CAP 23 CAP 23 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Update:

Minor tweaks including a longer tail and a different pose. Not sure if I should pursue the scales-chained-together idea but I might try doing it on the horns instead.

Alternate head pose:

Sereg I'm not doing a skeletal dragon; more like on the lines of a phantom theme so I won't expose ribcages, sorry! Also the 'skull' in the design IS a mask and not its actual skull, so there's that. :)

Magistrum, are your kirin's colors final as of yet? There's probably more color you could add once the Abilities arrive, such as various eerie greens, blues, or purples.

Some Feedback:

Quanyails:
I'm really liking the tapewyrm design, and the color pallete you ended up choosing feels really suiting, My only question, is does it happen to have eyes? I'm just curious since your art doesn't have any explicit eyes from what I saw.
Magistrum: Your design is looking elegant in a great way right now, and I'm loving the general concept foundation. For a color pallete I'd honestly keep the main body white with secondary shades of a purple. Not much besides that on the comments though.
Falchion: I think "B" and "D" are the best out of those four options. "D" has a nice dragon design that I could get behind, and I like the concept, although I feel like maybe it could be a little more skeletal or something to emphasize the ghost aspect. Or just some other spooky-scary detailing. "B" is pretty good too, and I like the way you combine the two typings, but right now I'm getting a little too much bird vibe from it. I'd recommend keeping the feathery tail and general plumage, but maybe try more draconic wings. I feel it'd really help that dragon typing be driven home if you choose to go with design "B".

I'm not submitting anything myself since I'm a pretty hopeless artist lol, but I'll give some more feedback later probably. These were just my favorites though so I figured I'd give some thoughts.

WIP

so it's been a while since I updated anything but:

Definitely still have some things to fix/cleanup (like all of their necks) but I think this is basically how it's gonna end up looking. I also hastily made some alternate color options if you guys have any thoughts on that! I may also play around a bit with the helmet thing some more but we'll see!!

Color options: http://imgur.com/a/HIYJb

WIP

Ghost Dragon fakemon.jpg

I hope I made this the right size! If not just let me know and I'll fix it. This is my first time submitting to a CAP, I've always been kind of scared because I'm a VERY amateur artist trying to teach himself (though my next semester in college I'll be taking some art classes). I loved the idea of trapping moves, and the Ghost/Dragon type, and I tried to think what I could base my dragon on that hasn't already been done. As an avid player of the Monster Hunter series, I remembered that one of my favorite fights was the Gore Magala, and I thought it was perfect to base my design off of! The idea is that its blind, but uses the feelers on its head and incredible hearing to sense what's going on around it. To keep it from becoming a carbon copy of gore, I plan on keeping the head, tail, neck and the arms connected to the wings actual body parts, whilst making the rest more transparent and phantom-esque. This is a very rough sketch that will change frequently, but I'm having a hard time deciding on a color palette (though I'm leaning towards the first one), but other than that, I'm excited to work on this!

Supporting Details
I want to do more with the feelers but Im not sure what, so here is some concept stuff that I quickly sketched in class http://imgur.com/a/k4aA0

WIP

so it's been a while since I updated anything but:

Definitely still have some things to fix/cleanup (like all of their necks) but I think this is basically how it's gonna end up looking. I also hastily made some alternate color options if you guys have any thoughts on that! I may also play around a bit with the helmet thing some more but we'll see!!

Color options: http://imgur.com/a/HIYJb
The second option just screams ghost more to me tbh

Last edited by a moderator:

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
Falchion: at least in my opinion, I think "C" and "B" are the best options, maybe adding some details in its design like chains, shackles, etc. in the case CAP23 will use Spirit Shackle or Anchor Shot

Morghulis: I'd pick the black/purple design, it's looks the most "ghostly" to me, nice design btw!

Magistrum: This design is pretty gourgeus, just a question, have you decided the colors it'd have?

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've got no update this time (due to work), but I feel like commenting anyway. :)
  • Chomz: A friend of mine suggests that as per the CAP concept, the dragon be a TrappING dragon rather than a trappED dragon.
  • epicparker: While I like the concept, I can't really imagine the design being found in the wild and a trainer catching it. If the 'mon were the dragon and the skeleton was removed, I'd find it more believable as a creature than as a construct.
  • Khalvin8: Aww, the little footsies were a design element I had to show the contrast between front and hind limbs. Plus, they're cute. How could the typing be more clear for the tapewyrm?
  • thebangzats: Thanks for the comment. I first thought of some sort of tape roll or tape dispenser snail shell, but I ended up with this. I think the tail works and helps bring out the ghostly side. XD
  • Rapti: Thank you for your feedback. Bottom-left or bottom-right is what I'll continue with, given the responses I've gotten.
  • 12MONeil: Tornado makes me think of Flying-type before Ghost-type. You also want want to be careful with snake designs, since CAP already has a snake.
  • Hollymon: Aah, it's inventive and wonderful. :D Only thing I'm not too on-board with is the frame around the design, but it has its charm. I'm not sure if I'd replace it with anything, and with what.
  • Falchion: Your designs could benefit from simplification. Yeah, a lot of Dragon-type Pokemon are spiky, but they tend to have less spike density. In general, I'd say to let your designs speak for themselves instead of walls of justification! The text isn't the submission being polled.
  • SilvanRaptor: I love how the Shoggoth dragon came out! I do wish it was a dark color besides blue, since that, along with its tentacles and floatiness reminds me of Hydreigon. Still, it is a very very good submission. :)
  • OwOniglio: You may only make one Final Submission post. I'd update your old one. 'u'b
  • Blackdrakon30: The design has no eyes. I'm fairly certain I had corrupted gems on the mind when sketching out tapewyrm. I have tinkered with adding cute Trapinch-like eyes, though. :P
Thank you to Khalvin8, SilvanRaptor, and everyone else who has provided feedback. :) It goes a long way into developing designs!

WIP

http://i.imgur.com/YlQ2MoL.png

To quote a certain dragon sidekick from a certain Disney movie: "I LIIIIIIIIVE!!!"

I was keeping tabs on CAP 23 ever since I returned to these forums a few weeks ago, but didn't realize that the art contest was already going until I checked back a while later. Ghost/Dragon seemed like a type combination I'd definitely be interested in, so while on work break today I doodled four conceptual sketches to fit both the type and the concept, and the justifications provided below. Now it's a matter of choosing which one to go with for the remaining duration of the contest, so if you guys could help me pick which one to stick with that'd be great. Hope you like 'em! :)

Concept A
  • Basis: The shiro-uneri is a yokai that's essentially a dishrag that forms into the shape of a dragon. I incorporated elements of a shed dragon skin, like that left by a molting snake, and fake taxidermy, with multiple bits of animal hide stitched together. I'm not particularly proud of the design, since I kinda failed at the "animal-skin rug" look, but I still think it gets the point across.
  • Type Justification: Since the shiro-uneri, being a yokai, is a supernatural being, and since it takes on the shape of a dragon, Ghost/Dragon is the perfect type combination for it. Additionally, the taxidermy-ish nature of this design lends well to the fact that it's either a reanimated dragon skin or sewn from the skins of dead dragons (dragon hide is a frequent clothing article in fantasy media).
  • Concept Justification: The behavior of the shiro-uneri is quoted from the above link: Shiro uneri flies through the air, chasing cleaning staff and servants, and attacking them by wrapping its slimy, mildewy body around their necks and heads, causing them to pass out from the stench. Occasionally, shiro uneri have killed servants by strangulation, though usually they seem more interested in mischief than murder. Note the boldfaced part - since the concept of this CAP relies on trapping moves, I can see this thing wrapping itself around its opponent and smothering it until it faints, rather like a draconic Lethifold.

Concept B
  • Basis: The dinosaur genus Therizinosaurus translates to "scythe lizard", and the Grim Reaper is commonly depicted wielding a scythe. Thus, this design is a therizinosaur whose scythes are equivalent to those of the Reaper, with the rest of its appearance modeled accordingly. Its feathers are arranged in a similar manner to the Reaper's cloak, ridges on its body resemble bones, and its face is skull-like, with just a hint of dodo bird for good measure.
  • Type Justification: Many of the known fossil specimens of Therizinosaurus are incomplete, and the first findings unearthed in 1948 consisted solely of its enormous claws, which were described in 1954 - the scientist who named them thought they were from a giant turtle! Until the 1970's, what this dinosaur looked like remained a mystery, with many assuming that it was a predator that used its claws to gut its prey, before new findings showed that it was in fact a gentle herbivore. The mystery that's surrounded this dinosaur would make it an interesting if unusual Ghost-type, while its Dragon-type comes from the fact that it and many of its relatives are from Asia - until the advent of modern science, Asian people thought that dinosaur fossils were the bones of dragons.
  • Concept Justification: As noted above, the other inspiration for this design is the Grim Reaper, who is a personification of death. Simply put, you cannot escape death - it always finds you, it always comes for you. To this end, I imagine that this CAP would be good at hunting down, trapping, and securing its victims no matter how hard they try to flee - perhaps its flavor could include its victims being pinned down by ghostly claws that don't look attached to the creature itself...

Concept C
  • Basis: I'll admit that this was a pretty unusual take on the typing, but I wanted to try designing at least one cryptid, and rather than using, say, the Loch Ness Monster or Mokele Membe (I already did the extinct creature theme with Concept B), I went with a more obscure cryptid: the Mapinguari from Brazil and Bolivia. It's described as having one eye, long claws, scaly skin, backward feet, and a second mouth on its belly; other accounts picture it as resembling either an ape or giant ground-dwelling sloth, capable of tearing apart small trees and reaching heights of 7 ft. when on its hind legs. In keeping with the typing, I emphasized the reptilian motif with a kaiju-like body shape, since some accounts show that it has crocodile-like scales that can withstand bullets, though it's also got the shaggy red fur from some other accounts on its head and limbs.
  • Type Justification: The Mapinguari is a cryptid, meaning that it's elusive, mysterious, and only known from word of mouth without scientific evidence of its existence. This makes it a good candidate for a Ghost-type, since these are traditionally rare (it's the 2nd rarest of the eighteen types, only above Ice), shun the prying eyes of humanity, and associated with the supernatural. As for the Dragon-type, the Mapinguari, aside from having scales in some accounts, is often described as being very powerful - according to its Wikipedia article, "a 1937 report from central Brazil claimed a mapinguari had gone on a three-week rampage, killing over 100 cows and ripping out the tongues from their carcasses." Yikes!
  • Concept Justification: Here's where it gets a bit tricky. The Wikipedia article states that this cryptid is slow but ferocious, but I don't recall it having trapping abilities explicitly. Nonetheless, it's stated to be able to move without making any noise even in thick vegetation, so my guess is that it's an ambush predator that can surprise its prey and pin it in place using its fangs and claws as well as its brute strength. I therefore believe this would be a very slow, tanky CAP, and trapping moves would more than make up for its inability to chase its victims down and prevent them from switching out on it.

Concept D
  • Basis: The olm, a type of cave salamander, was believed to be the larval form of some kind of dragon in medieval times. I figured that it would thus make an interesting design for a Dragon-type, but I had to think a little creatively to make it look fully-evolved like the other CAP designs are. I therefore mixed it with the Lambton Worm, a notorious serpentine dragon from England that was thrown into a well when the man whom it takes its name from discovered it. The Worm even has a head like a salamander in some accounts, so it fits. The protrusions on the sides of its head are inspired by the extinct amphibian, Diplocaulus, and each has nine slits like the dragon supposedly had on each side of its face.
  • Type Justification: Olms are cave-dwellers, and the deep, dark recesses of the earth are not conducive to the development of traditional senses such as hearing or eyesight. Thus, these salamanders' eyes are pretty much vestigial, and they've also lost all their pigment, giving them a ghastly pale appearance. It's not hard to imagine them as being ghost-like compared to their surface kin, on top of being historically thought of as dragon larvae and this CAP's Lambton Worm association.
  • Concept Justification: Similar to Concept A, the Lambton Worm is said to have immobilized its prey by coiling around it - in fact, that strategy ended up being used against it, when the man who had first found it came back to get rid of it with a suit of spiked armor that cut it apart when it attempted to constrict it. Physical trapping moves would thus be imagined as the CAP wrapping its body around its foe in a similar manner, though special trapping moves like Fire Spin might be a bit more of a stretch - perhaps it has slimy secretions that channel the elemental power of its special attacks.
C gets my vote because it looks like an FMA reference and an FMA reference is always good. I would suggest making the mouth look more like a void or black hole to emphasize the ghost typing and maybe incorporating more sloth like elements like longer arms and such.

WIP
http://i.imgur.com/lBRb6io.png

Since a lot of people were in favor of Options A and B, I'll work on both of those in more detail to see which one appeals to both myself and the masses more. I sketched an update on Option A today, so I might as well put it up here first and update Option B hopefully tomorrow.

Since the shiro-uneri is an Asian mythical creature I decided to incorporate a lot more Asian dragon influences including some of the 9 Semblances that Asian dragons have (camel head, cow ears, stag horns, eagle claws, tiger paws). I also put in an anchor on a cable for the tail to make the trapping vibe more clear - as well as indicate the method by which this thing is kept from getting loose - and also make the ribcage into an actual cage of sorts for the same reason. Finally, the wings - which some actual Asian dragons grow when they get old enough, by the way - drip with ectoplasm, because ghosts and gooey stuff have gone well together since Ghostbusters and the shiro-uneri is formed from a greasy cloth or rag. I can totally see it wrapping its wings and ribs around its prey and devouring it alive...

Magistrum: Interesting design, though the spiky bits could stand to be more mist-ish and wispy. Some depictions of the kirin do have their manes be made of flame, and a ghostly flame like a will-o-wisp would be perfect for a Ghost-type.
Morghulis: I think the second color option looks the best on it, it's a great combination of ghostly and dragony. I also like the chariot influence although maybe an extra tail to suggest reins would be nice.
Quanyails: I totally get the tapewyrm pun, though perhaps you could also add a little emphasis on the fact that tapeworms are literally a string of little bodies glued together. Perhaps eyespots or even actual eyes on the front of each segment?
SilvanRaptor: I agree with Quanyails that the purple and blue suggest Hydregion, so I'd suggest a sickly set of greens and yellows instead. Partly due to growing up with the Danny Phantom TV show (which featured mostly green ghosts) and partly because Cthulhu is often depicted as being green in color.
FellFromtheSky: Maybe an exposed backbone and ribs would help bring the Ghost-type out here? The legs already look skeletal as it is, too, but if the lower parts could be white and segmented they'd add to that as well.
Garbagery: I'd make the colors a little less complex (i.e. one flat color per area with shading effects like in Sugimori-style artwork), but this design looks pretty good otherwise. I like how the chain on the back half forms a clawed tail to seize things with.
HatfulofBomb: Seconded regarding the addition of smoke to integrate all the bones together. Especially with the addition of smokey wings, that'd be great.
thebangzats: Lovely bugger there, I especially love those runes, and maybe putting a few on the main body as well would help tie them into the design more. Also, I just have to say this: Pͪ̒̌̌̾ͥ҉̹̰͉̟̭̙h̩ͣ͛̇ͪͩ̇̕'̲̙̠̞͎̣̬̮͉͋̋͐̔͘͜͡n̥͓̆̈́̒̀͂̅̐g̴ͦ̈̒͋̊̀̚̚҉̶̲͖͚̱͙̲̼ļ̦̫̳̪̞̤̭ͭ͘ú̡̮̰͔͇ͫ̒̊̎i̩͍̤͙̍͗̓ͬ ̨͇̼̯͕̩̽̀̚͞m̶͍̣̝̦̩̪̟̟͒̌ͪ̑ͪ͋ͫ̿̃g͙͈̬̯̔̉͢͡l̼̱̪͕̥͍̗̓͊ͩ͛̾ͯͯẅ̦̞̠̗͕́͌̉̌̚͡'̯͓͎̤͎ͫͭn̮̯̩̗̖̩̞͈͇͋̀͐͋ͩ́a̙̪͓̭̙͆f̴͔͕͓̺̮̾̽̂͑̎̓h̢̻͙ͭ͘ ̢͕͔̬͖͊͒̾ͭ̀͞C̢̘̊̍̃̑͒̆͐͟t̵̼͍͈̟̲̊ͣͅh̡̰ͫ͋̕u̴̢̼̩̻̱͈̫̺͗ͭ͊̈́̅̽͆͌͟l̵̻̞͉̦̙̟̼̇̐̀̿ͫ̚̚h̝̙͓͍̖͛ͣͤ̀̍͗͋u̪̅ͣ̆̽ͤ̏́͡ ̨͎̟̭̥̌͆ͤ̀̋͒R̶̡̤͕͚͉͕̠̆ͭ̃ͦͭͥ͊'͙̣͓̫͖̬̺ͣ̏͘l͙̰̘̟̹̫̯̈ͪͣ̇͊ͧ̿̚͠͝ͅy̺̭̼̩̘̦̿ͦ͐͛̽̄̀̚ȅ̵̵͔͇͓͑̉h̸̠̱̣̦̩͍̹͎͉ͥ͑̓͂̅̊̃̚ ͔͖̹̃̆̀͡ͅẃ̴̨͖̼̫͇͇͓͊̍̽͋g̵̷̘̮̣̙͕̟͔̤̊ͯ̂̌ͅą͍̟̩̜̝̼͓ͯ̒ͥ̏̇͢h̷̝̙̲̳̰ͥ̂ͅ'̜̫̇͐̉ͭ̃̽͛͆n̵̢̗̣͈̼̝͓͇̓̃a̴ͣ̐ͪ͗͌҉̳̟gͫ̈́̑̈́ͦ̎͋̔̓͏̡͍̰̠ͅl̨̬̼̜̥̺͖̹͐ͦͪ̿ͮ́ͪ͠ ͍͕͕͚̌̾̏͋̅̋̅ͯ͝͝f̒͑͆̀̒ͭ҉̴͙̮̗̰̟͚̖͖h̨͗́͏̲̦̝̩t̹̱͎̩̜̝̿̓ͥ͘̕ͅͅą͋̋͂͆̀̎̂̂͏͙͖̻̦̯g̶̅ͣ̊͆͑͂͢͏̰̭͖̩̜̘̳ṇ͚͎̲̘̮̪͋͝͠

No update yet while I essentially facedesk getting this final pose down, just wanted to give some feedback to everyone. Feels a bit weird to give feedback since I don't consider myself particularly good at drawing, but I'll totes give my opinion if you want it.

11bug: I like the concept, provided we end up going bulkier which may honestly be a possibility. It could be a bit more imposing seeing as we're talking final evolution or single-stager, but then again not all of those are necessarily imposing (I'm looking at you, Mimikyuu). Keep working my mate.

12MONeil: I'm not really seeing the Ghost-type here. I understand the idea, but it needs a bit more especially taking into account that there are high odds of this 'mon using Spirit Shackle and thus that the move that fulfills the concept is Ghost-type.

Birkal: Stego :D. I like the idea a lot for a bulkier, slower physical build. I disagree with opinions of the design being too basic; it's got a fairly distinct silhouette thanks to the gravestones. The one qualm I may have is that it doesn't really scream Dragon at me. Since extinct concepts are often Rock in Pokemon, it almost feels more Rock/Ghost than Dragon/Ghost (Especially since the gravestones would work perfectly with Rock)

Chomz: ...It's spooky, but I just can't see it to the left of an Arcanine. I don't think it's the fact that it's too anthro, more... a general thing. I also think you may have gone a bit heavy with the binding theme, maybe remove the mouth and wing binds?

Chuckeroo: It looks a bit too heavily Steel for my taste. I also think the mid body may be a tad long. A bit of color variety would also help you make this design a lot more eye-popping than it is, since right now I need to zoom in and look at it for a couple seconds to comprehend where everything starts and everythin else ends. Clarity tends to be important, and often KISS is your best friend.

D4rk3r: Overall, my first thought is that I love it. After some moments of thought, I'm not sure how much I love it. It looks sleek and interesting, but it could also very well be a Fire-type or a Normal/Fire or Ghost/Fire or a lot of other things. I don't really know what you'd do to fix that without losing the great things you've got here, though, so /shrug. Good design.

DarkLatias: I suggest you tinker with the colors. The current blue for the body is a bit too dark in my opinion. I'd also cut back on the amount of fire a bit, since it's making the design very busy and generally makes it difficult to figure out where to look.

Darmico: I'd cut back on the red accents, make the wings more noticeable, and change the color of the massive tail spade. Right now the spade is blending with the bottom wing. Using color contrast to distinguish your mon's parts would help the readability of your design massively.

DatHeatmor: Lovely idea, very cute. Get some clear lineart and colors and maybe we can get some full reviews then ^_^

Duerengardnit: Oh, my mate, the type poll screwed you over. This would be great for a Dragon/Steel, but the current colors make it not quite look like a Ghost-type to me. I'd also shorten the body, since the current length makes it so you have a focus point at the head and another at the tail with a long transition between them, thus causing confusion in the viewer who can't tell where to look. And I think the only one who's pulled the rotating focus points off well has been Velasquez in Las Meninas, so that's a tough thing to replicate.

Epicparker: Unpopular opinion, I don't like this design much. It's very spooky and the idea of a clown dragon is nice, but there's too much color for my liking and way too much going on. I second that you should get rid of the skeleton, and think you should maybe look for another shade of yellow that creates less disconnection with the purple of the body. Maybe also mute said purple a tad.

EpicUmbreon29: Ouroboros :D. I'd thin the body a bit so it tapers towards the skeleton tail, since most serpentine creatures don't go from thick to thin in a short space within their bodies. If you're going for an Ouro theme, you probably should also close the eyes or make it look a bit more solemn, at least in my opinion. I also don't quite understand the position and fold of the tongue.

Falchion: Since you just posted it, I'll review that super busy sketch of option A. The idea of cloth-frankenstein-drake sounds great, but the current design just makes me feel like this is SkullGreymon 2.0. You're one of the guys I consider relatively better at this than me, so I'm a bit surprised at making that comment tbh. Let's see... the dripping of the wings looks like water and not shredded cloth, so unless that was your intention a reworks of that may be in order. The head also looks super busy to me: There's too much going on there.

All in all, I still like the concept and maybe the colors would help make it less "generic skull dragon but with tablecloths"

Felis Licht: This design shall from now on be referred to as "Wall Pupper". It looks adorable, and I can see the eastern dragon there but I also cannot unsee the fact that it looks like a very happy good boy with a torii gate top being worn as a crown. Colors may help make it more ghost-y, since I do feel it misses the mark a tad on that end.

FellFromTheSky: And here's someone else who is definitely better at this than me. This looks lovely and speaks to me a lot since my first idea was to make a Sleipnir-Nidhogg hybrid. Lovely coloring, spooky yet elegant, and probably my favorite one for a speedster build. I could easily see it being both physical and special.

Garbagery: And to contrast with wall pupper we now have Galapagos Dragon. I like the general design and the idea, but the body ends a bit too early in my opinion and I'm not too sure if the design is capable of locomotion (Then again, this is a ghost and thus probably flies). Colors are fine, but would benefit from a bit more light-dark contrast. There's too much darkish purple at the moment.

HatofulBomb: I like this, but it looks incomplete to me. The palette is fine, the whole "locked ribcage" thing is great and makes me think of a gate, but if you're going to have the two floating bones to represent wings then go for it full and make them more than just two floating sticks! Good idea, keep on it my mate.

HeaLnDeaL: Shibu :D. I do agree with what Sylvan said, it's not Dragon enough at the moment. Maybe turn the spectral bones into actual bones so that they really pop to the eye? I'm unsure about adding wings since that would make it really busy, but that'd help drake it up too.

Hollymon: Why is your art so adorbs askajspajdajsd (teach me). This looks lovely and super cute, especially with the coloring style. It's very simple, but then again so is my design and many times simple is better.

Igloo the Almighty: I'm not super sure what's going on here. It looks like two designs that are stuck together and also an ouroboros? I'd recommend either cleaning this a ton to make it understandable, or starting over.

Jackii: On one hand it's a flycatcher and the color really makes me think of a Psychic-type. On the other hand it looks amazing (This is me, self conscious about my scribbles again). Is that a tongue coming out of the neck there? ugh. Really unnerving, in a bad trip kind of way. Again, maybe the colors could be a tad more muted since Pokemon ghosts aren't necessarily known for neon and eye-catching colors.

JaeBirdie: I get the feeling this is a Kitsune Dragon and that idea is fine, very interesting even. However, you need to clean up the middle part and torso area. There's a lot going on there and I don't understand what connects where. Keep at it, maybe sketch it from another angle?

KeeganSkymin4444: On one hand there's nothing wrong with it per se. On the other, nothing really catches my eye. It feels like purpletini with wings. Can't really suggest much, besides telling you to spice it up a bit.

Letterman: My first qualm is that this really doesn't look like a Pokemon. It's... weird. I'd recommend changing approaches, though the idea of what I suppose is tormented spirit dragon with chains and a more humanlike feel should work fine.

Magistrum: Everything you do is gorgeous, mate. Just... wow. It also fits the concept really well and looks dynamic as hell. I can see this as a competitor no matter how the stats end up. In my opinion, slightly tilted head looks better. I also recommend leaving the face mask white and maybe the plating a pearl or white color too.

Menshay: I'm calling this Gargoyle Wyrm and I don't think there's nothing wrong with it per se, but at the current stage it's also not very appealing. I'll give more comments once we have clean lines and base colors. I'd also make the tail less fleur-de-lis and more threatening.

Morghulis: BRING MORE CONTAINER-REPTILES! NAVIATHAN WAS NOT ENOUGH! Realtho, it looks rather "egyptian chariot", and it certainly fulfills the concept. The head looks a little too rat-like for my taste, though, and I'd remove the tail-head.

Mova: I don't think it looks like a psychic, but I also don't think it looks like a dragon. Part of the issue with Dragon-types is that it forces very specific design considerations or funny puns because otherwise why is it a dragon-type? I'm sure there's ways to dragonize it, though. At the moment I'm just drawing a blank.

Mr Spyda: My only qualm is that my brain is telling me this thing should have the lowest speed tier in the game because I can't see how it's capable of locomotion at all. I know it's a trapper, but this looks like the only thing it's capable of doing is trapping and I don't see how it attacks the trapped Pokemon either.

Okamu: I'm not too sure what I'm looking at (I recommend tracing those lines with ink or thicker lines in whatever software you use) but let's call this Kappasaur. Again, my qualms with dinos and Rock-type, plus the fact that this doesn't give me any ghost vibes at all at the current state. It honestly looks like an unfortunately creepy Rock/Grass with some water vibes to me.

Quanyalis: Uuuuuu someone who again I consider my better and this Tapewyrm is really cute! love the pun, but I do agree it may be a little bit too simple and I tend to go for simple things myself. I heard the whole eyes in the segments idea and I'm not sure I like it too much, to be honest. I still really like this option, provided the stats don't end up too bulky.

Reigaheres: +1 vote for bottom right colors. Nice mayan/aztec vibe here, very eye-catching due to all the shape and geometry. It does take a couple seconds to figure out where everything is going, though, especially around the link between its left wing and its head.

Sgt. Moose: I disagree with the idea that this looks like a mid-evo, and it's one of my faves for a bulkier 'mon. If anything, I'd rid myself of the two small spots on the yoshi egg below the head, since they sort of make it look like a button-up shirt XD. Very nice.

SylvanRaptor: Shoggy is nice, a bit too busy around the mid-body though. I'd remove the tentacle that curls just below the body. Also, thanks for the comment! Yours is really nice too, not much I can critique. Keep at it my mate.

Sunfished: I can't wait to see this thing colored. It's not the most overt dragon ever but I can see how it fits that, but without colors I don't really feel the Ghost. Still a very nice design though, super cute o3o.

thebangzats: On one end, Cthulu. On the other, no matter how the description had gone I can't really link Cthulu to dragon. This really feels more like a Water/Ghost to me. The design is really good overall, but when I slap Dragon/Ghost over it it just... doesn't do it for me.

The Steam Punk: We salute The Tron Dragón. Very stylized and eye-catching, but I don't understand why the flame on the tail is going that way. All in all not a bad idea, it just needs a good amount of polish.

Zephias: Too simple, it's just a ghost mouth with skeletons pls.

Falchion I like the left sketch a lot more, I think than the right one is very overdesigned, with too many details, you don't really need to be so explicit with the Asian elements, it would work a lot better as a blanket-ghost-dragon, vaguely inspired by the shiro-uneri.

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Here's an update! Just wanted to know how you all feel on the design now, and then I'll work on a palette!

The design is based on the dragon sea slug, and goth queens.

also, Omega Comment post!
If I didn't comment on your design, that means I probably already did to you personally or on discord!
11bug
This is a very cute design! You did a great job at combining a cauldron and a dragon very well, without making it feel like it's just one element on top of another. Something that I think you could work on in this design is to simply flesh it out, since right now it feels a bit too simple. I believe you could add more ghost-like elements to it as well, maybe taking advantage of the cloud it has on its head to further integrate the ghost typing more.

12MONeil
I find it interesting you went with this sort of design, and integrated the ghost typing less obviously. While it has an interesting shape, I think the simplicity ends up making it feel like it's just a regular snake striking a pose. If I could suggest something to further your design, I think it might be worthwhile to add some more flair to the patterns on its body, and definitely adding some other shape to the piece. I was thinking maybe some ghost-like element, to not only bring out the tornado shape more, but also help make the connection that it's a ghost type.

Birkal
This is one of my favorite designs so far! The physical integration of the ghost typing using the tombstones is a clever and creative way of avoiding the general "spooky wisps" that most ghost designs tend to have. It's also cool how you integrated it into an animal that fits the concept well, making it feel more natural than a conglomeration of random elements. The only thing about it that feels weird to me is the tail, which looks more detailed than the rest of the design. It sort of sticks out a bit too much compared to the rest of it, so I think making it simpler would make it fit.

Chomz
I can definitely see the typings in this guy, which is great! However, I think the typings feel a bit too tacked on, making it look less like the typings naturally fitting together, and more that the two elements were just added onto one another. If you could possibly make the chains and other inorganic elements fit more naturally, I think it'll help mesh the typings together better.

chuckeroo777
This design is really fun, but it's very hard to tell that it's dragon and ghost. If anything, it looks very mechanical, which moves it towards more of a steel typing than anything else. It's hard to recommend what to change about it without completely revamping the design, but I think a good place to start is to try a different color. If you made it a sort of off-white color, you might be able to pass it off as bones, and possibly alter the head in a way to make it feel draconic.

D4rk3r
I REALLLYY love this guy! The way its posed gives it a very nice look into the way it moves and behaves, which is great at helping it give off a ghost type vibe. I don't really have much to criticize about this design, since it does well at conveying the typings so far.

Darklatias92
Utilizing the Pokemon Statue was a really neat spin on the typings, which is super cool! However, as it stands right now it looks very similar to Charizard Mega X, which I assume is because it has a similar palette and the iconic fire coming from the side of the mouth. I think changing one or the other, or both, will help diassociate it with megazard.

darmico
The first thing I noticed about this design was that it's shaped like a bow and arrow and anchor, which is a SUPER clever way of integrating the possible moves this cap might get! The only thing I suggest changing is to smooth out the lines a bit, and remove or alter some of the more detailed-heavy aspects of it such as the red spots. Otherwise, I'm very interested in seeing how this develops!

Durengardnit
I had a feeling someone would do an idea based on a mimic, and you did a great job at it! As it stands, I can definitely see the relationship between the chest and the dragon typing, which is great at creating a natural connection between those elements. However, it's very hard to see the ghost typing in this design, other than the grays you've used. As a suggestion, I think you could shorten the body length and possibly make it appear more wispy, such as duskull's drapey arms. An idea I've had on making it appear more ghost-like is to also possibly change the body to be some sort of ragged cloak, which not only helps its ghost typing, but also integrates a royal-theme to it as well, which compliments the dragon and treasure chest!

epicparker
Oh boy, this is one creepy dude o__o
It does a great job at combining the typings into one natural entity! Only thing I would suggest changing about it is the head in general, which doesn't seem to mesh well with the body. It might be because it has a lot more detail going on in it, or maybe it's drawing too much of a focal, leaving the rest of the body unappealing. It's a great concept though, so whatever you do I'll be interested in seeing!

EpicUmbreon29
Great integration of the typings! If there's anything I can suggest, is that you could possibly add some more interesting parts to the body. Right now, the only thing it has going for it is the head, making the rest of its body, especially the middle part, pale in comparison. Since the middle part of its body is the largest part of its design, I think if you added some sort of pattern there, like what snakes usually have, it might help bring out that section more!

Falchion
Epic! This is personally a favorite of mine, because it sticks to more simple concepts that are easily associated to the typings this cap has. The only thing that I wish you would touch upon on it is that it's sort of cluttered. While it does make the design "cooler", having too much going on with it makes it feel like the design elements you've put in it were just cobbled together. From the two designs you have currently, I think the left one does a better job at keeping it relatable to the typings without overdoing it, and even then could lose a little detail such as the chains on its arms.

Felis Licht
I'm always a fan of the more cute approaches to cap designs, and this one is a great contender! As of now, it's a bit hard to see how the rest of the body looks, so if possible, I'd love to see some more sketches of it.

FellFromtheSky
This one is very elegant, and its easy to see the ghost typing in just the posing alone! Other than that, I think the ghost arms coming out of its body feel unnatural, more like they've been tacked on just to help justify the ghost typing further. I believe the design would still get the typing across without those extra arms, and helps clear the clutter around the front half of its body.

HatfulofBomb
This is probably my favorite "skeleton dragon" design, just because it goes a step further by introducing another concept that works very well with it! The only thing that I'd suggest changing is to make the lock on its chest feel a bit more natural. Right now, it seems less like its an actual part of the pokemon, and more that someone just put it there.

Hollymon
Welcome back! ;;
As usual, you always bring these cute and small designs that are super great! However, I think that might also be a problem since the design doesn't give the impression that it's on its final stage, or one that looks like it can't be developed further. I wouldn't change it based on that though, but it's something you might look into considering.

Igloo the Almighty
Interesting use of the ouroboras for this cap design! It's sort of hard to make the connection though, which might be a problem in helping its lore. Outside of that, my suggestions to your design is to possibly flesh out the head to make it more interesting, and then integrate the two typings more closely together. Right now, the two typings don't feel naturally integrated, and more like they were both just put together.

JaeBirdie
The really long limbs and other parts of the design are what I love best about your design, since it gives the impression of this creepy dragon just steadily creeping along the ground. Of the color palettes you presented, I'd love to see how #1 and #3 look, especially #1 since it has some interesting shades of green! The only suggestion I can give on this design is to possibly make the tentacles coming out of its arms, and the fire coming out of that, more imposing. Maybe making it start out small from the ends and then getting increasingly longer towards the middle part of the arms?

KeeganSkymin4444
Very elegant design, and I'm a sucker for simple ones! However, I think it's leaning to being a bit too simple, since there doesn't seem to be much of anything to look at. If you could, I think if you added some patterns to the body, in a controlled way, I think it would help make it more interesting!

letterman4
Cool idea on integrating the dragon typing through the lore, and the ghost typing physically! However, it appears to be too humanoid to me, and aspects of the gown and shoulder pads only makes it moreso. What I would suggest doing is making the folded-over parts of the front of the gown more natural, and making the shoulder pads more like extensions of the shoulders. I think the concept is a very solid foundation to work on, so I'm hoping you work on it a bit further!

Menshay
This is another great example of combining the typings into a natural design, making both of the typings compliment each other! There isn't much else to elaborate on the design, since I very much like all of it. Can't wait to see how you color this!

Morghulis
One of the more clever designs, since it uses a concept that at first wouldn't be associated to dragons or ghosts. While I think you did an amazing job at bringing out the dragon typing, the ghost typing feels tacked on. The concept of the decapitated hydra heads acting as the ghost typing sounds cool, but in this case they seem very extra, and in a sense the only source of the ghost typing. If you could, I would suggest using the ghost typing in more of the piece to help balance it out, such as maybe turning the front arms into ghost arms.

Mova
Cute! There isn't much to say about this design, other than it having a cool palette choice. Fleshing out the design with some more elements, maybe drawing inspiration from more of the influence, might help in making it have more to say about it in terms of interesting parts.

Mr Spyda
I unironically think this is a good concept. Instead of making the body a box, how about turning it into a ribcage shaped like a jail cell? It would help integrate the trapping element into the body more naturally!

Okamu
It's sort of hard to see the design because of the way you scanned it, but from what I can see, I think the design edges on being too simplistic, in the sense that there isn't much noteworthy aspects about it. The most bare part of it, which I think you can take advantage of, is its back, so I think it would be awesome if you could possibly add something there to make it have more flair. Since it looks like a disnosaur, maybe research some dinosaurs with something interesting on their backs, and then utilize those shapes to build up something!

Quanyails
Tapewyrm is possibly the best nickname I've ever heard, and the design is even better! The simplicity of it, while keeping it very interesting, is my favorite part of it. There isn't much to comment on the design otherwise, but I'm interested on seeing how you could implement the head to fit with the flatness of everything else. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the head looks spherical and round, compared to the rest of the design which utilizes a flatness.

Sgt.Moose
Cute design! It does a good job at displaying the typings, especially since it uses an interesting concept to help get the typings across. It looks sort of like it could evolve further though, but that's the only complaint I have.

SilvanRaptor
This is in my tp favorite designs, since it not only has an interesting shape, but because everything about it seems to mesh well together, and on top of that gets the typing! There isn't much to comment on the design itself, but from a final render view, I feel like the wisp at the end of the tail going in a different direction from the other wisps should go the same way as the others. It's a very small nitpicky thing to say though, so feel free to ignore it!

thebangzats
Also one of my favorite designs! I usually dislike inorganic matter being put into a design, but you managed to make it feel very natural without going overboard with it. There isn't much else to say, since I believe the shapes do an amazing job already. Can't wait to see the colors!

The Steam Punk
The pose of this design makes it very dragon-like, and has a very interesting palette to boot! Otherwise, I find it hard to see the ghost typing in this, and if it's there, it isn't very apparent. If the blue fire is what you're going with to make it ghost type, I think you could do with adding more of it around the body, since right now the length of the body seem very bare.

Zephias
I'm a sucker for very weird and creepy designs, so this one I like personally! It has an interesting shape as well, which helps distinguish it from the generic body types that are usually seen. The only thing I want to suggest on this is to possibly make the spines less detailed, but not too much to make it lose the visual cue that they're spines.

Update

WIP 2

(Whatever you are supposed to write)

As numerous people have told me, the previous version did not look like a ghost type. So I decided to go full edgelord add a dragon skull and bones to the design and make the colours dark gray and purple. Also shortened the rest of the body and got rid of the anchor tail thing.

More details and poses.

https://i.imgur.com/v2mxiZY.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/gUucO5P.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/VCScegF.jpg

My main inspiration for this comes from coats of arms which commonly feature wyverns/dragons ((a couple relevant examples), hence other elements like the fleur-de-lis tail, the floating crown and the collar which is meant to represent a band with a motto. The ghost part comes from the overall decline of nobility; I could envision this haunting or guarding abandoned castles.
I kept the shackles on the legs to avoid making them look too thin. I also tried to incorporate more bone elements as the spikes on its ridge.

MOD EDIT: Only 1 full size image allowed. Multiple images must be posted as links.

WIP
I swear I didn't see the other clown before I designed this boy. (I was formulating him the whole week on discord)
Anyway, ghosts are scary, clowns are scary; therefore, ghosts are clowns. The insides of its clowny shell is stretchy like them toons. A simple step on a shadow or an outstretched arm can lead to your doom.

WIP

Here I go again. Most feedback I've gotten for Eggmon is that it doesn't look fully evolved. While I can kinda see where people are coming from I really did not know how I would correct the problem without breaking the shell of the design. Maybe the more actiony pose and flipping the body-egg might help.

I'm actively on CAP Discord giving my thoughts (for what they are worth) on designs posted there, mainly because then there can be instant feedback back and forth.

E: Removed other design altogether.

Last edited:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Marshadow's pet Shib Dragon? idk. Render is really bad/WIP still. But, tis a new direction and I might play with this one more so uh we'll see.

EDIT: Changed blue to purple. Dunno how I feel about it tho.
Some select comments for others:
D4rk3r I like how streamlined your design is; it's simple and clean. My one worry is that it's... maybe more weasel-like than dragon-like. It's very subtly dragon and very subtly ghost... I think designs don't have to "scream" ghost/dragon, but both types are somewhat muted in yours and I'm curious to see how you can emphasize things a bit more.
@Durengardnit I like your new digital render so much more than your original pencil sketch and the skeletal markings work really well! The concept of the treasure chest head is super neat but I'd perhaps want to see the treasure a bit more integrated into the design. Interesting concept though.
@FellFromtheSky Very interesting design and I think it captures the typing pretty well. It might just be the colors, but to me the long tail seems almost fish-like. The design is rather complex and perhaps elements could be simplified to make it a bit more cohesive but that's just me and its far from necessary. I think the post has a great silhouette value but looks a bit awkward for real movement. All this said, this is probably one of my favorite designs so far.
Jackii It's a super cool design and is somehow both simple and energetic. But perhaps that energy somehow makes it look like it's an electric type to me... something more like Electric/Psychic than Dragon/Ghost. I think the sharp lines just take away any feeling of ghost that you might have been going for. I'm looking forward to seeing how you progress though.
Magistrum It's a Magistrum design. Of course it's cool and of course it fits. I like it way more than your submission for the last CAP. Not much else to say; I think it captures the typing p well. It might be a tad complex for my liking but it's not a deal breaker.
Menshay I can tell you have some neat drawing potential if you keep trying! I'm not trying to be overly harsh here, but I sort of feel like it's a generic dragon with shackles and a graveyard fence tipped tail. I think simply dragon + chain and fence motifs won't be enough. Take a look at Birkal's design and see how it plays on the graveyard theme by integrated elements into an animal's natural design.
Mr Spyda It's a very cool concept for a trapping mon. That said, something about it makes me feel like you had this design before the typing was decided and you just through a generic skull in to make it ghost. And I don't think the skull works. For starters, a skull doesn't work as an effective lure to trap something imo. And then when the skull is gone... then there's no ghost elements left. It's a sick trapping dragon but the ending parts seem rushed and don't jive with me personally.
Golurkyourself I... I'm honestly not a fan. I get clowns can be creepy but I don't think a clown by itself is super ghostly. You're a great artist. I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around the direction you've chosen.

If I haven't listed comments for your design it's probably because I don't have much to say or because I talk to you a lot on PS/discord already.

I'm seeing a lot of cool sketches, can't wait to see things develop!

Last edited:

Mintly

formerly Spook
is an Artist
WIP
Marshadow's pet Shib Dragon? idk. Render is really bad/WIP still. But, tis a new direction and I might play with this one more so uh we'll see.
Personally seeing it as it would be more of the electric type variety, which is given off from the coloration of the fur being poofy and black, resembling a storm cloud, and even resembling Cyclohm, maybe shoot for more spoopy colors?

https://plus.google.com/photos/phot...750&ssid=e7606391-1be9-44ba-833c-3d030c6e4ef6
WIP
The original drawing of the dragon got deleted and since I wasn't able to scan I converted the Dragon into a sprite. The dragon now has thicker arms and tail and its wings have been decreased in size. The dragon's neck is now smaller and its leaking some Ectoplasm. Are you happy now!? I went through the struggle of converting the dragon into a sprite, only to get the post deleted because I used the "Upload a file" feature. Here's the dragon!

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist

Current draft for Bearded Quetzalcoatl's final pose. Design has been mostly streamlined to be more in Pokemon's roudish style, the black parts are now segments exposing its edgy soul, and this birdo now has some teeth he uses for Psychic Fangs! The ghost typing is very evident, and while the Dragon type isn't as clear, it's quite a flexible typing and it's certainly more draconic than a certain other, cloudier, bird.

WIP

http://imgur.com/a/QoB9O

Since it seems that the forum is now moving onto the abilities, I've decided to continue revising both of the concepts that were favored the most. Which one I'll choose depends on both feedback from you guys and which ability (or abilities) will ultimately be decided.

mxmts and Zephias: I revised Dragon Rug quite a bit based on the advice of you two, and although I kept the whiskers and snout from the overdesigned sketch, the rest has been dumbed down quite a lot, with extraneous elements like the shackles and markings removed, the bones being simplified, and the wings no longer dripping ectoplasm, instead being just shabby cloth like a funeral shroud. I hope this updated concept works better!

As for Reaper Dino, I removed and/or simplified a lot of the elements such as the bone ridges, and also took the advice of Blackdrakon30 and made the wings membranous, which also makes them resemble the sleeves of the Grim Reaper's cloak. I also added some horns inspired by Triceratops and the newly discovered Sharingasaurus, so as to add to the draconic feel of this design. Most importantly, there's also a belly mouth now, which was partly derived from the Mapinguari design in the initial concept pitch; I figured that it'd help justify the trapping angle, plus it'd be great for spitting out eldritch energy to use ranged trapping moves like Fire Spin or Spirit Shackle. Plus, both Dusknoir (who has a similar belly mouth) and Therizinosaurus have these big pot bellies, so it was only natural to give Reaper Dino a more malevolent version of Dusknoir's tummy pocket. :P

Note to self: GIMP isn't as effective as Photoshop when it comes to image editing. Or at least for me, it's got a steeper learning curve. :/

Current draft for Bearded Quetzalcoatl's final pose. Design has been mostly streamlined to be more in Pokemon's roudish style, the black parts are now segments exposing its edgy soul, and this birdo now has some teeth he uses for Psychic Fangs! The ghost typing is very evident, and while the Dragon type isn't as clear, it's quite a flexible typing and it's certainly more draconic than a certain other, cloudier, bird.
I like this design, but it seems just a tad incomplete to me, personally. If it helps make the Dragon-type clearer, I'd suggest adding dinosaur-like horns and maybe boney spikes running down the back like a typical Western dragon, as well as putting claws on the wings like an Archaeopteryx. A lot of Dragon-types look quite prehistoric, a lot of prehistoric reptilian Pokemon get Dragon-type moves, and bearded vultures have been said to look like dinosaurs, so I think a prehistoric-looking skeleton-vulture-amphiptere thing would get the Ghost/Dragon type combo across very well, on top of looking really damn cool.

Modedit: Merged double-post.

WIP I guess?

https://i.imgur.com/dwQ1v86.png

(Weird, I swear I didn't upload anything... I just copied the link from imgur. I think I did it right this time? o.o)

So, this is what my design ended up looking like after many hours of figuring out how to digital art... and it was only after I finished that I realized "Holy shit, I forgot to make this with a black outline." So, I felt I'd just post this and see what happens with it... I don't actually know if I'm gonna keep updating with this or not (tbh this was mostly just me trying to finally learn some digital art). Maybe I'll go back and fiddle until I get a good outline for stuff, maybe I won't.

On a more constructive note though, I can provide some critiques for other some of my favorites so far! Yay!

Reigaheres I really enjoy this design overall, but my one and only problem with it is that lack of a clearly draconic theme. I think maybe a spike or scale texture somewhere along the tail could really help.

SilvanRaptor I also really love this design, but the one thing that I can't decide if I like or not yet is the mouth. It seems on one hand like the top should be a bit protruded, but at the same time, no?

Quanyails The tapewyrm is super great, but part of we worries it looks a bit too much like a normal type with that color scheme of whitish lavenders.

Garbagery I really enjoy the trapping feel yours gives with the locks and chains, by far the one of my favorites that best displays trapping for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)