CAP 24 CAP 24 - Part 12 - Flavour Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulfanator

Clefable's wish came true!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
I know I've already mentioned Cursed Body once and how it adds to the lore of the Kodama spirits, but I haven't seen very many people mentioning it. I wanted to also mention that a less-expected ability would also compliment the design of Jumbao. When Pip was originally showing off his work, there was a lot of backlash saying it wasn't "fairy enough". We should continue with that trend.

I know I've already mentioned Cursed Body once and how it adds to the lore of the Kodama spirits, but I haven't seen very many people mentioning it. I wanted to also mention that a less-expected ability would also compliment the design of Jumbao. When Pip was originally showing off his work, there was a lot of backlash saying it wasn't "fairy enough". We should continue with that trend.
While Cursed Body certainly seems interesting, I'd also like to consider Aftermath for the exact same flavor reasons.

People have also been mentioning Klutz, which is an excellent choice. However, an argument to be made for Klutz, that the items get stuck in the sap, could also apply to Sticky Hold.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
While Cursed Body certainly seems interesting, I'd also like to consider Aftermath for the exact same flavor reasons.

People have also been mentioning Klutz, which is an excellent choice. However, an argument to be made for Klutz, that the items get stuck in the sap, could also apply to Sticky Hold.
Cursed Body makes no sense to me, as while I understand that you are trying to tap into the spiritual nature of Jumbao, Cursed Body goes against all of the established flavour made for Jumbao. Jumbao doesn't seem like it would punish Pokemon that would come too close to it. Aftermath i am against for these same reasons. Aftermath seems to lean into mons that incorporate exploding into its very nature, and somehow repulsive smelling objects. it also helps to note that everything with Aftermath learns Explosion via level up.

Aftermath would be a quite interesting choice, as it could be a clever reference to the Territorial Oak from Earthbound, who bursts into flames and damages the party once knocked out (a la Aftermath):

1526429483071.gif

Granted, I don’t think it would fit this Pokémon in particular, but it would be an amusing choice.

Frisk, Overcoat, and Symbiosis seems to be my favorite three mentioned so far. Symbiosis, imo, needs a bit more discussion. It's a competitively useless move (even in doubles) that fits the idea of Jumbao being a happy sort of 'mon that is willing to give things to its friends (making it a Giving Tree) and of the two current lines to have it, one of them (Florges line, the first to get this ability) is a plant-based Fairy-type.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Hey all,

Poll will be going up shortly with the following 8 options:

Klutz
Overcoat
Overgrow
Frisk
Own Tempo
Cute Charm
Healer
No Flavour Ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)