CAP 28 - Prevo # Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
CAP 28 So Far

-----

All right, we're making this one quick! Here is our winning design for CAP 28, courtesy of Golurkyourself:

How many pre-evolutions do you think this design should have (None, One, or Two), and why? This thread will be open for 24 hours, after which we will open the poll for this stage.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
I'm perfectly fine with this just being a single stage, so I'm pulling for None.

It seems like a cohesive enough design to not need a baby form. I wouldn't be opposed to One if it absolutely came to it, but no way do I see this as a Two-stager.

sun_dew

formerly JAGFL
is a Pre-Contributor
Though this design would fit in without prevos, I much prefer having One prevo. The design is relatively complex, and there is definitely room for simplification, exploring of smaller parts of the design, etc.

I definately see this as a 2 stage dragon. I just really can't see any scenario where you'd encounter this form in the game just like that, so a prevo can help that. It also really looks like an Astrolotl counterpart, seeing how it has that sort of ninja vibe to contrast Astrolotl's magician vibe. One

Either None or One are acceptable options. This Pokemon definitely fits along the lines of :Durant: or :Crustle:. At the very least, it is not a three stage evoltuion. Most Bugs that have a 3 stage evolution have a chrysalis or cocoon middle stage. The possible exceptions of :Whirlipede: and :Swadloon: still at least match the aesthetic at first glance.

Our bug here does not look like it should be following the larva -> chrysalis -> adult pattern.

EDIT: Looking at our BST like other brough up, One seems to be our best choice.

Last edited:
i believe that One is the way to go here, the desing is quite complex already so it would work just fine

also it'll help as a parallelism with :syclant:

Imo I think that none is the way to go here. I feel like the design gives off the same energy as something like Durant, Turtonator, or Hawlucha.

Zetalz

Expect nothing, deliver less
is a Pre-Contributor
None works fine for this one. One prevo could work but the design is already simple enough to not need something to extrapolate on it. I see this as similar to mons like Drampa and Turtonator, drampa in particular as it's a very strong single stage dragon.

I'm gonna go against the grain here and actually recommend two pre-evos. I like the idea of it transforming into a dragon via a pupa or chrysalis, and beetles do go through a larva and pupa stage of development. Maybe making the pupa like a "dragon egg" could be a cool way to go as well.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Imo I think that none is the way to go here. I feel like the design gives off the same energy as something like Durant, Turtonator, or Hawlucha.
This was my exact thought. There are whole bunches of Pokemon that look exactly like this that have no pre-evolutions. This design is simplistic enough that it absolutely does not warrant a pre-evo in my opinion. Here are some more single-stage Pokemon that fit the same mold and design as our CAP28 design:

Pinsir, Tauros, Lapras, Aerodactyl, Heracross, Miltank, Sableye, Mawile, Seviper, Tropius, Carnivine, Maractus, Druddigon, Furfrou, Passimian, Zeraora, and Duraludon

All of these Pokemon are relatively simplistic in their design, and could have a pre-evolution, but really are well-fitted without them. CAP28 feels like it's in the exact same mold as these Pokemon, to me personally.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Design wise 0 or 1 is appropriate.

however, based on BST I think having one prevo seems best. If this were a single stage non-legendary Pokemon I believe it would have the highest BST of any such mon in the game, except for Wishiwashi, who has an ability that helps hold it back and makes it unique. A two-stage line probably makes it more consistent with other similar BST mons including our own creations Jumbao, Kerfluffle, Plasmanta, and Astrolotl.

this would just be a VERY strong pokemon to encounter as is in the wild.

I think one is the right choice here
two-mon lines that i think fit right in with our body type:
:clauncher:/:clawitzer:
:dwebble:/:crustle:
:corphish:/:crawdaunt:

while it does have a small body and this would be valid for most types, a lot of 2 and 3-stage bugs have small bodies and for bug types it doesnt really seem to dictate their line size (consider beedrill, ninjask, ribombee, basically every early bug 3-stage line etc). plus we have a giant bst that is very unlikely to be found on a one-stage mon running around and a prevo would kinda help justify this.

0 is the other route id go for, and out of the two its probably more fun to have a prevo stage than not, so im going for one.

The thing is Birk, most of the pokemon you mentioned are rather uncommon to encounter and I do't see our bug/dragon being especially hard to get. And, once again, the Astrolotl parallels. Astrolotl looks like it appears in the day, while CAP 28 would probably scare you during night. I can definately see there being 2 trainee prevos evolving into 2 different mons related to different times of day. I'd also like to point out that most of the mons you mentioned are extremely "This is a slight modification of [animal]"

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I go with one, purely due to the assertion that a Pokémkn with this high of a BST wouldn't be single staged in actuality.

dex

10 wolf, 3 shepherd, 1 sheep, led leopard
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'm gonna be a sheep here and say one, but for a different reason. The closest mons to CAP28's BST are Archeops, Arcanine, and Volcarona, all single-evolution lines (Florges is close too, but that's a stone line that has an alternate form second evo and is just weird). Therefore, I think one prevo would be appropriate.

I'm voting for None or One. The Pokemon looks good enough as-is. It also gives off a more Zangoose/Sharpedo vibe than a Blaziken vibe, if that makes sense.

Magic Mayhem Maiden

formerly CorruptionInTheGovernment
This design should have one prevo, it could easily have a stage one mon, and while no prevos is good as well, the BST is 569, which is pretty high for a mon without evolutions.

I think this design is very complete on its own, similar to Duraludon and Durant. However, I can see people's concerns with its high BST. Volcarona has the highest BST of non-legendary, non-mega bug-types at 550, so I could see this evolutionary line taking a similar route with one prevo.

None or one seems to fit this one. I'm leaning more towards one atm. The design reminds me of Clawitzer, another mon with a large cannon-y aesthetic. As such, i feel if we do go with a prevo, it would be a fun transition from small little bug, to a massive towering dragon.

I could see the argument of two prevos made, CAP 28 being the classic early game 3 stage bug-mon on steroids. Similar designs would be Vikavolt, or Scoilipede to name a few. While i think that would be fun for flavour, i'd be less sold on this choice

MrPanda

not a bear
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
None or, at most, One prevo is the right way to go because of the many reasons stated here. Also, the vast majority of beetle-like mon have one or two stages evolutive line, the only two exceptions being Vikavolt and Orbeetle.

Last edited:

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Going with One. This particular mon has incredibly outstanding stats, and it's rare for single stagers to have stats like 135 in an offense. Dhelmise is the only Pokemon I can think of that is similar in this regard (131 in Attack), but I think since Bugs (and indeed, Dragons) so heavily focus on evolution, a single prevo would be appropriate.

This design reminds me more of Escavalier than it does Heracross or Pinsir.

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
I really don't want another prevo, but I agree that one is probably the best option here due to the high bst. I think all other arguments better support being a single stage, but you really can't get around those stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)