes to playing around this CAP.

The most likely candidates for coverage I see are Ground and Ice to have something against its weaknesses, possibly something to hit Water-Types harder as well.

Also, a physical CAP would need coverage to get past the Ground-Types as even a Power Tricked Shuckle can't break through Landorus-T with Stone Edge. Besides, if we want the strongest STAB option, we'd have to go for Head Smash.

While I don't see this alone countering a Manaphy, having >100 Base Speed should provide enough offensive pressure to keep it from switching in.

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
When I say that Landorus-T and Garchomp should not be able to threaten us, I mean that they should not be able to switch in, even after a KO, and threaten CAP21. In essence, if CAP21 is on the field then Garchomp and Landorus-T cannot defeat it. This clearly doesn't require Levitate, as for instance it can be accomplished if CAP21 is faster than Landorus-T and Garchomp and can KO or neutralize them (maybe with status, Magnet Rise, etc.). I don't believe CAP21 needs to be a safe switch-in to Landorus-T or Garchomp, but I do believe that the two Pokemon should not safely switch into CAP21. If that wasn't clear in the previous post then I apologize.
The only way this is going to reliably happen 100% of the time is if we have levitate and have ice coverage, because otherwise Landorus-T will force us out every time it comes in unless both scouted AND a non-choice variant. But choice scarf landog is 37% so over a third of the time CAP21 loses instantly w/o a ground immunity. Garchomp has only a 5.5% chance of a choice scarf so that's acceptable to lose to, but would require full speed investment with a postiive speed nature and 103 base, as jolly max speed spreads are extremely common for Garchomp.

The only way to make switching the two in on CAP 21 being a losing proposition, meanwhile, involves mandatory Ice or Scald coverage regardless of if we have Levitate or not (and if we don't have levitate, we auto-lose 37% of the time to Landog and get forced out regardless). Obviously posion is going to be worthless against the two and Rock is also a losing proposition to use, which leaves it down to either Ice (to threaten the OHKO on both) or Scald (to hit for at least neutral and to force them to risk getting crippled). Ice is, without Levitate, the only way to have a modest (37% chance of losing to scarfdog) chance of defeating the two of them, and also garuntees that CAP 21 will be an offensive pokemon as it will require both a high attack/spatk stat to be able to make use of a three attacks set AND will

Frankly speaking if we want to beat Landorus-T and Garchomp, we either wind up pidgenholed into offense teams or we need to have Levitate as an ability (though arguably CAP 21 is going to probably be best marketed toward Offense anyway as they hate Clefable and Talonflame and having an awkward defensive typing isn't as big of a deal for those teams). I don't say this meaning we should lose to these two pokemon, just so everyone's aware what we have to do if we want to beat them (which is more than likely Levitate as losing 37% of the time to something we say we don't want to lose to is completely unacceptable).

And no magnet rise is not an acceptable answer that move is shit and is only okay as a surprise if you're something like sand rush excadrill and can outspeed everything ever. If we accept Landorus-T and Garchomp as mons we must beat, Magnet Rise will not be an acceptable answer as it still loses to Scarfdog.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This CAP shouldn't be looking to counter Ground-types, that I think we can all agree with. I'm also sure that most of us agree that Ground-types shouldn't be able to come in for free against this CAP, which requires some way to land a moderate hit on them. Hell, Fire moves can do similar stuff and threaten Steel-types from safely switching in as well. But in the end, this CAP should still be forced out by the Pokemon it's weak to, namely Ground, Steel, Water, and Psychic-types. There is no point choosing this typing if you didn't acknowledge that the CAP would be so weak to such a common attacking type: what, did people immediately assume that Levitate would just automatically be a choice despite the concept stating that it shouldn't be trying to cover its weaknesses? Simply ignoring a weakness(es) by removing them is a lazy and convenient thing to do, which I felt CAP would naturally choose to avoid (otherwise, where's the learning process?).

We really can't expect this CAP to beat or even be able to stay in on any of its weaknesses: we can reduce the threat of some of the weaker special attacks with Sandstorm, which is a pretty big deal already, and we can go with that to handle Water and Psychic-types better. Keldeo, Rotom-W, Politoed, and Tentacruel are Water-types we should not easily lose to, or maybe even counter if people think it's absolutely necessary. This list can even extend to Manaphy if the latter. But the concept is about playing to the strengths and weaknesses of an undervalued type. And the best way that I think we can play to its weaknesses is to understand how common such types are and force the opponent to make the predictable move of switching in one of the above. So being able to inflict decent damage to make the switch-in hesitate is pretty much required. Hmm, what a surprise, many of these threatening Pokemon really hate burns; maybe that would be an interesting route to go.

EDIT: BTW, Levitate invalidates the "utility" of choosing a Poison-typing, as we no longer absorb Toxic Spikes lol

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Isn't this supposed to be about being defined by typing, not fixing a bad typing?

No mollux 2.0 please.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey everyone, I'm not really somewhere right now where I can make a big post at the moment, but I just wanted to come on here to let people know that I do want to wind down this thread, so consider this a 24 hour warning of a sort.

The only way this is going to reliably happen 100% of the time is if we have levitate and have ice coverage, because otherwise Landorus-T will force us out every time it comes in unless both scouted AND a non-choice variant. But choice scarf landog is 37% so over a third of the time CAP21 loses instantly w/o a ground immunity. Garchomp has only a 5.5% chance of a choice scarf so that's acceptable to lose to, but would require full speed investment with a postiive speed nature and 103 base, as jolly max speed spreads are extremely common for Garchomp.
Not necessarily. Ice Shard for example is a good move for both not allowing Garchomp and Lando in, while also not killing a 100% Lando/Chomp that's already in.

I calced with Landorus and Garchomp having more physical investment...

Anyways, while I think we don't have to check/counter Landorus/Garchomp, we shouldn't be unable to do anything to them - otherwise, our CAP can never switch in as long as either one of them is still alive.

Ice Shard is a nice idea. Heres the summary of top threats I think, sorry if I forgot any reply and then I'll edit it in if it really bugs you.
  • Garchomp
  • Landorus-T
  • Excadrill
  • Manaphy
  • Slowbro (And Mega)
  • Alakazam
  • Gliscor
  • Hippowdon
  • Jirachi
  • Metagross-Mega
  • Scizor (And Mega)

We provide a solid counter by typing to these several Pokemon:
  • Clefable
  • Talonflame
  • Togekiss
  • Breloom
  • Volcarona
  • Thunderus (Hopefully both)
  • Tornadus (Hopefully both)
  • Sylveon
  • Charizard (And Mega Charizard Y)

Depending on ability of CAP 21:
  • Azumarill
  • Charizard Mega X
  • Gliscor
  • Landorus-T
  • Loppunny (Non Mega)
  • Gyarados (Non Mega)
  • Keldeo (Neutral to fighting)
  • Manaphy
  • Altaria (And Mega)
The reason some like Zard X are added is levitate would make CAP 21 immune to it's coverage move, earthquake, which is something to consider.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
To consolidate my thoughts, I'll list the B- ranks or higher that fulfill the criteria they are placed under.
Bisharp
Excadrill
Ferrothorn
Garchomp (Mega)
Heatran
Hippowdon
Keldeo
Landorus-T
Mega Metagross
Scizor
Gliscor
Slowbro/Mega Slowbro
Skarmory
Mega Venusaur
Jirachi
Klefki
Magnezone
Politoed
Rotom-W
Starmie
Mega Swampert.
Diggersby
Empoleon
Gastrodon
Gothitelle
Quagsire
Slowking
Lucario
Toxicroak

Manaphy
Mega Alakazam
Azumarill
Mega Diancie
Hoopa-Unbound
Latios
Latias
Mega Gardevoir
Mega Gyrados
Kyurem-B
Mew
Tyranitar
Mega Aerodactly
Celebi
Mega Medicham
Feraligatr
Mega Gallade
Kabutops
Kingdra
Mamoswine
Suicune
Mega Beedrill
Hydreigon
Omastar
Amoonguss
Azelf
Crawdaunt
Tyrantrum

Clefable
Talonflame
Tornadus-T
Mega Charizard-Y
Volcarona
Sylveon
Zapdos
Mandibuzz

Mega Charizard-X
Weavile
Gengar
Mega Manectric
Mega Pinsir
Mega Heracross
Togekiss
Toxicroak
Thundurus
Thundurus-T
Mega Pidgeot

Mega Charizard-X
Clefable
Mega Altaria
Azumarill
Talonflame
Tornadus-T
Thundurus
Weavile
Mega Charizard-Y
Mega Gardevoir
Kyurem-B
Mega Aerodactly
Celebi
Gyrados
Mega Pinsir
Serperior
Volcarona
Breloom
Dragonite
Togekiss
Victini
Mega Beedrill
Scolipede
Tangrowth
Zapdos
Chesnaught
Mandibuzz
Mega Pidgeot
Mega Sceptile
Sylveon
Thundurus-T

Pokemon that I think we need to improve the match up with (possibly with Sandstorm taken into account) include:
Keldeo
Manaphy
Politoed
Rotom-W
Toxicroak
Suicune
Celebi
Amoonguss

For Pokemon that we want to deter from recklessly switching in, people have already noted Ice- or Water-moves as an option for coverage. But what about considering Burn as a more general concept? It would help weaken the threat of:
Bisharp
Excadrill
Ferrothorn
Garchomp (Mega)
Hippowdon
Landorus-T
Mega Metagross
Scizor
Skarmory
Jirachi
Klefki
Mega Swampert.
Diggersby
Quagsire
Lucario
Toxicroak
Azumarill
Mega Gyrados
Kyurem-B
Tyranitar
Mega Aerodactly
Mega Medicham
Feraligatr
Mega Gallade
Kabutops
Kingdra
Mamoswine
Mega Beedrill
Crawdaunt
Tyrantrum

As you can see, the threat of burn immediately deters all of the above listed from switching in. Poison-types don't automatically have to, or want to, Poison their opponents, so this actually helps look at the strength of the Poison-typing when it inflicts Burns rather than Poison (though it still can, making it a bit of a status platform). Burn doesn't remove these Pokemon as threats, but it does neuter them as OVERALL THREATS to the rest of your team, which is far more important than neutering the threat for the CAP alone. I won't make any suggestions on how this CAP inflicts burns, whether through move or ability, but I do stand by the fact that burn should be our way to reduce the threat of many of this CAP's checks and counters, without being a convenient loss of any of its weaknesses. Seeing as people already suggested a move that can inflict Burns, it's not like the community hasn't thought about this either. Let's not forget Sandstorm either, which will bolster the defensive value of the typing against Water and Psychic (maybe Steel, though the tend to have Ground coverage even as special attackers) pretty nicely (plus they don't actually resist the STABs).

tl;dr: Reduce the threat of physical Steel, Ground, Water, and Psychic types to the team utilizing burns, with Sandstorm helping to cover the special threats somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)