CAP 25 - Part 12 - CAP 25g Pokedex Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Submission

Caribolt, the Railgun Pokemon

Sun: Rivals spar in the mating season by launching prismatic blasts from their antlers. These showy displays avoid unnecessary injury.

Moon: Its thunderous battle charge generates massive kinetic energy that electrifies its hooves and antlers.

Ultra Sun: Basking often during the summer, Caribolt slowly converts sunlight into electromagnetic power. Its antlers can store enough electricity to last through months of darkness in the winter.

Ultra Moon: Caribolt prance splendidly during snowy nights leading up to the winter solstice. The reason for this behavior is unknown.

I wanted the dex entries to showcase Caribolt's strengths while also threading together some of the more disparate elements of its design. The first two entries address Caribolt's gameplay design, such as its ability, stats, and movepool. The Sun entry explains why Caribolt would have such a pronounced cannon on its head and large special movepool despite being a primarily physical attacker. Herbivores often engage in ritual combat that is designed not to cause serious injury, and animals of the same species rarely fight to the death in nature. So Caribolt could use its antler-cannon, in conjunction with its relatively low Special Attack, as a safe way to fight over mates or territory. The Moon entry, in contrast, is meant to highlight the Hidden Ability Galvanize and explain how Caribolt might also use kinetic energy to empower its far more dangerous physical attacks.

The Ultra Sun entry uses some classic "Pokéscience" that ties together Caribolt's two typings and its presumed Arctic homeland with a logical explanation. Using photosynthesis is an almost ubiquitous feature of all Grass-type designs, and storing electrical power like a battery is a common ability of many Electric-types. It therefore makes sense for an Arctic animal that relies on sunlight to be able to store power in a unique way during the winter in the far north. (For those who don't know, the tilt of Earth means that Arctic winters have extended periods of night). And finally, the Ultra Moon entry is supposed to be a fun shout-out to Caribolt's reindeer name and Christmas themes, in a way that is vague enough to be appropriate for the Pokemon world. I also like that the Ultra Sun entry deals with sunlight while the Ultra Moon entry addresses what Caribolt does during those long winter nights; it has nice symmetry.

Thanks for reading! I hope I did justice to Caribolt's phenomenal artwork and fun design!

Last edited:
Final Submission

Caribolt, the Electromagnet Pokemon

Sun: During the last ice age, Caribolt were found all over the world, but in the last hundred years they have had to migrate north to stay in cold climates.

Moon: Caribolt have a thin layer of velvet covering their antlers that helps to carry electricity. It is said that Caribolt antlers are soft to the touch.

Ultra Sun: Caribot is a common sight in the northern latitudes. Locals say that a herd of Caribolt running sounds like thunder rolling across the land.

Ultra Moon: Caribolt compete with each other every spring by firing electric blasts from their antlers. The Caribolt with the biggest antlers tends to be the alpha of the herd

I chose to focus on both the electric aspects of Caribolt and the Megaloceros it is based off of.
For the sun entry, I decided to stay close to a fellow ice age Pokemon, mammoswine, while also establishing its current habitat.
For the moon entry, I decided to do something interesting with the velvet (soft covering on the antlers if deer that falls off before the rut) and had it help with carrying electricity, kinda like how carpets can hold static electricity.
For ultra sun, I referenced the large size of modern elk and caribou herds. I specifically remember seeing a large elk herd when I was backpacking in New Mexico, and the earth shaking sound that they made when running inspired me to connect the sound of Caribolt running to that of rolling thunder.
For ultra moon, I decided to talk about Caribolt fights, as all big deer lock antlers at one time or the other. I decided that sparring with electricity would both make sense with the galvanized antlers and also not really hurt the Caribolt, as they 4x resist electricity. It would only make sense that the bigger the antlers, the stronger the blast, so the biggest antlers should be the strongest Caribolt, and then the leader of the herd.

Final Submission

Caribolt, the Charging Pokémon

Sun: Caribolt are able to generate electricity by galloping. When they store too much electricity, they discharge from their antlers with a loud bang.

Moon: Whenever many Caribolt gather at night, the resulting magnetic charge makes small, glowing particles appear. From far away, this looks like a starry sky.

Ultra Sun: Caribolt can cause a lot of sound disturbance whenever they discharge electricity. To prevent this, trainers should let their Caribolt battle frequently.

Ultra Moon: It is said that Caribolt are able to levitate using magnetism. However, nobody has ever been able to confirm this.

Final Submission

Caribolt, the Light Pokémon

Sun: Caribolt are often associated with the holiday season due to one famous Caribolt that allegedly pulled a sleigh with presents around the world in a single night.

Moon: Caribolt's antlers shine like a flashlight, making them superb at search-and-rescue.

Ultra Sun: Caribolt are patient and loyal, making them an excellent choice for novice Trainers. They store a lot of electricity in their horns, so caution is still advised.

Ultra Moon: Caribolt are able to run over 150 mph, allowing them to evade predatory Pokémon like Lycanroc and Ursaring. Their horns give them away, however, so trying to hide is unfortunately useless.

Sun :For the Sun Pokedex entry I mainly based it on Rudolf, the Red-Nosed Reindeer, obviously.

Moon: For Moon I wanted to exemplify how bright its horns shine as well as a practical use for them.

Ultra Sun: Ultra Sun made the connection to Caribolt as a starter while still emphasizing the horns.

Ultra Moon: And finally, Ultra Moon. I decided to explain how Caribolt hasn't been wiped out yet (as well as its high Speed stat) by giving it a method of evading predation, although again, I emphasized how the horns are a liability due to their shininess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)