CAP 28 - Part 11 - Shiny Palette Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
This stage is considered part of the 2.0 release, so shinies will not be live on PS! in time for the playtest tournament!

-----

CAP 28 So Far

-----

Shiny Palette Rules
  • Shiny palettes must be submitted as palette swaps of the winning sprite entry. No other modifications to the image may be made.
  • Colors in a shiny palette must have the same relative hue and brightness compared to the corresponding color on the original sprite.
      • Acceptable:
        • Light blue -> light red
        • Dark blue -> dark red
      • Acceptable:
        • Light blue -> white
        • Dark blue -> gray
      • Acceptable:
        • Light blue -> gray
        • Dark blue -> black
      • Unacceptable:
        • Light blue -> dark green
        • Dark blue -> light green
      • Unacceptable:
        • Light blue -> light red
        • Dark blue -> dark green
      [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
  • Images must be in PNG format.
No more than three WIP shiny palettes can be posted by any individual person through the entire course of the submission thread.

Final Submission Post

All artists must make a final submission post conforming to the shiny palette rules (listed above) and the following:
  • The post must have "Final Submission" (in bold) as the first line, with the sprites at the top, and any additional description or comments (if applicable) below them.
  • The final submission image must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as Smogon forums or Imgur). Do not use the 'Attach a photo' tool on messaging apps (e.g. Discord). Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.
  • Only make one (1) final submission post.
Sprites:

This thread will be open for 72 hours.

Final Submission

The idea was to go for a color scheme that helps bring out its dragon type out more. Purples, blues, and reds were the best colors I came up with.

Last edited:
Final Submission
shinyCap.png

Went for an ice or deep-sea dragon vibe. I really like how blue-and-red insects look, too, which was a secondary inspiration.

Final Submission

That said... I'm a bit confused. It might be a compression thing, but I'm coming up with 18 colors in the original image. I thought the limit was 16?

Zephyri

put on your headphones and burn my city
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
That said... I'm a bit confused. It might be a compression thing, but I'm coming up with 18 colors in the original image. I thought the limit was 16?
I'm pretty sure 16's only a soft limit, if i'm not wrong there have been pokemon in the past who have more than 16 colors on their sprite

Shadowshocker

It shall rest here in peace. Forever, if you wish.
is a Top Artistis a Smogon Media Contributor
Final Submission

So I got off my lazy bum since I had Photoshop open at the time and messed with some hue/saturation sliders. The armour for CAP28's final art reminds me vaguely of Japanese tokusatsu, so I went for a "red ranger" to complement the "green ranger" original. I also imagine the shiny version as a sort of slightly sinister, slightly villainous counterpart (think of the Dark Hawlucha that appeared in one episode of the anime) so the vibrancy of his colours here is toned down a little and slight desaturated. Same for the fog, which I imagine him wafting onto the battlefield to silently surround his victims before pouncing. This was more fun than I expected, really!

Slapperfish

Banned deucer.
Final Submission

Mainly based this one off my CAP28 sub, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit that it's also closer to actual bombardier beetle colors.

Last edited:
WIP

CAP 28 Shiny WIP.png

The idea was to give it a reddish color similar to the false bombardier beetle. I didn't change the colors of the claws that much because, I couldn't really find any other colors that blended well with the red.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Final Submission

Just always have a soft spot for black-bodied shinies.

Final Submission

Heres mine, I picked colors similar to a bombadier beetle and with some whiter smoke like gweezings :d i just like the colors of gold and jade together in general tho

Last edited:
WIP (1/3)

CAP28 Shiny Palette-1.png.png

I went for a steampunk kind of vibe here, making use of some copper, bronze and leathery tones. It made sense to me that the shiny variant of CAP28 expelled the same substances, and thus the same colour gas as the regular variant (though Koffing/Kantonian Weezing don't, hmm), and the colour fits well with the oranges and browns used in the rest of the design.

WIP (2/3)

CAP28 Shiny Palette-3.png.png

Same thing here but with purple gas/eyes. Steampunk goggles are often depicted with tinted glass and purple is a nice tone that also fits with the rest of the colours.

Let me know what you guys prefer because I honestly don't know lol

Wulfanator

Clefable's wish came true!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

I absolutely adored the color palette used in Quany's design for CAP 28. With her permission, I used it to create this shiny.

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
WIP
sprite2.png

Compound Eyes is our Secondary Ability, and Shinies are just secondary colors. So I used compound colors as the base for the palette swap, leaving only the main body the same since it's already a good color, kept getting worse when I tried using the filter, and I like shinies that retain some aspects of their original form. The use of purple is also a nice homage to base Weezing (since the original's green resembles G-Weezing more).
The colors aren't too dark right? I can fix it pretty easily if that's the case.

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
WIP (1/3)

WIP (2/3)

I liked the idea of going red and orange since they complement the green and blue fairly well, though I'm not 100% sure about whether I prefer green smoke or yellow! I think keeping it green is more accurate to the way that Sword and shield does shinies with only one or two colour differences.

WIP (1/3)

View attachment 282649

I went for a steampunk kind of vibe here, making use of some copper, bronze and leathery tones. It made sense to me that the shiny variant of CAP28 expelled the same substances, and thus the same colour gas as the regular variant (though Koffing/Kantonian Weezing don't, hmm), and the colour fits well with the oranges and browns used in the rest of the design.

WIP (2/3)

View attachment 282651

Same thing here but with purple gas/eyes. Steampunk goggles are often depicted with tinted glass and purple is a nice tone that also fits with the rest of the colours.

Let me know what you guys prefer because I honestly don't know lol
Definitely the green smoke. Green complements orange pretty decently.

Magic Mayhem Maiden

formerly CorruptionInTheGovernment
WIP (1/3)
Temporary File1.png

Messed Around with colors, kinda went to show Fighting/Ground coverage that CAP28 has

WIP (2/3)
Temporary File2.png

Also liked this Red beetle and tail spikes color, not sure about the smoke though

Last edited:
Final Submission

CAP 28 Shiny WIP 10.png

I decided to change the pale green to a pale blue color, it blends better with the dark blue on the back of the tale than the pale green.

Final Submission

ShinyFinal4.png

Altered the values slightly. I don’t expect to make any more changes before the deadline.

Last edited:
Final Submission

I tried about four variants before settling on this. It was distinct enough from the other submissions that I was happy to run with it.

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

Most people on discord have unanimously agreed that the green was more successful than the yellow.

Final Submission

sorry I couldn't for some reason get the Miasmaw with the new colors on so this is the best I have to offer.
fire=red; there's a Japanese "bug" dragon that is the purple color so I based it off that.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)