CAP 24 CAP 24 Final Product

Drapionswing

Eating it up, YUMMY!
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
We've done it! Jumbao, the 24th CAP, is finally complete. I've had a really enjoyable time working together with my TL team and the community to create such an awesome Pokemon. The debates and discussion was really potent, and I enjoyed a lot of discussion we had. Although we had to reevaluate the checks list, it still contributed to the quality of discussion as much as possible and that is a win in my eyes.

Now that just leaves me with the task of assigning Jumbao a height and weight. I've decided to go with 2.4m to put in line with other big pokemon such as Mega Venusaur, Rhyperior and Buzzwole. As for weight, I feel as if Jumbao's weight looks like it's lighter than Zygarde-Complete, therefore I've chosen 600kg. I didn't really have much of an idea about this so I've just used other Pokemon to make it as realistic as possible, in my head anyway.

I would also like to say that I'm really proud of the TLT, we had a fair few new timers and I believe they all handled their stages very well and couldn't have done a better job really. Thank you to past TLs such as reachzero & snake_rattler for helping me with my first attempt as a topic leader.

Lastly, I'd just like to say thank you to the modelling team that did an amazing job with the animation for Jumbao. In such a small time, they made Jumbao look really good and I'm very happy with the outcome.

And with that, let's give caps "Tree of Life" a warm welcome!

Name: Jumbao

Typing: Grass/Fairy
Abilities: Drought/Trace/Overcoat
Stats: 92 HP / 63 Atk / 97 Def / 124 SpA / 104 SpD / 96 Spe
Height: 2.4m
Weight: 600kg
Sprites:

Movepool:
HS Shore Up
HS Lucky Chant
HS Fake Out
1 Detect
1 Flower Shield
1 Tackle
1 Leafage
3 Tackle (R)
7 Leafage (R)
10 Rototiller
14 Ingrain
17 Magical Leaf
21 Wish
24 Psych Up
28 Body Slam
31 Natural Gift
35 Sunny Day
35 Flame Burst
38 Bullet Seed
42 Heavy Slam
45 Energy Ball
49 Moonblast
52 Leaf Storm

Grassy Terrain (Exeggutor)
Healing Wish (Cherrim)
Misty Terrain (Cottonee)
Smelling Salts (Cacnea)
Wood Hammer (Exeggutor)

Snore
Synthesis
Helping Hand
Block
Worry Seed
Giga Drain
Gravity
Seed Bomb
Magic Coat
Magic Room
Wonder Room
Superpower

TM 06 Toxic
TM 08 Bulk Up
TM 10 Hidden Power
TM 11 Sunny Day (R)
TM 15 Hyper Beam
TM 16 Light Screen
TM 17 Protect
TM 20 Safeguard
TM 21 Frustration
TM 22 Solar Beam
TM 27 Return
TM 30 Shadow Ball
TM 31 Brick Break
TM 32 Double Team
TM 37 Sandstorm
TM 42 Facade
TM 44 Rest
TM 45 Attract
TM 48 Round
TM 52 Focus Blast
TM 53 Energy Ball (R)
TM 64 Explosion
TM 68 Giga Impact
TM 74 Gyro Ball
TM 77 Psych Up (R)
TM 78 Bulldoze
TM 86 Grass Knot
TM 87 Swagger
TM 88 Sleep Talk
TM 90 Substitute
TM 99 Dazzling Gleam
TM 100 Confide
Concept:
  • Name - Snow or Shine (or Sand)
  • Description - A Pokemon that abuses 2 weather conditions for different effects
  • Justification - Currently in CAP, there is only one form of weather that is really worth using: rain, and only one really type of weather abuser: offensive sweeper. This concept means to address both of these issues by creating a new niche for two weather conditions. This concept would fill the archetype of a weather abuser, but I feel it also fits into the Actualization category as it would also aim to create a new role for a weather abuser for 1 or more different weather conditions.
  • Questions To Be Answered
    • Why are hail, sun, and sand underrepresented in the current metagame?
    • What makes rain the best weather condition currently?
    • How can this CAP encourage the use of other weather conditions? What do hail, sun, and/or sand need? Sweepers? Setters? Walls?
    • What weather effects are underutilized? How can we successfully use these effects?
    • How can one Pokemon utilize different weather conditions for different effects and sets?
    • Should this Pokemon be able to function outside of weather-based teams? If so, what niche would it need to fulfill? If it sets it's own weather, is it enough to abuse the weather condition on its own?
  • Explanation - For those who don't fully see how a not-sweeper weather abuser could work, take Lileep in LC for example. Lileep, mainly back in BW and XY as sand is quite uncommon in SM, is on most sand teams, as it can abuse its Rock-typing to boost Special Defense, the passive damage from sand, and its access to Recover and Toxic to become a weather abusing wall. Another possible interaction would be running Ferrothorn on rain teams to semi-nullify its Fire weakness. Not only typings are underexplored though! There are many moves, items, and of course abilities that can be used to abuse different weather conditions in a way that no Pokemon really does currently.

Last edited by a moderator:

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I personally feel extremely proud, as this is the first time I have contributed to the creation of a CAP. Especially since it was the very first time submitting stats, i was worried I'd never get them right. Congratz to Dogfish44 Pipotchi and others who have also contributed to the formation of Jumbao!!!!!!

Congrats to everyone involved for making yet another incredible CAP! This was the first time I've had the pleasure to try to help on making a CAP, and the vigor that this project has had makes me really excited for the next one. Also shoutouts to the sprite artists and 3D modelers for putting in so much time to really make Jumbao feel alive!

Congrats everyone! I feel like Jumbao's process was a bit more tricky than most, mostly because we almost ended up making Baozilla, the Destroyer of Planets. The Discord discussion was extremely active and the process ended up morphing into something completely different from our expectations at the start.

I feel like Jumbao fulfills our concept and is a pretty great 'mon to boot, that's probably gonna shake the meta quite a bit. Congrats to everyone on the TLT, the community and the artists! Also hella gratz to the rest of my 3d brethren for what was essentially How To 3D: The Speedrun.

I am extremely happy with how this project turned out, as I was much more involved this time around than I was last time, especially in abilities and movesets. I also am absolutely in love with the design, sprites and models. I love everything about this CAP. We somehow made a weather CAP that wasn’t Chlorophyll. I am very excited to playtest Jumbao on Sun and Sand builds alike. Discord in particular was very useful this time, more than ever in determining our fates, as without it, Chlorophyll would have been rubberstamped. Here’s to Heatran’s best frenemy!

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Really glad how this project turned out! Having a Grass-type that doesn't flop to Tomohawk, as I've mentioned many times in the process, will definitely shake up the metagame! This has been a great, fast, and enjoyable project! Shoutouts to the TL, TLT, mods, artists, and modelers!!

Congrats on finishing Jumbao faster than I expected! I'm looking forward to his performance in the current meta.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I gotta say that this has been overall my favorite CAP to participate in, and I'm very satisfied with how this CAP turned out. ^_^ There are several things I'd like to recognize!
  • The competitive discussion was high-quality. We started out with one perception of where this CAP would go, and it turned into something completely different but nonetheless fitting for the concept. I think we learned a lot about the concept and the questions it asks!
  • In addition, kudos to not just the people making submissions for a stage but also the people giving them feedback! The quality of submissions was really high this time around, so kudos to the people that make it happen!
  • Finally, the TLT team was excellent in being responsive and guiding the CAP process. It was a really smooth journey from start to end. It was a pleasure working with you, and I look forward to what you contribute next!

Austin

Schismatic
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Very cool final project it was enjoyable to watch this unfold, Jumbao has been released on the damage calc :)

This is the first project that I have consistently checked in on, mostly just lurking. Great job to everyone who contributed to this project, I can't wait for the next one!

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I was only around for the first half of the project, but it was fun to participate in and the leadership was top-notch! Can't wait to use our big tree boi in battle!

I had a blast participating in this CAP, as well as being a part of the mad 3D dash at the end! Great job to everyone who took part, especially the TLT for keeping things running smoothly!

Steam Buns

:rosetriumph:
is a Pre-Contributor
Once again a pleasure seeing a new CAP mon unravel I am absolutely in love with how it turned out! well done to everybody who worked on it you are all amazing. This is my second time following the process and I am very excited to get more involved with the next one :D

Im super happy with how smoothly the project progressed and how much input I got to have despite being basically brand new to CAP. Shoutout to the spriters and modellers that rly brought everything to life also! Now I want the next one to begin!

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This was a good project with many interesting discussions, a few nifty competitive twists, and lots of creative flavor. Thanks to the TLT and the CAP mods for keeping everything moving along smoothly and bringing this to the finish line! Can't wait for CAP 25!

Nice job, everyone!

Anyways, this has been the first CAP I've ever contributed to and it just feels fantastic to know what it means to be in a community such as this one. Also, contributing to or just watching the process from the sidelines was something I've never experienced before. Can't wait for the next CAP!

Good job, TLT, Mods, and everyone who contributed!

Last edited:
Absolutely loved this project. School kept me out from participating as much as I would've liked, but I absolutely loved reading all of the interesting discussions. Thanks again to the amazing leadership team and also the outstanding artists that brought Jumbao to life!

First time on working on a CAP as well. Lots of decisions were made in the process of making this CAP, it was certainly interesting

SHSP

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributor
I’m super happy with how Jumbao has come out! As a first time TLT member, I had an absolute blast with my stage and although IRL conflicts came out of nowhere and kept me from helping much of the rest of the project, I’m excited to use the final product and think it turned out amazing! Thank you to everyone for making Jumbao this good!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)