CAP 27 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Submission

Magilisk

Magician + Basilisk

Pronounciation: MAJ-ILL-ISK

Basilisks are salamander-like creatures and this CAP is clearly based off that and its design looks very magical and spiritual

Last edited:
WIP

Celetherine

Slithering + Celestial + Catherine Wheel

Pronounced Sell-eth-er-ene

I'd originally had 'Pyroclasm' as a name concept, but that doesn't really fit the design :(. This however hopes puts across the snake like Dragon Form, the Starlike nature of its supports, and its Firework motifs, along with a vaguely feminine sounding name: Celestine, or Celeste unsurpringly is a name meaning heavenly.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
WIP (1/3):

Astralotl

Astral + axolotl

Pronounced: "as-tra-LOT-ul"
IPA: ˈæstɹəˌlɒtəl

Credit to Wahrer for thinking of the name first!

--

General thoughts on names:
  • Words based on pyrotechnics tend to use "hard" sounds, which I find hard to elegantly combine with other words in a fitting manner.
  • "Axolotl" is a clunky word to combine with other words, so caution must be used when using that word as inspiration.
  • I think it's fine to use space-themed words in a name (since fireworks are a night-time activity and space is classically thought of as divine or magical), but I'd be careful about referring to the moon specifically, as nothing about the design indicates a connection to the moon besides one of the inspirations.
The Crusade, there's more axolotl inspiration than you make it out to be, if you look at the full design breakdown. However, I totally understand if that's not clear and you think that design aspect should be understated. :) Even then, Pokemon names can and will reference aspects that aren't a primary inspiration. E.g., Salamence doesn't feel more salamander-y than any other reptile, and there's nothing German about Deino, Zweilous, and Hydreigon's design. I also think that axolotls aren't too obscure to be worth including in a name.

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
WIP

This is my second WIP, I'm thinking Dracosmic

Draconic + Cosmic.

Pronounced: Drah-coz-mick

Wanted to think about something more to do with its magic space energy.

-------

I thought I'd also like to get my third one out of the way too.

Glowicka

Glow + Wick + Wicca and rhymes with Flicker

Pronounced: Gloe-wih-kah

Another one that deals more with the magical side of things, and in comparison to the other ones, is more firey.

Last edited:

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
WIP [1 and 2]

Wanted to play around with 'Nitrogen' and 'Nitro' as root words a wee bit.

---

Nitrolotl

Nitro + Axolotl

Pronounced: Ni - trow - low - tull

.... one can't get too much closer to 'Fire Axolotl' really.

---

Nitrogenki

Nitrogen + Genki

Pronounced: Ni - tro - gen - kee

If I know my tropes, 'Genki Girl' is a very strong trait for magical girls!

---

It's sort of likely I'm not going to submit, but wanted to jot some ideas down all the same. Absolutely love Pyrouette and Astralotl at the moment!

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
WIP

Saramande

Sarabande (a dance) + Salamander

Sah-rah-MAN-duh

S/O to Wahrer, I'm kinda stealing his idea actually lol. EDIT: typo

---------------------------

WIP

Firewaltz

Fire + Fireworks + Walts

FA-yur-watts

To prove a point on how Fireworks can be used in a name, tho there are probably better ways to make it work.

WIP

Glisiren

Glisten + Siren

Pronounced: Glih - sigh - ren

Siren is both a type of salamander and a mythical beautiful singer, which both seem appropriate for CAP27. Glisten is to add a little more to it, and also evokes "glycerin", from the explosive nitroglycerin. (I totally wanted to go with "Nitroglisiren", but it's too long.)

---

And now some comments on names I liked.

WIP

Amfabulux

it’s comprised of Amphibious, fabulous and lux and is a pun on I’m fabulous
If you're going with Amphibious, I would suggest "Amphabulux" to make that etymology more clear. That said, I think there's too much going on in this name. The more straightforward "Amphabulous" keeps most of what you're going for. "Fabulux" is good too, but the -lux ending might be too close to Mollux.

Glamphibia

Another name thrown out while on Discord, celebrating CAP27's appearance and salamander inspirations - and its magical girl pose, really.
I'd suggest "Glamphibian" instead. It feels incomplete without that n.

Pyroette

Focus was on both what makes this a fire type (fireworks) and the design's magical girl grace (pirouette). The -ette wasn't intentional at first, but works well with the feminine design.
No suggestions, just wanted to say this is great. Would probably make a good name for the prevo, too, so keep it in your back pocket if you don't win.

Last edited:
WIP

Deflamay

Deflagrate (The scientific term for how fireworks explode) + Anime

Prounounced: Def-la-may

This gives me Sailor Moon type vibes, I changed the spelling so people didn't think it meant de-flame.

WIP

Glisiren

Glisten + Siren

Pronounced: Glih - sigh - ren

Siren is both a type of salamander and a mythical beautiful singer, which both seem appropriate for CAP27. Glisten is to add a little more to it, and also evokes "glycerin", from the explosive nitroglycerin. (I totally wanted to go with "Nitroglisiren", but it's too long.)
Takes away from the source word, but pronouncing it glih-sih-rin makes it sound a bit like glistening, which I think is pretty neat.

WIP (1/3)
Lytvolotl [`Lait vo lotl]
Name Origin: light + axolotl, also wyvern to represent it draconic type.

WIP (2/3)
Auromance [Au `ro ra mence]
Name Origin: Aurora + salamence, also romance because this will be your next waifu after Gardevoir and Hatterene?

WIP (3/3)
Moonjestail [Moon `jes tail]
Name Origin: Moon + Majestic + tail. The reason is base on it long tail design, additional by it antena/hair or something that look like 2 more tail.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
WIP (1/3)
Lytvolotl [`Lait vo lotl]
Name Origin: light + axolotl, also wyvern to represent it draconic type.

WIP (2/3)
Auromance [Au `ro ra mence]
Name Origin: Aurora + salamence, also romance because this will be your next waifu after Gardevoir and Hatterene?

WIP (3/3)
Moonjestail [Moon `jes tail]
Name Origin: Moon + Majestic + tail. The reason is base on it long tail design, additional by it antena/hair or something that look like 2 more tail.
I'd reccomend less syllables :/ these names are kinda hard to read and say. Auromance is good though :). Lytvolotl especially might need a change.

Last edited:

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Here are some names I like:
WIP

Pyroette

A combination of "Pyrotechnics / Pyro" + "Pirouette / -ette".

Pronounced: "PYRO-ette"

Focus was on both what makes this a fire type (fireworks) and the design's magical girl grace (pirouette). The -ette wasn't intentional at first, but works well with the feminine design.
This one is probably my favorite submission so far besides my own: a simple portmanteau with a natural and even graceful rhythm when spoken aloud, which fits the art design very well. It also conveys Fire-typing and fluidity of motion in a concise way without appearing cluttered by trying to do too much at once, and it avoids relying on obscure references to unlock its true meaning. Selfishly, I think this name could be a great prevo name for my submission and it’s making me consider changing the spelling to Pyronova just to match it (feedback welcome on this if anyone is interested in continuing the feedback stage of this thread), but otherwise this is a very strong submission.
WIP

Ascindra

From "ascend" (mainly from the art's pose), "cinder", and "dra" (a common name portion for both dragon Pokemon (e.g. Goodra, Dragalge) and dragon Digimon (e.g. Airdramon, Magnadramon))

Pronounced: ah-SIHN-drah

I thought this name rolled off the tongue reasonably well and pointed out that this mon is a fire dragon. I tried not to go as far into the "Cinderella" name angle as Cinderace does. As a bonus, that name ending sounds feminine.
This name is also very good for mostly the same reasons as Pyroette. It begins and ends on identical, deemphasized vowel sounds, making that middle syllable really pop, giving the entire name a fluid rhythm. It does clearly combine all of Fire-typing, Dragon-typing, and celestial themes, which is impressive, although it might still work as “Ascendra” because that middle syllable sounds a bit like the word “sin”, which I think doesn’t really match the art, and you potentially lose the “ascend” reference in the process, which would be a shame. You’ve already got typing covered with “-dra” suffix, so the “cinder” reference is imo extra and expendable for the sake of clarity. The name is great either way, though. Good submission.
WIP

Jubilisk

Jubilee (a fireworks celebration) + Basilisk (a dragon or lizard)

I think this name captures the joy and celebration of the pokemon with fireworks, and the design looks a lot like a basilisk lizard
This submission is creative and unique, and I can look at the art and see the name matching up organically. Great angle on the firework themes, joyous vibes, and Dragon typing, without being cluttered or overworked.
WIP

Axonova

A combination of "Axolotl" (the animal CAP 27 is based on) and "Supernova" (a spectacular explosion, fitting with the theme).

Pronounced: AKS-oh-NOH-va
IPA: ˌæksoʊˈnoʊvə or ˌæksəˈnoʊvə
This sub uses the “nova” reference, which I think is a great bit of imagery that brings together Fire-typing, celestial themes, and even mystical vibes all at once. This is imo the best and smoothest incorporation of the “axolotl” thing in the thread, although the reference is still a tad obscure if you ask me. The name works well without an intimate knowledge of endangered Mexican amphibians, though, which makes this submission stand out to me.

Quanyails
Well, you're certainly right about one thing. That hard "ī" in "skyrocket" is what's driving me nuts about my own WIP.

I'm behind you that we should exercise caution because I can see "Astralotl" working out, unlike the previous names of its kind.

MrPanda

not a bear
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
WIP

Glitterina

Glitter + Ballerina. Also, there's a pun with glycerin from nitroglycerin, a very unstable explosive substance used in TNT fabrication.

Pronounced: glitter-RIH-nah

Pyroette

A combination of "Pyrotechnics / Pyro" + "Pirouette / -ette".

Pronounced: "PYRO-ette"

Just wanted to say that this deserves to win 100%, pure genius.

WIP 2

Bakuhasai

Bakuhatsu (Japanese for explosion) + SuiSei (Japanese for aquatic)

Pronounced: Ba-coo-ha-say

Wanted a more Japanese based one here, and I think the tail can't be ignored for this name.

WIP #1

Glissper

Combines "Vesper", meaning "Evening star", with "Glissade", a ballet term for a gliding movement of the feet. Apparently glissade is also a fencing term for a disarming move of some sort. Swapping the two words around results in some other pretty names so I might change it up.

WIP #2

Delphia

Combines "Delphyne", a female dragon in Greek mythology who was slain at, you guessed it, Delphi, with "Hestia", goddess of the hearth and its fire. I found it fitting that she's a goddess that combines "support" in that her domain is largely domestic, with fire as her literal duty was keeping the fires of Mt. Olympus burning... Thinking of maybe lengthening it to incorporate more of the "phyne" part of the name, but *shrug*

WIP

Liurong

From Chinese liúxīng, "meteor", and róng, "salamander".

Pronounced: "LEE-yoo-Rong"

Since Chinese dragons were cited as one of the design inspirations for this thing, I decided to change my name suggestion into something more East Asian-inspired (which also might bring to mind Chinese giant salamanders, so there's still a connection there). The Chinese word for "star" is xīng, and liúxīng is technically "shooting star", so I simply substituted the second word to make "shooting salamander". Which is pretty much what this design is, what with the rocket bits and the like.

I've recently seen a lot of support for the name Pyroette in the thread and I just wanted to say that while I'm not entirely against the name I do think "Pyro-" is a bit of an easy route to take especially considering that Pyroar and CAP's own Pyroak already exist. That's a lot of the same root and I personally think that there are more interesting, creative and descriptive names out there. I think its an issue I have with most names that just reference "fire", yes, it is CAP27's type but we have such a unique set of inspirations for the design that we can get something more exciting!

Personally I am really in support of Astrolotl by Quanyails, and Galaxolotl by Birkal. I think "space" themed names are much more descriptive than generic fire themes, and capture the spirit of CAP27 significantly better. In addition I think that avoiding explicit references to the word "dragon" is wise, CAP27 may take inspiration from eastern dragons but I would say that it is less on the forefront than the Axolotl, Firework and Magical Girl themes and can be alluded to more creatively.

Just my two cents, keep up the good work everyone!

Zephyri

put on your headphones and burn my city
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
WIP

Frilluminate

Frill+Illuminate

Pronounced- fril-oom-in-ate (ate as in I ate breakfast today)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)