CAP 25 - Part 3 - Concept Assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took some time to think about the main typing I find interesting which is fire. its the only one which i seem to disagree with the fairly arbitrary general consensus. i included some examples from ou and cap as successful fire types and some examples from ubers as overly successful fire types and heres my thoughts:

fire types are viable when:

1. they hold an incredibly important defensive niche- see heatran, ho-oh, primal groudon, pyroak

2. they are able to offer a level of offense that is incredibly hard/impossible to fully deal with- see heatran, volcarona, primal groudon, ho-oh, blaziken, volkraken, blacephalon, victini

Defensive Niche:
the key to the defensive utility of fire types is that fire has a nice set of resistances that can mesh very well with certain typings and achieve defensive combinations that are otherwise impossible. fire types hold the rare ability to check offensive fairies while usually resisting/ignoring their coverage- such as jumbao/tapu koko for pyroak, tapu lele/clef for heatran, xerneas for primal groudon in ubers- it can also be seen last generation with specially defensive talonflame which was geared to deal with mega altaria and clefables, amongst other stuff. a near-essential element of the defensive fire type is having a way to not be destroyed by stealth rock. heatran and primal groudon deal with it with their secondary typings, and ho-oh deals with it with regenerator. SR is a huge detriment to pyroaks viability.

in addition to their usually specially defensive strength, these fire types will also often be able to burn any physical switchins, making them apply heavy pressure to the special attacker in front of them.

Offensive Power:
the key to offensive value in the fire type is interesting. fire is an amazing offensive type just like ice, and just like ice its not essential to use a fire type to reap the benefits. fire coverage is readily available for many non-fire types and usually attached to a pokemon with less defensive issues. whats more, hidden power is often enough to threaten key pokemon in the metagame with 4x weaknesses to fire like ferrothorn, who can wear down fire types by forcing them to switch through hazards and leech seed damage- or mega scizor who can u-turn and also force fire types through hazards multiple times.
the fire types that find success in OU and above are the ones that offer so much offensive presence that they can end the game, either by sweeping or breaking the opponent's defensive backbone, without needing to switch around. victini and volcarona are examples of offensive fire types that close out the match, with the sum of their sets being impossible to deal with by one single check, and require scouting or luck to deal with. blaziken was able to break through OU and get banned to ubers thanks to its crazy strong stab combo and super speed tier after a turn or two. heatran and volkraken, and similarly primal groudon/ho-oh in ubers have very straight forward sets that dont require much scouting, but even still are very pressuring due to sheer offensive presence.

Crossover/Conclusion:
there is a heavy crossover between these two roles when it comes to successful fire types. primal groudon, ho-oh, and heatran are all huge offensive threats and have key defensive utility. i also think that the offensive element of fire types comes more with the territory and the focus should be on getting that key defensive utility from our fire type. there's a lot of relevant roles that fire types could pick up defensively right now with annoying fire, grass, bug, and fairy types in the tier, and whats more, just as personal preference i think its a more friendly addition to the metagame to not create another pokemon that over-specializes in offence to the level that a successful fire type requires, since they often create a "if you dont have a STRONG check, you lose" situation which already exists way too much in cap for my liking.
You might also notice that when it comes to offensive and defensive fire types, its the mons with defensive utility that create the most interesting interaction with their abilities. Heatran, Primal Groudon, Ho-oh all create unique and complex interactions defensively and offensively with their abilities, and all of them benefit in multiple ways: negating some of their weaknesses while also boosting them offensively. On the other side, Victini, Volcarona, Blaziken and Blacephalon have incredibly flat interaction with their abilities- hit hard, get fast, win the game. Volcarona doesnt even make any attempt to utilise its defensive ability in Flame Body, even if its the ability of choice.

Also when it comes to having move/ability synergy, its not always about using stab moves, so perhaps its a bad idea to focus on the small number of "defensive" or utility moves that are Fire type. Hopefully what i wrote above will convince you the importance of the secondary typing for a successful fire type also, so a lot of viability will come from moves from that typing also.
When we discuss the typing we should maybe just be thinking about the defensive benefit vs offensive payoff of STAB, and whether we want to make success linked to typing or despite typing. For instance for grass it might be better to make something successful despite typing if we dont want to go with the standout grass typing of Grass/Steel.

Last edited:

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My only counterpoint to Pipotchi is that his cited examples of good defensive Fire types have not less than 65 more Base Stat points to play around with than our starters. Heatran has Swampert level defenses, is faster than Mega-Scizor, and can burn holes through opponents with 130 SpA. The defensive fire model just doesn't work for starters, and even though Mollux has the same BST as starters, it also dumpstats Attack. If Mollux had to take 15 out of something else just to get to 60 Atk, it wouldn't function as well as it does. Pyroak is close and could probably sacrifice 5 somewhere, but it works mostly because Fire/Grass just hits that sweet spot. You might get away with a Fire/Steel Pyroak-like mon, but why would you use it over Heatran?

Starters have a lot of good, inherent limitations. They are legitimately stronger thana lot of Pokemon, but usually those Pokemon have dumpstats and in Ferrothorn's case, abyssmal speed is actually beneficial.

Last edited:
To comment on Deck Knight's counter, I think Pipotchi meant that Fire type has some natural defensive potential. And while a defensive Fire type may seem difficult to make given our current restraints, perhaps we invest enough in defensive potential to allow 25f to better check those it should naturally check due to its typing while still making it offensive in nature. 25f should be able to switch into things like Jumbao, Volcarona, Kartana, Mega Scizor and Mega Mawile with relative ease.

Fire typing still has defensive merit and we should make 25f to utilize it to some extent, whether it be defensive or offensive in its primary usage. In my opinion, if we go offensive due to Fire's natural offensive nature, we should have enough defense to check what it should naturally check.

My only counterpoint to Pipotchi is that his cited examples of good defensive Fire types have not less than 65 more Base Stat points to play around with than our starters. Heatran has Swampert level defenses, is faster than Mega-Scizor, and can burn holes through opponents with 130 SpA. The defensive fire model just doesn't work for starters, and even though Mollux has the same BST as starters, it also dumpstats Attack. If Mollux had to take 15 out of something else just to get to 60 Atk, it wouldn't function as well as it does. Pyroak is close and could probably sacrifice 5 somewhere, but it works mostly because Fire/Grass just hits that sweet spot. You might get away with a Fire/Steel Pyroak-like mon, but why would you use it over Heatran?

Starters have a lot of good, inherent limitations. They are legitimately stronger thana lot of Pokemon, but usually those Pokemon have dumpstats and in Ferrothorn's case, abyssmal speed is actually beneficial.
But talonflame can exist in XY as a specially defensive pokemon with under 500 BST. you could trim that even further down since it has an unused spa stat of 74, much higher than our limit. Heatran has an unused 90 atk stat, and when you trim it down to a 570 its a lot closer to a mon that we can work with. Would heatran still work with its stats being 84/56/99/123/99/75 (= 535 BST)? Hell yea, and it'd still be top tier OU imo (assuming regular 600 BST heatran didnt exist). Maybe those shaved stats would help it land in A or A- rather than the uppermost tier also.
Alowak also saw some play in the start of SM with lightningrod and even leftovers because it hit such a nice defensive niche of stopping every electric type, and that was with a miserable 425 BST- Im sure that if you added 100 BST to alowak and took away its ability to run thick club you could have a fantastic fire type which retains that amazing electric-stopping niche + great offensive presence and would be playable today (imagine stats as something like 80/120/110/60/80/95 for instance)

And I dont think we should shy away from trying to hit the sweet spot defensively with a fire type cus thats something thats going to add complexity to the discussion and final result- it doesnt need to be a purely defensive fire type, I just think it should try and tackle having defensive purpose cus it'll lead to better ability-related discussion and a better pokemon for the metagame. The "better pokemon for the metagame" part is purely my personal preference tho

Last edited:

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Let's start defining the scope of the abilities that are available to us! Excluding the abilities which are banned from primary ability discussion and those that are considered flavor abilities, which abilities are not eligible to be chosen under this concept?

Keep in mind that for an ability to be eligible, it must be able to coordinate with the Pokemon's movepool, using the following definition of coordinate:

"An ability that coordinates with the movepool that has one or more moves that are significantly impacted by the ability to change that Pokemon's match-ups at some point in the game"

This post will be updated as we go with a list of abilities that are considered ineligible.

Dry Skin
Flash Fire
Sap Sipper
Lightning Rod
Motor Drive
Storm Drain
Volt Absorb
Water Absorb
Guts
Flare Boost
Toxic Boost
Bulletproof
Soundproof
Aftermath
Clear Body
Cute Charm
Damp
Dancer

Defeatist
Effect Spore
Filter
Fluffy
Forewarn
Heatproof
Hyper Cutter
Immunity
Innards Out
Inner Focus
Insomnia
Iron Barbs
Limber
Liquid Ooze
Magma Armor
Moxie
Mummy
Natural Cure
Overcoat
Poison Point
Rattled
Rough Skin
Sand Rush
Sand Veil
Shield Dust
Solid Rock
Static
Steadfast
Sticky Hold
Sweet Veil
Thick Fat
Unnerve
Vital Spirit
Weak Armor

Last edited:
By the definition of our concepts ability: "An ability that coordinates with the movepool that has one or more moves that are significantly impacted by the ability to change that Pokemon's match-ups at some point in the game" This means that the type immune abilities are ineligible since they do not interact with moves significantly. A list of these type immune abilities:

Dry Skin
Flash Fire
Sap Sipper
Lightning Rod
Motor Drive
Storm Drain
Volt Absorb
Water Absorb

Most of these abilities restore HP or boost a stat, so unless we consider Lightning Rod SpAtk boost coordinating with any and all special moves, I would say that all these abilities are ineligible due to not coordinating with specific moves. The only exception might be Flash Fire's interaction with Fire moves, but I personally think that is a stretch.

I know it's the opposite of what you asked but it might be useful anyway. Here's a list of abilities that directly affect the power or priority of specific moves. These should almost certainly not be considered ineligible: ( edit: that or they're most important ones to rule out )
Tough Claws
Refrigerate
Galvanize
Pixilate
Aerilate
Strong Jaw
Iron Fist
Reckless
Technician
Mega Launcher
Water Bubble
Sheer Force
Sand Force
Steelworker
Prankster
Gale Wings
Triage

I think some abilities that are borderline might be Guts, Flare Boost, and Toxic Boost. Technically, these abilities change the pokemon's stat, rather than the move power, but that might be a pedantic interpretation of the criteria. Being "impacted by the ability to change the pokemon's matchups at some point during the game" could be interpreted to apply to an attack boost simply because it could change whether that move accomplishes what you need it to upon hitting. I still think these should be ineligible, if not by technicality then because the spectrum of moves they apply to is so broad that it would hardly be interesting. I could see there being debate, though. It could be argued that they affect the move Facade.

Analytic and Stakeout are in a similar boat. They power up every single attacking move. Even if they might work by technicality, there wouldn't be anything to choosing which moves best fulfill the concept, in my opinion. It would be more about how these abilities work with the stats. Still, I could see the argument that they would affect U-turn, Volt Switch, and Assurance, although it's a more abstract synergy. Come to think of it, Analytic could be said to affect pHazing moves like Dragon Tail and moves that power up if you took damage like Avalanche. Maybe it deserves more consideration.

Last edited:

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I would argue that the Type -Hit -> Stat Boost Coordinate with Stored Power /Power Trip, but that is a fairly tenuous connection as +1 on those moves only boosts their BP by 20.

On that note, I went though all the abilities and made a list of every even tangential move link.

First, a list of abilities that are inelligible because they can't significantly impact any one move:

Ineligible List:
Aftermath : No Move Interactions
Anger Point : No Move Interactions
Anticipation : No Move Interactions
Aroma Veil : No Move Interactions
Battery : No Move Interactions
Battle Armor : No Move Interactions
Beast Boost : No Move Interactions
Big Pecks : No Move Interactions
Bulletproof : No Move Interactions
Chlorophyll : No Move Interactions
Clear Body : No Move Interactions
Color Change : No Move Interactions
Comatose : No Move Interactions
Cursed Body : No Move Interactions
Cute Charm : No Move Interactions
Damp : No Move Interactions
Dancer : No Move Interactions
Dazzling : No Move Interactions
Defeatist : No Move Interactions
Effect Spore : No Move Interactions
Filter : No Move Interactions
Flame Body : No Move Interactions
Flower Veil : No Move Interactions
Fluffy : No Move Interactions
Forewarn : No Move Interactions
Gooey : No Move Interactions
Heatproof : No Move Interactions
Heavy Metal : No Move Interactions
Honey Gather : No Move Interactions
Hyper Cutter : No Move Interactions
Illusion : No Move Interactions
Immunity : No Move Interactions
Imposter : No Move Interactions
Innards Out : No Move Interactions
Inner Focus : No Move Interactions
Insomnia : No Move Interactions
Intimidate : No Move Interactions
Iron Barbs : No Move Interactions
Keen Eye : No Move Interactions
Leaf Guard : No Move Interactions
Levitate : No Move Interactions
Light Metal : No Move Interactions
Limber : No Move Interactions
Liquid Ooze : No Move Interactions
Magic Bounce : No Move Interactions
Magician : No Move Interactions
Magma Armor : No Move Interactions
Moxie : No Move Interactions
Mummy : No Move Interactions
Natural Cure : No Move Interactions
Oblivious : No Move Interactions
Overcoat : No Move Interactions
Pickpocket : No Move Interactions
Poison Point : No Move Interactions
Queenly Majesty : No Move Interactions
Rattled : No Move Interactions
Rough Skin : No Move Interactions
Sand Rush : No Move Interactions
Sand Veil : No Move Interactions
Shell Armor : No Move Interactions
Shield Dust : No Move Interactions
Slush Rush : No Move Interactions
Snow Cloak : No Move Interactions
Solid Rock : No Move Interactions
Speed Boost : No Move Interactions
Stakeout : No Move Interactions
Static : No Move Interactions
Steadfast : No Move Interactions
Sticky Hold : No Move Interactions
Sturdy : No Move Interactions
Suction Cups : No Move Interactions
Sweet Veil : No Move Interactions
Swift Swim : No Move Interactions
Synchronize : No Move Interactions
Tangling Hair : No Move Interactions
Thick Fat : No Move Interactions
Trace : No Move Interactions
Truant : No Move Interactions
Unaware : No Move Interactions
Unnerve : No Move Interactions
Vital Spirit : No Move Interactions
Volt Absorb : No Move Interactions
Water Absorb : No Move Interactions
Water Veil : No Move Interactions
Weak Armor : No Move Interactions
White Smoke : No Move Interactions
Wonder Skin : No Move Interactions

Eligible Lists:
Next, a list of straight up booster abilities that most people have been thinking / talking about:
Adaptability : Boosts STAB Moves
Aerilate : Boosts Flying Attacks
Analytic : Boosts Move Damage
Cloud Nine : Boosts Weather-Based Recovery / Defense
Compound Eyes : Boosts Accuracy of high-power, low acc moves
Contrary : Boosts Self Stat-Down / Nerfs Stat-Up Moves
Drizzle : Boosts Water and other moves, weakens Fire
Drought : Boosts Fire moves, weakens Water and other moves
Flash Fire : Boosts Fire moves when hit with Fire
Gale Wings : Boosts Flying Attacks
Galvanize : Boosts Electric Attacks
Hustle : Boosts Physical Moves
Infiltrator : Boosts All Attacks by Ignoring Substitute
Iron Fist : Boosts Punching Moves
Magic Guard : Boosts Recoil Moves, Life Orb Attacks by nullifying recol
Mega Launcher : Boosts "Pulse" Move
Mold Breaker : Boosts Moves and Effects by Breaking Through Ability Immunities
Multiscale : Boosts Recovery Moves by increasing Defense at full health.
No Guard : Boosts Low Acc moves into viability
Normalize : Boosts Normal Attacks and makes all attacks Normal-Type
Pixilate : Boosts Fairy Attacks
Prankster : Boosts Priority of Status Moves
Reckless : Boosts Recoil Moves
Refrigerate : Boosts Ice Attacks
Rivalry : Boosts Damaging Attacks, Attract, Captivate
Rock Head : Boosts Recoil Moves
Sand Force : Boosts Ground/Rock/Steel Moves in Sand
Serene Grace : Boosts Secondary Effect chances to double
Sheer Force : Boosts moves with Secondary Effects, removes those effects
Simple : Boosts Stat-Boosts / Drops by doubling
Skill Link : Boosts Multi-Hit Attacks
Sniper : Boosts Focus Energy, High-Crit Moves
Solar Power : Boosts Special Attacks in Sun
Steelworker : Boosts Steel Attacks
Strong Jaw : Boosts "Fang" Moves
Super Luck : Boosts Focus Energy, High-Crit Moves
Swarm : Boosts Bug Moves at low health
Technician : Boosts Low-Powered moves like Priotity and Multi-Hit
Tinted Lens : Boosts Attacks by Nullifying one level of Attack Resistance
Tough Claws : Boosts Contact Attacks
Triage : Boosts Prority of Recovery / Draining Physical, Special, and Status moves

Misc. Eligible Abilities:
These next Eligible Abilities have at least a tenuous connection with at least one move.
Berserk : Recovery Moves allow effect to be accessed multiple times.
Cheek Pouch : Substitute, Recycle
Competitive : Stored Power / Power Trip
Corrosion : Toxic, Venoshock, Hex, Venom Drench
Defiant : Stored Power / Power Trip
Download : Stored Power / Power Trip
Dry Skin : Rain Dance adds healing
Early Bird : Faster Rest
Emergency Exit : Recovery Moves allow effect to be accessed multiple times.
Flare Boost : Psycho Shift
Frisk : Trick / Switcheroo
Gluttony : Substitute, Recycle
Grass Pelt : Grassy Terrain
Guts : Façade, Psycho Shift
Harvest : Sunny Day improves activation rate, Stored Power / Power Trip
Hydration : Rain Dance and Rest
Ice Body : Hail
Justified : Stored Power / Power Trip
Klutz : Trick / Switcheroo
Lightning Rod : Stored Power / Power Trip
Liquid Voice : Sound Moves become Water-Type
Long Reach : Contact Moves become - Non-Contact
Magnet Pull : Benefits Moves Super-Effective against Steel
Marvel Scale : Façade, Psycho Shift
Merciless : Toxic, Venoshock, Hex
Motor Drive : Stored Power / Power Trip
Own Tempo : Thrash / Outrage / Petal Dance no confusion
Poison Heal : Additional Healing allows more Recoil Moves, Sub/Protect combo
Poison Touch : Adds Poison Status to Attacks
Pressure : Allows Recovery Moves to stall out opposing attacks more quickly
Protean : Changes type to match Attack used
Quick Feet : Façade, Psycho Shift, flinch moves
Rain Dish : Rain Dance adds healing
Regenerator : Additional Healing allows more Recoil Moves
Sand Stream : Weakens Hurricane/Thunder/Solar Beam, gives Weather Ball Rock type.
Sap Sipper : Stored Power / Power Trip
Scrappy : Normal and Fighting Attacks ignore Ghost immunity
Shed Skin : Rest
Snow Warning : Weakens Solar Beam, gives Blizzard perfect accuracy
Soundproof : Immune to it's own Perish Song / Heal Bell
Stall : Allows Metal Burst to always go last.
Stamina : Stored Power / Power Trip
Stench : Adds flinch to all damaging attacks
Storm Drain : Stored Power / Power Trip
Surge Surfer : Electric Terrain
Tangled Feet : Thrash / Outrage / Petal Dance add evasion after use
Toxic Boost : Façade
Unburden : Fling
Water Compaction : Stored Power / Power Trip
Wimp Out : Recovery Moves allow effect to be accessed multiple times.

Obviously if you want to dispute it or say some boosts are too tangential to be viable, please do so. We were asked to identify ineligible abilities, after all.

Last edited:

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Excluding the abilities which are banned from primary ability discussion and those that are considered flavor abilities, which abilities are not eligible to be chosen under this concept?

I agree with gibygiby's list of type-immunity abilities, since they do not coordinate well with CAP's movepools and instead coordinate better with the typing, which would be off-concept. Similarly, I believe Bulletproof and Soundproof are off concept, as they have no link to any move in a CAP's movepool, hence making them ineligible for the current concept.

Water Bubble
Water Bubble is already primary banned, so its not gonna get in discussion.

I think that Shell Armor and Battle Armor are quite ineligible for this concept, as they do not influence any moves in the arsenal, and have generally little usage besides just blocking crits. I also think that while they could be argued to work with Hex, status contact abilites in line with Flame Body, Poision Point, and Static are too unreliable to sufficiently activate in battle, and can be replicated with Toxic / Hex quite easily without having to rely on hax. Cursed Body I think has no argument for legality, since it just disables moves and has seemingly no interaction with moves.

From Deck's list, I would like to dispute several considered-ineligible abilities.

For one, there are "when I get hit" (like Cursed Body or Stamina), "when I die" (like Aftermath) and "on contact" (like Flame body, but also like Rough Skin and even Pickpocket). While I agree it's too weak of a connection, it should be noted that they are coordinated with Taunt to force chance of their proc while removing utility options from your opponent. Of those, only Stamina makes actual sense to keep eligible, mostly because it is also coordinated with Stored Power/Power Trip and with Recovery moves that force opponent proc it more times by outhealing opponent. I can actually see this possible in case we get to build some def/utility 'mon.

Than, there is Beast Boost/Moxie. Especially Moxie is very one-dimensional, but they do have quite a significant move interaction. Whoever used to use things like Z-Bounce Moxie Gyarados, Z-Fly Moxiemence or basically any Magearna (because Soul-Heart behaves similarly), as well as more offensive Ultra Beasts, should now probably see my point. These "when I kill" Abilities are well coordinated with significant nukes. Those nukes can take form mostly of Z-moves in general, but also mitigating the effect of self-inflicted stat reductions (Overheat and friends). You can even argue for "lose a turn" moves (such as Petal Blizzard) with some Beast Boost buffs (especially defensive) to mitigate their massive drawback. Such 'mons can use threat of said nuke to setup as well, although this goes to the tactics and might be stretching.

Finally, I'd consider Magician eligible due to the existence of moves that remove your own item. Using Fling and/or Natural Gift alongside Magician is hardly anything else than "coordinating movepool with ability". With also Trick/Switcheroo, we might get to see Item Shuffler as an option.

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
Working from Deck's "Nope" list, abilities which I think have connections that can definitely be used;

Chlorophyll : Directly interacts with 'Sunny Day'
Heavy Metal : Weight-Based Moves (Which all require more weight)
Magician : Fling
Natural Cure : Goes with Rest
Pickpocket : Fling
Sand Rush : Sandstorm
Sand Veil : Sandstorm
Slush Rush : Hail
Snow Cloak : Hail
Speed Boost : Electro Ball
Sturdy : Endeavor
Swift Swim : Rain Dance
Unaware : Synergises with Clear Smog / Haze

Working from Deck's "Nope" list, abilities which I think have connections that can definitely be used;

Chlorophyll : Directly interacts with 'Sunny Day'
Heavy Metal : Weight-Based Moves (Which all require more weight)
Magician : Fling
Natural Cure : Goes with Rest
Pickpocket : Fling
Sand Rush : Sandstorm
Sand Veil : Sandstorm
Slush Rush : Hail
Snow Cloak : Hail
Speed Boost : Electro Ball
Sturdy : Endeavor
Swift Swim : Rain Dance
Unaware : Synergises with Clear Smog / Haze
The counter to all those weather ones is that while they do fulfill the letter of the Concept, they are EXTREMELY unlikely to fulfill it in spirit. There are very few Pokemon in the OU meta that run Sandstorm, Sunny Day, Rain Dance, or Hail, because we have enough powerful auto-setters (Jumbao and Mega-CharizardY for Sun, Tyranitar for sand, Alolan Ninetales for Hail, Pelipper for Rain). While I have no doubt we could make a competitive Pokemon with a weather ability, I do think we will miss the mark on our concept to do so. I'd feel better having them on the ineligible list since in practice, they are never going to acutally coordinate with a movepool - they are going to coordinate with a team.

The rest I agree; I think when we actually get to ability stage we'll likely find that Speed Boost (and a few others not mentioned like Adapability and Contrary) are too powerful to keep around while others are too gimmicky and weak, but I do think they theoretically can fulfill the concept.

I think Deck Knight's list is too strict in terms of the type of synergy that counts as a connection, while also being too broad within that type. Here's some concrete examples of what I mean, first of abilities that should be eligible, and second of those that shouldn't.
  • Moxie and Beast Boost synergize with priority and pursuit and overheat/leaf storm/draco meteor, which all are useful at specifically doing damage that KOs.
  • Innards Out has a strong synergy with recovery, because it wants to be KOd from high HP, which chip damage can prevent, and recovery undoes the chip damage. It also synergizes with moves like Close Combat because it cares less about lowering defenses, and with moves with positive or negative priority.
  • Speed Boost has synergy with Electro Ball. It also synergizes with attack-boosting moves like Swords Dance or Nasty Plot.
  • Queenly Majesty and Suction Cups have synergy with set-up moves, because the former allows the set-up to not be revenge-killed by priority, and the latter prevents hazing.
On the other front:
  • Infiltrator and Solar Power and arguably Tinted Lens and Stench are a constant boost to all damaging attacks, so don't synergize with any moves. Hustle makes it through because it synergizes with no-miss moves.
  • Motor Drive, Sap Sipper, and Storm Drain aren't reliable enough to synergize with stored power.
  • Snow Warning only boosts Blizzard, and not by much. The primary power of the ability is not through coordination with the rest of the Pokemon's traits, but by coordination with teammates.
Most of the weather-abusing abilities do technically have a synergy with the moves that create those weathers, but the weak ones especially are iffy, because nobody's going to e.g. use Hail just to get some evasion from Snow Cloak.

Last edited:
  • Infiltrator and Solar Power and arguably Tinted Lens and Stench are a constant boost to all damaging attacks, so don't synergize with any moves. Hustle makes it through because it synergizes with no-miss moves.
Here I don't think so. Especially the case of Infiltrator is IMO eligible not because of support of damaging attack, but the other way around - as a way to get status moves through Sub, so it has quite a significant coordination especially with major status moves like Toxic, Will-o-Wisp and TWave/Glare.

Stench is IMO eligible as well because of it's synergy with multi-hit moves, just that interaction is rather uncompetitive and if I could, I'd rather refrain from centering a CAPmon around that.

EDIT: removed bad formatting

Snow Warning also boosts Aurora Veil, which is rather significant if it can be used with a decent defensive type like Water to mitigate weaknesses against things like Fire Type, while providing Autohit Bliz. A more offense, less Fat Lapras capable of setting up AVeil or smashing with a Blizzard, and typing coverage with Water and perhaps a Sludge Wave could be pretty naughty.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That's all for Concept Assessment! We have agreed to build CAP 25f as an primarily offensive Pokemon, CAP 25w as a primarily defensive Pokemon, and CAP 25g as a specialized Pokemon, with offensive or defensive focus taking a back seat in the face of the challenge of differentiation.

Here is our list of abilities that lie outside the scope of our concept.
Dry Skin
Flash Fire
Sap Sipper
Lightning Rod
Motor Drive
Storm Drain
Volt Absorb
Water Absorb
Guts
Flare Boost
Toxic Boost
Bulletproof
Soundproof
Aftermath
Clear Body
Cute Charm
Damp
Dancer
Defeatist
Effect Spore
Filter
Fluffy
Forewarn
Heatproof
Hyper Cutter
Immunity
Innards Out
Inner Focus
Insomnia
Iron Barbs
Limber
Liquid Ooze
Magma Armor
Moxie
Mummy
Natural Cure
Overcoat
Poison Point
Rattled
Rough Skin
Sand Rush
Sand Veil
Shield Dust
Solid Rock
Static
Steadfast
Sticky Hold
Sweet Veil
Thick Fat
Unnerve
Vital Spirit
Weak Armor

Our next step up will be the Typing Stage, led by our fearless Typing Leader, EpicUmbreon29!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)