CAP 28 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

last minute, haven't had the best inspiration this cap.
based on the australian lobster scorpion, which has poisonous gas as potent as a third degree burn.
no real design justification, other than the smoke coming out of its head helping with neutralizing gas. it has two eyes which helps with compound eyes too. gave him a slender build and stabby legs for the offensive/speedy stats.

Final Submission

My design combines Chinese/Japanese dragons with the Lord Howe Island stick insect (LHISI), whose real-life story is the stuff of myths:

The giant was always extremely rare, endemic to only one small island (Lord Howe) off the coast of New Zealand, but it was wiped out by rats in 1920. For decades, the LHISI was thought to be extinct. But in the 60s, there were tales of possible survivors on an island in the clouds called Ball's Pyramid.

No, I'm not making this up. That's really what the island looks like.

In 2001, a team of rock climbers scaled this thing AT NIGHT, and found, miraculously, all that remained of the species living in ONE SHRUB on this one ridiculous island--just 24 individuals. Two years later, they eventually got a permit to catch four of them. Two died, and a third almost died, but eventually the one pair was bred successfully--there are now about 600 adults in captivity.

I felt the LHISI's backstory perfectly mirrors the "last dragon in the world" stories in so many myths and fantasy stories. I also thought the absurd height of their lone island made it fitting for the insect design to be crossed with a cloud dragon, justifying Neutralizing Gas.

The whiskers of the eastern dragon are the antennae.
The feet are based on the insect tarsus, each with two pairs of tarsomeres.
The end of the tail is a combination of the eastern dragon's tail fan and insect cersi, and is made of clouds.
The main tail is the abdomen, and is segmented rather than scaly.
The elongated fangs are remniscent of insect mandibles, and enable Leech Life.
The horn is modeled after the jousting structures of certain beetles and eastern dragon's anters, and enables Megahorn.
The eyes are insectoid, justifying Compound Eyes.
The many claws and teeth together justify the high Attack stat.
The affinity with clouds and the mystical basis of the eastern dragon justify the rather high Special Attack stat.
The cloud cloak justifies a decent if unspectacular Special Defense stat.
The physical vulnerability of stick insects (especially the LHISI) justifies the low defense.
The winding, serpentine movement of eastern dragons, on the mountain and through the clouds, justifies the solid speed.

"Somewhere in a faraway land stands a lone island in the clouds, where the very last of the insect dragons remain, awaiting a brave and spirited pokemon trainer--a trainer who understands the importance of maintaining balance in the world--that when the clouds roll in to enshroud you, and you are unable to exercise your strengths, this is part of the balance of life. The skies cannot always be clear, for some need fog to survive."

Last edited by a moderator:
Final Submission

The inspiration behind this design is a termite queen/dragon queen, with a little Marie Antoinette/mythical Echidna thrown in the mix. Her beehive hairdo is reminiscent of a queen termite's body, and like the Echnidna she is serpentine from the waist down. She's bent on ruling her colony with an iron fist (or 4), and definitely a mother you don't want to mess with!

Her wings and pheromone gas help create the illusion of a skirt to emphasize her queenliness, and take inspiration from termite fumigation tents.

Neutralizing Gas Justification:

Termite queens use pheromones to control reproduction in their colonies and if secondary queens are able/allowed to reproduce. I imagine once one of these pokemon becomes queen and gains control of the colony, she uses said pheromones to control her subjects and suppress any others from rising up.

As mentioned her winged skirt pattern takes inspiration from termite fumigation tents, which obviously have a termite 'neutralizing' gas involved. It doesn't seem to affect her though, so it seems this is one pest you can't control!

Compound Eyes Justification:

I think Nincada has set the precedent that being a bug with eyes is enough to justify having this ability. I don't think it hurts though that Nincada and this pokemon have a similar eye though~

Stats and Moves Justification:
I think her overall frail demeanor explains the relatively low HP and DEF, while the more mystical aspects of the design help justify a slightly higher SPD. Her four clawed arms and pointed tail give her her high ATK stat.

I think most expected moves can be justified by this design
Dragon Claw (has claws)
Dragon Tail
(has tail)
Dragon Hammer
(has a nice bulky hairdo from which to hammer with)
Mega Horn
(has crown/horn)
Bug Buzz
(pretty common bug move, but definitely has wings to rub together to do it)
Etc.

Sadly ran out of time/awakeness to draw any supplementary art ~~

Final Submission

Finally ready to submit the living bee smoker! That is also a bee? And a dragon?

Last edited:

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Final Submission
MAIN DESIGN

(Click thumbnail for higher res image exceeding 640x640 px)
This is my CAP 28 Design entry, based on the Xenomorph Queen.

SUPPORTING MATERIAL
I chose the Xenomorph Queen as basis because of its inherently perfect blend of Insectoid and Draconic features (segmented, multiple limbs, raptor-like bone structure, craggy exoskeleton, etc) and because the stats and abilities we have decided upon fits the lore shown in both movies and games.

I chose a warm grey as a base color to its whole body to emphasize the other striking features of this design, namely the face and the hind legs that emit a bluish mist.
Stats: 85 HP / 135 Atk / 60 Def / 115 SpA / 85 SpD / 89 Spe
This design meshes well with the Stat spread, with hefty 135/115/89 offenses reflecting the design's sharp and sleek silhouette and Xenomorphs' reputation of savagery in media. They also tend to have more resilience against the elements and harsh environments compared to weaponry, thus the slight bias on the specially defensive bulk.

Neutralizing Gas is quite fitting in Xenomorph lore, as their eggs, the Ovomorphs, have emitted a bluish mist shown in both movies and video games. They have been observed to cause radio interference, which pretty much justifies our main ability! I opted to include this feature onto the design's hind legs, with the iconic X-like opening of an ovomorph spewing out gas.

Compoundeyes is easily justified by the Xenomorph's canon film-like visor that conceals the eyes beneath. I chose to have the visor in my design house 6 glowing eyes supported with a pair of X-like appendages for added flair and to coincide with the ovomorph opening.
Supporting Art
A B C

(Click thumbnails for higher res images)
(A) Preliminary Sketch, (B) Settei Sheet, (C) Relative size

CLOSING REMARKS
Out of all my CAP submissions so far this is actually the first time where I started designing very late into the process (my 1st-day WIP doesn't count since I scrapped it). Also because I was distracted with drawing fanart for vtubers lololol Nevertheless, I'm glad I still finished this entry, and I enjoyed doing this design because I like the Predator-Alien franchise! I hope you like it too!

Final Submission

it is a double barrel camel spider shotgun/turret dragon

Supporting Material
nuetralizing gas is represented by gas pouring out of its mouths, like the exhaust/smoke after firing a gun
compound eyes is more conceptual, a gun having good accuracy (id also like to point out that most pokemon with the ability dont actually have compound eyes)

it has hyper offenses because it is a gun
it has above average speed because camel spiders are fast irl (9.9 mph!!!!)

bug buzz - horror stories tell of camel spiders screaming like banshees (they dont actually but i thought itd be cute to mention), albeit some pokemon that get this move cant actually buzz
megahorn - it has two bayonets jutting out under each of its "muzzles"
like, any special move - it is a gun

Last edited:
Final Submission

Thank you so much everyone on the discord who gave me phenomenal feedback and advice, made this design a huge step up from what it would have been otherwise. Also thanks for being so kind to me and welcoming!

Supporting Material
Design: As stated in my WIP, this design is basically me cannibalizing two of my older designs that were doing nothing, an incense stick stick bug and a dragon that could only breath smoke but not fire. The basis of the design is obviously a stick bug with draconic features that is burning itself as incense. Along the way I ended up having trouble figuring out how the gas/smoke should be, until I was doing some doodles that became supporting art that gave me a good shape to work with. The smoke is now supposed to look like bushes, to help the stick bug in it hide in trees, or rather as trees.

Original design inspirations While the dragon design was just what it was on the tin, the stick bug design had and still has a secondary basis on the fact that stick bugs can expel foul smelling spray like stink bugs.

Abilities: This should be easy enough, Neutralizing Gas is the incense smoke and Compound eyes is well represented in a yanma- like way.

Stats: I feel like my design suit them rather well, massive sharp legs to slice with for attack along side a decent size to fit the unremarkable hp. Snapping a twig is a good comparison which obviously shows this stat spread's glaring weakness in defense.

Supporting Art
Funnily enough, I did all this supporting art before I ever did the final submission, it helped give me a pose to use, rather a personality to give it.

Trees!: As a stick bug, it loves trees. To eat them, climb in them, to live on them; but they do need to find the right tree.
https://m.imgur.com/a/gZJXv0o

Roadblockiness: What is a better road block than one of those stupid little bushes known as cut trees. They require trainers to teach their pokemon the awful move cut to get by. Fun fact, none of the following pokemon can learn Cut: Slowbro, Slowking, Blissey, Toxapex, and Zeraora, they will forever be blocked by this "Tree".
https://m.imgur.com/a/hiPzIEq

The Best* Incense: While its atmosphere creating incense is unmatched, there are many strings attached. Yoga studios love the relaxing nature of its incense, but its nature to blend in with its environment tends to cause a lot of trouble.
https://m.imgur.com/a/7FawUie
This incense also let's it into very important places of significance, which can include rituals, places of worship, and even funerals. Also may have (t)issues.
https://m.imgur.com/a/0duMplf

Final Submission
https://imgur.com/a/u14qSfa
This is my first time making a pokemon for CAP.

Design:
It's a fusion between a few bugs and insects. It's head and upper body are based of mosquitoes and it's mouth is where the neutralizing gas comes from. I took some inspiration from plague doctors' masks for it's mouth. It's hands are based of praying mantis' and I took some inspiration from scyther too. It's lower body is based up of cockroaches and it can use those wings (and it's upper wings too) to fly

Abilities:
I think both of them suit it.

I don't think this will be voted but I tried my best!

Final Submission

Ngl, i just ran out of time, but here is one huge Millipede waiting for ya :3
Based on the Thailand's Red Dragon Millipede, this ginormous beast get inspiration from all other different creatures and objects, Including Velvet worm and the gas tube in induatrial area. Also, some emoji face as the Imtimidating nature of the dragony >:3

Imgur links: http://imgur.com/a/lYfiyA2

Last edited:

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Final Submission

No time for any long explanations, but it's a Steampunk Dragonfly!

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
And that's a wrap!

Disqualifications:
  • SunMYSER: Image is attachment, not fully on canvas.
  • greenandgrey77: Image not included in image tags in final submission post, missing outlines.
Everyone else who has made a Final Submission goes to art poll 1! Good luck to everyone who's made it thus far!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)