CAP 27 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Lacteatile

A combination of Latin word Via Lactea (Galaxy/Milky Way) + Reptile

Pronounced: "Lack+Tea+Ah+Tile"

i tried bloop

Final Submission

Maholotl

"Mahou" (Japanese for Magic) + "Axolotl"

Pronounced: MAH-ho-laa-tul

Mahou Shoujo Axolotl, your star CAP #27

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
Final Submission

Nitrogenki

A combination of "Nitroglycerin", an explosive chemical, and "Genki", from the trope of 'Genki Girl'.

Pronounced: Ni - Tro - Gen - Kee
IPA: ˈnaɪtɹəʊɡɛnki

Final Submission

Luxerola

A combination of "Lucertola" (Italian for lizard) and "Lux" (Latin for light), minus a "t" to make it sound softer. Also a name that leans toward femininity.

Pronounced: Lux-AIR-hola.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Final Submission

Jubilisk

A combination of Jubilee (a fireworks celebration) + Basilisk (a dragon or lizard)

Pronounced: JOO-buh-LISK
IPA: dʒubəlɪsk

I think this name captures the joy and celebration of the pokemon with fireworks, and the design looks a lot like a basilisk lizard.

Last edited:
Final Submission

Astelisk

A combination of aster (Greek root word for star) + basilisk. Also a play on the word asterisk.

Pronunciation: AS-tuh-lisk
IPA: /ˈæstəlɪsk/

A combination of aster (the Latin root word for star), referring to its shining and starry theme, and basilisk, since it is clearly reptilian (even if axolotls are amphibians!). The frills around its neck vaguely resemble the shape of an asterisk (*) to me, so this name is additionally a play on the word asterisk. Asterisks in grammar are used to draw attention to things; the flashy design of this Pokemon certainly draws one's attention.

Xiaoryu

Comes from “Xiaoyu” (a female character in Tekken) + “ryu” japanese word for dragon.

First, its “vest” or “dress” strongly reminds me Xiaoyu’s outfit in Tekken 7. Its shoulder design and the blaze coming down from its body resembles Xiaoyu’s feathery dress in Tekken. Also, its antenna or horns is like Xiaoyu’s signature pigtails. The Chinese-oriental theme of its design would suggest an Asian/Chinese name.

Lastly, I researched that xiao + ryu roughly translates to “little dragon” which I think suit in its design. Sorry for my English.

Last edited:
Final Submission

Ascindra

From "ascend" (art pose reference), "cinder", and "dra" (common name portion for both dragon Pokemon (e.g. Goodra, Dragalge) and dragon Digimon (e.g. Airdramon, Magnadramon))

Pronounced: "ah-SIHN-drah"

I thought this name rolled off the tongue reasonably well and pointed out that this mon is a fire dragon. I tried not to go as far into the "Cinderella" name angle as Cinderace does. As a bonus, that name ending sounds feminine.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Astrolotl

Astro- (prefix for stars and celestial bodies) + axolotl

Pronounced: "as-troh-LOT-ul"
IPA: ˈæs.tɹəˌlɒ.təl

Thanks to Gravity Monkey for suggesting the change of spelling! I think this spelling ties in the "axolotl" part of the name more tightly.

--

Other names I think flow nicely and sound elegant include Pyroette, Salamagica, Maholotl, Sparklotl, and Astelisk.

This is incorrect. The gradient is a lighting effect, but the stars are part of the actual design.
Just in response to this: yes, the gradient and the sparkles are different effects on the tail. :)

Final Submission

Azulong

From: Azure (Light Blue) + Lóng (Chinese for Dragon) / Long (CAP 27 has a long, slender physique)

Pronounced: AHZ-yur-long
IPA: /ˈæʒərlɒŋ/

Final Submission

Salastro

Salamander + Astro

Pronunciation: Suhl-ass-tro

I thought a unisex sounding species name might do well, considering it doesn't look male or female specifically, and one that would, obviously, convey that it's a salamander and looks rather astronomical in all ways intended; starry and looks like it's behavior is large and full of life.

Final Submission

Zircolotl

Zirconium + axolotl.

Pronounced: (zur-cuh-lot-ul)
IPA: zɜkʌlɐtl

Pulls on the deeper parts of the fireworks aspect. Zirconium is used in fireworks to give brighter flames (or explosions). I contemplated other metals here (Lithium and Strontium turn flames red. Even Copper, which turns flames blue) but decided that brighter flames suited better than colourful flames considering the magical girl aspect. Then axolotl because axolotl.

Final Submission

Axolomeda

Axolotl + Andromeda

Pronunciation: ak-suh-LAA-muh-duh

Axolotl is such an interesting word that says so much about the design. Andromeda references the femininity of the design, as well as the celestial/space/firework themes that are present as well.

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Final Submission

Quazarcoatl

Quasar (a space phenomenon that emits extreme amounts of energy and light) + axolotl, meant to have a similar spelling of Quetzalcoatl, the Mesoamerican serpent deity.

Pronounced: KWEI-zaar-CAA-tl

Last edited:

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Vedahlia

Veda (A text containing ancient knowledge) + Dahlia (a type of firework, an elegant [usually] female name)

Pronounced: Vey-dahl-yah

Final Submission

Salamoon

From "Salamander" and "Moon", also a play on the famous magical girl, Sailor Moon.

Pronounced: "Sa-la-MOON"
IPA: /'sæləˌmuːn/

The ‘salamander’ part references the amphibian nature of the design, while the moon is an integral part of the night sky, with night being the time to light fireworks.

Final Submission

Ryusillade

A combination of "Ryu” and “Fusillade.”

Pronounced: "Ree-yoo-suh-lahd”

Ryu is a Japanese term for dragons, and fusillade is a general explosion or discharge, such as a firework exploding, cannon firing, etc.

Final Submission

Salamagica

A combination of "Salamander" + "Magica".

Pronounced: "Sall-ah-magic-ah"

Simple portmanteau of salamander and magica/mágica which is a feminine noun in some European languages like Spanish, Italian and Portuguese meaning magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)